Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your monthly budget?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

My monthly budget for whisky is:

Less than £60/$125/€100
39%
Between £60/$125/€100 and £120/$250/€200
40%
Between £120/$250/€200 and £200/$425/€350
21%

Total votes : 112

Postby Thesh » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:58 pm

I used to spend $200 US on whiskey every month. Now I have cut that down significantly. Spending $100 on alcohol, but most of that being expensive beer.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:22 pm

I usually don't buy whisky here in Norway, but I like to save for when I travel abroad as I can get my hands on single cask bottlings and other special things that don't make it up this way. I'll buy the Mackmyra Preludiums as they're released here, (:04 is available real soon!) I maintain control of my shopping, though it is getting tougher here with new special releases arriving more frequently. Some great Diageo special releases arriving in the fall to save up for. A monthly budget doesn't apply to me.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:42 am

I don't have a monthly budget, I tend to operate more on "space available on top of the welsh dresser" which usually equates to 18 bottles. Unfortunately I seem to have some fairly debatable malts and a bottle of Jack Daniels in the current lot which might have to go down the sink to make room for better stuff! (100% drinker - I just don't "get" collecting)
Dangerous_Dave

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:49 pm

I ask my wife if I can spend my overtime pay on whisky and she says of course. So for the last two months, I average $1000 a month on whisky purchases. 2/3 of that goes to the collection and a third goes to my stomach. Oh I just send a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yrs to my oldest son who is also a single malt enthusiast. He has received it and says its sooooo good. He does not know it yet but I will be sending him a Lag Distillers Choice and an Ardbeg Uigeadail very soon.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:41 pm

LeoDLion wrote:I ask my wife if I can spend my overtime pay on whisky and she says of course. So for the last two months, I average $1000 a month on whisky purchases. 2/3 of that goes to the collection and a third goes to my stomach. Oh I just send a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yrs to my oldest son who is also a single malt enthusiast. He has received it and says its sooooo good. He does not know it yet but I will be sending him a Lag Distillers Choice and an Ardbeg Uigeadail very soon.

Your son is a lucky guy...
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:02 am

Jan wrote:
LeoDLion wrote:I ask my wife if I can spend my overtime pay on whisky and she says of course. So for the last two months, I average $1000 a month on whisky purchases. 2/3 of that goes to the collection and a third goes to my stomach. Oh I just send a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yrs to my oldest son who is also a single malt enthusiast. He has received it and says its sooooo good. He does not know it yet but I will be sending him a Lag Distillers Choice and an Ardbeg Uigeadail very soon.

Maybe he'll adopt us, Jan?
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Jan wrote:

Maybe he'll adopt us, Jan?
Muskrat

I am afraid we already adopted two wonderful... dogs to replaced the two sons that flew the nest. I am trying to teach the mutt how to taste sm but I am afraid he might take on the stuff too much and be a bad competitor. As for the beagle, he just likes to sniff the stuff and is mighty contented.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Re: Your monthly budget?

Postby Dscotland » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:27 am

Don`t know how much i`ve spent but i`ve bought about 20 bottles this month
Dscotland

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:54 pm

I voted the last choice though I wish I'd stay more in line with the middle option and I will eventually.

I agree with IainB on all points and lately my purchases are me just trying to stay ahead of the curve of Malts disappearing from my market, new releases, price increases, etc... so I'd be set for quite some time if I stop right now. 8)
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:44 pm

I voted for less than 100 EUR a while ago, when I just started and spent less than 100 EUR on whisky... ever...

Two months later, my monthly budget appears to be well over 1000 EUR.. :oops:

But that's mainly because I wanted to get a broad range of expressions to start with, so I expect that to go down to a couple hundred euros a month.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Delinquent » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:23 pm

Uff, I've had once a budged... it never worked.

Since 2005 i've spent approx. 18'000$ US just for Whisky - no Events/Holiday's included. So, then it is a simple Calculation... divided by 27 months ist 666$/month. What I must remark is that the average price of a bottle ist steadly increasing. It was once around 50$ an has now reached 200$. As far, I bought 122 bottles for 147$ average.

And the best is.... my wife knows it :P

cu

Del
Delinquent

Postby MrIntrepid » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:12 pm

Delinquent wrote:Uff, I've had once a budged... it never worked.

Since 2005 i've spent approx. 18'000$ US just for Whisky - no Events/Holiday's included. So, then it is a simple Calculation... divided by 27 months ist 666$/month. What I must remark is that the average price of a bottle ist steadly increasing. It was once around 50$ an has now reached 200$. As far, I bought 122 bottles for 147$ average.

And the best is.... my wife knows it :P

cu

Del

Great commitment to the cause Delinquent and an understanding wife too. My fiancee knows about my spending too she probably has 122 pairs of shoes so she doesn't really argue much :D
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:15 pm

This seems to be a very wealthy discussion board. I am out of place here. If you need someone to scrub your doorsteps...
Aidan

Postby MrIntrepid » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:15 pm

K-Mile wrote:I voted for less than 100 EUR a while ago, when I just started and spent less than 100 EUR on whisky... ever...

Two months later, my monthly budget appears to be well over 1000 EUR.. :oops:

But that's mainly because I wanted to get a broad range of expressions to start with, so I expect that to go down to a couple hundred euros a month.

It an addiction k-mile don't you know :D I remember when I said I wouldn't spend more than £35 on a bottle, then I said I wouldn't spend more than £50 on a bottle, then I said I wouldn't spend more than £100 and so on and so on....
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:02 pm

MrIntrepid wrote:It an addiction k-mile don't you know :D I remember when I said I wouldn't spend more than £35 on a bottle, then I said I wouldn't spend more than £50 on a bottle, then I said I wouldn't spend more than £100 and so on and so on....

I never even TRIED to make such a statement myself.. The second bottle I bought was a HP30, around 300EUR/200GBP.

You definitely kept track of your collection Del, or is that all for drinking? Nice to see those understanding better halves.. If my future Mrs. K-Mile would spend those amounts of money on something each month, it will take some willpower to completely be ok with that.. I would be, since I know how this stuff works for me... It might be a nice mutual agreement, it would definitely be easier if you have an expensive hobby yourself as well.

My last GF definitely did not approve of my spending pattern on 'classic' Pentax camera's, so I can only imagine how it would have worked out if I discovered SMS any sooner :)

Aidan, wealth does not equal money, or how much of it you can spend each month... I work hard, don't have much expenses each month, but definitely don't earn all that much... But I do consider myself wealthy, given the fact I can enjoy great things like whisky, am in the company of good friends (and on this forum: very knowledgeable such as yourself), and go to work each day with a smile..
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:39 pm

Too much and not enough.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:53 pm

I use credit to pay off credit and then with any remaining credit I blow it all on whisky I can't afford. I am an addict. :o
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Jobi wrote:Too much and not enough.

Lol

Zero- moved house, big mortgage.
The dilema was a nice village primary school for the kids or whisky for me.
The missus decided the former.
I only get whisky now by whineing.
(which I'm good at)

DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Delinquent » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:23 am

@K-Mile
I do have only a few ~10-15 bottles which I collect (all PE Annual Releases). The others will be opened one day. But this day can be far in the future... no panic, with the amount that I consume now, I'm gonna need at least 30 years to empty them all...
Since I started drinking Single Malt the consumption of all other alcoholics has dropped dramatically. Only wine with a good meal and in the summer sometimes a cold beer... thats it.
During an average week, I consume on two days alcohol - which is in my opinion not too much (and of course not to much on these days...).

Regards

Del
Delinquent

Postby corbuso » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:41 am

MrIntrepid wrote:
It an addiction k-mile don't you know :D I remember when I said I wouldn't spend more than £35 on a bottle, then I said I wouldn't spend more than £50 on a bottle, then I said I wouldn't spend more than £100 and so on and so on....

I think this is true for most of us. When I started, my limit was £35/$60 and nowdays, the average price I pay for my bottles is around £100-$180, and it is getting more and more difficult to remain reasonable. In addition, I try to have a budget, but October/November is a challenge, with all these new and excellent releases and I might spend then a lot of money during that period, before cooling down for some months.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Aidan wrote:This seems to be a very wealthy discussion board. I am out of place here. If you need someone to scrub your doorsteps...

If I were you I'd offer to polish (off) half finished bottles instead.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:31 am

My first answer was vague. Usually around 200 CDN a month. Each week I buy a new bottle of something or other.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:05 am

with my new job i can afford decent bottles again, so this month i bought 10 bottles of single malt and bourbon anywhere from 22 dollars to 75 dollars each....usually in the middle.....i will probably continue to buy around 1 new bottle a week......and then there is the beer.....
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:08 pm

thank you!,,,i will find a thread and post pics of what bought this month...
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby hiccy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:18 am

I don't really "budget", I tend to splurge then sit back and enjoy. However, I used to be a 20 a day smoker and whisky really helped me stop, so I suppose £150-200pm I feel okay with.
hiccy

Postby randall fairbrook » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:36 am

nope..not yet..sorry..i got my momma a digital camera for xmas and will use that......thanks for the reminder...!
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:23 pm

I don't set a budget. There is no point for me as I would just blow it every time a bargain, or something interesting passed in front of my eyes. Instead I try to ration the trips I make to whisky shops and limit the opportunities for spending, otherwise I just go mad. (I seem to have more control with mail order stuff)

Doesn't always work though. Last Saturday I was browsing the forum and Leither pointed out that Aberlour A'bunadh was only £25 in Waitrose. Thus inspired I visited a couple of local supermarkets and bought:

Aberlour A'bunadh (3 @ £25) = £75
Laphroiag Cask Strength 10 year old (3 @ £22) = £66
Laphroiag Quarter Cask (1 @ £21) = £21

so £162 on the spur of the moment :oops: .

Therefore, I don't do budgets. They just depress me :( .

Instead I just keep Whisky and worrying about money in two separate camps :thumbsup:
Willie JJ

Postby Leither » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Willie, you'll start to realise this forum is a bad place really!!

:D

You need to stock up tho with all these xmas bargains at Tesco and Waitrose (the A'bunadh especially is a great deal). The only other time of year similar bargains can be had is prior to Fathers day.

Obviously these outlets are used by the clever whisky marketing bods who want to entice the '1 bottle of malt a year' novice or gift-buyer and as such discount their brand. I thank them from the bottom of my wallet! :thumbsup:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:54 pm

Willie I have to agree with Leither. This forum is a very bad place. As soon as hear of a bargain you have to have it. Then as soon as something new comes out, you have to have that as well. It takes at least a couple of years before you start to get some self control back. And then there is whisky live and the temptations are just unbelievable. Leave now whilst you can. :wink:
les taylor

Postby woodhill » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Well I should really be banned from the Whisky Aisle of the local supermarkets as if i see a good deal i am strangely drawn to take all reduced bottles off the shelf and into my trolley.

Strange behaviour :shock:

You get funny looks wheeling a supermarket trolley full of SMW through asda.

"having a party"

:lol:
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:41 pm

Leither wrote:Willie, you'll start to realise this forum is a bad place really!!

:D

les taylor wrote:Willie I have to agree with Leither. This forum is a very bad place. As soon as hear of a bargain you have to have it. Then as soon as something new comes out, you have to have that as well. It takes at least a couple of years before you start to get some self control back. And then there is whisky live and the temptations are just unbelievable. Leave now whilst you can. :wink:

Thanks for your concern gents. I think I'll stick around though. The company is good and the discussion interesting. I'll just have to put up with the risk of being persuaded to buy more whisky, dammit :D .

I should have got involved in these forums years ago it is really good fun, although it is an easy way to spend a lot of time when I really should be doing other things :!:

Missed you at the last Cadenheads tasting Leither. Are you going to the next one? Its the last before Christmas :o .
Willie JJ

Postby Leither » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Willie JJ wrote: Missed you at the last Cadenheads tasting Leither. Are you going to the next one? Its the last before Christmas :o .

Yip, will be there with bells on :P Will need to confirm with Mark, but think my name's down.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby hook55 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:44 am

I don't get much chance to buy where I am!! :( just because not many malts available at the local stores they mostly have Glenmorangie 10y.o. and Glenfiddich 12y.o. I'm planning to go out of the country then buy maybe 10 bottles at duty free. that will have to keep me going until my next trip. :cry:
hook55
Silver Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:51 am

hook55 wrote:I don't get much chance to buy where I am!! :( just because not many malts available at the local stores they mostly have Glenmorangie 10y.o. and Glenfiddich 12y.o. I'm planning to go out of the country then buy maybe 10 bottles at duty free. that will have to keep me going until my next trip. :cry:

You will get into trouble carrying that many, surely?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby hook55 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:41 am

Not here Woodhill, after you arrive into Manila, you have 2 days to go to Duty free and can buy up to $1000.00us on anything they have. Duty Free here which is near the airport has two floors of goods they sell almost everything from whisky to T.V.'s fridges and all the other things Duty free have, plus they have two supermarkets one on each floor. You could spend all day there. making me thirsty just thinking about it. :P
hook55
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder