Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help! wine casked malt (not sherry)

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Bettern finished whisky?

Bowmore Dusk (Burdeaux)
17%
Bowmore Dawn (Port)
8%
Cragganmore Distillers Ed. (Port)
8%
Glenmorangie Burgundy wood
8%
Glenmorangie Port wood
58%
Glenmorangie Madeira wood
No votes

Total votes : 12

Help! wine casked malt (not sherry)

Postby Lugarteniente » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:20 pm

I will try my first wine casked -not sherry- whisky.

Anyone knows the age of those malts?

Thanks! :wink:
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:05 pm

Is there a wine you favor? I like the Balvenie 21 Portwood. It has great Port notes that mix well with the other flavors of the dram. However, the cost is nasty. In fact, I got it as a Christmas gift, otherwise I don't think I would have spent that much. The Glenmorangie Port is a good one (not great) but a more economical way to find out if it is to your liking. It should be noted that I like Port, and hence prefer the Port finished malts (when it comes to wine finished malts that is).
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:52 pm

the bowmore dawn and dusk are they not 15yo and are getting branded just like the darkest someone told me
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:53 pm

and the glenmorangie finishes are 12yo
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:44 pm

You didn't leave a slot for "Other"

My current favourite would probably be Bruichladdich 15yo 2nd edition which is a Madeira finish.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:19 pm

That Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood is dynamite! Finished in Romanee Conti casks from what I've been told! And I also like the Madeira finished too.

TheLaddie wrote:My current favourite would probably be Bruichladdich 15yo 2nd edition which is a Madeira finish.

Attention TheLaddie: Isn't the Bruichladdich 15y 2nd edition finished in Chateau d'Yquem casks???
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000027495
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:58 pm

Di Blasi wrote:That Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood is dynamite! Finished in Romanee Conti casks from what I've been told! And I also like the Madeira finished too.

TheLaddie wrote:My current favourite would probably be Bruichladdich 15yo 2nd edition which is a Madeira finish.

Attention TheLaddie: Isn't the Bruichladdich 15y 2nd edition finished in Chateau d'Yquem casks???

According to the info sheet from the Bruichladdich website, the 15yo 2nd Edition was ACE'd in Premier Grand Cru Sauternes casks, French Allier oak.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:30 am

Wave wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:That Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood is dynamite! Finished in Romanee Conti casks from what I've been told! And I also like the Madeira finished too.

According to the info sheet from the Bruichladdich website, the 15yo 2nd Edition was ACE'd in Premier Grand Cru Sauternes casks, French Allier oak.

Cheers!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks Guys. You are both right. That will teach me to post off the top of my head without checking the bottle first...

The Bruichladdich 15 second edition is my favourite non-sherry finish, but is not Madeira finished. I think I'd got my head mixed up with Waves and the 12yo first edition.

I'm off the check the bottle some more... :P
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby EdipisReks » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:29 am

the Springbank Portwood is very good, you should add it to your list.
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:24 pm

Of the choices you've offered, I like the Craggenmore,but not at it's price point. I also think the port reduces the complexity from the dram and adds some nice sweetness. I just think it takes away too much of the character.

Bowmore finishes I don't like because I think they clash with the nature of the whisky. I love Bowmore, just not the finishes. I can highly recommend Glenmorangie or Balvenie finishes with only a pause for the 'morangie Burgundy finish. I didn't hate that one, just a little confused by it.

Loved the 'morangie Portwood, with the Balvenie 1991 Portwood in second by a whisker due to price difference only. The 1991 comes in first when comparing the quality in the bottle - so says my taste buds...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Yeah, best finished whisky I had was Bruichladdich 20yo Flirtation. I forgot what kind of wine it is finished in, but it is t-t-t-tasty-tasty.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Glenmorangie

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:21 am

vitara7 wrote:and the glenmorangie finishes are 12yo

Vitars7:
I had wondered about this as all I could find on the web was they were 10 yo with two more years flavouring in (for example) a Sherry pipe.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:25 am

peergynt323 wrote:Yeah, best finished whisky I had was Bruichladdich 20yo Flirtation. I forgot what kind of wine it is finished in, but it is t-t-t-tasty-tasty.

This was ACE'd in Mourvedre wine casks.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby parvus » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:36 am

TheLaddie wrote:
peergynt323 wrote:Yeah, best finished whisky I had was Bruichladdich 20yo Flirtation. I forgot what kind of wine it is finished in, but it is t-t-t-tasty-tasty.

This was ACE'd in Mourvedre wine casks.

And the difference between an 'ACE' and a finish is, what, exactly? I've seen ACE in reference to Bruichladdich's malts, but I have yet to see what the acronym actually stands for. Absolutely Crap Experiment? :wink:
parvus
Silver Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:54 am

parvus wrote:And the difference between an 'ACE' and a finish is, what, exactly? I've seen ACE in reference to Bruichladdich's malts, but I have yet to see what the acronym actually stands for. Absolutely Crap Experiment? :wink:

From the Glossary on the Bruichladdich website:

"Additional Cask Evolution. Controlled by Jim McEwan this is a very short period of extra refinement in French oak casks. Quercus Robar oak provides more complex and refined oak flavours, particulalrly 'grilled toast' nuances. In addition, a subtle fruitiness and tint may be derived from the cask's previous contents. We buy from the very top wine estates ensuring maximum quality. Being artisan, hand made casks, these are more than twice the cost of mass-produced American (Quercus Alba) casks. They take four years longer to make, have greater oak flavour and more variety of style. After a period of ACEing, initial oak influences are less dominant and the casks can then be used for long term maturation of new spirit."

Now I belive legally there is a minimum period a whisky has to be in a wine/port etc barrel to use the term "finish" and that this period is three months. As McEwan uses shorter periods at times (as little as six weeks in some cases, maybe less) a different term was needed.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:04 pm

Did anyone get to try the "Vintage House" OMC Macallan 16 YO 56.1 % finished in a "Bonne Mares Grand Cru first fill Burgundy Cask?"Lovely!

I bought 2 of the 343 bottles to celebrate the birth of my first daughter, having been offered a sizeable dram by one of their staff one Feriday afternoon 2 years ago.

Still have a third of a bottle left. Daren't finish it!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder