Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What will you enjoy on New Year’s Eve?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Bubbly or whisky?

Whisky
64%
Bubbly
No votes
Whisky & Bubbly
32%
No thanks, I'm driving!
4%

Total votes : 25

What will you enjoy on New Year’s Eve?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:49 pm

So, what will it be; bubbly or whisky?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:58 pm

There will be some bubble, but a friend of mine and me will be tasting some whiskies: :)
Springbank 15
Laphroaig 15
Laphroaig QC
Caol Ila 12
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:09 pm

It will be a Glenmorangie night :)

10yo
18yo
Port Wood
Madeira Wood
Sherry Wood
Burgundy Wood
Millennium

I probably won't have all of them though :(
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:31 pm

NOTA--home, and early to bed.
Deactivated Member

New Years

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:43 am

No bubbly here. Not a fan. Have greeted the last few New Years with a snifter of the Lagavulin Distillers Edition. Haven't come up with a good reason to change.

Cheers to one and all :D
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Usquebach

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am

HP 15 yo, then Ooogie. Dramming with an old friend that evening.
Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am

Whisky here, although a glass of bubbly is not out of the question - for traditions sake, not really my thing.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:05 am

I will probably indulge in both. We are going to my Sister-In-Law's for the evening. The missus is a big fan of bubbly French wine and we have tried most of the greats: Dom Perignon, Krug, Grand Dame, Salon (I got her a bottle of Tattinger Comptes De Champagne Blanc de Blanc for Christmas)
No doubt I'll have a glass (we have a couple of bottles of 1999 Veuve Cliquot, I suspect we will take one of those along) but I expect most of my drinking to be done from my hip flask. Not decided on the filling yet...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:25 am

Will end the year with the best whisky tasted in 2006 and best bottled in 2006: Lagavulin 12 (2004), Ardbeg Still Young.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:38 pm

TheLaddie wrote:I will probably indulge in both. We are going to my Sister-In-Law's for the evening. The missus is a big fan of bubbly French wine and we have tried most of the greats: Dom Perignon, Krug, Grand Dame, Salon (I got her a bottle of Tattinger Comptes De Champagne Blanc de Blanc for Christmas)
No doubt I'll have a glass (we have a couple of bottles of 1999 Veuve Cliquot, I suspect we will take one of those along) but I expect most of my drinking to be done from my hip flask. Not decided on the filling yet...

Sounds nice Laddie! Untill recently I've never been very fond of sparkling wine but after trying a few lately I must say it's rather good. Will try Bollinger Spécial Cuvée, brut on new year's eve - have you tried it? Other suggestions much appreciated. I do like the lighter fruitier and drier style such as Guy Charlemagne and Billecart-Salmon?

Cheers!
Mr Fjeld

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:15 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Will try Bollinger Spécial Cuvée, brut on new year's eve - have you tried it? Other suggestions much appreciated. I do like the lighter fruitier and drier style such as Guy Charlemagne and Billecart-Salmon?

Hi Christian.

I'm afraid I'm very familiar with the Bollinger. It is one of my personal favourites, a little more robust than most champagnes so may not suit you as well if you prefer the Billecart-Salmon (I've never tried the Charlemagne) It has a wonderful biscuity quality. A 1990 I had a few years ago was a match for all but the best whiskies I have had.

As for a good regular champagne that doesn't break the bank, non-vintage Veuve Cliquot has never let us down and there's nothing wrong with Moet & Chandon either other than the snobs looking down on it.

1990, 1995 and 1996 were fabulous years for just about any of the good Champagne houses and these vintages are well worth looking out for.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:18 pm

TheLaddie wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:Will try Bollinger Spécial Cuvée, brut on new year's eve - have you tried it? Other suggestions much appreciated. I do like the lighter fruitier and drier style such as Guy Charlemagne and Billecart-Salmon?

Hi Christian.

I'm afraid I'm very familiar with the Bollinger. It is one of my personal favourites, a little more robust than most champagnes so may not suit you as well if you prefer the Billecart-Salmon (I've never tried the Charlemagne) It has a wonderful biscuity quality. A 1990 I had a few years ago was a match for all but the best whiskies I have had.

As for a good regular champagne that doesn't break the bank, non-vintage Veuve Cliquot has never let us down and there's nothing wrong with Moet & Chandon either other than the snobs looking down on it.

1990, 1995 and 1996 were fabulous years for just about any of the good Champagne houses and these vintages are well worth looking out for.

Thanks for the information Laddie! I'll see if I can find if any of the vintages are available at the wine monopoly. And I'll try to keep an open mind on the Bollinger tomorrow - the Veuve Cliquot (brut) is now on my buying list also thanks to you. I've had the Moet & Chandon on a couple of occasions and I'm afraid I wasn't won over by it - but it was alright. Maybe it's with Champagne as with whisky; it's generally good although some are not outstanding?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Wendy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:44 pm

I would gladly indulge in a little whisky and bubbly, but December has been the month of flu, cold and now bronchial infection. As I will be bringing the new year in on antibiotics, I must stay clear of alcoholic beverages at least until January 4th! :( So, Christian and other whisky friends, have an extra sip for me!!

Happy New Year,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Get well soon Wendy.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:55 pm

Thank you, Lawrence...I am trying my best! Christian has started a great thread; it is nice to know what others will have in their glass as the clock strikes midnight. What whisky/bubbly goodies do you have in mind or is it a "wait and see" thing?
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:05 pm

I'm looking forward to starting the evening off a glass of two of bubbles. Moet and Veuve Clicquot are both fantastic champagnes, although I prefer the Veuve. There is a bit more of the pinot noir grape in this wine so it's much more of a fruit driven champagne than the Moet, which is more elegant in style. The champagne however is just a mouth cleanser, getting ready for a decent whisky or two! Planning to bring in the bells with a few good drinking friends and a large glass of Airigh Nam Beist. Happy New Year everyone!

Slainte

Martin
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby wieslaw » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:35 pm

Cadillac Mtn. Stout & Talisker

This year needs a boilermaker

So will the next
wieslaw

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:06 pm

I know the venue for tonight, Aberlour 10 and an Aberlour a'bunadh batch # 14 as a night cap. Maybe a Macallan 12 sherry finished or a Laphroaig 10.

Happy New Year everybody....
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder