Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Robbie Burns Night

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How do you propose to celebrate the Bard's birthday?

Put on ma kilt finery, skein dhu and eat haggis 'n drink whusky 'til the wee hours wi' th' clan.
37%
Rent a kilt and accoutrements and drink whisky 'til the wee hours.
No votes
Put on a nice suit and celebrate with whisky and a good dinner.
16%
Sit at home drinking whisky in Robbie's memory.
26%
Gee, hadn't made any plans yet.
11%
Uh, who's Robbie Burns? (You sassenach!)
11%

Total votes : 19

Robbie Burns Night

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:26 pm

January 25 is the anniversary of the Bard's birth and many Scots, Scots descendants and "wish I was Scots" get together to celebrate Robbie, and all things Scottish, including Haggis, Whisky, Tatties and Neeps.
How do you propose to celebrate this year, it being the 248th anniversary?
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:34 pm

I don't need an excuse to drink Scotch ;)

Haggis is usually vile. Boiled potatoes and boiled swede are the real reason Scots ran away to Canada and America and England and everywhere else in the world :)

What next, another night when we sit down to a fish supper and a bottle of buckie? :shock:
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:47 pm

ill be having a dram and drining some irn bru and having haggis for dinner, and prob stovies for ma lunch :P
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:48 pm

o, and ill be watching braveheart at some pint during the day.... freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:28 pm

South of the border we will be as always be treating the occasion with the utmost dignity. As always the Haggis will be piped into the room with all incumbents upstanding. The Keeper of the Quaich will address the Haggis and does his business. It is one of the finest things that a group of people can do together.

Slainte.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:01 am

I will be attending the second annual Burn's Night whisky tasting at the Crown Hotel in Bawtry. Looks like another cracking line up from Douglas Laing. Can't wait...

I rented a neutral kilt outfit last year. Cost me about £90. I decided as this was going to be an annual event I would buy myself the outfit with my Clan kilt (Macdonald of the Isles: through my late Paternal Grandmother) I was put off by the cost of about £700 but through patience and waiting for the right items to come up on ebay I've managed to do it for a little over £200. If you are not a fan of hairy knees I suggest you avoid the area.

I have been asked if I will do a reading this year. I'm not sure how Burns will sound in a Yorkshire accent. May have to get a few drams down me first...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Robbie Burns night

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:14 am

TheLaddie wrote:...I would buy myself the outfit with my Clan kilt (Macdonald of the Isles: through my late Paternal Grandmother) I was put off by the cost of about £700 ... I've managed to do it for a little over £200. ..
TheLaddie:
As I recall, the right to wear the tartan comes through the "Sept", or the female side of the clan, so wear your family tartan wi' pride. I personally will be in Brodie regalia and anticipate a variety of a dozen different SMs to sample along with some excellent entertainment.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:56 am

I expect to be having a pint and a dram with Ron in Seattle prior to boarding the Clipper for Victoria the next morning. --Unless there's some Burns Night stuff going on...Ron?
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:21 pm

Is he a mate of Rab C Nesbitt ;-)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:03 am

Not sure yet what I shall be doing, but it will probably involve a haggis, several drams and me in a skirt!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:23 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I expect to be having a pint and a dram with Ron in Seattle prior to boarding the Clipper for Victoria the next morning. --Unless there's some Burns Night stuff going on...Ron?

I think there's some group that holds a Burns dinner on Mercer Island (connected by bridge to Seattle). There are a couple others as well. However, it looks like they all are scheduled for various Saturdays this month, rather than on the 25th. I'll look into it a little more.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby martin grant » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:25 pm

I'll do my usual - a few close friends and family round to the house for haggis dinner. Usually served with a tower of haggis and neeps with some shredded fried leeks on top. Don't usually bother with any tatties, just oatcakes. Got to have a wee bit of sauce though, so take some double cream, splash of ardbeg and some finely chopped leeks. All washed down with even more ardbeg of course
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:09 am

rthomson wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:I expect to be having a pint and a dram with Ron in Seattle prior to boarding the Clipper for Victoria the next morning. --Unless there's some Burns Night stuff going on...Ron?

I think there's some group that holds a Burns dinner on Mercer Island (connected by bridge to Seattle). There are a couple others as well. However, it looks like they all are scheduled for various Saturdays this month, rather than on the 25th. I'll look into it a little more.

Ron

Might be as well to have a quieter night on the eve of the festival, anyway!
Deactivated Member

Postby Quaichuser » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:06 am

Our An Quaich Robbie Burns dinner has been delayed til the 1st, however is looks like it is worth it. :D

Our fare:
Robert Burns World Federation Arran Island 40.0% Isle of
Arran Distilleries

Scotch cured & smoked organic salmon with creamed red char

Glenmorangie 15 yo Highland Single Malt 43.0% Macdonald &
Muir Ltd.

Duncan Taylor Auld Reekie 12 yo Islay Single Malt 46.0%
Duncan Taylor & Co.

Braised Australian lamb shanks with parsnip sage whipped
potatoes - table platters of Haggis

20 Bees Late Harvest Vidal VQA 12.8% Niagara Vintners
Inc. $18.95

Caramelized banana & mascarpone crespelle with house made
coconut ice cream

Coffee and tea

Does anyone know anything about the Duncan Taylor?
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:54 am

I do believe it has been remarked on more than once here--try a search for "reekie".

Ah, lamb; for me, the essential Scottish meal. I guess you can be forgiven for having Aussie lamb. What boggles my mind is getting New Zealand lamb in Scotland, when the buggers are wandering in the street outside the restaurant window.
Deactivated Member

Postby Quaichuser » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:32 am

Thanks Mr T.
Found the Auld Reekie buried in the Mystery Malt section. Certainly sounds interesting. :o

As to the lamb, there are more than a dozen sheep farms within 10 miles of my town here in Ontario. Don't know why we get Aussie lamb either, apart for a supposed cachet.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby GreyArea » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Shortly before Christmas my father invited us to join him in Yorkshire for Burns' Night. There's a pub there that gets into the full spirit of the thing, with recitals and the piping of the haggis. My father will be reciting the Selkirk Grace.

He also got me the complete works of ol' Rabbie for Christmas (as well as a rather nice 10yo Mortlach in a stone bottle).

Really, really looking forward to it.

Since I'm Scottish on my father's side I'll be kilted in the clan tartan (Ross). Spent rather a lot of money on the full formal gear back in October..!
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Robbie Burns Night

Postby Wendy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:13 am

It sounds like a very special night for a number of you. I hope the evening surpasses your expectations and that you will return to this thread and let us know how it all turned out. That evening, I will be flying into Victoria, BC and expect that there will be a couple of drams waiting for me. I can't think of a more appropriate occasion to kick off the Victoria Whisky Festival.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:49 pm

Wendy:
Oh, I am so very, very jealous. I'll just have to make the most of Lochaneil/ Robbie Burns night. This will be the Kenora Whisky Fest, I guess.
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:25 am

Hi Peter:
I am sorry you won't be able to join us this year. But, I have heard that Kenora has been known to throw a few good parties in it's time! Especially this year...I love your signature. :D

We will have to exchange stories (Robbie Burns Night and VWF) in the weeks to come.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:28 am

That's an awfully long drought. What are the Thistles' chances this year?
Deactivated Member

Thistles win, Travellers lost

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:02 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:That's an awfully long drought. What are the Thistles' chances this year?
As good a chance as the Springfield ERGs have!
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder