Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Next Islay?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Recently got a Laphroaig 10. It's great. What's next?

Ardbeg 10. Now that you got a taste for Islay, try the King of Islay Flavour
23%
Laph Quarter Cask. You like Laph, now try this gem.
35%
Lagavulin 16. Now, invest the $ in this Islay
35%
Other (please explain)
8%

Total votes : 52

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:38 pm

ScotchPalate:

We all have different palates and enjoy different tastes and flavours, so we can each only recommend based upon our own tastes. WIth this in mind, I have to say that my favourite Islay malt is currently Caol Ila.

There are some very good ones about at the moment and not so expensive, especially when you look at some of the IB Cask Strength offerings.

My own preference with Caol Ila is for cask strength, up near to 60% vol as it takes water very well and is always enjoyable.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby gregralls » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:11 am

wow, just had laphroaig quarter cask for the first time yesterday (while watching the philadelphia eagles beat the new york giants). phenomenal dram!
gregralls

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:15 am

For me I prefer quarter cask to the ten and one that I would always have in my collection.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Nock » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:54 am

I love Ardbeg and Laphroaig almost equally. My favorite malt is currently the Laphroaig 10yo CS. But, I will never again be without an open bottle of Ardbeg 10yo.

I say that since you have an open bottle of Laphroaig 10yo you should try the Ardbeg 10yo. Then go for Lagavulin 16yo after that. Once you have experienced these main expressions then start toward the cask strength options. Other wise I am afraid you will be be ruined for life :lol:
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:59 am

out of the ones youve listed, the QC, but why not try the C/Strength
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby The Bunna Boy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:18 pm

I'd have to say that an option would be to take a break from the islay norm and move to the north of the island and try the gentle taste of Islay in the form of Bunnahabhain especially the slightly older versions i'd recommend the 18yo! But the good thing about Islay and the industry as a whole is the variety of choice so whatever you choose enjoy!!

And also wanted to say hello to everyone who uses the forum on a regular basis, This is my first post and will be usng the forum on a alot more regulaily and look forward to getting to know you all!

slainte

:D
The Bunna Boy

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:23 pm

Welcome Bunna Boy. That is Bunna as in Bunnahabin?
:wink:

les taylor

Postby The Bunna Boy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:34 pm

my true colours didn't stay hidden for long then! Its a dram I genuinely believe in and its only going to get more prominent!! the future is bright for the north of Islay!! Is it a dram you par-take in??

The Bunna Boy

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:13 pm

The Bunna Boy wrote:my true colours didn't stay hidden for long then! Its a dram I genuinely believe in and its only going to get more prominent!! the future is bright for the north of Islay!! Is it a dram you par-take in??

The future is bright for the whole island. The Bunnahabhain 12 is a beautifully balanced malt when you want to focus on the more subtle aspects of the Islay character rather than the peaty/medicinal qualities of the Kildaltons. I always have a bottle open on my shelf. I've never got as far as the older expressions but have tried a few nice older IBs.

You have chosen a good post to nail your flag to...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:28 pm

The Bunna Boy wrote:-

my true colours didn't stay hidden for long then! Its a dram I genuinely believe in and its only going to get more prominent!! the future is bright for the north of Islay!! Is it a dram you par-take in??

Absolutely like the laddie I have always a 12 on the shelf. To see Captain Birdseye looking down on you is great.

les taylor

Postby lbacha » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:16 pm

We keep talking about the King of Islay, I would argue that Port Ellen still holds that reign. It still has a few casks left and until they are gone in my book it reigns supreme. Ardbeg may be the Prince of Islay and the heir apparent but not yet the King.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder