Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Where are you from?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Where are you from?

Scotland
10%
Ireland
3%
England
14%
United States
29%
Canada
18%
Nigeria
10%
Elsewhere
18%

Total votes : 73

Postby toshie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:46 am

And another from God's chosen spot on earth :D
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:15 pm

Cool stats Matt, nice, interesting, thanks!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:24 pm

Post withdrawn.
Last edited by les taylor on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
les taylor

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:03 am

I don't know where I was born - I was very young at the time.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Rudy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 am

So relatively more Swedes (appr. 9M people) and Norwegians (appr. 5M people) in the forum than Dutchmen (appr. 16M people).
Seems like arctic weather conditions and whisky go well together (or we do not have that much internet available...)

Rudy
Rudy
Bronze Member

Canada! Boost your viewings, we're 3rd!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Rudy:
Actually, more viewings of the forum by Swedes and Norwegians than the Dutch. One person viewing the forums several times a day would boost statistics marginally for that given country. So log in and out often, and do an "OMG does he ever stop" and post 7.33 posts a day, as the mood strikes. :D
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby spiff » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:00 am

On a percapita basis it seems the top countires are those bordering the north pole - Canada, Norway & Sweden. We are either really bored because we have to spend too much time indoors or just trying to keep warm because we are so bloody cold. :)
spiff

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:06 am

Mr Picky sez that Sweden doesn't have a clear shot at the pole. It may surprise some to know that, north of Sweden and Finland, Norway is bordered by Russia.

This does not in any way gainsay spiff's essential point. And we all know that there's no place on earth colder than the intersection of Portage and Main.

(Hey, you're not Spaceman Spiff, are you?)
Deactivated Member

A new forummer

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:20 am

Spiff:
Welcome to the forums. A group of interesting and knowledgeable sorts who truly know their whisky. Nice to have someone from close to my neck of the woods around.

Don't worry too much about Mr. Tattieheid, he's okay. His alter ego, Mr. Picky, is dangerous as he lurks the forums , leaping out and correcting us for any real or imagined errors or omissions. :D

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby spiff » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:48 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Mr Picky sez that Sweden doesn't have a clear shot at the pole. It may surprise some to know that, north of Sweden and Finland, Norway is bordered by Russia.

This does not in any way gainsay spiff's essential point. And we all know that there's no place on earth colder than the intersection of Portage and Main.

(Hey, you're not Spaceman Spiff, are you?)

A thousand apologies Mr. Picky. It was lazy of me not to consult my globe sitting a mere 3 feet from where I am typing this. It would have been more accurate to reference coutries above the Arctic circle and not those bordering the North Pole itself :oops:
And by the way the Spiff is Spaceman Spiff but actually was the name of a favourite cat of mine.
I am looking forward to learning more about whisky from this site, one thing that was a bit of a suprise already was that my favourite distillary - Bowmore rates so low on the favourite Islay whisky poll - something about odd/perfume like odors ?
Also has anyone heard of the TV station Single Malt TV ? You can watch it for free at this site http://freetube.us.tc/ then click on Entertainment category and scroll down to Single Malt TV. I don't know how good it is as I only just recently discovered it and I know it wont work on all computers as well
spiff

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Mr Picky sez no sweat--he just likes to be annoyingly pedantic and to try to embarrass people. Don't pay him any mind.

As for Bowmore, it is my contention that this is the real "love-it-or-hate-it" Islay. As the folks at Alexander Keith's say, those that like it, like it a lot. That's not quite the same fierce loyalty that such as Ardbeg inspire, so it doesn't often turn up on the short list of favorites. But Bowmore is a venerable malt with a pivotal position in Islay's geography and history, and I'm always glad to see it defended, even though I don't much care for the product myself.

ImageImage

Images stolen from this personal website. I'd feel bad about it, but the guy probably stole them from somewhere else, anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:54 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hey, you're not Spaceman Spiff, are you?

Oh alas Watterson! Why did you have to retire these wonderful characters?

I still find myself quoting one of these cartoons on an almost daily basis. What a movie this could have been!
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:24 pm

I live near Oslo, in a place called Nesodden, in the middle of the Oslo fjord. However, my dad was in the army, so I have lived in a variety of places in Norway. Most of my personality was formed in Tromsø, in the northern part of the country, but my dialect is unfortunately a mix of different flavours. At Oslo Whisky Festival, a girl accused me of being a forreigner, becuase of my broken language. To much amusement for my Korean friend standing next to me...
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Looks like myself and Aidan may have viewed on average 75 pages a day over the last 7 days but I'm sure there are more Irish lurking in the back ground somewhere. However as Mr T-H appears to represent about half of what comes from the US we have to therefore deduct that he has viewed about 23,500 pages in the last week :wink: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Rudy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi Muskrat,

you're right, it's the viewings.
I should log in more often.
But as a Dutchie, with now a German ISP, I'll ruin the statistics....

Rudy
Rudy
Bronze Member

Netherlands in Canada

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:25 am

Rudy
My late father thought very highly of the Dutch and would talk about how much they had in common with Canadians. (Regretfully, the first time he was over, there were some pesky fellows in field grey uniforms hanging around.) Subsequently, he returned for the 40th anniversary of the liberation and was again thrilled with the reception they received. I suspect both countries entertain warm feelings for each other to this day.

You are aware that the Netherlands had a plot of land over here in Ottawa? Somewhat larger than a Laphroaig plot ... large enough for a Princess* to be born on.
Muskrat
*Princess Margriet
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Rudy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi Muskrat,
no I didn't know that.
Here in the Netherlands (that huge country as large as your average lake) are even two plots that are Belgian (another huge country). :)
Rudy
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Ted Bell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:08 pm

Born and raised in Alberta, Canada. Utah has been my home for the past 20 years.
Ted Bell

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder