Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet 18 or French Oak?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Glenlivet 18 YO
69%
Glenlivet French Oak 15 YO
31%

Total votes : 13

Postby Drammer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:10 pm

What do you think is better?

edit: I'm asking this as an advice for my next purchase.
The French Oak sounds interesting, but the 18 seems like a more complex dram, I'm just not sure. :?
Drammer

Postby Dubois » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:37 pm

15 Yr French Oak for me... :D
I was disapointed by the 18 Yrs :cry:
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:45 pm

Haven't tried the FO yet, but I liked the 18yr old! Just not sure about the price...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:34 pm

I thought the 15yo French Oak Reserve to be more complex in nose and palate. The light floral fragrance and spiced fruit flavors just worked better, IMHO. The 18yo was finished over a year ago, so I may have to revisit if it goes on sale, but next up is the 16yo Nadurra waiting in the wings, but I will replace the 15yo FOR when it is gone. Also have a 21yo Archive waiting its turn. I am SO far behind. :roll:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Drammer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:40 pm

Hmm, interesting, now I really don't know what to try.

I dont have any whisky over 15 years so I might just get the 18 juist so that I have an 18YO :P
Drammer

Postby pavv » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:21 am

If you want a nice whisky of 18 years old, there is no need to buy The Glen Livet 18....The French Oak 15 is a much livelier drink.

If you wanna get an 18 just for the 18's sake you'd better go the Talisker 18 way!
pavv

French Oak ?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:55 am

I'm leery of trying the French Oak 15 ever since I had a dram of the Glenlivet 12 yo French Limosin Oak which gave me an instant pounding headache. So, I would lean towards the Glenlivet 18, which I don't have one in the lair anymore.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:01 pm

I have recently bought the Glenlivet 18. It's a good dram, and worth its price. I find it has some spicy ginger tones and a slighly oaky finish. I find it to be very smooth. Admitedly, I'm no Michael Jackson or Jim Murray.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Drammer » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:57 pm

I think i'll go for the french oak first, it's slightly cheaper, but i'll try the 18 eventually...
Drammer

Re: French Oak ?

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:09 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:I'm leery of trying the French Oak 15 ever since I had a dram of the Glenlivet 12 yo French Limosin Oak which gave me an instant pounding headache. So, I would lean towards the Glenlivet 18, which I don't have one in the lair anymore.
Muskrat Portage

The Glenlivet 12 yo French Limosin Oak didn't impress me like the 15yo F.O.R. The 12 was dominated by the wood and the 15 has a sweet/spicy balance that sets it apart. I really used to overlook Glenlivet, but now I have very high regard for what they do.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:40 pm

jimidrammer wrote:........ the 15 has a sweet/spicy balance that sets it apart. I really used to overlook Glenlivet, but now I have very high regard for what they do.

I've never had a Glenlivet before and it's a cheap single malt over here. What other whiskies would you compare with the 15 French Oak?
Mr Fjeld

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:23 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
jimidrammer wrote:........ the 15 has a sweet/spicy balance that sets it apart. I really used to overlook Glenlivet, but now I have very high regard for what they do.

I've never had a Glenlivet before and it's a cheap single malt over here. What other whiskies would you compare with the 15 French Oak?

Maybe Glenfiddich 15yo Solera Reserve or Glenmorangie 15yo are in the same ballpark as Glenlivet 15yo French Oak Reserve. Sorta like I would put Balvenie, Glenfarclas and Glenrothes in the same category, although each has their own signature flavor.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:17 pm

jimidrammer wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:

Maybe Glenfiddich 15yo Solera Reserve or Glenmorangie 15yo are in the same ballpark as Glenlivet 15yo French Oak Reserve. Sorta like I would put Balvenie, Glenfarclas and Glenrothes in the same category, although each has their own signature flavor.

Thanks Jimidrammer! Think I'll have to get it later on. From the impressions I've seen here it's a dram worth drinking - not bland?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:22 pm

I haven't had too much exposure to Glenlivet OB's--they are a victim of my ubiquity and Glen prejudices--but the distillery really landed on my radar screen during my trip this year, when we had several outstanding examples. As well, the distillery occupies a pivotal position in the history of distilling, and, while it is obviously what's in the glass that counts, that enhances my appreciation of who they are and what they do.

I did have the French Oak somewhere sometime, and I'm sorry I can't provide a tasting note, but I do recall finding it an interesting and distinctive dram. Doesn't mean you'll like it, but I don't think it's a bland waste of time.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:16 pm

I have always liked the 18yo. Much underrated IMHO.
I tasted the 15 FO a couple of monthys ago and it didn't register that much. I've got an unopened bottle in the cupboard and I think I'd need to give it a good seeing to before giving a fair response in comparison to the 18yo.
I think you'd be reasonably safe with either though :wink:
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder