Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your spouse/significant other's attitude towards whiskey

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How does your spouse/lover feel about your whiskey habit?

He/she enjoys a dram with me.
28%
He/she accepts, but does not share, my enthusiasm.
68%
He/she would rather I left the stuff alone.
4%

Total votes : 145

Re: Your spouse/significant other's attitude towards whiskey

Postby jmrl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Put it his way I'm drinking Johnnie Walker and she's got the Ardbeg single cask.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:32 pm

My wife humors me with my modest (about 40-45 bottle) collection, but she should, seeing as how she's got around 400 bottles of wine cellaring downstairs. . . :o

I gots me some catchin' up to do!!
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Klas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:40 pm

My wife is really supportive of my whisky interest/hobby. She has even followed me to Scotland on a few occasions, including a trip to Islay a few years ago. (even if we had to put in plans for other activities within the trip apart from the distillery visits).

Mrs Klas favourites are Highland Park (18) and Dalwhinnie (15)

The only problem is the space the bottles take at home. I have now started to store things within in my wardrobe as well, which makes the space for cloth smaller and smaller....

:D
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:40 pm

I voted the first option even though Mel only occasionally partakes , usually at Society Tastings , Feis Ile Events or extremely expensive or rare Drams !
She loves Islay as much as me and would happily move into the Old Kiln , not sure how Jackie and Mickey would take to a squatter though.....

I keep getting told off the likes of Serge how lucky i am to have such an understanding and wonderful wife when it comes to Whisky , he sure is right about that !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:29 pm

I voted for He/she accepts, but does not share, my enthusiasm.
Mrs. Chef isn't too thrilled about my whisky habit but it allowes her to spend a similar amount on her interests.
She'll occasionally have a Glenmorangie 15yo but won't touch the peaty stuff - or even smell it.
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby bobbyb » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Mrs B hates the smells from distilleries never mind
the 'golden stuff'.Only ever been in one, Tamdhu and even then she left early,and it was during their silent season!
But she loves driving,visiting castles and me,and probably in that order as well!!!!! :lol:
bobbyb

Postby I_SPEY » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:05 pm

When I met my wife, a (very)long time ago, she drunk whisky and smoked sigars!
Now she only likes sherry and anisette.
But she likes my whiskypassion. Just 12 days ago, on my birthday, I got 25 bottles of whisky, so... :D
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Klas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 pm

I_SPEY wrote:...she likes my whiskypassion. Just 12 days ago, on my birthday, I got 25 bottles of whisky, so...

Amazing!
:shock: :thumbsup:
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Rob B » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:31 pm

My wife supports my recently found enthusiasm for single malts and may occasionally sniff at my glass, but she has never taken a glass for herself.

She prefers wine, which we buy by the case, and she insists that I pick up a bottle or two of malt at the same time.

Quite a good arrangement really :D
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:52 pm

She always hated the smell of whisky so a dram usually ensured a peaceful nights sleep even if I didnt want one. Not sure that I'd be keen to find a partner with a passion for whisky, selfish indulgence is a real pleasure and the prospect of living with someone who encouraged me to drink more regularly is one that I am quite wary of.
That said any attractive female in Devon with a well stocked cellar and a warm heart would be more than welcome to make me reconsider :D
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby SRWV » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:12 am

She loves the nose but leaves the drinking to me.

Lucky her tomorrow morning :headbang: !
SRWV

Postby whiskywoman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

First post here. :D My husband joins me in my interest. He slams it back while I enjoy it. It's been alot of fun trying new ones and learning about them.

Irene
whiskywoman

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:50 am

Mrs Willie always screws up her face when I ask her to try a dram but she likes the smell of them and puts up with my obsession to a ridiculous extent. She does like to regulate the number of open bottles to a max of 50 and I guess that's not unreasonable. So all in all I can't complain at all.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby whiskywoman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:24 am

Mine is going to have one and I can't till I find out if I have to work tonight. I don't think that's fair he should wait...
whiskywoman

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 pm

I voted for the first option, even though my better half won't actually ask for her own dram. However, she WILL gladly sip off the top of whatever I may have happened to pour. And I value her feedback, especially when it comes to garnering a second opinion on my latest home-blended vatting of single malts.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby bankerjoe » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:57 pm

My girlfriend enjoys smelling the whiskies I try with me, and helps me identify aromas. I have had her try a couple sips, but she usually winced. She has a very strong nose, and a good palate. She helps me out a lot with my craft beer drinking.
bankerjoe

Postby Lucas » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 pm

To my better half they all smell the same:D
Although recently she said something nice about Glenmorangie Original. Must have been drunk;)
Lucas

Postby Plastiquehomme » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:23 am

My wife loves a dram - definitely has a preference for the more honeyish, sherry finished malts (as do I). Balvenie Doublewood is a firm favourite in our house.

She does find it a little harsh at times, and after our last whisky tasting she couldn't handle any whisky for a couple of weeks. So I guess she focuses on enjoying a dram or two, rather than the quantity approach.

Hey, and anyway, single malt is so good, after a few I stop appreciating that, and if I'm going to drink past the point of appreciating what I'm drinking I would rather be drinking something cheap, crap, and potent at that point.
Plastiquehomme

Postby hearts151 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:05 am

Mines the 2nd option i guess. My girlfriend calls me a total geek and sad lol. However she has came to quite a few whisky tastings with me and even a couple of distillery tours. I'm getting there, however sadly the two that she likes/can tollorate are Glengoyne 21yo and a rosebank 20yo we tasted.. not the cheepest! Any suggestions on something similar but cheeper? lol
hearts151

Postby bbrownri » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Yeah, my girlfriend enjoys an occasional glass with me, but for the most part I think she finds my interest in whisky more amusing than anything else. It's good though, because I think she keeps me down to Earth: if I start to geek out too much, she'll tell me to get over my snobby self.
:D

Actually, come to think of it, she's responsible for my interest in whisky...a few years back she got herself a bottle of Oban 14. After taking a glass or two, she left it untouched on top of the fridge for months. Eventually, I tried some and liked it. Before long, the bottle was gone and I was off in search of another dram. That and a couple pleasant experiences with Bowmore 12 (which tipped me off to the wonderful world of Islay malts) set me off on the path of whisky geekery.
bbrownri

Postby lockejn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Oban 14 got me started as well. A fine dram.

My wife just sort of ignores the whisky and my consumption most of the time. Occasionally, in company, she'll make a backhanded remark about every horizontal surface in our dining room being occupied by bottles, but that's the extent of the badgering. She'd probably leave me if she knew how much I have invested, but we have a sort of unspoken "don't ask, don't tell" policy happening.

Very rarely she'll catch a whiff of something I have in a glass and distractedly say what it smells like (fruity, flowers, bacon, etc.). Now and again I can even get her to take a close up whiff, but the alcohol is too much for her nose. Funny, I don't even notice it anymore.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:22 pm

My wife has always been very tolerant towards my 'hobby'. She never shares a dram with me and occasionally takes a sniff at the glass. But I really have to insist. She's got a far better nose than I have. We have an agreement on how many bottles I can buy in a month but she never asks me how much it cost. She knows I won't do anything silly although some of my bottles cost a small fortune. The only problem is that my cabinet is getting too small because she keeps some of her stuff in there as well and I'm not allowed to move it. That leaves me not other option than to finish a bottle once in a while ... so I can replace it with a new one. :)
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Lockejn, we also use the ''Don't ask,don't tell'' Policy.
My wife refers to my walk-in closet as ''Your secret lab''.
Occasionally she will ask'' what kind on concoction are
you brewing up?'' :insane:
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby AshDLS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:07 pm

Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately for my collection?) it seems that whisky is one of the very few types of alcohol my girlfriend won't touch, she's more of a vodka fiend. I made her try some Ardbeg a while ago, she complained about the taste of it, saying she gave up smoking ages ago and didn't want the taste of smoke in her mouth again, heh.
AshDLS

Postby johan brugge » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:13 pm

AshDLS wrote:Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately for my collection?) it seems that whisky is one of the very few types of alcohol my girlfriend won't touch, she's more of a vodka fiend. I made her try some Ardbeg a while ago, she complained about the taste of it, saying she gave up smoking ages ago and didn't want the taste of smoke in her mouth again, heh.

Lucky you. Now you don't have to share the Ardbeg. :D
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:02 pm

Its a no to whisky but happy to let me drink it, she just sits there and goes 'you stink'.

Haven't really pushed it on her to hard...yet!

She drinks Cointreau on ice or some purple, god awful sweet stuff whose name escapes me, so she can keep hers and i'll keep mine for now.

Her mum on the other hand fancies trying a proper malt now she knows i like malts, unfortunately that father no longer drinks for health reasons and thus no whisky is kept about anymore other than Famous Grouse.

On the plus side, my girl has never been to Scotland despite having a name of Cameron and really really wants to go, so luckily i'll be able to say to get the real Scottish experience darling we have to visit some distilleries, and yes the trip wouldn't be the same without a trip on a ferry to an island.

Reckon Oct/Now we'll get up.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:23 am

Lucie loves Springwatch and Coast etc...with a spritzer or two. She loves wildlife. When I told her "Ardbeg" was an anagram of "Badger" she turned up her nose and said:

"An insult to badgers!"

So there you go. but she has bought me a few gems...and actually inadvertantly made me an Ardbeg lover abot 9 years ago whn she bought a bottle to keep for her visiting dad.

Which i discovered...

...and soon emptied! :iwbrnt:
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 pm

My wife is fine with it as long as I buy it with my own money. She has shoes I have whisky and cigars :smoke:
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:29 pm

My significant other is happy to let me indulge myself. She let me drag her around to all the whisky bars I wanted to go to in Tokyo and always gives me her duty free allowance to put towards my whisky purchases. She likes a JD and Coke or BNJ and Dry but thats about it.

She says I'm now old enough to get away with nosing whiskys and writing whisky notes at a bar without looking like a total wanker.

She listens to me prattle on about whisky with a look of interest but of course she's really thinking about going to the mall for more shoes and handbags.

I'm Lucky! :thumbsup:
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:30 pm

dramtastic wrote:She listens to me prattle on about whisky with a look of interest but of course she's really thinking about going to the mall for more shoes and handbags.

I'm Lucky! :thumbsup:

That sounds very familiar. :)
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby daveski » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:47 am

Alas she wont even try a dram, the mere smell of it rouses old cries such as:

'yuck, TCP' etc. Which is a real shame.

But she allows me to have a few drams, and even understands which whiskys i prefer and would occasionally buy me a bottle.

D
daveski

Postby daveski » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:47 am

Alas she wont even try a dram, the mere smell of it rouses old cries such as:

'yuck, TCP' etc. Which is a real shame.

But she allows me to have a few drams, and even understands which whiskys i prefer and would occasionally buy me a bottle.

D
daveski

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder