Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which type of whisky event offers best value for money ?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which type of whisky event , in your opinion , offers best value for money ?

Whisky Live (with the 2007 voucher system)
11%
Whisky Fringe
16%
SMWS Tasting
5%
Whisky Festival Event ( Feis Ile / Spirit of Speyside)
21%
None of the Above
11%
Something Else......(Please State)
37%

Total votes : 19

Which type of whisky event offers best value for money ?

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:29 pm

Just been reading the "comments" about the changes in the way the WL London Voucher system will work and whether it's good or bad value for money . So which , on the list , is better value for money ? My apoligies to non uk members for not including anything from abroad as i don't have experience of any !
Given that .....
Whisky Live is £25 , 5 vouchers, water . food.
Whisky Fringe is £15 , no vouchers , water .
SMWS Tasting is £25 , 5 Drams , water , food .
Whisky Festival could be various combinations !

Personally i think the Whisky Fringe offers the best value for money with a SMWS tasting second.
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:06 pm

Here in Ontario, Canada where the choice is between Whisky Live for $75 with 5 drink vouchers ($2.50 each after that) and no masterclass tickets or The Spirit of Toronto for $95 with unlimited drinks (within reason and care) and no-additional cost masterclasses the obvious winner in my mind is The Spirit of Toronto. Asking people to pay more for drink vouchers when the point is to sample product is just silly in my opinion and worse is to ask them to pay more for masterclasses as you have time for little else if you attend them all.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:52 pm

Of the ones I've read about, I'd probably state The Islasy Festival if I had to pick. Whisky Fringe sounds good though...

edit - I also just thought that Islay and Victoria are places I'd like to visit independantly of any festival, and the addition of a well-run festival...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:24 pm

Ones that give you loads of free drinks. :D
Marvin
Silver Member

Re: Which type of whisky event offers best value for money ?

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:25 pm

I think that generally the Whisky Fringe offers excellent value. However, I think that there are occasional events at the Spirit of Speyside and at Whisky Live Masterclasses that can offer simply unbelievable value. I am minded of the Glenfiddich tasting at Spirit of Speyside when for £20 I got to try 21yo, 30yo, 1966, 1955, Belvenie New Wood and Glenfiddich Bottle Your Own - and in plentiful quantities, and the WL Masterclass at Glasgow where I got to have more than one dram of Ardbeg Double Barrel.

My vote went to Spirit of Speyside simply because the original definition of Whisky Live was for the basic entry (which I think is poor value) rather than the Masterclasses, some of which are excellent value.
Deactivated Member

Postby lohssanami » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:32 pm

I bet MikeyMad and Ganga can chime in on the best value in the States. WoW is $100, but there is supposed to be great food and all you can taste.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:36 pm

I think it is a little harsh to include SMWS in this list since most of the events listed are subsidised by distillers, whereas the SMWS has to pay for the whisky at its tastings. This then means the consumer pays a higher price. However, the quality of the whiskies, speakers and other entertainment can sometimes be very good indeed.
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 pm

I think a lot of the small independents do a great job for the tasting enthusiast. Often they have to buy the whisky too.

I am a sucker for all events that I can make though. Money and time are the only constraints (they are big ones though).
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:49 pm

In the U.S. the SMWS puts on "Single Malt & Scotch Whisky Extravaganza" held accross the United States at several different venues, different dates etc. It costs $115 (members) and $130 (non-members).

But I'm not 100% sure what's included in this price, as this is only my 1st year as a Member, and I've never been to one. So I'll find out when I attend this years event in Boston MA. But if anyone else can offer some more information, that would be great.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:57 pm

lohssanami wrote:I bet MikeyMad and Ganga can chime in on the best value in the States. WoW is $100, but there is supposed to be great food and all you can taste.

That's a great deal indeed! Is it a one day affair? I attended the World of Whiskies in San Francisco in 2006, and I think I spent a little more than that, but that also included a master class. But for good food and all you can taste I'd pay a 100$.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:58 am

Something else:
Privately run whisky tastings or other (local) whisky festivals.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:37 am

I chose 'Something Else' because there are the odd free tastings and they have to be the best :D
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:47 am

Not many comments here about whisky live. The entrance fee this year is £26 plus 1 masterclass of £13 = £39. Which I don't think is too bad. It is in Central London which is not cheap. It would cost that to go a football match. Plus you are going to be there for about 6 hours or so. Although there is the voucher system I came home with a couple of them last year. And to be honest I was tasted out. This price does include some food to.

I've not been yet to any of the other whisky shows. But I do think its worth while. And value for money. :thumbsup:
les taylor

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder