Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

do you actually collect whisky or just drink?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

ccollect or glug?

I have an unopened collection
22%
I collect but drink most of them
25%
I collect but drink em all
16%
I dont really collect, just buy to drink
37%

Total votes : 51

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:55 am

I see no point in owning any whisk(e)y I wouldn't open. While I recognize that a 'collectible' bottle might increase in value, there is no fundamental basis for valuing them or predicting which one will appreciate. In other words, whiskies aren't fungible.
I do have, and have had, rare and expensive bottles -- but they are already opened/consumed, or I have plans (both definite and/or indefinite) to open them. Once open, of course, they are worthless -- except as whisk(e)y.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jacques » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:43 am

I TRY buying 2 of each...
Jacques

Postby dram_time » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:15 am

Like some others here, I have two collections really. One with cheaper of the shelf malts that can be replaced anytime and anywhere, these are the ones that get opened. The second (and much smaller) collection is of older, rarer and harder to find malts, that one day will get drunk or maybe sold, if they increase in price enough.

Lately, I seem to be starting to focus on the three (sadly lost) distilleries of Inverness, Millburn, Glen Mhor and Glen Albyn as some form of collection within a collection, if you know what I mean?

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby lapianoman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:03 pm

mikeymad wrote:"I collect but drink most of them"

It is a hard question to answer because I have not drank them all... Yet!

QFE!
lapianoman

Postby Quaichuser » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:40 pm

I tried collecting but you always want to know what that bottle you just bought tastes like. So you open it..taste it and taste it and taste it and so on.

Does a collection of fondly remembered empties count?
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:41 pm

I've just opened one from my special collection, but I still have another of the same, so I guess I'm still somewhat both, drinker and collector.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby gregralls » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:20 am

i'm just a drinker. i buy a bottle, drink a bottle & then i'm on to the next one. i actually have two bottles right now for the 1st time ever (laphroaig & talisker) but only because laphroaig had a good sale price here in pennsylvania & talisker had a gift set.
gregralls

Postby peergynt323 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:29 am

1) I see a bottle I would like
2) I see that I have enough open bottles and I finish up the closest one over the weekend
3) I buy the whisky I wanted.
4) I start to miss the empty one and rebuy it. :?
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:59 am

I, until very recently, bought only to drink. In the last year or so however I have been picking up the occasional bottle I think will appreciate in value to keep aside in the knowledge that if it doesn't appreciate I'll console myself by drinking it...a no risk investment!

I have 30 odd bottles open, and about 40 boxed up.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Oh, collect to drink

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:28 am

Jan wrote:I buy to drink. But some of the rare/expensive bottles will not be opened right away, waiting for a special occasion. So no collection, but a few prized bottles stashed away...

I have to concur with Jan although as one wag on the forum states in the signature "I'm behind in my drinking"(sic) I purchase regular replacement stock as well as the odd special or limited edition that crosses my wallet sights. Someday I will hopefully open and enjoy all but one of my bottles, a Glen Albyn that a duplicate may never be found for. That will go to my offspring for sale or enjoyment when I pass on, her choice. :D
The balance of whisky left will be for a heck of a wake.
Also check this forum regarding collecting and prices: http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3676
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:40 am

I don't collect whisky, but there's no question I own a lot more than I'm likely to drink on my own.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:58 am

Badmonkey wrote:I don't collect whisky, but there's no question I own a lot more than I'm likely to drink on my own.

I'd be happy to help you get rid of a few bottles :D
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby BubbaC » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:02 am

I buy to drink, but I do tend to keep a bunch of extras laying around. Don't ever want to have the situation arise when I don't have any. Also have a nasty habit of random impulse buying.
BubbaC

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder