Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan is best known for.........

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Macallan is best known for which expression(s)?

Macallan 12
21%
Cask Strength
No votes
Macallan 18
58%
Fine Oak Range (snicker)
No votes
Vintage Range
3%
Other
18%

Total votes : 33

Macallan is best known for.........

Postby ScotchPalate » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Macallan is best known for which expression(s)..........
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:00 pm

that would depend on who you were asking, as a collector id say the vintage 18yos, but the man on the street would say the 10yo sherry finish
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:41 pm

I think they are best known for their "replica" editions. Many of which they knew were based on fakes -- but they still sold and sell them anyway!!!
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:42 pm

Oliver wrote:I think they are best known for their "replica" editions. Many of which they knew were based on fakes -- but they still sold and sell them anyway!!!

Oh, that old chestnut. :wink: (an oldie, but true).
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Best known for pissing off Oliver :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:54 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:Best known for pissing off Oliver :wink:

I hope it doesn't upset just me!!
How bout the people who purchased to replicas of fake whiskies.... (Not to mention those poor rich folks who bid on and purchased "vintage :? " Macallans at auctions sponsored in part by Macallan....)
ANd how about us, the single malt afficionado... don't we cringe a little at being knowingly lied to about the authenticity of many of the Macallan's vintage 19th century bottles.... which were sold to (rich) suckers and then reproduced for us (a little less rich) suckers? Shouldn't we feel upset that the directors at Edrington and the Macallan sat on the news that the Macallan 1841 was a fake for months after the results of the scientific testing proved beyind ANY doubt that they were fakes?!?

Doesn't anyone have a sens of outrage left (besides me that is, :wink: ). Are we, self-styled "malt lovers" just prepared to swallow any old malt they might produce along with whatever fairy tales they might make up to make us buy it?

I know, I know, it happened a long time ago... its ok now, everything's fine.... Lets just lie down and drink some "Teacher's" ( a nas blend) in a very large crystal brandy snifter while reading the whisky god's descritpion of it as one of the best whiskies in the world.... a 95 I think he gives it... if "conaisseurs" can swallow that, its no surprise that people [/i]believe the hype[i] and buy Bourbacallan in droves.... :oops:
Last edited by Oliver on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:57 pm

on second thoughts id say macallan are best known for trying to rip folk off....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:59 pm

Macallan is best known for . . . producing over priced whisky.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:02 am

I'd say Macallan is best known for its 10 year old sherry cask. That is pitched at an affordable price in the UK, it is everything else that is expensive now.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:57 am

Judging by the tenor of the posts so far, I would say Macallan is best known for creating a brand that stirs up a lot of passion!

One point tho. I would take issue with the statement that Macallan is "overpriced." The increase in revenues and profits at Edrington would strongly dispute that. Consumers have voted with their wallets, plain and simple. By making their purchases, they are indicating their belief that Macallan provides a good product at a fair price. Tough to argue that. The market is the market.

Unless you want to make the argument that most people are uneducated about simgle malts and are taken in (deceived?) by sophisticated marketing campaigns. That strikes me as pretty elitist... I hear many of the same points by watch afficianados who look down on Rolexes (Texas Timexes) because they "know" there are sooo many "better" watches out there. Rolex is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

I say if people are happy with their purchases (whatever they may be), who are we to tell them they're wrong and that they should be UNhappy??? :? :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:04 am

Hey, Oliver, foam at the mouth about one thing at a time, will you?
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:36 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hey, Oliver, foam at the mouth about one thing at a time, will you?

What good-spirited, well intentioned, and meaningfull contribution to the discusion: Thanks tattieheil!. :roll:
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:46 pm

Just what I was thinking.

And if you are trying to be offensive with the nazi references, you are succeeding admirably.
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:54 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Just what I was thinking.

And if you are trying to be offensive with the nazi references, you are succeeding admirably.

Mister TattieHeid:

I apologize for mispeling your name. No "nazi references" intented.
I invite you to apologize in turn for your snide comment a few posts above when you directed me to "foam at the mouth about one thing at a time" I found that offensive and uncalled for.
Do you have it in you to concede that your first comment on this thread was not constructive and rude, MrTattieHeid? :?:
Last edited by Oliver on Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:55 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:One point tho. I would take issue with the statement that Macallan is "overpriced." The increase in revenues and profits at Edrington would strongly dispute that. Consumers have voted with their wallets, plain and simple. By making their purchases, they are indicating their belief that Macallan provides a good product at a fair price. Tough to argue that. The market is the market.

Unless you want to make the argument that most people are uneducated about simgle malts and are taken in (deceived?) by sophisticated marketing campaigns. That strikes me as pretty elitist... I hear many of the same points by watch afficianados who look down on Rolexes (Texas Timexes) because they "know" there are sooo many "better" watches out there. Rolex is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

OK, I'll respond.

My position is that older expressions (14yrs +) of Macallan are almost as overpriced as JW Blue. Does that mean it's a bad drop? No! I like Macallan enough to accept a pour and enjoy it on it's own merits. But if I bought a bottle, I'd have a heart attack and not be able to participate on these boards anymore.

My position is that marketing has positioned the Macallan brand as a super premium product (like JW Blue) and one that non-scotch drinkers will recognize at gift time. I'm not sure that's elitest - I don't know alot about wines, and when giving a gift I might go for a well-known label like Robert Mondavi because I heard something about it.

As you say, consumers have voted with their wallets thus indicating what they think is a fair exchange. The market accepts the Macallan price point. If people are buying this as conspicuous consumption or because they want to give a gift that will be recieved, well fair enough. And to someone who makes $100 000+/year who can easilly afford these luxeries fair enough. But for someone on a more modest (or pennypinching :oops:) lifestyle this stuff may not be the best value. Depends what you're buying. If you're buying status, yup this works. If you're buying a dram, you're overpaying in my mind. But if you can afford to overpay, well that's your nickel.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:59 pm

One more thing - the 12yr and 10yr CS are a bit high in terms of price point, but well within the framework of other malt prices of that age.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:Judging by the tenor of the posts so far, I would say Macallan is best known for creating a brand that stirs up a lot of passion!

One point tho. I would take issue with the statement that Macallan is "overpriced." The increase in revenues and profits at Edrington would strongly dispute that. Consumers have voted with their wallets, plain and simple. By making their purchases, they are indicating their belief that Macallan provides a good product at a fair price. Tough to argue that. The market is the market.

I say if people are happy with their purchases (whatever they may be), who are we to tell them they're wrong and that they should be UNhappy??? :? :D

Interesting post. The one problem, many people buy products not for their quality, but for their prestige value. Is Macallan happy about this and laughing their way to the bank; of course. But certainly, the prices for many of their malts are not good values for KNOWLEDGABLE consumers. The FO 15, to me, is a very nice malt. I am not one who things it is Macallan light; i find it a very malty and enjoyble dram. Yet for $70 I can have many other drams what I would enjoy more, or even two bottles that while different, are comperable in quality. The case becomes more convincing when you look at the older FO expressions. Here is what they cost at Binnys, a good, fairly priced store.

Records 1 to 4 of 4 1

Macallan 10yr Old Fine Oak

750ML $39.99/btl $455.89/case Buy

Macallan 15yr Old Fine Oak

750ML $72.99/btl $832.04/case Buy

Macallan 21yr Old Fine Oak

750ML $239.99/btl $1,367.94/case Buy

Macallan 30yr Old Fine Oak

750ML $699.99/btl $3,989.94/case

Lets take the 21, for $239.00

Here is another 21 year old I can get for the same price.

Glenfarclas 21yr Old

50ML $99.99/btl $569.94/case

For drinking, I will take the Farclas. It is a great whisky, more complexity and depth than the 21FO. With the money left over, throw in an Ardbeg 10, a Dalmore 10, and mabye a Glengoyne 17 for good measure. That is about the same price as one 21FO. Hey, Macallan may be laughing their way to the bank on the backs of those who do not know what else is out there, but I am going to be for more satisfyind with my more cost effective buys
Last edited by Drrich1965 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Great example Rich!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:42 pm

Oliver wrote:Mister TattieHeid:

Frankly, I do not believe you. You have made similar references previously, and the d and the l are well separated on the keyboard.

Oliver wrote:I invite you to apologize in turn for your snide comment a few posts above when you directed me to "foam at the mouth about one thing at a time" I found that offensive and uncalled for.
Do you have it in you to concede that your first comment on this thread was not constructive and rude, MrTattieHeid? :?:

Oliver, you have two basic rants. One is that Edrington Group shot your dog and violated your mother. The other is that Jim Murray shot your dog and violated your mother. You are entitled to your opinions, as inane and tiresome as they are. You are even entitled to express them over and over and over and over and over. These days I do my best to ignore them. I'm sure I should have this time, as well--it's what any sensible person here does. I simply couldn't help noticing, with some amusement, that you morphed one rant into the other, entirely without provocation, as if you felt you simply hadn't had enough opportunity to dump on Murray lately and just had to get it out. It might almost have been funny, if it weren't all so tediously boring. "Not constructive and rude" indeed, and irrelevant as well. That was my point, and I stand by it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:23 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Oliver wrote:Mister TattieHeid:

Frankly, I do not believe you. You have made similar references previously, and the d and the l are well separated on the keyboard.

Oliver wrote:I invite you to apologize in turn for your snide comment a few posts above when you directed me to "foam at the mouth about one thing at a time" I found that offensive and uncalled for.

Oliver, you have two basic rants. One is that Edrington Group shot your dog and violated your mother. The other is that Jim Murray shot your dog and violated your mother. You are entitled to your opinions, as inane and tiresome as they are. You are even entitled to express them over and over and over and over and over. These days I do my best to ignore them. I'm sure I should have this time, as well--it's what any sensible person here does. I simply couldn't help noticing, with some amusement, that you morphed one rant into the other, entirely without provocation, as if you felt you simply hadn't had enough opportunity to dump on Murray lately and just had to get it out. It might almost have been funny, if it weren't all so tediously boring. "Not constructive and rude" indeed, and irrelevant as well. That was my point, and I stand by it.

I guess you don't have it in you to apologize for your offensive commments then! No real surprise here!
In this thread you choose to criticize me exclusive of any other comments (up until now).... Which I find a little small minded to put it mildly...
You know, insulting people, telling them they foam at the mouth when all they do is disagree with your way of seeing things... that's a problem! This is a discussion forum, last I heard. If you don't like my opinions and my posts and the fact that I make connections between what the Edrington did to MAcallan and what JM does to whisky tasting, that's cool! If you can't argue whatever it is you want to say, just do what you say you used to do: ignore them!
I tell you what: you post plenty of -- IMHO-- pretty inane posts which have little to do with whisky, and I don't agree with your stance as a consumer and as a malt afficionado in the least. In fact, you irritate me -- I'm pretty sure -- as much as probably I irritate you...;-) But, guess what? I don't make rude comments everytime I see a post of yours that aggravates me! (And this is not just because I have a life -- after all you do post a lot, lol -- its also because although I am opiniated, I also have a modicum of manners....)

Unless someone annointed you content policeman around here, I don't see what justifies you insulting me on the grounds that you are irritated by, and don't agree with my posts!!!! Refusing to apologize is your privilege, however...
So next time you read my posts -- hold you breath, have a drink or three -- and try not talk about me foaming at the mouth; its silly. Again, if you disagree, you might want to try and articulate your point cogently, MrTattieHeid --its not that hard...
:wink:
Have a good day MisterTattieHeid!
Last edited by Oliver on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:

Glenfarclas 21yr Old

For drinking, I will take the Farclas. It is a great whisky, more complexity and depth than the 21FO. With the money left over, throw in an Ardbeg 10, a Dalmore 10, and mabye a Glengoyne 17 for good measure. That is about the same price as one 21FO. Hey, Macallan may be laughing their way to the bank on the backs of those who do not know what else is out there, but I am going to be for more satisfyind with my more cost effective buys

I'm not quite sure that is all that good of a price for a 50ML bottle. Ha Ha
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:31 am

:D
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:51 pm

I said other....

Macallan is best known for just being Macallan...

To me it is nearly like a designer label i.e. it's the Macallan that people like to have in their cabinette especially when they know very little about whisky but like to think they have style and class.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:39 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I said other....

Macallan is best known for just being Macallan...

To me it is nearly like a designer label i.e. it's the Macallan that people like to have in their cabinette especially when they know very little about whisky but like to think they have style and class.

You know I agree. the marketing idea was to make Macallan a sort of shorthand for "connaisseur" for the non-connaisseurs.... and it works.....
I really think things are being overdone nowadays in that the direction by the edrington group -- if I may veer slightly :wink: -- what with Macallan selling $ 9,000.00 bottles of malt in Lalique bottles......

Link to follow shortly -- in case anyone' s interested :D
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:07 pm

lbacha wrote:
Drrich1965 wrote:

Glenfarclas 21yr Old

I'm not quite sure that is all that good of a price for a 50ML bottle. Ha Ha

Not sure why that is there, that is the price for the full, regular bottle.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:19 am

The poll is unfortunately a little flawed, in that it assumes that Macallan 12 is the standard offering globally. As I understand it, the 12yo is not available in the UK, which is probably referred to above by the fact that several UK posters have suggested the 10yo instead.

Cheers,
AD

P.S. I'm eagerly awaiting Mr T's return of serve :wink: It's "advantage receiver" ! :D
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:37 am

Frodo and Drrich, I agree with both of you.

I think your responses highlight the points I was trying to make. Specifically, the factors that go into the purchase of a luxury item is a complex one and not easily attributable to just one or two things. It's too easy (and wrong) to just dismiss it by saying it's overpriced. Clearly the buyers didn't think so. It may have been the desire to own a luxury good and show it off, it may be a generous gesture as a gift, it may be more money than brains, it may be honest ignorance, it may be such an insignificant amount of money that it's not even on their radar screen, it may be their favorite whisky so the price is not terribly relevant, or it could be innumerable other things. Who knows??

As a business, Macallan's job is to appeal to ALL those motivations! And again, if people think they are getting fair value for their money, who are we to say otherwise? It's not as if a fraud has been perpetrated upon them. And if knowledgeable consumers prefer some other whisky, that's good too! There's room for everyone. :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:51 am

Admiral wrote:P.S. I'm eagerly awaiting Mr T's return of serve....

Retired.

Sherried Malt wrote:It's not as if a fraud has been perpetrated upon them.

I wish you hadn't said that....
Deactivated Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:22 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Sherried Malt wrote:It's not as if a fraud has been perpetrated upon them.

I wish you hadn't said that....

Good point. I realized that afterwards. Maybe I should clarify... I was thinking about Macallan 12, 18, Cask Strength, etc. as examples of honest products whose buyers think provide fair value...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Macallan is best known for

Postby Danny » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:37 pm

Good Whisky :wink: :wink:

I don't really consider the Macallan as over priced, expensive, maybe. A whiskey, or any other item of sale, is over priced when the public stops buying. Seems to be that the Macallan is still number three or four in sales around the world.

I like my Macallans and as long as I can afford them will keep one or more in stock.
Danny
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder