Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Standard Blended Scotch

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

best blended

The Famous Grouse
16%
Bell's
3%
Whyte & Mackay
6%
Cutty Sark
6%
J & B
No votes
Teacher's
34%
Grant's
13%
Chivas Regal
13%
Johnny Walker Red
No votes
Ballantine's
3%
Crawford's 3 Star
No votes
(The) Claymore
No votes
Dewar's
6%

Total votes : 32

Standard Blended Scotch

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:24 pm

Which resonably priced blended do you like best?

Please note - we are talking about these brands' cheapest version.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Scotched » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:31 pm

I voted for Teachers. Mostly because of a bottle that my father had kept unopened for 30 years since he was a pub landlord. It was stunning, certainly better than every blend I've had since and many of the blander single malts.

Either whisky does develop in the bottle or the blends of yesteryear were of a far better quality. I believe the latter.

Todays Teachers isn't a bad dram but I find its better after its been opened a while. Of the others I'm fond of J&B rare as I first cut my teeth on this one and Grants Family reserve is very good value.
Scotched

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:37 pm

The Grant's triangular bottle is always quite eyecatching.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Scotched » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 pm

Marvin wrote:The Grant's triangular bottle is always quite eyecatching.

My favourite bottle is the Jura. A nice dumpy bottle with a feeling of substance. Pity, I'm not so fond of what it contains... The Balvenie bottles look great too, like ancient medicine bottles. Of the blends, Johnnie Walker's square shape appeals most.

Mind you, whats in them counts for more and Laphroaig's minimalist style has never put me off...
Scotched

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:08 pm

Scotched wrote:

My favourite bottle is the Jura. A nice dumpy bottle with a feeling of substance.

Hmm, I have to say I find the Jura bottle just looks "odd".
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:10 pm

Scotched wrote:

Mind you, whats in them counts for more and Laphroaig's minimalist style has never put me off...

Yeah but that's not a blended!
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Scotched » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:21 pm

Marvin wrote:
Scotched wrote:

I do know that! Anyhow, all whisky is blended unless they're single cask.
Scotched

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Scotched wrote:
Marvin wrote:
Scotched wrote:

I do know that! Anyhow, all whisky is blended unless they're single cask.

Oooooooooh!
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:19 pm

Teachers for me too .... I always over looked this until I heard Jim Murray talk about blends on one of Mark's Whisky Casts. Murray specifically mention Teachers and the next time I was at the pub I tried one then another and another.....

Well put it this way for such a cheap scotch blend is was great. I've had many other blends but usually find them too sweet and sugary ...
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:00 am

I've tried most of the list and Cutty Sark comes in head's and shoulders over the rest for me. My second choice would be Teachers or Grant's Ale cask - but that's not on the list. The regular Grant's is rather pedestrian IMHO...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:37 am

I like Teachers, Grant's Family Reserve, Catto's and J&B, the latter being quite malty. I have fond memories of drinking it on the way home from Scotland at 30,000 feet. I like JW Black in that environment also even though it's not the cheapest, I'm just rambling.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:38 am

Interesting selection, particularly as you've mixed deluxe blends in there.

(For example, Chivas Regal is a deluxe 12yo and costs twice as much as Johnnie Walker Red - yet we're making them compete in the same contest).

(Although for the record, I'd take a JW Red over Chivas Regal any day!!) :)

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:54 am

Dewer's White Label is by far my favorite of the lot with Cutty Sark as the runner-up and 1 not mentioned, Islay Mist.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:02 am

I have fond memories of both Ballantine's and Johnnie Walker but I think I'll go with John Player Special. Not an option on this poll though...
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Thomas H. » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:25 pm

Black Bottle 10 years old. You can get it for 20 euros over here, best modern blend I know off.
Thomas H.

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:36 pm

From the list I like Teacher's and Grant's Family reserve. Just opened the Grant's last night and was impressed for such a bargain bottle ($9US). Supposedly lots of Balvenie and Glenfiddich in there. Also like White Horse and would like to try a Ballantine's, the 12 maybe. Is it considerably better than the "Finest"?
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Re: Standard Blended Scotch

Postby hilliamash » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:16 pm

Nobody here has mentioned White Horse. For me....it's my everyday dram. She's got smoothness with a nice portion of Islay for enjoyment. I would put it up against any of the standard blends, and most of the so-called "premium" blended whiskies. If a person has to have a premium....White Horse 12 works there, too. Yum Yum.... :thumbsup:
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Scotched wrote:Teachers isn't a bad dram but I find its better after its been opened a while.

I have found the same thing - seems to take the edge off of it.

At a recent gathering, another whisky fan offered what I thought was a great categorization of Teacher's: He termed it his "Kitchen Whisky", meaning (in a very positive sense) that it was the everyday whisky that he always kept a bottle of around.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:14 am

With an eye toward saving money I've tried to develop an appreciation for standard blends, including Grant's and White Horse which Jim Murray rates highly, but after single malts they just seem lacking in flavor. Pleasant enough, but nothing to make you go "ahhh...". I do find Teacher's acceptable as an everyday dram, though.

Jon B
Jon Barleycorn

Postby captainfudgie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:03 pm

Hello Gang, I am brand new to this forum. I am one who's budget does not often allow the consumption of pricey single-malts. So I am a bit of a bargain hunter trying to find good inexpensive whiskeys.I refuse to drink crap just because it is cheap. If one looks there are some good inexpensive whiskeys to be had.That is why I drink mainly Bourbon because that is where the best value is here in the U.S. Wild Turkey 101 is my usual standard but I enjoy a good dram of Scotch also. Of the ones your voting on I think Teacher's is the clear choice, The Famous Grouse is pretty decent also. One inexpensive blend that has not been mentioned is John Barr.Their bottom of the line Red is better than JW Red and less than half the price.See the review of the Red on Tastings.com.Their Black label version is really good stuff and a screaming bargain at about $19.00 U.S. for the 1 liter bottle.They also have a Gold version and also a Blue label that is suppose to compete with JW Blue. I have not sampled any myself but I have seen reviews online from those who swear that although it might not match the JW Blue , it is not far off and at about 1/5 the cost is a unbelievable bargain.
captainfudgie

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder