Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best Bowmore expression.

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Best bowmore

4%
75%
13%
darkest
4%
dawn
No votes
dusk
4%

Total votes : 24

Best Bowmore expression.

Postby Lugarteniente » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Your favorite bowmore?
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:02 pm

17yo, just aged enough.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:17 pm

The 21 was a cracker! Unfortunately hard to find now. :cry:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:37 pm

I voted for the 21y. old which is an absolutely stunning example of Bowmore. The 17y. old is also very good, it's got that perfect combination of peat and malt. I find this to be the most complex of the Bowmores I've tried.
The one to avoid (in my opinion) is the Bowmore Dusk with its ridiculous wine finish. I found it so bad I had to pour half of the bottle down the drain. Totally undrinkable although I'm sure some of you may fancy it.

Cheers

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:49 am

I haven't tried 21yo, but I definitely prefer Dusk to 17yo. A well done finished whisky.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:54 am

Bowmore 17 Yrs for me.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:25 pm

You're missing a few expressions there, I like Mariner 15 a lot. But the 17 is the best I've tried - or is it just nostalgia brought on by it's imminent disappearance?
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:26 pm

I voted for the 17 it is a great dram and well priced, I'm going to need to get some for future drinking, I know it is supposed to be available in N. America for a while but I don't want to bet on that.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:46 pm

Of the one's on choice here - I like the 17yo best - very nice dram with a perfect balance :P

The 12 can be a bit temperamental IMHO - had some good one's (a.o. the old dumpy bottle), but also bad (harsch, soapy) one's

(The Seadragon (30yo ceramich decanter) was another great one - long gone. The bottle is planned to reincarnate as a lamp some day)
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:51 am

The 17 over here!

could be because the first dram i ever had was bought for me by the dear Lady wife of a motor racing legend, my childhood hero and now a knight of the realm, at a hotel near Goodwood. so i drank it in exalted company...

...but objectively speaking, having tried, and enjoyed, the current 1989 limited edition, Dawn, surf, 12 YO (horribly inconsistent, but v.nice at its best, the 15( raw but nice) Dusk, Darkest( probably 2nd fave) i found the 17 to be the most rounded, balanced, and gentle of all...and with a good portion of what i call "unmistakeably bowmore" Oh, but i did once have a 22 YO 46% "First Cask" given to me by my Lucie's dad...which was stunning.

BTW this same "hero" hates whisky, and invited me open a bottle some years back called "The jim Clark festival Malt."Knowing what I now know about whisky, i now CRINGE to think i actually opened it!!

I might start a thread- see if anyone knows its origin.

Must be a Lowlander if Geography is anything to go by...jim came from Berwickshire.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:54 am

Reggaeblues wrote:The 17 over here!
........... a bottle some years back called "The jim Clark festival Malt."Knowing what I now know about whisky, i now CRINGE to think i actually opened it!!

Sorry for asking but are you talking about The Jim Clark - the Lotus driver?

Oh, having only had the pleasure to enjoy the Surf and the 17yo I can say the first is good and the second very good!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:50 am

Yes, THE Jim Clark...with a picture of his helmet on the label...and a tiny one of the Lotus 25...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:09 pm

Like with the majority I do like the 17 year old. Although I have to say the Cask Strength is a favourite as well.

:)
les taylor

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:59 pm

I voted for the 17, but only because I have not had the 21yo. I suspect the best Bowmore's are the older vintages. I have had all the other ones on the poll with the result that Bowmore is my least favorite of all the Islay distilleries.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Yes, THE Jim Clark...with a picture of his helmet on the label...and a tiny one of the Lotus 25...

Oh yes, he's my favourite driver of all times ( and Fangio) . Jim's style and Colin Chapman brains was a marriage made in heaven. A good story about Chapman is the decision he made to make all tables in the Lotus factory in such a way that they could not support a cuppa - it would slide off. You were apparently not supposed to drink tea - only work 8)
Mr Fjeld

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:32 pm

Trouble is, the same minimalistic style went into his racing cars. They broke, and people died, tho' in Jim's case they reckon it was a deflating tyre. I was devastated, especially since the first race i ever saw was the one where Moss had his career ending crash.

I have a photo of the "Jim Clark Malt". How the hell do I post it?? Haven't figured it out yet!

I met Jim as a wee boy. I waas walking through the paddock and I saw him looking at a book. I was curious, so he lowered the book so that I could have a look...at a picture of himself with two wheels on the grass!

I'm doing a book of all my racing memoirs and pictures, but I have yet to find a publisher. Got some great pics of jim in Lotus 25, and Cortina. The book has a forward by Stirling Moss(There you are! Now you know who gave me the whisky!)

I wonder if the whisky is Glenkinchie, as it's the nearest distillery to where he lived...but then again, it doesn't say "single"...just "malt"

Check out http://www.timhain.com...click "author" and you can check out some of my pictures...

Know any Norwegian publishers??
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Lugarteniente » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:27 pm

The Bowmore 21 was incredible stuff. For me beats easy popular malts like:

Talisker 20
Highland Park 25
Macallan 25

:twisted:
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Trouble is, the same minimalistic style went into his racing cars. They broke, and people died, tho' in Jim's case they reckon it was a deflating tyre. I was devastated, especially since the first race i ever saw was the one where Moss had his career ending crash.

Yeah, Lotus and Cooper where innovators with their lightweight cars. It's a fascinating method everyone takes for granted today but back then larger engines and aerodynamics were the means to increased speed (sorry, didn't mean to lecture and you know this already). But it's great to see it's still a winning formula in Caterham Super 7 - my all-time pinup dream.
It must have been very special to be at the tracks back then.
I met Jim as a wee boy. I waas walking through the paddock and I saw him looking at a book. I was curious, so he lowered the book so that I could have a look...at a picture of himself with two wheels on the grass!
You met Jim Clark :shock: Wow, that's cool!
I'm doing a book of all my racing memoirs and pictures, but I have yet to find a publisher. Got some great pics of jim in Lotus 25, and Cortina. The book has a forward by Stirling Moss(There you are! Now you know who gave me the whisky!)

Both the book and the whisky (well, before you enjoyd it all) is already a collectible memorablia. There are lots of auctions selling stuff like that and quite a few reports on such in Classic Car etc.
The book sounds like a great idea!
Check out http://www.timhain.com...click "author" and you can check out some of my pictures...

I'll check out your pictures when I get home. Looking forward to it!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Mr. F...I forgot. There's a pic of Jim on the site + story i told you!

pour yourself your favourite bowmore before you start!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:00 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Mr. F...I forgot. There's a pic of Jim on the site + story i told you!

pour yourself your favourite bowmore before you start!

:D A perfect opportunity to open my favourite Bowmore - the 17yo.

Sorry, won't hijack this thread no more.
Mr Fjeld

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder