Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Abunadh: how do you drink it?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Water or not?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:04 pm

Full
60%
Add a drop of water
40%

Total votes : 40

Postby badams » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:45 pm

a little ice and a dash of evian or mountain valley(check bottling date for freshness, less than 4-5 months is best), IMO. No need to play games with your bodies facilities. :lol:

anywhere between 60-70 proof is good for me to start at, as the taste buds die I will up the mix 75-80-85-90 as well go, to get that taste back, I dont want a big blast of flavor but a true long term taste palatte. if you start strong you can never revive it. years in the dungeon I guess and I hate to bruise my knees going to the john these days :mrgreen:
Last edited by badams on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badams

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:55 pm

I've been struggling to enjoy it, my bottle of A'bunadh batch 12. It's not the 60% alcohol that gets me, it's the mediciny, (no, not Islay style medicinal notes I enjoy), but the overly sherried style. So maybe more water will help, although I imagine that off characteristic will persist, as it's quite dominant in the finish.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I've been struggling to enjoy it, my bottle of A'bunadh batch 12. It's not the 60% alcohol that gets me, it's the mediciny, (no, not Islay style medicinal notes I enjoy), but the overly sherried style. So maybe more water will help, although I imagine that off characteristic will persist, as it's quite dominant in the finish.

Be very careful with the water on batch no 12. Just a drop to much will render it into orange soup...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:31 pm

Bullie wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:I've been struggling to enjoy it, my bottle of A'bunadh batch 12. It's not the 60% alcohol that gets me, it's the mediciny, (no, not Islay style medicinal notes I enjoy), but the overly sherried style. So maybe more water will help, although I imagine that off characteristic will persist, as it's quite dominant in the finish.

Be very careful with the water on batch no 12. Just a drop to much will render it into orange soup...

Wow, thanks for that advice Bullie! I'll have to give it another try, with just a drop at a time. But the only reason I feel it's needed is cause of that edgey weird overly sherried cough medicine finish. We'll see, maybe later tonight.
Di Blasi

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:50 am

I'm onto batch 16 - tried the 17 on burns night thanks to a neighbour...

...and yes, it burns...unless sipped carefully.

how do i drink a'bunadh?

With care, awe, and great pleasure!!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:13 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:I'm onto batch 16 - tried the 17 on burns night thanks to a neighbour...

...and yes, it burns...unless sipped carefully.

how do i drink a'bunadh?

With care, awe, and great pleasure!!!

...and with no cough medicine in the finish or aftertaste?? Lucky you if so!
Di Blasi

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:52 pm

If cough medicine tastes like this i'd have a permnent one!

Actually i do get a bit of "cough medicine" but more in the first hit rather than the finish...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby mr_c » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:25 pm

I'm a 'diluter'

I have a bottle from batch 15 at the moment, and have found the adding water doesn't effect the 'burst' of aromas to the nose or the sensations your taste buds experience.

My advice is to track down a bottle and try it for yourself :lol:

mr_c
mr_c

Postby Rory B Bellows » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:33 pm

I found a little water cooled it off just enough to let the fruit come through.
Rory B Bellows

Postby fergusa » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Its too feisty to drink undiluted for me and a waste of the complex flavour
fergusa

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:38 pm

It is too wonderfully dense and complex for me to even think of adding water!
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:45 pm

I try not to drink it at all! It's my own silly idea of self-flagellation; to see how long I can resist opening that lovely bottle everyone is praising the contents of. I've resisted it so far but as soon as another bottle can be found I'll open it promptly!

I've had quite a few other cask strength whiskies close to 60% and have occasionally used a little water. Whatever suits you!
Mr Fjeld

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder