Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

your favourite Campbelltown & Lowlands 10-12yo?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Campbelltown & Lowlands 10-12yo?

Glen Scotia
2
7%
Springbank
16
57%
Auchentoshan
6
21%
Glenkinchie
3
11%
Littlemill 8y/o
1
4%
Inchmurrin
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 28

your favourite Campbelltown & Lowlands 10-12yo?

Postby Marvin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:55 pm

Your favourite Campbelltown & Lowlands 10-12yo?
Marvin
Silver Member
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:47 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Postby Lawrence » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:57 pm

It's a bit odd to compare the Lowland & Campbeltown whiskies, they are very different.
Lawrence
Matured cask
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:07 pm

Lawrence wrote:It's a bit odd to compare the Lowland & Campbeltown whiskies, they are very different.


Yeah, but the Islays are all the same.... :roll:

The problem is what you do with Campbeltown as a category, since it is so small. Lumping it in with lowlands doesn't seem entirely unreasonable. I say we drag our figurative longboat across Tarbert, à la Magnus Barelegs, and declare Kintyre an island.

The regional categorizations are only vaguely pertinent, in any case, so you can do what you want with it as far as I'm concerned.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Lawrence » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:11 pm

Size is not the point :roll: There is a distinct flavour difference between the Campbeltown whiskies and the Lowlands, they are different animals altogether. It might even be the terroir.

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:13 pm

Oh, the terroir.... :shock:
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:38 pm

I can't comment on the size of Campeltown, general flavour profiles, terroir, terriers, Tyrannosaurs, or other differences between the regions. I will say this, though: Springbank makes a tasty whisky, at it gets my vote.

The 1994 Longrow 10 and Springbank 15 feature in an upcoming tasting here in Edmonton. I can't wait.
Last edited by Badmonkey on Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badmonkey
Gold Member
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:08 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Lawrence wrote:It's a bit odd to compare the Lowland & Campbeltown whiskies, they are very different.


I agree it is a bit of a strange comparison

Mark
Mark
New member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: UK

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:16 pm

Springbank but I've been very impressed with the 2 Glen Scotia drams I've had also.

Auchentoshan is a nice dram but the rest I'm fairly ambivalent to.
User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Postby bamber » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:20 pm

Where the blazes is Bladnoch and Inchmurrin is highlands is it not ?

If you're going to include Littlemill, what about Rosebank and the rest ?

Are you 'avin a babble bath' perchance ?
User avatar
bamber
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:57 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Marvin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:22 pm

bamber wrote:Where the blazes is Bladnoch and Inchmurrin is highlands is it not ?

If you're going to include Littlemill, what about Rosebank and the rest ?

Are you 'avin a babble bath' perchance ?


Inchmurrin is very south highland so I put it in here. Bladnoch? Should that be here? Oops, is it any good?
Marvin
Silver Member
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:47 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Postby bamber » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:24 pm

Bladnoch is the daddy !!
User avatar
bamber
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:57 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Marvin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm

Right it will get a by to the next round.
Marvin
Silver Member
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:47 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Postby bamber » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:29 pm

Cool - you should check out the 10yo FF bottle before thay all go. The 15yo CS sheep label is also a tasty dram.
User avatar
bamber
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:57 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Scotchio » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:28 am

The last lowland poll was won by Bladnoch and was very entertaining as it was highjacked by the friends of Bladnoch zealots.Personally I'd suggest that Bladnoch and Rosebank are the classics but most of the other dogs are capable of having their day. I've been quite enjoying Inverleven 90 recently, a classic soft easy drinking non threatening lowlander,deceased.
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby Dubois » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:02 pm

I go for Springbank.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:38 pm
Location: Belgium

Postby Photon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:49 pm

I've only had the Springbank and Glenkinchie, but as good as the Springbank is, I'm really digging the Glenkinchie right now.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:16 pm
Location: Oregon

Postby Jan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:49 am

The only Lowlanders I have tasted are Auchentoshan and Bladnoch. Can't say I cared much for any of these, so Springbank is an easy winner for me.

The older OBs are usually very good, if not outright brilliant and in the more affordable pricelevel I rather like the 15yo.

I have not tried the many finishes being released these years - I simply find them overpriced :?
Jan
Gold Member
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:15 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:36 pm

I'm with Lawrence they are two different categories. I'd go for springbank for Campbeltown. And Auchentoshan for Lowland, the triple wood finish being my favourite. So I don't think I can vote in all honesty, and its not a case of sitting on the fence and getting splinters on my backside.


:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Where's Bladnoch??? I've had a few real nice bottles from Bladnoch!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Frodo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:58 pm

OK given that these are 10-12yr olds we're talking about, I'm thinking Glenkinchie 12 and Springbank 10 are neck and neck for me. If we're talking about older expressions then Springbank would probably run away with it - although I've never had an IB of Glenkinchie...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby ckennedy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:09 pm

Mr Tattie

Not to hijack this thread - but I LOVE 3 of the Islay Malts.. and whats funny is they come to be right next to each other.. can you guess?? :roll:

Laphroaig
Lagavulin
Ardbeg

I love them all.. and I think all have a diff taste.. I also have found the Talisker to be :D :D .. the 10 !! got to try a drop of the 25 in a bar for free.. at first I thought the smell was an old bottle of the lost christmas fruit cake thats been circling the globe for last 100 years... someone got smart and tried to stuff it in a old whiskey bottle.... but the taste was o so good! Can't wait to try the Talisker 18... So the bottles I am buying this christmas are:

2 Lagavulin 16
1 - 2 Laphroaig 15
1 Talisker 10, 18, 25 (maybe)

* 1 Laphroaig 30 with Tax man $$$

The Lagavulin 16's are $100 - $110 here in South Texas.. I can get 2 for 1 ordering online... Hell I may even get 3..

Any comments?

Cheers
8)
ckennedy
New member
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:05 pm
Location: South Texas

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:25 pm

ckennedy wrote:Mr Tattie

Not to hijack this thread - but I LOVE 3 of the Islay Malts.. and whats funny is they come to be right next to each other.. can you guess??

....

Any comments?

Cheers
8)


Not sure what you want comment on. But yes, I can guess, having been up and down the Kildalton road more than twice. 8)
Deactivated Member
 

Postby vitara7 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:27 pm

theyre not really in the same ball park... but springbank it is
vitara7
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:54 am
Location: central scotland

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:45 am

Sprinkbank gets my vote.
Badmonkey
Gold Member
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:08 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Postby Scotchio » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:47 pm

I've had a number of lowlanders on the go lately. FF Bladnoch 10 is delicious light but rich and creamy at the same time, Auchentoshan 12 shares a similar lemony creaminess but is a little more zesty and has a touch of drier smoke, FF Rosebank 12 is drier and is not creamy but very classy with a gorgeous mouth feel. Inverleven 1990 is light , spiced pears in cream flavours a great early evening whisky as was Sig Littlemill 93 which with a little time to settle down became a very moreish fruity malty little dram. All well worth a crack, do not be afraid to visit the light side!
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby Lawrence » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:41 pm

I voted for Glen Scotia, I've never had a bottle frm this distillery disappoint me and many have been exceptional.
Lawrence
Matured cask
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:05 pm

Scotchio wrote:I've had a number of lowlanders on the go lately. FF Bladnoch 10 is delicious light but rich and creamy at the same time, Auchentoshan 12 shares a similar lemony creaminess but is a little more zesty and has a touch of drier smoke, FF Rosebank 12 is drier and is not creamy but very classy with a gorgeous mouth feel. Inverleven 1990 is light , spiced pears in cream flavours a great early evening whisky as was Sig Littlemill 93 which with a little time to settle down became a very moreish fruity malty little dram. All well worth a crack, do not be afraid to visit the light side!



Well, now that I have been here a while, I have begun to feel comfortable sharing some of my malt narratives. As you will see, the Littmill that I have open also needed some time to chill out.

Score 68 Sm Littlemill 12yo 1990 (43%, Signatory, Cask. No 2967) October 7th. My first expression of this distillery. Almost totally clear in color. As I am opening it, my wife screams from downstairs. She was helping Rebecca practice gymnastics on the couch; pain, ice, anxiety. Also is well. A malt well deserved, and needed. Nose. An odd note of sandwich meat? Mouth: I get the marshmallow. Spice towards and through the finish, which while not long, is nicely lingering. This is best held in the mouth for a while, not one for small and quick sips. I need the added time for some oomph. Subsequent tastings. The nose is still very odd. I am now thinking linguini and clam sauce more than lunch meat. Somewhere in the middle? Regardless, not what you want your malt to smell like. Still working on describing the taste; not the best offering. November 2, 2006. The bottle has been open for a few weeks now. The nose is still not great. Break out the clothes pin to enjoy this one. The taste is becoming more interesting with oxidation. There is a maltiness that has an almost powdered sugar quality to it. It might even be almost enjoyable (almost). This has crept up from the low to mid sixties. November 24, 2006.The oxidation has continued to mellow out the most funky nose. The powdered sugar maltiness is very much apparent. A malt that I would now even feel comfortable sharing with those who have not tried Littlemill, but trust me, I am not rushing off to find the next bottle.
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby Whiskana » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:03 pm

bamber wrote:Bladnoch is the daddy !!

I vote for Daddy! Image
Whiskana
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:05 am
Location: Finland

Postby Scotchio » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:
Scotchio wrote:I've had a number of lowlanders on the go lately. FF Bladnoch 10 is delicious light but rich and creamy at the same time, Auchentoshan 12 shares a similar lemony creaminess but is a little more zesty and has a touch of drier smoke, FF Rosebank 12 is drier and is not creamy but very classy with a gorgeous mouth feel. Inverleven 1990 is light , spiced pears in cream flavours a great early evening whisky as was Sig Littlemill 93 which with a little time to settle down became a very moreish fruity malty little dram. All well worth a crack, do not be afraid to visit the light side!



Well, now that I have been here a while, I have begun to feel comfortable sharing some of my malt narratives. As you will see, the Littmill that I have open also needed some time to chill out.

Score 68 Sm Littlemill 12yo 1990 (43%, Signatory, Cask. No 2967) October 7th. My first expression of this distillery. Almost totally clear in color. As I am opening it, my wife screams from downstairs. She was helping Rebecca practice gymnastics on the couch; pain, ice, anxiety. Also is well. A malt well deserved, and needed. Nose. An odd note of sandwich meat? Mouth: I get the marshmallow. Spice towards and through the finish, which while not long, is nicely lingering. This is best held in the mouth for a while, not one for small and quick sips. I need the added time for some oomph. Subsequent tastings. The nose is still very odd. I am now thinking linguini and clam sauce more than lunch meat. Somewhere in the middle? Regardless, not what you want your malt to smell like. Still working on describing the taste; not the best offering. November 2, 2006. The bottle has been open for a few weeks now. The nose is still not great. Break out the clothes pin to enjoy this one. The taste is becoming more interesting with oxidation. There is a maltiness that has an almost powdered sugar quality to it. It might even be almost enjoyable (almost). This has crept up from the low to mid sixties. November 24, 2006.The oxidation has continued to mellow out the most funky nose. The powdered sugar maltiness is very much apparent. A malt that I would now even feel comfortable sharing with those who have not tried Littlemill, but trust me, I am not rushing off to find the next bottle.


It definitely improves with time and yes the nose is odd, I've packed my notes but I remember cats pee was in there somewhere. I came to the conclusion it was badly made whisky but it grew on me and really mellowed with oxidation. I will be picking up another bottle, I like to keep a lowlander on the go and although this isn't in the same class as the big 3 a change can be as good as a rest :D
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby Admiral » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:50 am

I'm very surprised to see Springbank so far out in front....personally, I don't think they've bottled any decent whisky since their 21yo expression dried up. Certainly, the current crop of 10 and 12yo releases going around have been very, very ordinary. The 100 proof expression is just passable.

I voted Glen Scotia, because their whiskies are rarely flat or lifeless. There's always something happening in the glass, whether its the Campbeltown "industrial" and maritime flavours bursting out of the spirit, or simply the tasty malt reacting beautifully with the oak. Either way, I've enjoyed all the different expressions of it that I've tried (two OB's and three IB's), and I reckon its a real winner.

(Now if only Longrow had been included in the poll! :wink: )

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:01 am
Location: Australia

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder