Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

JW Black Label

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What do yuou think about JW Black Label?

An excellent deluxe blend
41%
A mid-class blend-there are far more betters
34%
Does not deserve to be claimed as "deluxe"
14%
I've never tried
11%

Total votes : 118

Re: JW Black Label

Postby jazz lover » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:07 pm

JW Black is very good, JW Gold is Excellent !
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:42 pm

I twice tasted Gold and was much impressed. bought a bottle in duty Free and found it singularly unimpressive...bad batch maybe, but I won't be buying again.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Gov » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:42 pm

But, Johnnie Walker Green is the best of the Walker bunch!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:45 pm

hilliamash wrote:Inverhouse's Green Plaid

The stuff is $5.50 for 750ml bottle, is this really pretty good? Tasting notes please. I would be interested in how it stands up to Grants, Teachers, Grouse, White Horse.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby OKDiver1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:48 pm

I enjoyed JWB a few years ago, following a trip to Singapore where it was the hotel's standard call drink. I had a few bottles after that. Then, nothing for about 4 or 5 years. I got a couple last year, if only for sentimental reasons. It was nothing like I remembered, which was rich, dense, smokey and thick.

And then I had again on a plane on two or three different occasions. It was absolutely wonderful. I do not know if everything tends to taste better when flying, but I thoroughly enjoy JWB when on a plane.
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:17 pm

I've both Green and Black at the moment. I find Black as good as nearly all the single malts I've had, and that's lots. Green is more complex and is lovely. People should forget this single malts vs. blend stuff. True, the common blends are cheap and have grain whiskey etc. in them, but the good blends are as good as anything and better than many. Irish whiskey has very few single malts, as we don't have the single malt snobbery virus!. Most of the great wines are blends. Who ever heard of a single bush wine? Or a single acre beer?
Gearóidmuar

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Gov wrote:But, Johnnie Walker Green is the best of the Walker bunch!

Agreed! And by quite a distance too, IMHO.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:14 pm

OKDiver1 wrote:I enjoyed JWB a few years ago, following a trip to Singapore where it was the hotel's standard call drink. I had a few bottles after that. Then, nothing for about 4 or 5 years. I got a couple last year, if only for sentimental reasons. It was nothing like I remembered, which was rich, dense, smokey and thick.

And then I had again on a plane on two or three different occasions. It was absolutely wonderful. I do not know if everything tends to taste better when flying, but I thoroughly enjoy JWB when on a plane.

I think location, and even frame of mind has a bearing on how much you enjoy a certain drink. I remember drinking JW Red whilst on a snowboarding holiday a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it after a hard, tiring day on the piste (steady now!) - so much so that I bought a 1L bottle in duty free to drink at home. Once at home, however, it tasted nothing like what it did when on holiday and I really didn't like it, so I ended up 'accidentally' leaving it at a friend's house so that his dad could mix it with ginger ale.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:19 am

Sherried Malt wrote:

Agreed! And by quite a distance too, IMHO.

Also agree - I've never really had a problem with JW Black before, but then I had Green at a tasting on Monday night, and then came home and had Black.

Huge difference. :yuk:

Green is the only way to go, IMO - and with the savings of about US$150 over Blue ( :D ) I think it is the best purchase for a blend in this line.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:31 am

TheTross wrote:
OKDiver1 wrote:I enjoyed JWB a few years ago, following a trip to Singapore where it was the hotel's standard call drink. I had a few bottles after that. Then, nothing for about 4 or 5 years. I got a couple last year, if only for sentimental reasons. It was nothing like I remembered, which was rich, dense, smokey and thick.

I think location, and even frame of mind has a bearing on how much you enjoy a certain drink. I remember drinking JW Red whilst on a snowboarding holiday a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it after a hard, tiring day on the piste (steady now!) - so much so that I bought a 1L bottle in duty free to drink at home. Once at home, however, it tasted nothing like what it did when on holiday and I really didn't like it, so I ended up 'accidentally' leaving it at a friend's house so that his dad could mix it with ginger ale.

Haha...anytime there are no choices and fatigue involved, any whisky can taste like a desireable whisky. That being said, I really enjoyed JW Black at Paradise Island in Disney World after 90F+ degrees, high humidity, all day at the park and the only whisky available.

:thumbsup:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:11 am

Hey Gov,

Yes, the Green Plaid is better than the price would indicate. It's definitely a young spirit from my tasting, and a grain heavy blend, but got a whiff of smoke in there as well. I would say that it's definitely worth the try for the $. I didn't think about trying this one at first, but Jim Murray gave it a 90/100 score, so I thought, "What the heck." I have to admit that it was quite tasty for a cheap....err...value blend. :-D Mind you, I think that WH and Teacher's is better...but on a hot day, I enjoy the Plaid. See what you think.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks! I may have to give it a try. I may pick up Clan MacGregor as well. I think Jim Murray speaks highly of that blend as well.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby kyorke1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:06 am

Gearóidmuar wrote:
kyorke1 wrote:Quite possibly one of the worst whisky's I have ever tried, right down there with Famous Grouse. :yuk:

Try it again, then. It's actually rather excellent.

I can see myself trying Black Label again after reading a lot of the comments, admittedly, when I first tried Black Label, I was only just starting to get into whisky.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 pm

kyorke1 wrote:
Gearóidmuar wrote:
kyorke1 wrote:Quite possibly one of the worst whisky's I have ever tried, right down there with Famous Grouse. :yuk:

Try it again, then. It's actually rather excellent.

I can see myself trying Black Label again after reading a lot of the comments, admittedly, when I first tried Black Label, I was only just starting to get into whisky.

Try it again for sure, it is much better after getting your taste for whisky
Gov
Gold Member

Postby vengey » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Just finished my first bottle off yesterday. I received it at Christmas and it has lasted a few weekends since then.

I enjoyed it but not as much as I do most malts. I find I needed to be in just the right mood to go to this one. I would generally have it in the late afternoon time, as opposed to evenings for others.

I offered this to a few people who don't usually drink Whisky and they all enjoyed it. It does seem to be an easy drinker.
vengey

Postby Gov » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Was at a wedding reception last night and drank quite a few drams of JWB. It was magnificent!! I like this blend more and more with each tasting of it. When drinking it outdoors, I was getting a lot of black licorice.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:39 am

I really do respect JWBL and enjoy the odd drink if it's offered to me but I just can't reconcile spending the money on this when I can almost buy Ardbeg 10 or HP12 for the same.
If we stick with blends I actually prefer Ballantine's 12, Dewars or Grants.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:07 am

Ganga wrote:I just find it a little to "spirity" for myself. Now Johnny Gold.... :D

I quite agree!

In general, a lot of people turn their nose up at Johnnie Walker regardless of the label (ie. red, black, green, gold and blue). I think this is due in part due to the fact that it is very much in vogue to dismiss it. You see the same thing among wine connosieurs with respect to Robert Mondavi wines. Sometimes a super successful producer becomes fashionable to knock and i think that is the case here.

and now for my low brow opinion . . . .

JW red is absolutely dreadful and should be used on guests you dont like or for mixing.

JW Black is a good benchmark blend that is good value for money. Now if you want to be a bit extravagant . . .

JW Green is good . . . .the Gold very very good (I am a huge fan) and the Blue? its good, but ridiculously over priced.

Bottom line JW Black is a good blend that i think stands up to some Single Malts.

There is a great snobbery about blends versus single malts that i usually cure by blind taste tests of JW Gold to people who turn their noses up to blends. As they blindly praise the JW Gold, I show them that it is indeed a blend. Happens all the time.

Bottom line is what do u think? Do you enjoy it? if so, thats all that matters!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby RogerB » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:43 pm

I've never tried the JW Gold, but of the others I'd probably concur with this. JW Blue is very very good, but it's not $150 better. JW Green is certainly very competitive with anything in the JW line, and for the price it's by far my favorite.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby hilliamash » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:30 am

I do appreciate the JW Green, but it reminds me of White Horse as well. Gov, you get the same from it? I like most of the JW line, and they definitely range from the simple to the complex, but overall enjoyable. However, they are all overpriced, so this prevents full enjoyment of them. :roll:
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:10 am

hilliamash wrote:I do appreciate the JW Green, but it reminds me of White Horse as well. Gov, you get the same from it? I like most of the JW line, and they definitely range from the simple to the complex, but overall enjoyable. However, they are all overpriced, so this prevents full enjoyment of them. :roll:

Are you saying that JWG reminds you of White Horse?
Gov
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 pm

Yeah, the two remind me of each other. Granted, the WH is a bit more spirity and doesn't have that luciousness of a vatted malt, but the flavors are similar to me! Perhaps one of my delusions...I seem to have many. :-D :P
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:07 am

Gearóidmuar wrote:I've both Green and Black at the moment. I find Black as good as nearly all the single malts I've had, and that's lots. Green is more complex and is lovely. People should forget this single malts vs. blend stuff. True, the common blends are cheap and have grain whiskey etc. in them, but the good blends are as good as anything and better than many. Irish whiskey has very few single malts, as we don't have the single malt snobbery virus!. Most of the great wines are blends. Who ever heard of a single bush wine? Or a single acre beer?

I think the scotch (blend or single malt) drinking experience has in part something to do with the mood and atmosphere of a situation. I am fond of JWB partly because I associate it with friendly card games with relatives. It is the only scotch they drink.

Sometimes I drink it alone and think to myself, damn this is good stuff for the price. There is a decent length to it, nice flavour, and interesting smoke and a hint of peat. It is not the best dram out there, but for the price, it is pretty damn good stuff.

Yes, JW Red is dreadful but the black is a world apart.

As one reviewer said, it really is the benchmark that I measure everything else against. There are a lot of Single Malts that dont measure up.

I always enjoy doing a blind taste test on my single malt snob friends and listen to the praise for the dram till i reveal it is JWB.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:23 pm

It's just awful stuff. I even like Red label better. I could barely finish the little bottle I had in my mini-bar. The experts (with all due respect) are plain loco on this one.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:18 pm

talisker10 wrote:It's just awful stuff. I even like Red label better. I could barely finish the little bottle I had in my mini-bar. The experts (with all due respect) are plain loco on this one.

If you happen to be a new to whisk(s)y, your taste will change. When it does, revisit JWB from time to time. You may find that you may grow fond of it. JWB is always worth a revisit.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:20 am

Agree with you Gov.
Definitely worth trying from time to time, not just because your tastes might change but also because the whisky changes too.
I've had some glasses of JWB that really reminded me of Cragganmore and others that seemed heavy on Cardhu and then some that were more integrated and balanced.
Mind you there's very few whisky's I don't respect these days (even blends!).
Think I might buy some JWR & JWB for a head to head.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Agreed, Gov. I didn't care for it initially, but now find it quite tasty.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby talisker10 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:43 am

..you know part of the problem maybe is the night I tried JWB I had three Taliskers at the bar a couple of hours before. Maybe I was unintentionally comparing and JWB is going to lose that one everytime. I'll give it another shot some time.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:16 am

talisker10 wrote:..you know part of the problem maybe is the night I tried JWB I had three Taliskers at the bar a couple of hours before. Maybe I was unintentionally comparing and JWB is going to lose that one everytime. I'll give it another shot some time.

It's funny because the time I tried Talisker it kind of reminded me of JWB. Not so much now though.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder