Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bourbon

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What Bourbon do you prefer?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Maker's Mark
13%
Knob Creek
40%
Woodford Reserve
27%
Jim Beam Black Label
20%

Total votes : 15

Bourbon

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Please vote for your favourite Bourbon.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:44 pm

I voted for Knob Creek. It's not anything exeptional, but it's a decent bourbon. I find that it gets better the longer it sits in the open bottle, mellows out over time.

Makers mark is also Ok, it uses wheat in the corn mash which gives it a slightly different flavor (a little less sweet, more smooth). MM isn't any worse than knob creek, but a little different - both are fairly "middle of the road" bourbons.

Woodford Reserve is supposed to be a bit more of a premium bourbon, but I don't care for it at all. I've found it to be bland in flavor, and usually overpriced.

So either the Knob Creek or the MM would be good, but you could also check around in other stores to see if there are any other choices available in your area, you might be able to find better stuff, and some really good bourbons usually don't cost any more than the average ones do, sometimes the good ones cost even less.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Ah, I see you've added Jim Beam Black since your recent posted thread -- that's a horse of a different hue. Save the $10-$12 from Knob Creek and buy the JB Black. It's made from the same mashbill, is consistent, and virtually unrelated (they change the still settings for the Black) to the ubiquitous white label.
(By the way, Jim Beam distills/barrels to brand -- that is, they intend given production to eventually be used in a particular label, and thus warehouse it and age it accordingly.)

(Disclaimer: when you state "Vote for your favorite bourbon", I voted for my favorite among those posted. None of these, frankly, cracks my top 15 -- though, JB Black might rank in my top 10, value-wise.)
Last edited by Deactivated Member on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:45 pm

I also selected JB Black. I am not a bourbon afficianado, but I have this one and it grows in me..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:58 pm

I've not had the JB Black, but my bourbon stock is begining to run dangerously low though. Perhaps on my next shopping excursion I'll grab a bottle and give it a try.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Cam » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:05 pm

I voted for Maker's Mark as it is the only one on the list that I've tried. I usually drink Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig (which I can only get out of Province)

Cam
Cam

Postby Wave » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:13 pm

Blanton's

Not on the ...ahem ...list. :twisted:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:11 pm

I didn't put Blanton's on the list because I can't get it here in Ontario Canada. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Miandi » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:49 pm

TNbourbon

I like to switch off from scotch to bourbon and back again. Currently I have Woodford Reserve and Elijah Craig 12 open. What would be your top 5 bourbons? I know there are different varieties of bourbon, so if you could include a range of top bourbons that would represent these varieties that would be great.

I follow you posts here and at StraighBourbon when I have a question about bourbon, so I would be interested in your input.
Miandi

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:55 pm

Pappy Van Winkle 20yo is definitely the most complex and my favorite to dram. Bourbon is more for easy drinking though.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:56 pm

Miandi wrote:TNbourbon

I like to switch off from scotch to bourbon and back again. Currently I have Woodford Reserve and Elijah Craig 12 open. What would be your top 5 bourbons? I know there are different varieties of bourbon, so if you could include a range of top bourbons that would represent these varieties that would be great.

I follow you posts here and at StraighBourbon when I have a question about bourbon, so I would be interested in your input.

• Cheap and Easy (generally under $20 per standard bottle): Jim Beam Black, Evan Williams Black, W.L. Weller 12yo, Buffalo Trace, Rittenhouse Rye Bottled In Bond;
  • Mid-Shelf Motivators ($20-$35): Evan Williams Single Barrel, Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey (8yo), Old Charter Classic 12yo, Old Grand-Dad 114 proof, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon;
  • Top Dollar for Top Shelf (over $35): George T. Stagg, Eagle Rare 17yo, Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye, William Larue Weller, Pappy Van Winkle 15yo/Pappy 20, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit;
  • Experiences Worth Paying For ($$$$): Pappy Van Winkle 23yo (first two issues only; skip the 'A' series), Rittenhouse 21yo (though I wish they'd left it at barrel-proof, which was outstanding!), Wild Turkey Jimmy Russell Tribute 15yo;
  • Buy If Found (no longer made): Wild Turkey 12yo (still exists in some export regions, but not currently bottled), A.H. Hirsch 16yo or 20yo (not quite up to hype, but very good, historical and rare), Eagle Rare 10yo/101 proof (also a 'cheap and easy'!); Jefferson's Reserve 15yo/glass-stoppered (not the current, inferior 'Very Old' version).

If you should happen by Kentucky, there are some very nice, not-too-expensive bourbons available only (or nearly only) there: Ancient Ancient Age 10yo (not 10 Star), Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yo Bottled In Bond, Four Roses Single Barrel (domestic 100 proof), Four Roses Small Batch.

And also, of course, this list is far from exclusive -- there are many very fine bourbons at reasonable prices that I enjoy -- but these all are ones I'd be delighted to have someone serve me as their guest, or find available in a bar/tavern.
Deactivated Member

Postby Rory B Bellows » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:23 pm

Maker's Mark is the most consistent. And in the summer, it makes a very good old-fashioned cocktail.
Rory B Bellows

Postby WoodyXJS » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:29 am

I must say that Bookers is a delight for me.
Woody
WoodyXJS

Postby Steve Rush » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:13 pm

From the listed options I would go for the Knob Creek but there is a whole vast world of other great bourbons. Elijah Craig 12 always goes down nicely, too well infact. If that's a bad thing. :wink:
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby dcb » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:45 pm

TNbourbon wrote:[*]Buy If Found (no longer made): Eagle Rare 10yo/101 proof

I don't know too much about bourbons (but I'm learning), but I have a bottle of this and the two stores near me have ample stock on the shelves, is it really no longer made? If so, I'll be getting a few more bottles while they're on the shelf, this is really great stuff for a great price!
dcb

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:10 pm

dcb wrote:
TNbourbon wrote:[*]Buy If Found (no longer made): Eagle Rare 10yo/101 proof

I don't know too much about bourbons (but I'm learning), but I have a bottle of this and the two stores near me have ample stock on the shelves, is it really no longer made? If so, I'll be getting a few more bottles while they're on the shelf, this is really great stuff for a great price!

There hasn't been any Eagle Rare 10/101 bottled for 2 years or more. Buffalo Trace has taken ER upscale, now offering only the 10yo single-barrel and the 17yo Antique Collection entry. The price niche of the former ER 10/101 is occupied by the distillery's eponymous label.
Deactivated Member

Postby dcb » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:28 am

you're right, I checked my bottle when I got home from work tonight and the Eagle Rare 10 I have is the 90 proof, not the 101. Still a great bourbon!
dcb

Postby Phil M » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:23 am

Van Winkle Family Reserve - 15 year old - 107 proof.
Phil M

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:39 am

Let me just state my opinion -- in full realization that this is primarily a Scotch whisky forum -- that bourbon is a world-class whiskey. It is different from, but not inferior to, Scotch.
I don't, in the least, mind that others prefer Scotch whisky -- either single malt or blend -- but it irks me no end when folks refuse to acknowledge bourbon for what it is. It's often a fine drink, and if you don't try it, you are parochial beyond countenance -- in other words, a snob.
I try mightily not to be, regardless of my prediliction.
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:19 pm

I'll second TNBourbon on his comments about bourbon, it might be different but it isn't inferior, I knew alot of people in the Netherlands that wouldn't even try it at the bar or at a festival considering it to be no comparison to scotch. I don't maind if people don't want to drink that just leavs more for me, I am concerned that there is alot of good bourbon out there that I don't get a chance to try though.

I'm going to need to make a pilgrimage to Kentucky this spring or summer and try some of those elusive bourbons, TNBourbon I may have to ask you for some help on setting an itinerary.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:14 pm

TNbourbon wrote:Let me just state my opinion -- in full realization that this is primarily a Scotch whisky forum -- that bourbon is a world-class whiskey. It is different from, but not inferior to, Scotch.
I don't, in the least, mind that others prefer Scotch whisky -- either single malt or blend -- but it irks me no end when folks refuse to acknowledge bourbon for what it is. It's often a fine drink, and if you don't try it, you are parochial beyond countenance -- in other words, a snob.

Totally agree TNb I used to think the same about peoples opinion on Irish. However that is why we are here to let people know there is more to it than JD & coke or Jameson & Ginger ale :wink:

I do notice that the forum has become more open to the loves close to our heart which is all that I want. A bit of respect for all whisk(e)y types goes a long way.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:17 pm

TNbourbon wrote:Let me just state my opinion -- in full realization that this is primarily a Scotch whisky forum -- that bourbon is a world-class whiskey. It is different from, but not inferior to, Scotch.

Totally agree TNb I used to think the same about peoples opinion on Irish. However that is why we are here to let people know there is more to it than JD & coke or Jameson & Ginger ale :wink:

I do notice that the forum has become more open to the loves close to our heart which is all that I want. A bit of respect for all whisk(e)y types goes a long way.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:18 am

I just ordered a bottle of WoodFord Reserve :D
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:07 am

all this talk of bourbon has me trying my first one in since I was in college (ok that was only four years ago but still). Anyways I am opening a bottle of Ridgemont reserve 1792. Nice. much better than i remember bourbon being. Vanilla, honey, and some nice oak for balance.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:02 am

As much as I like all of the bourbons on the list, I wouldn't rate any of them as a favourite. Of the four, I'd probably give the nod to Maker's Mark. The standard bottling is a solid performer, and the wheated version (with a black seal) is just excellent. I have yet to see the black seal in these parts, though.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:31 am

Yes, those are all decent standard bourbons. The Maker's Mark is superb, nice for sipping, or enjoying in cocktails if done right.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:46 pm

Badmonkey wrote:...Maker's Mark. The standard bottling is a solid performer, and the wheated version (with a black seal) is just excellent...

They're ALL wheated bourbon -- Maker's Mark has never made anything but a wheater, and they only make a single recipe. It's all the same stuff. Although they package it different ways, the only version available in the U.S. is the standard 90 proof. Export markets get some higher-proof bottlings, but the only difference is the proof.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Really?? With all of the various and colorful wax seals, etc, they are all the same whisky except for the strength? Interesting, but packaging does count for lots I guess! Anyway, at least it's a great bourbon to start with!
Di Blasi

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:34 am

I stand corrected.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:28 am

With all of the craze for whisk(e)y and bourbon these days, if Maker's Mark is making the same whiskey, just changing the strength and bottlings, they'll be sure to perhaps do different styles soon, if they wanna keep up.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:12 am

Di Blasi wrote:With all of the craze for whisk(e)y and bourbon these days, if Maker's Mark is making the same whiskey, just changing the strength and bottlings, they'll be sure to perhaps do different styles soon, if they wanna keep up.

They ARE currently in the process of an expansion, but it was due anyway -- they've sold everything they can make for quite awhile now. Some bottling has already been removed from Loretto to Jim Beam since the latter's acquisition of Maker's, spun off of the Pernod/Allied deal.
But, I've heard not the slightest rumor of any change in what they offer. And, frankly, why should they until/unless they can't any longer sell all they make?
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:32 am

Well, it's good whiskey, why change that right. But was just surprised there wasn't much difference. But then again, to taste the same whisky at different bottling strengths would be interesting.
Di Blasi

Postby l'chaim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:48 am

What’s interesting is that Murray rates the red and gold seal (45% and 55.5% ABV respectively) at 89, but gives the black (47.5%) a 93. in fact, he fairly ‘waxes’ poetic about the black seal.
l'chaim

Postby Wendy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:19 pm

TNbourbon and others,
Does not the proof change the profile (nose/taste) of a whiskey? In the case of Maker's Mark, I would think that alone would be a distinguishing factor from one bottle to the next.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:29 pm

I agree Wendy,

Maker's Mark seems to have varied a lot of the years. It may be the same recipe, but that does not mean it's the same whiskey. All single malts use the same grain mix ! They seem to taste pretty different though.

The black label is much heavier and more woody (and tastier IMO) than the red. It certainly tasted older to me. One bottle one recipe, but different tasting whiskies.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder