Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your whiskies for 2007?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What do you plan to drink in 2007?

Just my old favourites.
No votes
Lots of new and untried whiskies.
67%
I have a cunning plan! I know what I want, I just have to find it and drink it.
14%
No plans, I’ll just buy and drink on the spur of the moment.
17%
Supermarket own-brand rotgut, I’m saving up for a bottle of 1954 Macallan!
No votes
Nothing but Johnny Walker Swing, of course!
2%

Total votes : 42

Your whiskies for 2007?

Postby Mustardhead » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:11 pm

What do you plan to drink in 2007?
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Re: Your whiskies for 2007?

Postby lapianoman » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:29 pm

Always looking for new ones to try...still trying to run down a Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
lapianoman

Postby Wave » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:42 pm

Always on the search for the new and untried. I want to try the new Bruichladdich 3D3 and looking forward to a Port Ellen Release 7 amoung others :)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 pm

Moving forward on my quest to try as many malts (and now,other whisk(e)ies as well. 25 single malts still untried; I hope to be at about 15 by years end (depending on tradding partners :wink: )
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:30 pm

ill be buying shed loads as normal, but hope to try and find a few good rare old bottles this year too ;)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:53 pm

Personally I'm going to revisit some old favourites that I realise I haven't tasted for a year or three.

I'm also going to sip away at my standard bottles that never seem to disappear.

Then I'm also on a campaign to try some new distilleries and also sample a few more malts from those where I've only tried the standard 10 or 12.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:48 am

I probably have about 90 or so different bottles of the better expressions from quite a few distilleries. So rather than just drinking the introductory malts I'm going to make inroads on some of my favourite bottles that I'm saving for a rainy day. Could be a good year. :lol:

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:57 am

Plans are to finally get hold of the 1968 Glenfarclas and Laphroaig 30 and I'm sure some new releases as they show up here.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:24 am

les taylor wrote:I probably have about 90 or so different bottles of the better expressions from quite a few distilleries. So rather than just drinking the introductory malts I'm going to make inroads on some of my favourite bottles that I'm saving for a rainy day. Could be a good year. :lol:

So where's Caddington? :D

As I have cut back on quantity I'm going to make up for it with quality ;)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:42 am

Bring them all on. I'm certainly planning to expand my horizons with some whiskies I've not tried before. I'll see what grabs me at tastings or what catches my eye in the shop. I may be inspired to try something new by recommendations on the forum.

On the other hand, I can't see me not having a bottle of Ardbeg 10, Uigeadail, Bruichladdich Infinity, Bruichladdich 15, Bunnahabhain 12, Laphroaig QC open in the house at all times.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:44 am

Mustardhead wrote:So where's Caddington?

Darkest Ceru. :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:36 am

I had a cunning plan. I forget what it was.
Deactivated Member

Postby EdipisReks » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:26 am

i plan on spending a lot of money on whisk(e)y this year, as opposed to a lot of money, like last year.
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:27 am

Laddie Wrote:-

Mustardhead wrote:
So where's Caddington?

Darkest Ceru.

Mustarhead if you look east from Gloucestershire and when you see a rainbow the furthest point of the rainbow from you is a magical land where caddington is.

As for Darkest Ceru thats the wrong one. Thats the one in a parallel universe. Its really in Brightest Ceru.

P.s. just do a google.

les taylor

Postby Frodo » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:08 pm

I've always wanted to try Linkwood, and the Magic Cask bottling from Compass Box whiskies at the LCBO is actually a 17yr Linkwood from a madiera cask according to the CBW website. Am really thinking about it, as $99 for a 17yr Linkwood NCF is about right.

The Compass Box Whiskies I've had were all good, just not at attractive price points. This may be one I'll get. It would be easier to make up my mind if the LCBO had one at a tasting tower...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:35 pm

Lots of new ones for me too, got a linkwood coming as it happens so that’s going to get opened when it arrives. Might try getting a few 5cl minis, just to identify some more future favourites whilst not splashing out for a whole bottle. Going to spoil my self with opening one each of Millburn, Glen Albyn and Glen Mhor. Have not decided which bottlings to go for, maybe Rare Malts or Signatory, not sure yet. And really want to try another Port Ellen.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Lee » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:50 am

I plan to BUY as many different ones as I can this year. I plan on DRINKING the 6 or so bottles that I have open currently (which I'll probably replace as soon as they are emptied!)
Lee

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:30 pm

I always enjoy trying new whisky. But I also look forward to tasting some old classics I've missed, that many of you say shouldn't be. And a Port Ellen 7th Release Wave?? Any release date set??
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:52 pm

I shall be trying plenty of 'new' (to me) drams in 2007, especially as my tasting evenings get into full swing.

I probably tasted more new drams in 2006 than any other year I can remember and I am planning to make 2007 even better.

Aside from this, I shall also be adding a few new bottles to my collection - but these will be investments and won't be opened.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Aside from this, I shall also be adding a few new bottles to my collection - but these will be investments and won't be opened.
MT

What are your recommendations???
Di Blasi

Postby Wave » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I always enjoy trying new whisky. But I also look forward to tasting some old classics I've missed, that many of you say shouldn't be. And a Port Ellen 7th Release Wave?? Any release date set??

I can't remember the webpage where I saw about the up and coming 6th Release so I was able to snap up a bottle the day it became available, but page also mentioned a later 7th Release due sometime this year, unfortunately that could be anytime between now and December! :? :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi DB,
it is still quite early in the year to know what will be bottled during 2007, but knowing my personal penchant for Bruichladdich, I have to say any of the more interesting "Valinch" bottlings.
By interésting, I mean story-wise, although they all seem to do pretty well.
The PC5 was / is an absolute winner and I feel it will continue to rise.

I also think the Blacker Still has a good chance, but not in the short-term.

Watch out for ANY Macallan OB specials, either commemorating single events, or any new "ESC's".
Forget the new issue 18 year olds and concentrate on the older "Classic Label" ones (pre-1996).

Of course there will be many, many more. Probably a whole host of Ardbegs, but I do sense a growing move away from newer Ardbeg Single Casks as collectors are being asked to pay just too much for them.

The Islay Festival specials are always good to get hold of!

As a few distilleries change their presentations of bottles and labels, some of the "Standard" bottlings of today will become rare in the future - but this is a case where I really am talking of a minimum of 20 years!
If you fancy a great gamble (albeit an educated one), put a few HPs away in a dark corner and forget them for 20 years!

Yes, I know this is very hard to do as it's great whisky, but save the older presentations and drink the newer ones.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:14 pm

Like the Laddie, i can't see myself without an Ardbeg 10, and i have another unopened Oogie waiting in the wings for the end of my annual jan detox...

Roll on the retox! My birthday, Feb 4!

Intend to track down an F&F Bladnoch before it totally disappears...or gets prohibitvely expensive.

Otherwise, with a 20 month old daughter and cash flow limited at present, I reckon i'll be turning down a lot of great whiskies. Sniff, sob...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:32 pm

Thanks Malt-Teaser! I always enjoy and appreciate your helpful suggestions!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:34 pm

DB,
you are always welcome.

Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:17 pm

Like others have already mentioned very much looking forward to trying something I have not yet tasted. Planning to cut down on the amount I drink, but what I do taste will be of higher quality. Looking forward to Ardbeg Almost There coming out and having my own wee tasting of the three ages.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:56 pm

I voted 'No plans, I’ll just buy and drink on the spur of the moment.'

Eventhough I will always have my regular drams at hand I love just going with the flow when buying bottles on recomendation or if i spy something that looks interesting. No real direction there....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:DB,
you are always welcome.

Would you also recommend the Hazelburn 2nd edition?? I know you've said the 1st edition is the one to have for sure, but I wasn't so lucky. Thanks again!
Di Blasi

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:22 pm

I am hoping to try some 30yo Brora, Talisker, and Lagavulin. I would also like to taste my first Port Ellen in 2007.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:56 pm

Hi again DB,

do you know just how many of the second edition were bottled?

I managed to get a bottle but there is no information that I can see about outrun numbers.
For sure it was limited, my order was cut to about a sixth of my request, so I would expect it to be a good risk.

I believe there was also a special club member bottling which would be an excellent one to get hold of if the opportunity arose.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:22 am

There are a few bottles of Hazelburn available here in Norway. Sorry for intruding into the discussion but is it very good or is it the collector value that is special?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Wendy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:27 am

Hi,
I don't know if this will be helpful, but I asked a similar question regarding Hazelburn awhile ago in the question thread titled: 1st Editions VS 2nd Editions? It can be found on the second page, mid way.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:34 am

Happy new year Wendy - and thanks I'll have a look at it!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mustardhead » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:20 am

C_I wrote:I have the cunning plan to reduce my current stock to acceptable levels, but keep on the lookout for my special cunning plan bottle list.

What's on the cunning plan bottle list?

Mine has some closed distillery bottlings, some 25 year olds and most of the rest will be on impulse :)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am

So where's Caddington?

I know, and I can be bribed . . .
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder