Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

JW Black Label

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What do yuou think about JW Black Label?

An excellent deluxe blend
41%
A mid-class blend-there are far more betters
34%
Does not deserve to be claimed as "deluxe"
14%
I've never tried
11%

Total votes : 118

Re: JW Black Label

Postby Aeolus » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:06 pm

Aidan wrote:I think Black Label is excellent. I am having the Gold Label now and it's brilliant. Also have the blue and green here. Green not as good as Gold, in my opinion.

I agree entirely, Aidan. Although, between Green and Gold it constantly changes as to which is better (probably the last one I had).
:roll:

Every time I have had Blue though, I've felt kind of guilty about what I could of had for that money instead.
:oops: :roll:
Aeolus

Postby Aidan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:20 pm

Aeolus wrote:
Aidan wrote:I think Black Label is excellent. I am having the Gold Label now and it's brilliant. Also have the blue and green here. Green not as good as Gold, in my opinion.

I agree entirely, Aidan. Although, between Green and Gold it constantly changes as to which is better (probably the last one I had).
:roll:

Every time I have had Blue though, I've felt kind of guilty about what I could of had for that money instead.
:oops: :roll:

Aeolus, I bought a pack with the Black, Gold, Green and Blue in it. All 200 ml bottles and not that bad value. Nice presentation too.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aeolus » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:58 pm

Aidan wrote:
"Aeolus, I bought a pack with the Black, Gold, Green and Blue in it. All 200 ml bottles and not that bad value. Nice presentation too."

That's how it was presented here, except they had Red instead of Black. If it had been set up like yours (with Black), I would have really been pleased.
:D :thumbsup:

That sounds like a very nice set! :thumbsup:
Aeolus

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:41 am

...and Black is more fun than Gold, to my great surprise...having just forked out for an 18 Yo "Gold" in duty free. what i was hoping to find was a Glenlivet nadurra...alas, it was not to be. i didn't want to come away empty-handed and JWG seemed the best opportunity, given that Talisker 10, Ardbeg and Laph Quarter Cask are all on offer at the moment in UK.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Aeolus » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:51 am

Reggaeblues wrote:...and Black is more fun than Gold, to my great surprise...having just forked out for an 18 Yo "Gold" in duty free. what i was hoping to find was a Glenlivet nadurra...alas, it was not to be. i didn't want to come away empty-handed and JWG seemed the best opportunity, given that Talisker 10, Ardbeg and Laph Quarter Cask are all on offer at the moment in UK.

Interesting that you liked Black better, Reggaeblues! :o :thumbsup:

But come on, Reggaeblues, comparing any JW with Talisker 10, Ardbeg and Laph Quarter Cask is just not fair! I'd take anyone of those over any JW any day!
:( :headbang:
Aeolus

Postby dmcreyno » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:18 am

I wonder . . .

When I first started taking courses for my masters degree, one of the classes was just about research methods in general. There are various classes of publications. By and large, the "reviewers" write for publications intended for mass consumption and supported primarily by advertisements. So, the reviews will always tend to find some positive trait and write about that. They will always tend to shy away from the negative. They do this so as to not offend the producer of the product because of the possible loss of ad revenue.

Therefore, I am not surprised by the positive reviews. The trick is to read enough of a particular reviewer until you can effectively read between the lines.

Of the ones you quote only Jackson is familiar. I noticed earlier someone said the JWB burned all the way down. Note that Jackson uses "(d)eceptively gentle at first". Hmmm . . . makes one wonder, doesn't it? :|

bongoman wrote:Everyone seems so unconvinced about JW Black.

And yet the Whisky Mag reviewers all give it top marks.

Dave Broom gives it 9.5 and states
The benchmark. Unconvinced by blends? Try this.

Michael Jackson believes that JB Black is
(d)eceptively gentle at first. I have on occasion been completely led astray by what seems to be mildness of this whiskey, then taken on a journey of rediscovery. I find new flavours every time.

Paul Pacult speaks highly of it as well in Whisky Mag and elsewhere Jim Murray is quoted thus
Each day I have some 6,000 whiskies to choose from for a social dram if I want one. And at least once a week I will sample a Black Label. While the single malt revolution continues unabated, it is a shame that whisky lovers do not use this as a yardstick. They will find that very few malts can match this for complexity. This is the Savoy, the Everest of Deluxe Whiskies: there is not a blender who would not give their right arm - or even their left one - for the recipe of this supreme whisky. The trouble is, even if they had it, they would then struggle to find the stock. It represents probably the best value for money of any whisky in the world.

I'm curious why forum members are ho-hum about JW Black and yet the reviewers are so enthusiastic?
dmcreyno

Postby Aidan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:43 am

On the other hand, maybe it's just a great whisky. I think it is anyway, whether the reviewers are writing in code or not.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what the reviewers write, if you don't like it yourself.
Aidan

Postby hook55 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:56 am

I have never tried it, but I have bad memories with JW red (I think) a long time ago (maybe 14 years?) thats what made me change to Bourbon been drinking ever since until a friend put me onto malts last year. he gave me Glenfiddich 12y.o.mixed with coke and ice!!! :shock: I had finished a bottle of Makers Mark bourbon the bar did not have anymore! :cry: my friend knew I did not like scotch so he did not tell me what it was. I thought not bad :P so I had another until I was drinking it neat. I was hooked after that. been drink malts ever since, trying to find as many different malts as I can. but so far the Highland Speyside malts are the ones I like best.
hook55
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:24 am

I have tried a few drams of JWB in a bar on a few occasions. I think it is okay, but would probably never buy it. For blended scotch, I think there is must better for a better price. I think it is a bit rough going down.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:29 am

If you really like the Speyside Malts (my favourite Scotches too), the try, if you can get them, Irish whiskey, especially Redbreast, Jameson 12 yr old, Power's 12 yr old. They taste like ultra-smooth Speysides. Irish whiskey is smoother because it gets an extra distillation.
Gearóidmuar

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Gearóidmuar wrote:The best-selling Irish whiskey is Jameson, the ordinary one. It's not the best-selling in Ireland, where Power's is king.

Hi Gearóid, I agree that Powers is king in Ireland but I fear the Jameson has over taken it purely down to the mixer brigade and the high media exposure it gets .... for the life I don't know why they don't push Powers as much as Jameson :roll:

Gearóidmuar wrote:The top Irish whiskeys are all blends, of good stuff of course. Whereas some of the Scotch blends include some pretty ropy stuff, made palatable by better stuff.

Yep pretty spot on there ... luckily for us we don't have the tourist bottles and bargain basement scene going on in our whiskey :thumbsup:

Gearóidmuar wrote:All single malt means, as far as I understand, is that it comes from one distillery, and not necessary from one barrel.

True in a way as it could technically be considered a blend of different barrels but I suppose we have to concede that a great single malt is more than lightly going to be better than a great blend. :wink: However what a grain whiskey does when mixed with a malt is tone down the brutality of some malts and adds an extra dimetion if done properly. What we enthusiats sometimes forget is that the majority of regular whiskey drinkers cannot face some of the big bold malts. Single malts tend to be heavier affairs than blends and it is not to everyone palate. And you can't really argue with the stats .... blends sell 9-10 times that of single malts. Therefore the blend has a huge and very important place in the whisky industry.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby mathews » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:28 am

Of course, blends outsell single malts by a wide margin. Why? They are less expensive by a wide margin. If the price was equal, then blends would not exist.
mathews

Postby Gearóidmuar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 am

I imagine that Johnny Walker Black Label outsells a lot of single malts, if not most. It tastes as good as any single malt I've tried, and I've tried lots. Similarly Chivas Regal etc. As for the Irish blends, there are no single malts better than e.g. Jameson 12yr old, not to mind Jameson 12yr old, and to some tastes (not mine) Midleton very rare.

Why should a single malt taste better than an expensive blend?? The only reason I can think of, is wishful thinking! :P :D
Gearóidmuar

Postby Gearóidmuar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:54 am

not to mind 18yr old, I meant to write!
Gearóidmuar

Postby Gov » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:56 am

Just wanted to update my earlier post about JW Black. I think it has grown on me a bit. I bought a mini of it the other day at a liquor store. When I got home, poured it into the Glencairn and sniffed around then tasted. The first thing I thought of was Talisker! Took another sip, Talisker again! I know its not as good as Talisker SM, but it was suprisingly good this time around. I bought a bottle today. I am changing my mind and voting for an excellent blend! One of the best!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby hook55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:01 am

Gov wrote:Just wanted to update my earlier post about JW Black. I think it has grown on me a bit. I bought a mini of it the other day at a liquor store. When I got home, poured it into the Glencairn and sniffed around then tasted. The first thing I thought of was Talisker! Took another sip, Talisker again! I know its not as good as Talisker SM, but it was suprisingly good this time around. I bought a bottle today. I am changing my mind and voting for an excellent blend! One of the best!

Hi Gov, I have not had Black label, but I am drinking green label now and have to admit it also takes a bit like Talisker, don't know if the whole range tastes like it too? but I do like Green label. have you tried it?
hook55
Silver Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:14 am

JW Black is easily my favourite blend for the price. As far as the JW range is concerned, I prefer it to the Red (hideous), Green and even Gold labels. The Blue label is an outstanding blend and probably one of the best whiskies (single malts included!) I've ever tasted, but for sheer value you cannot go wrong with JW Black!
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:11 am

hook55 wrote:
Gov wrote:Just wanted to update my earlier post about JW Black. I think it has grown on me a bit. I bought a mini of it the other day at a liquor store. When I got home, poured it into the Glencairn and sniffed around then tasted. The first thing I thought of was Talisker! Took another sip, Talisker again! I know its not as good as Talisker SM, but it was suprisingly good this time around. I bought a bottle today. I am changing my mind and voting for an excellent blend! One of the best!

Hi Gov, I have not had Black label, but I am drinking green label now and have to admit it also takes a bit like Talisker, don't know if the whole range tastes like it too? but I do like Green label. have you tried it?

Yes, I have tried green label and YES it is better than black. It is a vatted malt and has no grain in it. So a bit different than black.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:22 am

TheTross wrote:JW Black is easily my favourite blend for the price. As far as the JW range is concerned, I prefer it to the Red (hideous), Green and even Gold labels. The Blue label is an outstanding blend and probably one of the best whiskies (single malts included!) I've ever tasted, but for sheer value you cannot go wrong with JW Black!

I must be missing something with regards Blue Label. I have tried it several times under different circumstances and have never been that impressed. The point of Black Label is that it is has a very well-balanced maltiness and sweetness due to the fact that it is all held in there by the seam of peat smoke. Blue Label lacks that 'grip' and loses everything to the smoothness of the unpeated whiskies.
Black Label every time for me!
The Whisky Lounge

Postby mikeymad » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:27 pm

I think that it is an okay blend. But I think that there are better ones out there, for not too much more. I will choose most Single malts over it.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Scotched » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:20 pm

Just sipping a JW Black as I wait for the Cheltenham festival to start. Its been a while, since I've mostly been drinking malts of late. I've always liked it but it seems to taste even better today. Theres something about this drink that really suits me. I don't find it at all harsh as an unkind reviewer stated previously.

Gentle peat smoke and honey that has a silk edge. A truly great blend. Not to be missed at the price.
Scotched

Postby Gearóidmuar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:14 am

The notion that "single malts" are intrinsically better than good blends, is no more than that, a notion. Things are as good as they are, not as good as you wish them to be. One should not confuse this contention with the knowledge that most cheap whiskies are blends, of the drinkable with the undrinkable.
Stepping up a level from that, you're into different territory.
Gearóidmuar

Postby Ras Mazunga » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:08 am

What are the far more better ones?
Comparable to BL imo are Chivas 18 an Imperial 12 classic, but the Black label stays te best. Green is not my.
Ballantines 21 is also very nice but too expensive(more than 4 bottles of BL)
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:05 am

I have drunk few Scottish blends, but Chivas Regal is good.
Indeed personal taste is important.

The very highly-regarded Midleton Very Rare which is 120 euro a bottle does indeed have phenomenal aftertaste, but the taste before you swallow it, is to me rather bland. I find Cabernet Sauvignon overpowering in taste and Chardonnay is the same for me.
Gearóidmuar

Postby Stewart » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:39 am

You know, it was after I finished a bottle of JW Black last year that I really started to explore the wonderful world of whiskies. I found JW Black raisiny and dark with some peat. Since then, I've developed a taste for Speyside malts. I also enjoyed a bottle of Famous Grouse 18. And I've had a mini of Chivas Regal 12 (maybe I'll still try the 18, though some say it isn't worth the money).

Tonight, I tried some JW Black again, but it just tasted muddy and spicy to me, with some peat plus a light mustard-vinegar type note. I would prefer other blends to JW Black, but having gotten into single malts, that's where more of my interest will remain.
Stewart

Postby Gearóidmuar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am

Stewart,

be aware that your sense of taste is not constant. It's very much dependent on mood, and also what you've recently consumed.

As an example of that, to me, in the right mood, Redbreast is THE finest whiskey. Most of the time I find the taste rather weak. In a particular mood, I find Laphroaig's initial taste foul, on other occasions, like last night, I love it.

This is not only so for taste, but for your other senses as well. This is not widely known. :evil: :D :x :P
Gearóidmuar

Postby bjorn » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 am

Sipping a little JWB right now, it is very pleasant. A bit like a thinner, less intense Talisker. Not bad for the price. I've never been able to commit to a full bottle though, only minis. Perhaps I would have a different opinion if I bought a bottle.

-Bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby I_SPEY » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:23 pm

I find the JWB indeed ' A mid-class blend-there are far more betters ', but I do like the whisky! I also am in the lucky possession of JWGreen, JWGold and JWBlue :) With the JWR, sorry to say, I would not even brush my teeth. :insane:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Although I really like JWB, I find White Horse and Teachers a bit better and a better value!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:00 am

I don't mind the Black Label although I prefer the Green over it. I'm still in my whisky buying hiatus until I've emptied the last of the 10th bottle but hope to make some serious inroads on my birthday on the 4th.

Then I may pick up another Green for the Lair.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby kyorke1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:28 pm

Quite possibly one of the worst whisky's I have ever tried, right down there with Famous Grouse. :yuk:
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby hilliamash » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:44 pm

Oh, I don't know...I quite like it.
The worst of the worst in my opinion is Ballentine's Blended followed by Dewars White Label.

I quite literally felt the only proper use for the Ballentine's was as de-icing fluid. The Dewar's is only marginally better IMHO. :D

Teacher's, White Horse, Clan MacGregor, and Inverhouse's Green Plaid are 4 of the better ones to my humble palate. The more that I drink Teacher's...the more I realize its true value. :lol:
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:49 am

kyorke1 wrote:Quite possibly one of the worst whisky's I have ever tried, right down there with Famous Grouse. :yuk:

Try it again, then. It's actually rather excellent.

The worst whisky I've tried, by a mile, is Jack Daniels. Followed by Tesco's Scotch. Canadian Club is right up there as well, as well as some Breton whiskey I tried.

The Best, Talisker, Jameson 12yr old, Caol Ila, Lagavullin, Aberlour, Redbreast, Tyrconnell, Connemara, Black Label, Green Label, Jura, Glenkinchie, Arran.
My top three. Jameson 12yr old, Arran Single Malt 10yr old, Tyrconnell.

Tomorrow I might have a different opinion. Taste is like shifting sands. :iwbrnt:
Gearóidmuar

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:22 am

It is indeed. And the same whisky never tastes exactly the same twice! Could add many more to your list - Ardbeg, a good old Macallan, Springbank, some Bowmores...but we're discussing blends here.

JWB is OK if the pub has nothing else...has anyone tried Black Bottle? Extremely cheap - v.good for what it is. Also Blackbush balck label...i actually prefer it to bushmills SM 10YO>

But Compass box Asyla has to be the best blend i ever had, though it's hardly a "street cred" dram which is what we seem to discussing here!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 pm

JW Red used to be my staple whisky. Then, it because JW Black. The black is better than the red but the gold is much better than the black based on taste. I had the blue once and I was not impressed so I am not buying it again. Never had the green yet.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder