Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What should I open next?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which bottle should I open next?

Clynelish 14 year old
31%
Glenmorangie Artisan Cask
28%
Glenlivet 21 year old Smiths
17%
Glenfiddich 18 year old Ancient Reserve
10%
Allt a Bhainne 1991 14 year old G&M
14%

Total votes : 29

What should I open next?

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:35 pm

Just something different for a poll :)

I haven't tried any of these before and I seem to have six Islays open, three Islands and four others. I just fancy something new. Maybe I'll dig into my box of miniatures while the poll runs :)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:44 pm

the glenmorangie artisan. if your not to struck on it there is only 500ml in the bottle so youll be able to ge trid of it quicker if you dont like it... :wink:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:54 pm

Excellent answer vitara :P

I think I will probably like the Glenmorangie. It's one of my favourite distilleries and I know it's one of your least favourite :D
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:01 am

i dont dislike glenmorangie, from a collection point of veiw its been rather good for me, got a few cheap bottles are few years back that are now worth a lot lot more than were paid, i just dislike the folk that work at the distillery, thats all.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:32 am

Given what you already have open, I'l vote for the Glenfiddich 18, for balance. And I'll be interested to hear what you think of it--it's a real room divider. Half the people here think it's a really fine dram, if my impression is correct, and half think it's dishwater. My impression of the bottle I had was that it was very pleasant, but not very distinctive; but that was a long time ago, and a taste I've had since led me to think it warranted another go. I happen to have another bottle up on the back shelf, and will have to get at it myself sometime soon.

On the other hand, if I had that Allt-a-Bhainne on my shelf, I'd want to open it, just out of curiosity. And if that Smith's Glenlivet were a cask strength, there would be no contest.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:57 am

The Glenfiddich was an impulse purchase. I don't think I've tasted Glenfiddich for 20 years or more. I've made a conscious decision not to be a malt snob and to try the stuff again!

I put the Allt-a-Bhainne on the list because of the recent "interesting" threads on the place :) and yes, I want to try it out of curiosity. My main concern is that I could get bored with it after a dram or two...

Unfortunately the Glenlivet is a typical 40% offering. All the great cask strength stuff gets shipped right to the USA. Can't get a bottle of Nadurra over here :(
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 am

I voted for the Glenfiddich, it's very, very good. And besides you're going to open all the other in due course in any case, right?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:28 am

OK, here's a different view. I'd leave the Glenfiddich for a time when you try a soft easy-going dram like Speyburn and the light goes on :idea: . At that time, you have a point of referance from something that you like. My concern is that you'll try the 'fiddich and say "that doesn't compute". At least that's how it worked for me.

On that basis, unless you want to try something different (bored of same ol', same ol') I'd go for Clynelish. Different enough to raise eyebrows, but it has enough flavour to not get lost among the Islays...

Just my $0.02...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:16 am

I also voted Clynelish, a favourite of mine and just finished the last 2 drams from a bottle last night. I think the commentary from the LFW site sums it up nicely:

A dive through the river Spey to find the island of Islay underneath.

The boss's fave (if there is one), fruity with a peaty undercurrent. Ace.

[Blind tasting note from RJ during the SFWC:

SCORE: 4/5

Intense and engaging nose - pungent, phenolic . Strong liquorice flavours, Pontefract cakes and peat emerging, Very pleasant.]

Also, I get Mustard (Colemans English) from Clynelish so if your forum name is anything to go by you should be right home here :)
Leither
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:37 am

I don't care if you ain't gonna share :evil:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:24 am

I'd go for the Clynelish, too, if the question was something like "If you had your choice of one of these...." But my answer was predicated on what you already have open.

You'll get around to all of them eventually, won't you?
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:37 am

I voted for the Allt a Bhainne. If you have been drinking SMS for a while now it's time to break out of the mainstream and taste some of the "lesser known" whiskies. Besides, I have yet to try an Allt a Bhainne and I want tasting notes! :wink: :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:13 pm

I'm for Allt a Bhainne too.
And looking forward to reading some fascinating tasting notes!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:39 pm

I vote for the Clynelish 14 for a couple of reasons. One, other than the Glenfiddich 18, it is the only one I have had on your list so I feel more comfortable in recommending it. And the second reason is that I am a big Islay fan and I found the Clynelish to be a solid alternative to them. There is nothing wrong with the Glenfiddich 18, I just think the Clynelish 14 is the better of the two.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:27 pm

I forgot about the poll :shock:

In the end I opened the Glenfiddich, my determination not to be a snob :) The last time I opened a bottle of Glenfiddich it was the NAS stuff and had a plastic screw top!

This 18 year old was very nice indeed, reminded me of wine gums and a good dessert wine. No comprehensive notes, maybe I'll make the effort a bit further into the bottle.

Yes I am going to open all the others in time, I was interested to know what other people's views were .... and the Clynelish and Allt-a-Bhainne keep calling to me for different reasons.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:37 am

I voted for Glenfiddich!

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:02 am

I voted for the Glenfiddich 18yo. Solid speysider. Bedside companion.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:18 pm

I would have voted anyting BUT the Clynelish 14. I have liked or loved every other (about 8) expression of Clynelish I have had, but the 14 is a dissaster to me (IMHO). While I am not one who claims to be good at finding the impact of coloring, this one seems to be dulled by caraml or some other botteling hall interference. It takes both hot and dull, which to me is a very deadly combo....A shadow of what this wonderfully complex malt can and should be.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:23 am

peergynt323 wrote:I voted for the Glenfiddich 18yo. Solid speysider. Bedside companion.

That is already my verdict. I sampled my first dram while reading in bed :)

I think that is going to be a bedside malt, the perfect accompaniment to a book and the last half hour of the day.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:27 am

Drrich1965 wrote:I would have voted anyting BUT the Clynelish 14. <snip> dissaster<snip> dulled by caraml <snip>....A shadow of what this wonderfully complex malt can and should be.

I have a Clynelish 14 and a Clynelish Distillers Edition on hand but I can't recall ever drinking Clynelish so I thought I ought to start with the 14 and see what develops. Now I have heard a lot about it, mustard, horseradish, caramel and even hot and dull :shock: I'll definitely taste it with some of these comments in mind, sometimes a whisky defies all the nay sayers and sometimes I am mystified by all the praise one might have received....
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:29 am

I just voted on my own poll :)

The Glenlivet was looking lonely with one vote so I offered it some sympathy :) ... the 15 year old Smiths is a fine malt and I have hopes for the 21 year old.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 am

Mustardhead wrote:I think that is going to be a bedside malt, the perfect accompaniment to a book and the last half hour of the day.

And breakfast? :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:00 am

TheLaddie wrote:
Mustardhead wrote:I think that is going to be a bedside malt, the perfect accompaniment to a book and the last half hour of the day.

And breakfast? :wink:

A pint of sherry, three kippers, two deep-fried mars bars and a slice of toast and marmalade, as always.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:34 am

I just thought I'd revisit this odd poll ;)

Clynelish 14 year old [ 8 ]
Glenmorangie Artisan Cask [ 4 ]
Glenlivet 21 year old Smiths [ 4 ]
Glenfiddich 18 year old Ancient Reserve [ 3 ]
Allt a Bhainne 1991 14 year old G&M [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Since I started the thread, the Glenfiddich has taken a hammering, the Allt-a-Bhaiine has disappeared (some has gone in samples) and the Artisan Cask has been sampled. I'm thinking of pulling the cork on the Glenlivet in half an hour just to compare it with the OB 12 year old. Only the much voted for Clynelish has been ignored.

That's the last time I ask the forum to vote on anything!

Until next time ;)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:30 am

And that's the last time we'll give you our opinion! (For another five seconds.)
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder