Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your spouse/significant other's attitude towards whiskey

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How does your spouse/lover feel about your whiskey habit?

He/she enjoys a dram with me.
28%
He/she accepts, but does not share, my enthusiasm.
68%
He/she would rather I left the stuff alone.
4%

Total votes : 145

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:04 pm

My missus thinks I'm nuts when it comes to whiskey but has accepted the fact that it's my passion. And she cannot get over the whiff of smokey peat when I sip a big Islay. I know she thinks I spend too much on the stuff but I know that myself :lol:

All in all eventhough she does not get it she leaves me to my whisk(e)y and I leave her watch :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Bless her

Postby si_peacock » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:04 pm

Wife doesn't enjoy whisky but she does accept i'm passionate about it... and she bought me a bottle of Laphroaig 40YO as an engagement present.
It's gone up a bit since then mind you - she couldn't afford it now. She got in on the ground floor... £385!

Bless her!
si_peacock

Postby kljostad » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 pm

My girlfriend likes whisky, and she is fairly open minded about trying new expressions. However, she usually limits herself to tasting my glass. She prefers a glass of good red wine (barolo or amarone) or a glass of port.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Jonah » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Wow Si you did do well at that price!!!

I have to say I have a bottle of the Laphroaig 40YO, but the price was not quite as amicable. Mind you I am quite willing to spend huge amounts for the good old tipple. Drives my other half crazy :twisted:

Just moved to London recently, can anyone recommend any good bars to visit?

Thoroughly understand what some of you mean, nothing better than reading a J D Salinger or particularly Hemmingway with a whisky in the other hand.

Jonah
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:28 pm

oops........Hemingway! :roll:
Jonah

Postby les taylor » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:12 pm

Just got in this evening I said to Mrs Les do you fancy a drink She said "yes a sherried malt would be nice". I thought Bingo!!

My daughter and I went for a glass of French Red. I will have a scotch later.

:)
les taylor

Postby chaschas » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:15 am

I have been pleasantly surprised by my wife's enthusiasm for my new found love of single malts. I discovered she knew a lot more about it that I ever had. There are other things I am in to that she is not so keen on - football, for one - so it is really nice to be able to share this.
chaschas

Postby kljostad » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:00 pm

I am planning a whisky tasting tomorrow, and had one seat available. I asked my girlfriend if she had any suggestions on who I could invite, that was interested in whisky. To my suprise, she suggested herself.

Problem solved!
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby MrAwesome » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:15 pm

A very lucky man am I. A few years ago, my wife (claiming to be a Bourbon drinker) thought Jack Daniels was bourbon. After much discussion, she attended Whisky Live! in New York with me. Well, at the time, there were more Bourbons to sample than this past event. Well you guessed it, she's as big an enthusiast as I am. She attends tastings with me and enjoys a new surprise bourbon when I go shopping. The ONE THING she doesn't mention is "how much did you spend now?" Ah yes, Variety is the spice of life!
MrAwesome

Postby martin grant » Wed May 02, 2007 3:12 pm

Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) my good wife doesn't share my passion for whisky. If I'm to pour myself a dram at night, she'll happily have one of her rums or even a cognac, but can't be tempted by a malt. We did both agree after a few heavy nights in our younger days that we would both invest in more quality wines and spirits. These days I don't ask how much she spends on her wine and cognacs, and she doesn't ask how much I spend on my whisky. However compared to 5-6 years ago we're both drinking a lot better, and a good bit less
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby victor tango whisky » Sun May 06, 2007 5:56 pm

My wife shares my enthusiasm; my only complaint is that she likes the expensive stuff even more than I do! :) :lol:
victor tango whisky

Postby l'chaim » Mon May 07, 2007 10:49 pm

My wife doesn’t care for scotch, but she likes good wine. So I don’t complain about her wine consumption or expense, and she doesn’t complain about the scotch. And we both have a fine time browsing various liquor stores. I don’t like her wine, and she doesn’t touch my malts. A match made in heaven, really
l'chaim

Postby Les Paul » Tue May 08, 2007 2:27 am

The girl I used to see loves scotch. We would sit down together and listen to Miles Davis together and have a dram together. She really enjoyed Oban 14.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Tue May 08, 2007 7:27 pm

Dirt! She says it smells like dirt! :shock: What's wrong with her?

However, I have to give her snaps. She has purchased the following bottles for me.

Bowmore 22 Moonlight
Bowmore 25 Moonlight
Springbank 36 Duncan Taylor

8)

Dixie Chicks/Grammys. I seem to recall Jethro Tull winning for Best Heavy Metal Album. The Grammys have less integrity than W or Blair. BTW, the Chicks got shut out of the CMAs.

I think I need a dram now. :insane:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bond » Wed May 16, 2007 9:06 am

My wife typically drinks dark rum with water. Has developed a taste for whisky recently but only blends.

Is more than a fair sport when it comes to supporting my enthusiasm. Did not grumble at all when she had to accompany me on a long tube ride just so that I could get to the Whisky Exchange. Did not complain at all that for the first time in her lifetime I actually took more than an hour to "shop". :P
bond
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed May 16, 2007 1:15 pm

"Surgical spirit! Toilet cleaner!"

I've heard all the insults about her most hated bevvie...

...but she still calls me, unprompted, from the supermarket:

"they've got Talisker and Balvenie on offer today. What do you fancy?"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed May 16, 2007 1:40 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:"Surgical spirit! Toilet cleaner!"

I've heard all the insults about her most hated bevvie...

...but she still calls me, unprompted, from the supermarket:

"they've got Talisker and Balvenie on offer today. What do you fancy?"

RB you lucky man. Mrs Les thinks I buy too much so I can slip one in the trolley.

:o
les taylor

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:36 am

Although she has accompanied me to various tastings and has enjoyed the Dalwhinnie DE edition and even the Laphraoig Quarter Cask, she is more into wine than whisky. She thinks it odd that I would want to visit a liquor store at 11:00am in the morning for some tastings before I buy.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Tue May 22, 2007 10:29 am

Ardbeg311 wrote: She thinks it odd that I would want to visit a liquor store at 11:00am in the morning for some tastings before I buy.

I have been told before that 11am is about the best time of day to sample whisky. At this time your mouth is still quite fresh, not having been swamped with lots of coffee or a big lunch. Also at this time, your breakfast is beginning to wear off. As it does, and you start to feel hunger set in, your blood - sugar levels dip. As these dip, your sense of taste is heightened.

Anyone else heard this before?
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:41 am

My wife actually got me into single malts. It's one of the few interests we both share! Her favourite drams are Talisker 10/18, Bruichladdich 15 and Laphroaig 10.
Dangerous_Dave

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:22 pm

My wife is the wine drinker in the family. She occasionally will drink a dram of the single malt for variety. I enjoy wine too during dinner but after eating its sm for me.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:31 pm

The OH doesn't share my "anorak-like" obsession with whisky. But she does enjoy a regular dram. Quite often, she'll choose an Irish. Currently, I'm pouring her Glenlivet.
Deactivated Member

Postby Adam H » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:26 pm

My wife is almost as anorakish as me... :D
We have toured a number of distilleries together (31 at the last count) and she buys as much whisky as I do. Her favourite is Jura, although she once did part with nearly £100 for a 21yr old Edradour...
Adam H

Postby SoMK » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:16 pm

My husband is exactly as anorakish as me as well, although here, he should qualify as Kanuck *anorak brand here. :D *
He's the Glenfarclas Uber-lover but he's mostly an Armagnac afficionado... which doesn't help our finances, O no my precioussssss
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:47 pm

I think indifference would be the word. Unless she want something to kill a sore throat. Which is the reason I keep a close eye on the collection.

That said, what is fun is to get her to pour something at random and to try to guess what it is. When there were only 10-15 open I always got it right. It's now at about 30 - 35 open and it's getting tougher.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby soledoc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:10 pm

I would say almost 1/2 of my bottles I received from my wife. I even have a stand for the 6 classic malts. She now enjoys sctoch as much as me. She also will drink the occasional gin & tonic...not me though. I stick to my scotch and red bordeaux and bourbon once a year for the Kentucky Derby.
soledoc

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:14 pm

Aside from hating the smell of the stuff and making it known that she would rather die than to take a small taste, you mean?? :D

Lucky for me she's very understanding and supportive. :thumbsup:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby wandering pict » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Interestingly my wife hates the taste but loves hot toddies when she has a cold :D mmmmm............
Everything else about the industry she enjoys such as the tours, the locations of distilleries and the people who work in what is a really friendly industry.
wandering pict

Re: Your spouse/significant other's attitude towards whiskey

Postby MacAttack80 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:11 am

My wife likes the fact and supports my "hobby". She isn't a huge fan of whisk(e)y. She may have some with some ginger ale. :shock: I know...I said it. :shock: Don't worry. She can mix some of the less expensive ones.
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 am

my sweetheart does not have a taste for spirits, she hardly drinks at all though she is willing to try anything i offer....
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Re:

Postby Knolly » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:07 am

peergynt323 wrote:I am also a lucky one. My gf enjoys Rosebank, Macallan, Linkwood, Cragganmore, Clynelish, Brora and some other nice drams with me. She is very talented at picking up notes that my prejudices might not allow me to pick out.

The majority of the time though, it will be whisky for me and wine for her.

Exactly my situation as well, though she does really enjoy bourbon on occasion and even helped me out with a 72.4% ABV Stagg last year! She loves the smells of whisky, but still has to come to terms with some of the tastes and the alcohol.

However, she is working on her semolier diploma in her "spare" time which is pretty cool :)
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm

She hates the stuff, but enjoys choosing one for me, and takes particular delight when I get it wrong!

Though when Lewis Hamilton won the F1 title it was easy to recognise the large helping of a red, rich, sherried substance from Speyside, available at waitrose for a snip!! Didn't even need to taste it!

Batch 20, too. Mmmmm!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:42 pm

She drinks a dram sometimes. Like last night I opened a bottle of Glenlivet 10 yrs which I got out of town. It was a nice box with two glasses. I normally dont buy Glenlivet but this was a good bargain. She asked for a dram with plenty of ice (lol). Then, she switch to her favorite which is wine.

My wife prefers martini with either gin or vodka. Another favorite is margarita. She has an array of different drinks which I normally dont touch. And plenty of wine bottles too.

When she travels abroad, she brings me whisky she bought at the duty free stores. Last time I got a Nikki from Japan.
Last edited by LeoDLion on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:01 pm

My wife does not drink whisky, but she'll often buy me bottles on special occasions. She has gotten to the point where she enjoys nosing, but still does not like the taste at all. She tells me that they either smell like a campfire, or wood..haha.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Mrs Lagadrinker had a go at a few, says they all taste the same :twisted:

She does however support my buying (within tightly controlled limits) and takes an interest when I get a new bottle.

Thats all I could ask for really. She has also expressed interest in a trip to Islay at some point. :thumbsup:
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder