Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

When I say dram I really mean...

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

When I say I'm having a dram I really mean a

dram (1/8 oz), really!
15%
pony (1 oz, 8 drams)
26%
jigger (1.5 oz, 12 drams)
44%
snit (3 oz, 24 drams)
7%
split (6 oz, 48 drams)
3%
pint (16 oz, 128 drams)
4%

Total votes : 68

When I say dram I really mean...

Postby sparky » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:28 am

A dram of whisky is a fairly small portion. Presently I am enjoying a jigger. Is "dram" just a catchy understatement of how much you actually drink? Confess!
sparky

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:42 am

Would you like to translate into "cl" please.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby sparky » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:56 am

1 dram = 0.36 cl
1 pony = 2.9 cl
1 jigger = 4.4 cl
1 snit = 8.9 cl
1 split = 17.7 cl
1 pint = 47.3 cl
sparky

Postby les taylor » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:27 am

Hi sparky welcome to the forums. For me it would be about 2cl. I guess on your scale anything from dram to a pony.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:18 am

A "dram" is whatever you want it to be, thimble-sized to a full highball glass. It depends on how generous you feel at the time. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:18 pm

when i pour whisky in my glas its usually somwhere in between dram and pony I`ve measured it once it was about 2 cl .
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 pm

Here in Norway, a jigger is closest to what we pour as a dram, 4cl to be precise. And it's illegal to pour doubles, ie more than 4cl of the same alcohol into the same glass, thus we must pour 2, silly really. But then it gets silllier in that if you make an international cocktail, it's totally fine to mix various liquors into the same glass, as many cl as the customer is willing to pay for, and since "it's so expensive in Norway," (bla bla bla), no one ever has a true Long Island Ice Tea for example, which I guess must be about 10cl or so.
I generally pour myself about 2-4 cl when I'm at home, depending on the mood. And when I'm out, I'll usually order 2cl in order to have a taste of something.
Di Blasi

Postby Bullie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:51 pm

Ann-Helen wrote:when i pour whisky in my glas its usually somwhere in between dram and pony I`ve measured it once it was about 2 cl .

Just about the same here... Depends if I pour it for myself a saturday evening or if I pour for a 50 person tasting...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:20 pm

depends on how heavy my right hand is ;)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Usually I pour myself between a dram and a pony, although if I'm having a quiet Saturday night in it's more likely to be a jigger
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Rory B Bellows » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:15 pm

I just grab a glass and pour.
Rory B Bellows

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:47 pm

There are several different technical definitions of a dram, depending on context. A dram of perfume is a specific (and rsather small, as I recall) amount, for example. In whisky usage, it's just a serving--whatever you want it to be.

The standard pour in Scotland, 35ml or about 1 1/4 oz, seems about right for tasting to me. At home, it's probably between an ounce and an ounce and a half. The pub I was in last night poured me about 2 1/2 oz of Glenlivet, enough to accompany two pints of their IPA (a brewpub! A pleasant surprise on the road) and hopefully will again tonight.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:04 pm

A dram is a dram is a dram with no specific measurement.
If it is to be broken down it can be done so thus; Small, Large, Good Sized or Bloody Big.
Small drams are reserved for those for whom a good sized dram would be overpowering, whereas a bloody big dram is usually administered to lessen the effect of, for example, an invoice from Loch Fyne Whiskies which has been intercepted by Mrs C
:shock:
Deactivated Member

Dram is a dram?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:35 pm

Sparky:
Welcome to the forum, needless to say you'll find a very eclectic bunch here. Knowledgeable, but eclectic, eh Bruce? :D

Nice first Poll you've prepared, by the by.

If I were to pick a measure, I would say 1 1/2 ounces is my dram. At a tasting, I drop the measure to 1 tablespoon so that after 12 samples, you are still somewhat coherent, however there is sufficient to actually get the nose and taste sensations.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Dram is a dram?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:55 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Sparky:
Welcome to the forum, needless to say you'll find a very eclectic bunch here. Knowledgeable, but eclectic, eh Bruce? :D

There are some individuals here who are eclectic all by themselves....

Muskrat Portage wrote:At a tasting, I drop the measure to 1 tablespoon so that after 12 samples, you are still somewhat coherent....
Muskrat

Is that how much it takes? I'll have to try it.

I had a three-ounce dram in the pub attached to my hotel here last night, of Glenlivet 12 (the entire malt selection was that and 'fiddich). I have to say, that was a nice amount for really getting to know and enjoy the whisky. Tastings are wonderful, but a bit artificial, and I'm always a bit wary of notes made in such circumstances. I know that I cannot really begin to understand a malt in such a small sample, nor can I properly taste many consecutive malts. And tasting competitions are another thing altogether--to win such, a product must stand out in some way, and I think brewers and chili chefs, for example, design their entries with that in mind. The same principle applies to some extent to whisky tastings, so that, when I see "Macaskill 42 was the consensus hit of the evening", I take it with a grain of salt. It means that Macaskill 42 was the favorite of those tasters in that context, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be the favorite of any of those people in a different (particularly noncompetitive) context.

This is also one, among several, reasons that I don't even think about scoring whiskies.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:58 am

I tend to keep my drams down to a single unit. I'd rather have two or three different whiskies and remain coherent than sacrifice my short term memory to a larger portion of one whisky.

I sometimes go with bigger portions if I'm trying to finish a specific bottle off though.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby sparky » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:25 am

I didn't realize that a dram does in fact refer to a serving of whisky as several here have pointed out. It took a lot of searching, but I did finally see a definition of dram that included the context of scotch ad Scotland specifically. So my dram is a jigger (well, it usually approaches 2 pony's (ponies?)).

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been perusing the forum for a while now and decided to get in on the fun. I am fairly new to scotch, but it has been love at first taste (Talisker 10). Growing up on beer and Canadian Rye whisky, I had no idea that spirits could be so richly flavored.
sparky

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:41 pm

A pony if I'm doing tasting notes and have several lined up. A jigger if just contemplating a drink or 2 or trying to finish off a bottle. A snit or a split would be a long weekend, and a pint... haven't tried that in 20 years. :oops:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:29 pm

OK, I have now decided that for my own purposes and after seeing the ounces translated to CL, I will personally abide by the following definitions:

One "Wee Dram" = 2cl
One "Dram" = 4cl

Finally, my thanks to Sparky and Mr. T for the technical definitions, but could you now price these measurements in LSD?

(That's not something to inject or sniff, but original Pounds, Shillings and Pence!)
:lol:
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:50 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:..., but could you now price these measurements in LSD? (That's not something to inject or sniff, but original Pounds, Shillings and Pence!) :lol:
MT

Scottish Pounds or British Pounds? :D
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:25 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Finally, my thanks to Sparky and Mr. T for the technical definitions, but could you now price these measurements in LSD?

I could ask Timothy Leary, who was from Springfield (and went to the same high school I did). Alas, he is dead.

No, nonono, he's outside....
Deactivated Member

Postby toshie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:41 am

A dranm is a measure which is equally acceptable to the giver and the receiver :wink:
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Scotchio » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:48 am

Occasionally a pony but usually a jigger
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:38 pm

I'm a little worried about the ones in this poll whose "dram" is a "pint". Please say you're talking about beer! :o
Last edited by Jon Barleycorn on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Barleycorn

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:58 pm

I voted for a 'snit' just because I like the sound of it. In reality I'd probably go for a double snit!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Rudy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:10 am

Usually slightly less than 2cl (1.5-1.75) so I can enjoy more different 'drams' during the evening....
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Nock » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:19 am

I would have to say the jigger is the closest to what I pour.

Usually if I am tasting two or three single malts in a sitting I will pour a pony of each.

But that is rare
and usually I just want to enjoy a malt in the evening.
Then I will pour around 5 cl
so a big jigger

But not enough to be a snit

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Dan G » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:24 pm

I don't think I've ever used the word dram! And I've never refered to a drink as a snit, but that's about what I usually pour myself. But that lasts 2 to 3 hours quite often, if I'm just at home in the evening.

I usually only have 2 or 3 bottles open at a time, and seldom drink from more than one in a night, but if I wanted to sample more than one kind, I'd probably pour something a bit smaller.
Dan G

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:47 am

Usually I pour a jigger, but if it is a whisky I have not tried yet, I pour a little less.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:25 pm

Depends what I'm doing.

If I'm having a few different drams I'd have between 25-50mls depending on how many different drams but on a good night I'd have 15ml in total so 3 jiggers approx but like last night I had less than 20ml so it really depends on mood.

I don't get the drams part of the equation. A dram to me is a single pour whether it is 100ml :wink: , 50ml or 20ml ????
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:55 pm

I need to translate drams, jiggers, etc. into "fingers". I usually pour two or three fingers and I call that a drink. A finger is when you put your finger horizontally at the bottom of the glass (from outside) and pour up to the level of your finger. Dont try putting your finger vertically, you will get drunk !!! lol
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:09 pm

LeoDLion wrote:I need to translate drams, jiggers, etc. into "fingers". I usually pour two or three fingers and I call that a drink. A finger is when you put your finger horizontally at the bottom of the glass (from outside) and pour up to the level of your finger. Dont try putting your finger vertically, you will get drunk !!! lol

Why this sounds like one of those pull my finger jokes. :lol: I'm sure someone out there can come up with a jigger watt joke too.

I would say that I have no usual pour as it will vary based upon what I am pouring much more than what is my condition. Better whisky usually results in a smaller pour. As bottle nears bottom, the pours usually become smaller or larger depending on my preservation mood. Cask strength is usally about 1.5 oz before addition of water. Everyday whisky like a Macallan 12, Ardbeg 10 will result in about a 2-3 oz pour. My bartenders well they usually pour me three fingers.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:57 pm

LeoDLion wrote:I need to translate drams, jiggers, etc. into "fingers". I usually pour two or three fingers and I call that a drink. A finger is when you put your finger horizontally at the bottom of the glass (from outside) and pour up to the level of your finger. Dont try putting your finger vertically, you will get drunk !!! lol

Yes but it depends on the glass too .... :wink:

I've seen some whiskey glasses that look like buckets and a bar measure is just lost in them :o
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Quaichuser » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:31 am

All this time I've been doing the vertical measure, no wonder my bottles don't last long. :headbang:

Do the 2 fingers have to be on the same hand? :lol: :lol:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Feldrin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 am

Depending on whether I want to taste a lot in an evening or not, I take 1cl or 2cl 'drams'. I've got a jigger with those measurements to make it easier.

Before that I just used to pour from the bottle into the glass. Those were some huge drams I sometimes had, by accident, of course.
Feldrin

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder