Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your spouse/significant other's attitude towards whiskey

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How does your spouse/lover feel about your whiskey habit?

He/she enjoys a dram with me.
28%
He/she accepts, but does not share, my enthusiasm.
68%
He/she would rather I left the stuff alone.
4%

Total votes : 145

Your spouse/significant other's attitude towards whiskey

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:32 am

With Valentine's Day approaching, I thought I'd find out to what extent our love of the dram is problematic (if at all) for those nearest and dearest to us. I'd put my wife in the middle category, though she may be doing a very good job to hide her distaste for my latest passion. Are there some happy whiskey drinking couples out there?
Jon Barleycorn

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 am

My wife intermitantly enjoys a dram, but in truth works to like it for me. She thinks is "cute" but that might be cuase I am a one dram a nigt kind of guy.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:14 am

I'm one of the lucky ones....... :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:21 am

Lawrence wrote:I'm one of the lucky ones....... :D

No argument there.
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:41 am

I am also a lucky one. My gf enjoys Rosebank, Macallan, Linkwood, Cragganmore, Clynelish, Brora and some other nice drams with me. She is very talented at picking up notes that my prejudices might not allow me to pick out.

The majority of the time though, it will be whisky for me and wine for her.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:06 am

When we first met she couldn't understand my liking of whisky.
After a typical teenage evening when she had over-indulged rather too heavily, she hadn't touched whisky in something like 20 years, always saying she "hates the taste of whisky".

As my belief is that "there is a whisky for everyone and if you say you don't like whisky, then you just haven't found 'yours' yet", I was determined to help her find 'hers'.

I know she loves Scotland and Ireland, the heather, moss, sea ... etc. so one evening in an Irish bar I bought her a laphroaig.

Bingo!

She loves it and has now extended her taste to include other peaty drams from both Scotland and Ireland.

Therefore option 1 for me as she's happy to join me in a (peaty) dram.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:25 am

Hmmms... My girlfriend, oh my ex girlfriend, kind of left me a while ago. It was two weeks after I came home from a tour to Scotland, so perhaps she thought I spent to much time/money on whisky. (Well, I don't think 20 hours a day is to much... Do you?) :roll:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:36 am

Bullie wrote:Hmmms... My girlfriend, oh my ex girlfriend, kind of left me a while ago. It was two weeks after I came home from a tour to Scotland, so perhaps she thought I spent to much time/money on whisky. (Well, I don't think 20 hours a day is to much... Do you?) :roll:

Of course not, you have to sleep sometime.
:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:38 am

Definitely option 1. Mrs Les enjoys a wee dram with me. As my collection grew it started to take over the dining room and she had a problem with that. She would be embarrassed when we had visitors with the amount of bottles. Since I moved it to my office about 5 years ago its no problem. She has her shoes and her membership of the Royal Horticultural Society. I go to the occassional gardens with her. I have My whisky interest which she shares but not to the same extent. Its all happy here.

:D
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:11 am

When I married my spouse, she didn’t drink wine, beer or anything else alcoholic. Then she’s begun to drink wine, and now sometimes she drinks a little of single malt with me, but she doesn’t bear peated whiskies.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:33 am

I guess I'm pretty lucky in that my wife has always enjoyed whisky and even shares my (slightly) obsessive desire to visit distilleries. We had our honeymoon on Islay in 1995 and have been back many times since. This year we are visiting speyside again for the festival (although we are camping for the benefit of our four year old!). She even supports my out-of-control whisky buying (although to be fair she drinks her share!)
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:35 am

"it will be whisky for me and wine for her."

....and probably too much of both!

She protests, rolls her eyes when "tasting" conversations ensue, rubbishes us as "sad" and "whisky bores", thinks that "Ardbeg" being an anagram for "badger" insults the badger she feeds nightly...

...but then she buys me Lagavulin for my birthday, Ardbeg "Beast" for Christmas, and 3 years go took me to Scotland for a delicious Macallan Tasting weekend! (she drank wine!)

So it's a case of "Vive le difference", I think...

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:14 pm

Hey, I also got the "beast" from my fiancee. She also gave me the Lagavulin DE 1990 to celebrate her raise.

She's enthusiastic about my enthusiasm so to say, but doesn't like whisky or the talk of it. She buys shoes every time I buy whisky and I'm afraid she's going to end up like Imelda Marcos. She drinks very little alcohol but enjoy a glass of chablis or champagne every now and then.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:She protests, rolls her eyes when "tasting" conversations ensue, rubbishes us as "sad" and "whisky bores", thinks that "Ardbeg" being an anagram for "badger" insults the badger she feeds nightly...

"Badger? Badger!?! We don't need no stinkin' badger!"
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:37 pm

How about Badger Lord of the badger's.

:)
les taylor

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:40 am

Option 2. She doesn't like whisky at all but will happily drink her own preferred spirit while I dram. She doesn't bother me about going out for tastings and buys me some nice stuff as gifts with the helpful advice of Ron down at the shop.

I think it works :D
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:43 am

my other half stresses out about the amount of space i take up in the house with all my bottle (think its about 480-490)
she does however enjoy the jollies over the islay, speyside etc etc....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:15 am

Mr F."She also gave me the Lagavulin DE 1990"

Yes I got that too from me muvvah! Gorgeous!

Valentine's day suggestion:what if you were to drink your favourite whisky from your fiancee's favourite shoe?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:17 am

Hey! Just realised! We got this wrong! This is strictkly a non-scotch topic! They left the 'e' in whiskey!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Hey! Just realised! We got this wrong! This is strictkly a non-scotch topic! They left the 'e' in whiskey!

The missus didn't notice. Her attitude remains the same. :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Hey! Just realised! We got this wrong! This is strictkly a non-scotch topic! They left the 'e' in whiskey!

Damn those colonials! :shock:
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:35 am

Mustardhead wrote:

Damn those colonials! :shock:

The only colonials you still have spell it without the e.

(Subtle jab at Canuckistan. 8) )
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:48 pm

My wife likes an occassional Speysider. And she likes Talisker and Laphroaig.

My wife bought me a Highland Park 18 for Christmas :)
lexvo
Silver Member

Whisky spouse

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:18 am

My wife will sit and enjoy a glass of wine while I have a dram, (excepting the smokey ones- she dislikes smoke). She also will buy a special bottling for me when she goes away (ie: Port Ellen, Royal Lochanger) with one proviso, I have to open and enjoy it, no squirreling it away.
Muskrat

PS: By the by Mr. T. ... we're no longer "their colonials", they kicked us out of the club in the 60's. We still insist on spelling "whisky" properly, though.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:42 am

My wife shares the love of whisky with me. She rarely misses a tasting evening. (I get the Islays though as she is not fond of them.) She isn't as gung-ho for the details as I am. Her favourite is Glen Turrett. She's been hoarding a 12 yr old for 3 years now.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Re: Whisky spouse

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:36 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:PS: By the by Mr. T. ... we're no longer "their colonials....

Oh aye. And who's your head of state, pictured all over your money?

Without wishing her ill, I await the day when Laphroaig's most famous fan graces the loonie and toonie.
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:09 am

Yess! Indeed, without wishing her ill, I too am a fan of bonnie Prince Charlie. Wish he were king and kings were still kings instead o' we in this world having to suffer the consequences of corporate politricks while " the king" is frowned upon everytime he makes some remark reminding people of such crazy, politically incorrect issues as human rights or the environment...or pouring laphroaig on your kid's breakfast cereal(only joking)

A good man IMHO. Despite his perceived eccentricities, I figure he has more
interity in his little finger than Blair and Bush combined.

Anyway, what's this got to do with the thread, and does Camilla share his taste in whisky I wonder?

PS Raise a glass for the Dixie Chicks winning the Grammies! They've won the war!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:37 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Anyway, what's this got to do with the thread, and does Camilla share his taste in whisky I wonder?

I wish the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall all the best but this is too good an opportunity for a barley/nosebag joke to resist...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:23 am

I always thought Prince Chuck got a bit of a bum rap. But my real interest in seeing his portrait on Canadian money is tweaking my friends in Quebec. But perhaps the next change will prompt Canada to dispense with the monarch's portrait. I'm sure that a $20 bill with Pierre Trudeau's portrait will be more pleasing to the Québecois. :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby Quaichuser » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:49 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I always thought Prince Chuck got a bit of a bum rap. But my real interest in seeing his portrait on Canadian money is tweaking my friends in Quebec. But perhaps the next change will prompt Canada to dispense with the monarch's portrait. I'm sure that a $20 bill with Pierre Trudeau's portrait will be more pleasing to the Québecois. :roll:

Haven't you heard Mr T. We're phasing out the royal portraits up here. We're making our Canadian Tire money legal tender. I'll be rich soon. :lol:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 am

Cool! I think I have 37 1/2 cents worth. Who's the guy with the tam and mustache, anyway?
Deactivated Member

Postby Quaichuser » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:24 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Cool! I think I have 37 1/2 cents worth. Who's the guy with the tam and mustache, anyway?

Don't know for sure but it could be Sandy McTyre.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Dan G » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:18 pm

My wife accepts my enthusiasm as long as I'm not too enthusiastic!
She gets bored quickly in liquor stores when I'm pondering what to buy; prefers I not drink something pungent like Ardbeg in our rather small basement television room, and points out when she thinks I've been drinking too much (such as if I have 4 large (3-4 oz) drinks in one night, just sitting around reading, or if I seem to be drinking every night for more than a week...). I don't see that as a negative thing - I usually try to limit my consumption, and she doesn't do it in a nagging way.
Dan G

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:42 pm

Now that we're back on topic - I usually have my dram(s) after my wife goes upstairs to bed, not so much to keep her from monitoring my consumption, but because I treasure my time alone at the end of the day with my book and glass in hand. Of course, if I had 4 large drinks she would know about it as soon as I crashed into something on my way to bed! :o
Jon Barleycorn

Postby Cam » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:31 pm

When I initially joined the local SM society is was with the thought that should my wife join me at a monthly dinner her accompanied whisky's would come my way.

Doesn't happen! She will enjoy them and comment on her preferences.

My wife will not usually join me in a single malt at home prefering a white wine or rum & Coke.

Cam
Cam

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder