Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Next Islay?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Recently got a Laphroaig 10. It's great. What's next?

Ardbeg 10. Now that you got a taste for Islay, try the King of Islay Flavour
23%
Laph Quarter Cask. You like Laph, now try this gem.
35%
Lagavulin 16. Now, invest the $ in this Islay
35%
Other (please explain)
8%

Total votes : 52

Next Islay?

Postby ScotchPalate » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:07 pm

I recently got a Laphraoig 10. I really like it. What should I try next?
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:21 pm

If you think that Ardbeg 10 is the King of Islay Flavour, then I think you have answered your own question. For what it is worth, I don't think Ardbeg is the King - it has a distinctive and strong flavour, but so do other distilleries. Ardbeg has a more bacony flavour - Laphroaig has a medicinal flavour, Lagavulin is more smoky, Bunnahabhain more salty and Bruichladdich more fruity. Caol Ile tastes most like a Laphroaig to me, but not as pungent. Bowmore comes in many guises - I like all of them and Mr Tattieheid likes none of them!
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:45 pm

I agree with Nick on this one, Ardbeg isn't the king, at least in younger expressions. IMO if you liked the Laphroaig 10 so much wait untill you try the Quarter Cask! :D

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Everyone gets something different from Islays. I think the creme de la creme are the Uigeadail and Laphroaig 10yo CS...those two are the kings of flavor.

I often hear of the Ardbeg fermentation, a kind of tarry-sour taste, but I always interpreted it as a lemon cream taste amidst the peatiness. I get more of the tarry-sourness in Uigeadail than TEN. For me, Ardbeg TEN was the easiest to like of all the south shore Islay base models. I voted for that one.

Lagavulin 16yo was my first Islay. Perhaps because I smoked as a youth, I don't get that much smoke from it. My first impression was musty and salty like taking a walk on the Balboa pier at night. It's very dry (not sweet) compared with it's south shore brethren. My favorite part of Lagavulin is that behind the sea salt, the heavy peat and the mustiness, there is a clean, malty whisky flavor that you truly can't find anywhere else--very distinctive and very tasty. It's seductive in a pleasure mixed with pain kind of way and I get cravings for it often.

Laphroaig QC? That one is just tasty. There's no other way to put it. The extra oak gives it an ultra smooth, creamy flavor when compared with the 10yo. I enjoy it drizzled over vanilla ice cream (the good kind). No medicinal flavors that I could find. Love it or love it. Almost too friendly to be an Islay.

I also like Bowmore Dusk a lot. Chocolate covered fruits. Mmmmmm.
peergynt323
Gold Member

for the bad ass

Postby badams » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:49 am

1990 Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist! 8)

There is a dark place on Islay, high above the Ardbeg Distillery, called Airigh Nam Beist (pronounced 'arry-nam-bayst') which in Gaelic means 'shelter of the beast'. No more fitting name could have been bestowed on such an eerie place; this is where - legend has it - something other-worldly lurks, lying in wait. So what measures can be taken to protect local and visitor alike? If you find yourself straying this way, then pray equip yourself with that traditionally reliable antidote to sheer terror - the stiff drink. A travelling man could ask for no better protection than a hip flask full of the strong stuff, namely Ardbeg's Airigh Nam Beist. For it's truly a wee beastie of a dram. It is made up entirely of stock from 1990 distillate and is a limited expression. Due to its greater age, it has a softer, more rounded flavor than the Ardbeg 10 year old . It shows a creamy, smoky flavor with hints of fennel and pine nuts. Aged in ex-bourbon oak barrels. 46% ABV and non chill-filtered.
badams

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:02 am

SP, when I walk into a whisky shop with a plethora of choices and the clerk says, "May I help you?", I often reply, "One of each, please." It's the only reasonable answer.

Nick Brown wrote:Bowmore comes in many guises - I like all of them and Mr Tattieheid likes none of them!

I can see us firing cannonades across Loch Indaal. What anguish we would cause poor Mr McEwan!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:12 pm

Have you ever asked Mr McEwan what job he did before his current one?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:55 pm

I'd say Lagavulin 16, purely because it's my favourite Islay malt.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:47 pm

Laph QC for me with purely for value for money other wise Laga 16yo a very very close second.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lexvo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:15 pm

I think you can't go wrong with all of them. Lagavulin 16 is my favourite, with Ardbeg 10 as close second. But Laphroaig QC is also very very nice.

Caol Ila is a good choice too.

So: just try them all! :)
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Damn it, Lexvo. That's the best advice I've got yet!!
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 pm

I agree with the two posts above; each is wonderful and offers different joys for different moods. I would try a new one, regardless of what it is. Perhaps a nice cask strenght, Indy Caol Ila. Nice to discover something different and new to discuss here :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:56 pm

I can't argue with that. Aside from the horrid 1995 CC Ardbeg, I've never met an Islay I didn't like.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:07 am

Nick Brown wrote:Have you ever asked Mr McEwan what job he did before his current one?

Just my point...thus the anguish.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:13 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
I can see us firing cannonades across Loch Indaal. What anguish we would cause poor Mr McEwan!

You wouldn't be the first Damn Yankee turning your cannons on Bowmore TH !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:52 am

Depends what you want from your next dram.

If you want more of the same: full on in your face Islay: then Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig QC will not let you down.

If you want peaty but less medicinal PC5 is a stunning dram but a lot of money to invest on something you are not sure you will like.

If you want less peaty but still with plenty of Islay character try a Bruichladdich 12yo (or even better the 17yo) or Coal Ila 12yo.

If you want something a bit special with a few more interesting flavours thrown in Ardbeg Uigeadail, Bruichladdich Infinity or Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist are well worth looking out for.

I hope that narrows it down for you... :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:09 am

TheLaddie wrote:If you want less peaty but still with plenty of Islay character try a Bruichladdich 12yo....

Read that "not peaty at all". Character, maybe, but not what anyone thinks of when they say "Islay character".
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:22 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
TheLaddie wrote:If you want less peaty but still with plenty of Islay character try a Bruichladdich 12yo....

Read that "not peaty at all". Character, maybe, but not what anyone thinks of when they say "Islay character".

There's more peat to a Laddie than to a Bunna and even the Bunna IMO still has that 'Islay character'. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:51 am

I voted for Lag 16, but all three are good.

EDIT: Hmm... This sig might be a bit bright for this forum...
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:32 am

I think you should go for the Lagavulin 16.

A valid argument could be made for you purchasing a fairly large number of different malts and expressions, all of which would probably fit your requirements and be to your liking.

But the laga 16 is a classic islay, it's very good and if you have never tried it, you're in for a treat. Besides, we refer to this bottling a lot here - are you not curious as to what we are talking about? :wink: :D
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:09 pm

I suppose one should ask what you liked about the Laphroaig 10yo before giving advice, but assuming it is the smoke/peat/sea punch then I will join the chorus here and suggest that all three of the Islays you list above are great, dependable, and sensible next step whiskies for someone who was struck by the Laphroaig 10yo. I might invite you, however, to give the Laphroaig 10yo Cask Strength a try as this would give you an immediate (and profound) experience of the cask strength world of Islay whiskies. One of two things will happen if you do this: you will either come to the conclusion you are not yet ready for cask strength Islays (Lagavulin 12yo, Ardbeg SY and Uigeadail) and in which case you will be quite content with those you list or you will wonder why you should waste your time on the weak brothers when there is liquid gold to be found at them thar liquor stores. Both positions are wrong in some sense, but many have found the cask strength bottlings to be superior to each's standard non-cask strength line. At some point you will have to give them all a try. It's the burden all whisky lovers have to bear.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:41 pm

I expect pungency rather than (just) peatiness from an Islay. Hence, I think the new salty Bunnahabhain fits the bill rather well.

Tattie - as I have said many times before - I am willing to change my mind. If Jim McEwan is as skilled a distiller as the Bowmores lead me to believe, then I imagine some of the new Bruichladdich spirit will turn out rather well. I just don't think it is ready yet and all the finishing in the world or blending with older spirit will not change that. Small casks (like Gordon's Bloodtub) may speed the maturation process but I would rather juat wait until they are producing new 10yo or 12yo from straight Bourbon or sherry casks before committing an opinion.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:46 pm

Makes sense, Nick. I tend to look at the young stuff with a jaundiced eye myself--had no interest at all in PC5, although with all the raving, I am curious enough to wish for a taste. (I left Scotland a few days before release.) I wasn't impressed by the Moine Mhor, although I seem to be in the minority there; and had trouble suppressing a smirk when the distillery guide told us, with straight face, about ACEd product. No doubt much of this is spurred by the particular problems of an independent distillery with a gap in stocks, and warehouses full of stuff of varying quality that can't be palmed off on blenders. I can't blame you for feeling that there is a certain amount of hucksterism going on--many would prefer to call it innovation and experimentation--but it seems to be working for them, and if the consumers are happy, who are we to argue? They are good people, enthusiastic about what they are doing, and it's a fun place; I cannot but wish them every success, whether I happen to like every one of the umpty limited release bottlings or not. In the meantime, there are plenty of us who think the mature product being released now is pretty good!
Deactivated Member

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:13 am

This is the perfect topic for me, because the only Islay I'd tried was Lagavulin... until I bought the Laphroig 10 this afternoon:

I love the medicinal notes and the sweet salty balance, and I mentioned in another post here that it is like a young Lagavulin 16. If you pony up for the Lag, you will be rewarded, the velvet texture is as remarkable as the any other part of the experience... just don't tell your friends you have it!

Now, I suppose I should try Ardbeg 10 next, it seems that it has been getting as many "best Islay malt" votes as Lag and Laph around here. How much more is Lahproig QC?
Jesse

Postby Wave » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:02 am

How much more is Lahproig QC?

On an average $10 more but in my view well worth it! :)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:42 am

My sister is a bartender, so of course she got me the perfect Christmas present this Eve: a sampler pack of Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, and Lag 16. She didn't know I'd just bought Lag 16-- but now I've had 3 Islay malts and counting! (I'm on a roll here, ScotchPalate you better get moving! :) )

Caol Ila is full of berries but with the phenol Islay seaweed that I'm becoming familiar with, and the boquet is wonderful... honestly it stole the show from Talisker 10, one of my favorites.

Laphroaig QC may be the ticket, it just may have to wait a couple months now, Santa's been good to me.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Jesse

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:44 pm

I voted the Quarter Cask so you have two Laphroaig's under your belt to compare, contrast. Then of course it's over to Ardbeg to enjoy the king of Islay, and it's Ten expression!! But those mentioned are all good, I'm sure you'll find a favorite, or favorites!
Di Blasi

Postby shane » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:47 pm

I think you should try one of the recent Cask strengh Laphroaigs. Its a fantastic dram. :wink:
shane

Postby shoganai » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:22 pm

Pound for pound, Laphroaig QC is one of the best whiskies I've ever had. It's so thick & syrupy & delicious that I get more satisfaction out of a single bottle than out of any other. Factor in price and it's probably the best deal on the market right now (at least where I come from).

However, I voted for Ardbeg 10. If you're just getting familiar with the Islays, I tend to think it's best to start with the basics. But that's just me. Plus it's discussed so much and frequently used as a point of reference, it might be useful knowing what all the fuss is about.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:39 pm

shoganai wrote:Pound for pound, Laphroaig QC is one of the best whiskies I've ever had. It's so thick & syrupy & delicious that I get more satisfaction out of a single bottle than out of any other. Factor in price and it's probably the best deal on the market right now (at least where I come from).

However, I voted for Ardbeg 10. If you're just getting familiar with the Islays, I tend to think it's best to start with the basics. But that's just me. Plus it's discussed so much and frequently used as a point of reference, it might be useful knowing what all the fuss is about.

I agree with everything said here!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:01 pm

I think you should try them all .
If It were my choice to make I would choose Lagavulin or bruichladdich
,but I have tasted them all.One of them I had to give the rest of the dram to my husband because it was awful. this was Laphroaigh quater cask.
It tasted like sox you been wearing far too long with sour smoke.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:42 pm

Love those tasting notes Ann-Helen!! (not that i agree of course...)

My lucie would approve. she HATES whisky...even tho' she's bought me some gems.

She calls my beloved Ardbeg "Ardvaark" and as she leaves leftovers for a badger outside our back door after dinner, reckons that "Ardbeg" being an anagram of "badger" is an insult to badgers...

then there was this lady on a Macallan tasting in Scotland ( another gift from Lucie!) who, after hearing me wax lyrical about a wonderful single cask we were sampling, with wondrous fudgy, floral notes etc. etc. commented:

"Hmmm. It tasted like petrol to me..."
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Lugarteniente » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:24 pm

From those malts I try the laga 16. Ardbeg TEN is for me overrated.

My favorite: Laphroaig 10 CS and Laga Distillers Edition.
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby Lee » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:54 am

I plan to always have an open bottle of Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig QC!
Lee

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Good plan!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder