Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The definitive Sherry monster

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Sherry King?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Aberlour Abunadh
71%
Glenfarclas 105
8%
Glenfarclas 15
No votes
Glenfarclas 12
No votes
Macallan 12
No votes
Macallan 10 CS
13%
Glendronach 15
8%

Total votes : 24

The definitive Sherry monster

Postby Lugarteniente » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:58 pm

Whats your sherried king?
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:00 pm

Of the ones specified: Aberlour a'Bunadh... But do try a Glenrothes matured in sherrycasks for 35yrs+.... Mmmhmmm...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:34 pm

I will (uncharacteristically) hop on the bandwagon and vote for a'bunadh, even though I can't philosophically line up with the "definitive" idea. Heck, a bottle of a'bunadh from any given batch is not even a definitive a'bunadh. I don't know why we feel the need to name the "best" this or "definitive" that. I regret my vote already....
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:37 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I regret my vote already....

No regrets Tattie, no regrets. ;)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby broomer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:39 pm

well im voting aberlour a'bunadh ,a because i love it so and b cos they havent got edradour 13 yo natural cask on the list...caramel vanilla butter 60.2% ...yum!!!

Broomer
broomer

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Bullie wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:I regret my vote already....

No regrets Tattie, no regrets. ;)

You're right...I regret my regrets.
Deactivated Member

Re: The definitive Sherry monster

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:01 am

Lugarteniente wrote:Whats your sherried king?

Macallan CS. Perhaps less "sherry" influence then the Ablerlour --but a better flavour "fit", imho.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:24 am

Glenfarclas 105 definitely beats the others in this pole, and that's not just cause of the 60% strength. In terms of excellent whisky, the 105 is!! It's big, yet smooth, and doesn't need water. The sweetness is perfectly balanced with the dryness! And after being recently disappointed with my batch #12 Aberlour A'bunadh, I will definitely have difficulty finishing the full bottle. The A'bunadh is overly sherried, so much so that it gets rather mediciney, like overly sweet and concentrated cough syrup, and leaves an unpleasantness on your palette. I will try and be a bit more patient with it, give it more air, taste it over and over and over and hope it gets better. But I just wish I wouldn't have opened it so that I could have sold it on, made a few bucks to buy something else I'd enjoy more.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Nock » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:00 am

Just had Glenfarclas 105 tonight for the first time.

I have a bottle of Macallan 10cs and Aberlour A'Bunadh No.16
and I have to say that the the Glenfarclas wins my vote.

I really like the last dram I had of Glenfarclas 12yo and 17yo
This just put me over the edge

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby bjorn » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:21 am

Di Blasi wrote: And after being recently disappointed with my batch #12 Aberlour A'bunadh, I will definitely have difficulty finishing the full bottle. The A'bunadh is overly sherried, so much so that it gets rather mediciney, like overly sweet and concentrated cough syrup, and leaves an unpleasantness on your palette. I will try and be a bit more patient with it, give it more air, taste it over and over and over and hope it gets better. But I just wish I wouldn't have opened it so that I could have sold it on, made a few bucks to buy something else I'd enjoy more.

i had a bottle of #12 last year (my intro to a'bunadh and cs sherry monsters for that matter) and was likewise initially disappointed. but by the end of the bottle many months later i counted it as a favorite. i don't know if it was oxidation or my becoming acclimated to the taste, but i've been searching high and low for the fabled #14 as a result. hope you have similar luck.
-bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby broomer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 pm

batch 17 and 18 are also rather nice ,sherried verry smooth and creamy with a nice warming long finnish #17 is 60.2 % cask and #18 is 59.7% verry morish and i like it mostly without water ,they both rok but i still prefer edradour 13 yo natural but a'bunadh is greatley rated at a nice price 31 £/bottle if ya buy 2 from oddbins, nice, i bought 4,they dont last long enough
:(
Broomer
broomer

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm

When I picked the Macallan CS 10 years old, I was basing my opinion on the vatting contained in the "old style" bottling. Not sure what's in the "perfume style" bottles is comparable.
Outisde of the MAcallan, I would probably pick the Aberlour, though I hear that the latest bottlings of the Glenfarclas have been great...
Its hard to tell, since the quality of the bottlings varies so much even within the same expression.....
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:48 pm

Based on the title 'Sherried Monster' I voted for the Aberlour but if I went on taste alone I would vote for the Glenfarclas, it is great stuff and will replace the Abunadh when I finish it.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:59 am

Has to be with out a doubt Aberlour Abunadh

Smooth voluptuous viscous sherry mmmmm....... heaven
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder