Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bad Company

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Since I started posting here

I buy and drink less--quality over quantity, you know
5%
I buy and drink about the same
33%
I buy and drink more--all this talk makes me thirsty
40%
You people are driving me to ruin!
23%

Total votes : 43

Bad Company

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:06 pm

How has your membership in this forum affected your buying and drinking habits?
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:09 pm

ive personally just bought the same. whatever i can get my hands on ;)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:19 pm

I find myself buying more and drinking less. My goal is to be a weekend single malt drinker with a collection of some of the tastiest liquids on the planet--for drinking and for gifts of course.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:28 pm

for gifts.... how could you.... i could never GIVE whisky away. it would be like giving away an eye or a leg or somthing....

i need a drink to calm down, feel all frout after that...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:07 pm

I used to wait for new stuff to be released. But now I know when things are available and am able to get my hands on even small limited releases. which is just fantastic. As for giving it away as gifts, that will have to wait for my passing away as my inheritance to my daughters.

So the forums have been really informative. When I go away on holiday I have to catch up again on my return.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:11 pm

vitara7 wrote:for gifts.... how could you.... i could never GIVE whisky away. it would be like giving away an eye or a leg or somthing....

i need a drink to calm down, feel all frout after that...

I have bosses and clients. Gifts are a must! As a whisky drinker would you rather get a bottle of whisky or wine?
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:00 pm

This forum has driven me to drink!

I used to a fine upstanding member of society, now I stumble around talking about midget pony's, Keith Richards and now lobsters!

I even wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat dreaming I've just drunk a bottle of Loch Dhu . . .
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Cam » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:17 pm

In the last year since joining this group I have definitely spent more and consumed more whisky than in the past. Of course the increase in quantity has not compromised quality. So many different expressions and an enquiring mind. A modicum of control is keeping me from slipping into ruin :) .

Cam
Cam

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:03 am

Deffo, if I'm reading the forum I just get the urge to drink (a bit of a problem when it's during working hours :wink: )

But even reading about different malts I am very much encouraged to buy, buy, buy, I say.

You'll have the roof from over my head soon .....

Damn you all ............... :lol: :lol: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Changes to my whisky habits.

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:29 am

Bruce:
I still purchase the same amount of whisky as always, however I now find myself searching for whiskies that have been mentioned by several of the posters on the forum. I find that I acknowledge and trust the tastes of many of the forummers. Thereby, my collecting and enjoying of SM has taken a turn for the better. IMHO.

As for drinking, I find that I put a bit more thought into choosing what I'm tasting and have actually dropped my intake, while maintaining my acquisitions. I'm now more likely to sit listening to WhiskyCast (a blatant plug for Mark) on the ear buds, while enjoying a dram's nuances and perusing the forums.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:33 am

At the moment I actually buy less but drink more. I think this comes from reading about the effects of leaving a less than half full bottle undrunk and I am trying to finish some of these off. I still only drink 7-14 units a week but I am far less likely to have a bottle of wine or something else.

I also think it would be rude of me to sit at my PC posting without a dram. Atmosphere is important.

There's also a lot of stuff I wouldn't have considered before but you guys have made me curious to try. I need a pay rise (the only reason I buy less)...

I also put a lot more thought into my tasting. I tend to leave the glass for a good while before touching it to allow the nose to develop wheras I used to pour and nose/drink pretty quickly. I worked out that this is why I was a little disappointed with whiskies I had enjoyed at tastings. I just wasn't giving them the proper respect at home.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:12 am

I voted for ruin. I’m not drinking more, but I’m drinking differently. Before this forum, I had no idea of the depth of this marvelous elixir. I’ve been drinking single malts for a few years, but basically only Balvenie Double Wood and Talisker 10, both of which are available at the tiny duty free just north of the border (and both wonderful drams). Now, I read this forum constantly, I order my malts from NYC for variety’s sake, subscribe to the magazine, purchased the bible, nose my whisky, and spell it without an e. I’m pretty much a man possessed. In fact, my wife and I are planning on a trip to Dufftown and Islay this summer, all because of you guys. Ruined, I tell you, ruined.
l'chaim

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:54 am

Attaboy! May I suggest staying in Craigellachie, rather than Dufftown? The Highlander makes a really nice home pub--I wasn't much impressed by any of the ones in Dufftown--and of course, there's the Quaich Bar at the Craig. I can give you contact info for a couple of B&B's if you are interested. And in Islay, the Port Charlotte Hotel makes a fine base, as well (top notch restaurant). It's on the pricey side, but there are other options nearby. Others here will have opinions on the best places to visit and stay, as well, so don't hesitate to ask. And be sure to check out Undiscovered Scotland for all sorts of travel info.
Deactivated Member

Postby l'chaim » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:10 am

Thanks Mr TH. As we get closer to booking I intend to make much use of the expertise found on these forums in terms of where to stay, where to eat and where to dram. I’ve already done much reading at Undiscovered Scotland, thanks to your links page. Excellent site. At work, when I surf (which of course isn’t *cough* often), it’s to Undiscovered Scotland or visitscotland.com, especially as they block whiskymag.com, the blighters.
l'chaim

Postby shoganai » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:27 am

I voted for "buy more, drink more" although the most appropriate option for me would have been "buy more, drink the same".

On the buying side: Since I started reading (and more recently posting) here, I've been much more aware of odd bottlings that I see here and there and have been a bit more loose with my cash as well. I've also begun to take advantages of my time out of State as an oppotunity to find different and cheaper bottles. So basically now I have a shelf of bottles that I haven't tasted. I guess I'll have to start making up special occasions or somthing.

On the drinking side: I drank plenty before discovering this place, no need to try for more. If anything, I've been getting better at savoring each and every sip.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:33 am

shoganai wrote:I voted for "buy more, drink more" although the most appropriate option for me would have been "buy more, drink the same".

Yes, I didn't cover all the possible permutations. You can read that option as "buy and/or drink more". If I'd wanted to be fussy about it, I'd have done separate buying/drinking polls, but in my mind, a poll is just a jumping off point for conversation, anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:29 am

I definitely buy more, much more. When I started here, I was a 2-3 bottle guy. Now I have more than 35 bottles and are hard pressed to keep it at that.

But the really significant change has been to my perception of price and quality. In the early days, I thought DKK 500 was a lot of money for a bottle of whisky. Today I find DKK 500 rather cheap for a quality malt and routinely pay more than that. (DKK 500 is ~ £45)

I do drink a little more, I think. A lot more whisky, but almost no wine anymore. I adhere to a strict "no whisky on weekdays" rule for myself, thus limiting my enjoyment of malts to weekends. I usually have 3 drams pr weekend evening, but this varies.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:41 am

My brother and I were talking about this subject and we came to the conclusion what were we doing before the scales were lifted from our eyes. We probably were drinking the six classic malts and the odd glenmorangie or bowmore. The last 3 0r 4 years have been like a road to damascus experience.

The different nuances and complexities of single malts really are just fantastic. I have got started a few of my mates on the road to ruin as well.

les taylor

Postby Leither » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:43 am

This forum has got me completely hooked on the stuff - in the last year I have gone from drinking the odd Bowmore, Macallan and supermarket own labels (BTW a great introduction to regional styles) to sourcing old bottles of Bladnoch, Brora and even Irish stuff like Black Bush and Elijah Craig bourbon.

I've also been to several tastings including the fantastic Whisky Fringe in August.

But yes, since being on this forum (6 months or so) I've bought 50+ bottles, instead of my normal 1 or 2 a year and now have a few drams about twice a week.

Definitely buying more than drinking but I find this place just a fantastic fountain of knowledge on all things whisky.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:30 am

I put down buy and drink more since posting mostly because it just doesn't feel right being the on site and not to have a dram next to me. The drawback for my liver is that forum time is now in addition to all the other times I drink. Naturally, drinking more means that I need to buy more. On second thought maybe I should have voted for driving me to ruin.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:46 pm

Great band by the way

Can't Get Enough .... :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:30 pm

The Midget pony is in another thread :wink:

les taylor

Postby dram_time » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:13 pm

I voted for ruin!!!! its because of you guy's that this year i am going to drink a small fortune in whisky! not to mention the bottles i will be putting aside for the future!!!

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:03 pm

This place has been great. I get lots of great feedback and advice on Scotch here. Actually, I've found that, most often, the opinions on these boards are more accurate than any of the respected critics.

I haven't gone hog wild and bought everything under the sun. But I make better choices and usually I'm not dissapointed when I throw some coin at a higher priced whiskey.

SP
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby BubbaC » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Definitely buying more and drinking more. Although I can't say it's been a negative thing, people are beginning to wonder where I squirrel myself away. I must say though, the range of whisky's I've been trying and buying have become much more diverse. So all in all a good experience.
BubbaC

Postby Frodo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:34 am

I'm drinking less and spending more given the bottles I'm buying tend to have gone up in price point since I've been on this board...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:45 pm

A thread about Bad Company and not one mention of Paul Rogers......Disgraceful ! :lol:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:28 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:A thread about Bad Company and not one mention of Paul Rogers......Disgraceful ! :lol:

He has had his hands full on the "Word Association" thread lately...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:45 pm

buying more, drinking less.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder