Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

The one Kildalton malt I don't like is:

Laphroaig
24%
Lagavulin
29%
Ardbeg
47%

Total votes : 17

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:25 pm

Yay! Another Islay poll! One with a slightly different tack, though: In the course of answering another question, it occurred to me that quite a few people here have expressed some distaste for just one of the Kildalton malts, while liking the other two fine. I opined that each of them seemed to be mentioned roughly equally, but I wonder if that's true. Vote only if this circumstance applies to you; of course, all are welcome to comment.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:35 pm

Mr T I knew you were hankering to do this poll. Enjoy your Beer I'm just having a crisp Chablis will get back to the poll later.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:42 pm

Stop the presses! Mr TattieHeid has posted another poll ;)

I can't possibly vote on this one. I like all the Kildalton malts and I have a bottle from each of the three distilleries open at the same time so I can sample whatever I fancy :)

It's going to be interesting to hear some opinions from those who really do dislike or have particularly strong feelings towards one.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:43 pm

Beer? I'm still on the morning coffee--black, the milk's gone bad. I still seem to be on Seattle time. I'm starting to think that travelling east is A Bad Thing. Next year I'm going to Scotland via Singapore.

Results so far:

Votes: 1
Extraneous comment: 3

My kind of poll!
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:52 pm

Someone has to pick up where "Marvin" left off eh?? hehehaha! I like them all silly!!!
Di Blasi

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 pm

We need a "like them all" option so we can see the results of the poll. I do like them all, they all have their unique reasons for being good. It would be hard if I had to even choose the one I least liked, they are all very different and enjoyable to me.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks Mr. T. You have provided a platform for me to officially say "I don't like Lagavulin".

I don't know why, there's just something about it that doesn't suit my palate.

But as you say, two out of three ain't bad!
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:04 pm

I thought of adding a "like them all" option, but that's not the point. And I don't want everyone to vote for the one he likes least; I only want those who definitely dislike one to vote. And I'd like to hear why! The point is that we often assume that if you like one of these, you'll like them all, and while that's true for many of us, it isn't for everyone. I think it would be interesting to know what turns some people off to one of these, when they like the others. It might even be useful info when making recommendations to newbies.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Mr. T. just to add completeness to your poll, I will re-visit Lagavulin 16 in the near future and post my exact tasting notes and impressions as I admit, just to say "I don't like it" probably isn't enough.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:24 pm

I got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 about a year ago and thought it was awful. Bitter tar flavor that lingered too long and destroyed the taste of any other malt I had right after it.

Since that bottle, I've tried Lagavulin a few other times and actually liked it a bit more, perhaps I just had a bad bottle (very bad) :(

So I don't actively dislike Lagavulin anymore - but still can't rate it up with the other two (which are on my favorites list).
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:57 pm

The only bottle from the three distilleries that I am not fond of is the Laphroaig 10. But I really enjoy the 10 C/S and Quarter Cask. I also like the entire range of Ardbeg, and Lagavulin. So I guess I can't vote as I really like all three distilleries.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:59 pm

I like all three :), with Lagavulin being my favourite.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Sounds like a platform to attack Lagavulin to me. Myself, I like all three and I couldn't choose which one I liked most on a purely quality-based assessment. Lagavulin is an interesting case though, given that I've only had one expression. That expression was my first love from Islay and I'd have a difficult time betraying my first love. :wink:

If there were a new expression coming from any of the aforementioned distilleries, I would be equally as thrilled regardless of which one.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:22 pm

OK, here goes ...
I have from time to time detected some unpleasant flavours in Ardbeg 10. A metallic maybe aluminium flavour - also found in Lambert and Butler cigarettes (ex smoker).
While I always find Laga a very classy dram and Laphroaig is the fun SMW. IMO.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:30 pm

Until they are available on prescription I don't like any of them!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:20 am

I love all three, although the Lagavullin slighly less than the others.

I abstain.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:55 am

I don't like Lagavulin when I'm drinking Ardbeg.

I don't like Ardbeg when i'm drinking Laphroaig CS

I don't like Laphroaig when i'm drinking Lagavulin.

I LOVE 'em all...but one at a time please!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:34 am

Five votes so far, and none for "love it or hate it" Laphroaig! Three years ago, that would have been my vote.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 am

Mr T in the cold light of day, Its about minus two here this morning. I can say that I definitely don't dislike any of these three. No Reason I just like them all for different reasons.

les taylor

Postby bamber » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:08 am

Not sure if I answered it right, but I voted Laphroaig. Ardbeg and Lagavulin are definitely in my top 5 Scottish distilleries, but Laphroaig is very middle of the road to me. I still drink it from time to time, though.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:46 am

I'm coming at it from a value perspective as that's how I rate my malts.

I voted Lagavulin - simply as it's too expensive compared to the others standard expressions.

Best value around just now must be Laproaig QC and CS (both less than £25 in Tesco) and Ardbeg 10 can be had for around the same - Lagavulin at £10 more simply aint worth it, so in a nutshell I dislike the price!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:17 am

I voted for Lagavulin. Laphroaig used to send me nice presents and still has a good Friends society. The Ardbeg Committee gives me occasional access to interesting bottles and freebies. The Friends of the Classic Malts, on the other hand, promises free entry to all the Classic Malt distilleries but actually delivers nothing (except some odd tasting notes).
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:13 pm

MR TH DOES POLLS! MR TH IS MARVIN!!
- I knew it I knew it I knew it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I drink more Ardbeg than Laphroaig and more Laphroaig than Lagavulin.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:17 pm

Crieftain wrote:-

MR TH DOES POLLS! MR TH IS MARVIN!!
- I knew it I knew it I knew it

Nice one Crieftain. Is possible one of us could also have an alias on the forums?

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:51 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I don't want everyone to vote for the one he likes least; I only want those who definitely dislike one to vote.

And to paraphrase Leonard Nimoy, I am not Marvin.
Deactivated Member

Postby Rocketmann » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Can't vote - Love them all

:D
Rocketmann

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:39 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:

Never knew Leonard Nimoy had an identity issue with Marvin as well :lol:

Anyway Ardbeg is one Islay dram htat I have not got my head around. I have stated though that I have only tried 10yo and younger versions.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lbacha » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:16 pm

I still think there needs to ba a no comment option, I like to see what the poll shows and you can't see it unless you vote. This may be why people are changing the question to least liked because they don't have any other option but would like to vote.

Just my opinion, I think it is a great question, I would just like to see what the answers are aven though I don't dislike any of them enough to vote myself.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:49 pm

There is a no comment option. Don't comment! No, scratch that, comment is great, just don't vote if the premise doesn't apply. I didn't vote myself, as I like all three. I simply want to know if there is one, and only one, of these that rubs you the wrong way. If you want to ask a different question, feel free!

I'm starting to hate my own poll...why do people feel compelled to answer a question that wasn't asked? :?
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:21 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I'm starting to hate my own poll...why do people feel compelled to answer a question that wasn't asked? :?

Ardbeg is my favourite :D
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby BubbaC » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:35 pm

I dislike Laphroaig 10. Hands down the worst whisky I've ever drank... scratch that, 2nd worst. Old Crow gets the top nod on that. When I first nosed it, I thought I had put my face in a tire fire. A thoroughly disappointing bottle. I think I drank it within a week just to be rid of it. Can't really remember the week though.
BubbaC

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:46 pm

bamber wrote:Ardbeg is my favourite :D

You'll see your poll when it comes by...

...every three days or so...
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:51 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:I don't want everyone to vote for the one he likes least; I only want those who definitely dislike one to vote.

Come on! Who else could it be?? Could you just please come out of the closet Marvin?????? I mean Mr T!??
Di Blasi

Postby bamber » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:17 pm

deleted - bad joke
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:05 am

Mr. T.
Interesting poll. A bit like asking one..which of your children do you like best. :lol:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder