Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bourbon

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What Bourbon do you prefer?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Maker's Mark
13%
Knob Creek
40%
Woodford Reserve
27%
Jim Beam Black Label
20%

Total votes : 15

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Yes, it's likely that adding water changes the profile of the whisky somewhat. Even temperature changes affects the release of esters and water is bound to jumpstart some chemical reaction too.
Laphroaig 10 CS certainly tastes somewhat different than the standard 10yo and noone would disagree with that I think.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:33 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Yes, it's likely that adding water changes the profile of the whisky somewhat. Even temperature changes affects the release of esters and water is bound to jumpstart some chemical reaction too.
Laphroaig 10 CS certainly tastes somewhat different than the standard 10yo and noone would disagree with that I think.

Bingo!! Yup, I have to totally agree here, (regarding the Laphroaig 10 cask strength and non-cask strengths.) The lightbulb just went off, great example Mr Fjeld!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:23 pm

I've found that now that I have started regularly drinking scotch, that each time I have a bourbon I am left with an odd taste in my mouth that I do not much appreciate. This was the case with Jim Beam black label. I thought perhaps because it was just a so so bourbon. Then I bought a bottle of Knob Creek and I was left with the same thing. Maybe it's the corn? I scooped up a bottle of Balvenie 12 and it's beautiful. I tried some last night. The sad thing is, is that i have impacted wisdom teeth that need to be extracted and I have a cold so I think it reduced my ability to truly appreciate this elixir of the Gods! I also have to pick up a bottle of Highland Park 12 because that consistantly gets positive reviews here.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:23 pm

JB and KC are both beam brands. Not my favourite either. Try some Wild Turkey or Buffalo trace for a cleaner bourbon experience.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:36 pm

oh ok ty!
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder