Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Do you ever feel that your life won't be long enough?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes : 18

Postby Thesh » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:20 am

There are just so many different whiskies to try, that I don't think I will ever get a chance to experience them all. I mean, I will only live for another 18.5 years and throughout that time, all of the distilleries will be coming out with different bottlings. The bourbon and the scotch industries are just too large for a single man to go through everything.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:55 am

Oh well sure, there will be new whiskies coming out long after I'm gone, but then again I missed quite a few whiskies because I wasn't even born yet! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:16 am

Only in the morning and never on the night before.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm

While I look forward to many new bottlines, I like Wave wish I had a bunch of whisky purchased from before instead! Rather than a longer life, a time machine is what I'd ask for ;)

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:16 pm

I don't think anyone would chose the day of their death. Unless seriously ill life is to short. I need to open some more of my bottles.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:43 pm

No. Really doesnt matter at the end of the day. Just enjoy it while you can.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:43 pm

In honour of this thread I will open a bottle from my Van Winkle Rye hoard tonight.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:31 am

Yep,

I have over 200 bottles sealed, and I only finish about 1 a month = over 200 months of drinking = over 16 years of drinking. So, that takes me until I am about 65yo or so.

Okay that is not too bad. But there are two other factors.

.> 1 - I keep buying bottles
.> 2 - I also have over 200 bottles of wine/port as well

My father just passed away this year at the age of 70. It makes me think that I might just run out of time.

wow, this is kind of a morbid topic isn't it?
Last edited by mikeymad on Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikeymad

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:01 am

I think I've lived too long already. The rest is a bonus!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:20 am

Smaller bottles and sample swaps.It's got to be the way forward!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:44 am

I've already enjoyed some of every kind of whisky I have. I've mentioned already my morbid rule of opening every unknown bottle the night I get it, just in case. It would be very sad to have at my wake bottles which I've never known myself!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:42 am

Drink more whisky and die sooner or drink less whisky and live longer - what a dilemma!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:28 am

hpulley wrote:I've already enjoyed some of every kind of whisky I have. I've mentioned already my morbid rule of opening every unknown bottle the night I get it, just in case. It would be very sad to have at my wake bottles which I've never known myself!

Harry

Not for us, it wouldn't! I like your rule, though, and wish there was a chance in hell I could implement it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:16 pm

mikeymad wrote:Yep,

I have over 200 bottles sealed, and I only finish about 1 a month = over 200 months of drinking = over 16 years of drinking. So, that takes me until I am about 65yo or so.

Okay that is not too bad. But there are two other factors.

.> 1 - I keep buying bottles
.> 2 - I also have over 200 bottles of wine/port as well

My father just passed away this year at the age of 70. It makes me think that I might just run out of time.

wow, this is kind of a morbid topic isn't it?

Not morbid at all, in my book, and it is nice to see it being taken in the spirit in which it seemed to be intended. An eye towards the end (without becoming obsessed with and/or debilitated by the prospect of death) is one of the most powerful forces in helping us live a rich and full life. As an exercise, try starting each morning with a short meditation on perhaps on your own death, and see if these does not make your day/week more meaningful. It certainly makes me less likely to turn on the television and piss away my time.

Now, how this related to whisky? I means that I probably need to drink one of my bottles of my Hart Brothers 13yo 1982 Port Ellen sooner rather than later.

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:43 pm

True life is short and the older you get the faster time seems to slip by. However I've had a great life so far and cannot nor would not complain otherwise. I've also had my fair share of great whisk(e)y and never worry about that bottle yet to be opened which maybe the best ever. I can only relate to what I've had and I appreciate it in that regard. However if I was given a 1000.00 bottle famed to be the best ever bottling of my favourite distillery and then I never got to open it, I still would never consider it a missed opertunity.

Life is too short to be worrying about what your missing as you may end up not appreciating what you already have.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:07 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote: Life is too short to be worrying about what your missing as you may end up not appreciating what you already have.

That is a good point!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:41 pm

Face it, you are going to miss something. In fact, you are going to miss most things. Pick your path and don't look back.

I expect that I will die, or worse, be forced to give up drinking, with many good bottles in hand. As with anything else of value you possess, the worry is that it will end up in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:37 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:.........or worse, be forced to give up drinking, with many good bottles in hand.......

Now that would be a nightmare in the making.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:28 pm

It occurs to me also that one of the secrets of a long life, or at least an enjoyable one, is always to have something to look forward to. For many of us, it's those 50 bottles on the shelf. Dispose of them, and have that last elusive dram of Glen Flagler, and you'll have nothing to live for. Better by far to leave something on the table than to sit with your empty Glencairn thinking "Now what?"

But don't leave it all on the table...get drinking! I think I'll open something Special today.
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:37 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:... I think I'll open something Special today.

That's the spirit! I've found that a Holiday eve is one of the best times to open up a special bottle.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby bernstein » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:42 pm

I’m with good ol' Horaz on this one:

Tu ne quaesieris - scire nefas -quem mihi, quem tibi finem di dederint, Leuconoe, nec Babylonios temptaris numeros. Ut melius quicquid erit pati! Seu pluris hiemes seu tribuit Iuppiter ultimam,
quae nunc oppositis debilitat pumicibus mare Tyrrhenum, sapias, vina liques et spatio brevi spem longam reseces. Dum loquimur, fugerit invida aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

Leuconoe, don't ask -it's forbidden to know- what end the gods will give me or you. Don't play with Babylonian fortune-telling either. Better just deal with whatever comes your way.
Whether you'll see several more winters or whether the last one Jupiter gives you is the one even now pelting the rocks on the shore with the waves of the Tyrrhenian sea--be smart, drink your wine. Scale back your long hopes to a short period.
Even as we speak, envious time is running away from us.
Seize the day, and trust as little as possible in the next one.
(Horaz: Carmen 1,11)
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:14 pm

There is a lot to get through especailly if you have to go with a 70cl bottle every time you try a new whisky. No need to be dictated to though,pool your resources with trusted forum members(sounds like an ad), swap 5cl 20cl and 35cl samples, and where necessary buy bottles that can be shared, I can't afford a Brora 30 but I may be tempted to split a bottle with a couple of enthusasts and have 23.33cl for £60. Still sounds pricey but it becomes a more affordable indulgence that way.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:35 pm

I have just missed out on two weeks dramming due to ilness and looking at what I have in my cupboard I see no point in having 100+ unopened bottles. It will take me quite a while to get through them as it is!
Christmas starts early this year :lol: :lol:
Deactivated Member

Re: Do you ever feel that your life won't be long enough?

Postby dram_time » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Thesh wrote:I mean, I will only live for another 18.5 years

You might not Have that long left.....

http://www.deathclock.com/

Fill in your details and find out.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:12 pm

It said : Monday, October 21, 1996 , I told you I'd lived too long already!!!!!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:28 am

Saturday June 29th 2058. A week before my 86th birthday. Not a bad innings I guess.

So if I lay down a cask of Port Charlotte in 2008 I can spend my final year hammered on 50yo whisky... :P
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:32 am

December 8, 2055. Oddly enough, whether or not I smoke doesn't change it. Maybe I should take up smoking.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:41 am

Robert Heinlein wrote a story about a man who invented a machine that could look up the pink worm of your life (assuming you are indeed pink) and see the precise moment of your death. Of course, the life insurance industry was alarmed by this, and sent goons to do the poor fellow in. They found him in his office, smoking a cigar and drinking cognac. "Come in, gentlemen," he said. "I've been expecting you."
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:47 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Robert Heinlein wrote a story about a man who invented a machine that could look up the pink worm of your life (assuming you are indeed pink) and see the precise moment of your death. Of course, the life insurance industry was alarmed by this, and sent goons to do the poor fellow in. They found him in his office, smoking a cigar and drinking cognac. "Come in, gentlemen," he said. "I've been expecting you."

Awesome story.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby maverick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:01 am

That death clock is really something cool! Apparently I'm going to die on february 4 2071. So I'm atleast going to get past 80, not bad. Now when I know when I'm going to die can I start livinga reckless life? This test is accurate isn't it? :lol:
maverick

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:28 am

maverick wrote:That death clock is really something cool! Apparently I'm going to die on february 4 2071. So I'm atleast going to get past 80, not bad. Now when I know when I'm going to die can I start livinga reckless life? This test is accurate isn't it? :lol:

Are you of legal drinking age young man? :shock:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby maverick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:32 am

haha, Ofcourse :roll: but just barely, I'm 20 8)
maverick

Postby maverick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:50 am

I just tried the death clock again and I guess it's not that accurate after all, my death date changed every time. so I'm sorry to inform those of you who were counting on the clock that it's not reliable :cry:
maverick

Live life well

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:57 am

Lets' see, I'm 51, creeping up on 52 and my father lived to 85, my grandfather to 97, so I've estimated I have between 33 to 45 years to go. I believe that you live life to the fullest every day, sample a fresh wine, enjoy a new experience and acquire a new whisky when the opportunity and the funds allow. You may miss some opportunities but will have few regrets.
Will my life be long enough? If I continue to live each day as an exciting new one, yes, even if it regretfully ends tomorrow.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Live life well

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:53 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Lets' see, I'm 51, creeping up on 52 and my father lived to 85, my grandfather to 97, so I've estimated I have between 33 to 45 years to go.

Hmmm...the way I see it, your dad lived 12 years shorter than his dad, so according to that trend, you get to 73. Then again, I'll bet your great-grandfather didn't live to 109.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder