Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What types of spirit other than whisky do you drink?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What other types of spirit do you drink?

Cognac
13%
Armagnac
8%
Spanish or Italian brandy
No votes
Absinth
No votes
Fruit liqueur (Grand Marnier, Cointreau etc. )
3%
Rum
33%
Tequila
10%
Vodka
5%
Akevitt/Aquavit
5%
Gin
8%
Other?
15%

Total votes : 39

What types of spirit other than whisky do you drink?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:32 am

Thought it would be interesting to know what kind of spirits other than whisky you enjoy from time to time?

Although it's mostly whisky I also like a glass of Cointreau in a cognac glass or sometimes also a cognac or akevitt if I'm offered.

(too bad it's not an option to choose several alternatives - or is it? )
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby sku » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:49 am

Mostly aged Tequila and Mezcal, but I'd like to try some of the new small batch rums.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:17 am

I like an occasional glass of Armagnac. The fun of vintages appeals to me :)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:00 am

I like the occasional cognac or armagnac, vodka hits the spot at times too but whisky is the only spirit I drink more than once in a blue moon.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Alternate beverages

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:30 am

Christian:
I was just looking in to browse and not log in when I saw this poll. I pick 1)Rum
2)Cointreau
3)Southern Comfort
Rum and Coke for a primary alternate to whisky dramming, it can be enjoyed summer or winter equally well.
Cointreau is my camping drink, I lacing my morning coffee with a good dollop then just top up with coffee for the rest of the morning.
Southern Comfort and 7 up or Ginger Ale when I crave something sweet and don't want Whisky or Rum. Also good with Squirt in Cancun.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:22 am

Mr F. you left out "All of the above" :)

For me it is somtimes either a martini or G & T before dinner.

After dinner, cognac, armagnac or the occasional Sambuca. 8)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:06 am

I picked Rum because besides a fairly large Single Malt Whisky collection I have a nice little Rum collection too.

...But I also enjoy a Pierre Ferrand Cognac or Grey Goose Vodka from time to time.
not to mention Kahlua & Frangelico liqueurs for ice cream!! :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:09 am

Tequila is very high on my list. I am now trying to put together a nice little rum collection as well. Ron Matusalem 15 and Murray McDavid Guyana are the two standouts for me right now.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:53 am

I voted rum ,Ron zacapa centario is wonderful and ron millionair too.
Beer and depending on if Ichoose or I`m beeing served If I`m beeing served I`ll drinkit with one exeption that`s wine I just can`t stand wine!!
So if it`s my choice i will drink whisky , a good rum or beer or maybe bailys in my coffee.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Photon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:27 am

I voted Armagnac, as its the only one listed that I own a bottle of - well my wife does, I got it for her with some chocolates for Valentines. It's a good combo.

I have to admit that when I've been to Europe, I can't resist having an Absinthe, probably just the whole forbideness.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:37 am

Calvados! I wish I could get more of the stuff around here. I recommend it to any whisky drinker--you will at least find it interesting. Get a nice old one, like an XO--there are a lot of younger ones around, and they are too spirity.

I hope to check out cognac, armagnac, and tequila at some point. The Alchemist bottles armagnac and calvados as well as whisky (Macallan and HP so far), and I enjoyed the dram I had of each. The calvados was as good a one as I've had, thanks to age (14yo) and enlightened bottling regime.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:13 am

We enjoy a pre show gin and tonic from time to time. Hendricks Gin and Fever Tree tonic of course.

We also have a 25 year old calvados in the drinks cupboard.

:)
les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:27 pm

I'm either a malt snob, or simply can't afford other than my favourite drink, so the only other spirit i enjoy other than whisky is an occasional whiskey...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:24 pm

All of them, pretty much.

Rum: My boss has got into Rum and I'm following on his coat tails. I think it is a great drink. We are lucky enough to have a pub called the Rummer here in Bristol. Great rum selection and worth a visit if you're ever in town. Ron Zacapa 23yo, 25yo - superb. The sherry influence is flawless. Wish Macallan could use that quality of cask. Inner Circle Green is powerful smokey and different. Also like Gosling Family Reserve and Pyrat XO. El Dorado 25yo is also amazing.

I like Cognac and Armagnac, so long as they are not too sugared and carameled. Have had some 'good ones', but still fail to be moved by it massively.

I drink Greek and Italian brandy too - mainly in Cocoa !! The stuff is fine but verges on being a liquor to me.

My mum bought some Calvados: Domaine du Bordage 10yo. This stuff is truly fantastic. Reminds of a well spiced American Rye, with big Oak and apple flavours. I've also had the 5yo. Buy it if you see it.

Absinthe: Tried quite a few. Do not really have an opinion but appreciate the pure savagery it can offer.

Tequila: Like every one I've tried but no idea what's what. Will get into them at some point no doubt.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:39 pm

bamber wrote:My mum bought some Calvados: Domaine du Bordage 10yo. This stuff is truly fantastic. Reminds of a well spiced American Rye, with big Oak and apple flavours. I've also had the 5yo. Buy it if you see it.

Don't know that one! Most of the ones I've tried carry the appellation Pays d'Auge, a subregion in Calvados. Auge is the circular trough in which apples are pressed, either for cider or calvados. To carry this appellation, the spirit must be double-distilled; recycled cognac stills are used (below). Elsewhere, a single distillation is done in eau-de-vie stills.

Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Mr T I always find it remarkable that you just have a photo to hand to illustrate the point. Good work.

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Actually, calvados comes up about once every six months, and I just repeat myself and show the same photo 8) ...that's how you get to 5,000+ posts!
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:37 pm

This past new year, I was at a friend's house who is originally from Normandy. Her family was there visiting from france, and brought two bottles of calvados, which they said were both very, very old (they claimed almost 50 years, but they may have been mistaken about the exact age) - either way, whatever the age was, the stuff was amazing, smooth, sweet, rich, complex, ..... basically all the great things that fine spirits should be.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Rudy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Actually, I enjoy cognac from time to time as well.
The French alternatives (Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados) are for some reason more affordable, although afaik it’s more expensive to produce(grapes vs barley).
And older vintages are more easy affordable!
So e.g. the previous mentioned 50 yo Calvados costs here in NL up to EUR 200,-. Some 50yo cognacs are even in the EUR 150 range. Of course a lot of money, but for comparison: for that money, you can’t buy a Macallan or Springbank 21yo.
Another difference/advantage: certain cognacs (from e.g. the Fine Bois) mature more quickly, so a 6yo cognac can be splendid, keeping your budget intact to pay the rent as well!  :)
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:55 pm

Wow - I never realised there are so many other spirits.

I don't usually wander too far away from whisky, but if I do it would be for Asbach Uralt.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Rudy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:04 am

- That's German Brandy (Weinbrand-means burnt wine, so brandy), not even in the option list above!
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:09 am

I think it's listed under - other.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:40 am

sorry, but I couldn't remember all the different spirits. I see I should have mentioned Grappa as an alternative too.

Bamber & Ann-Helen; you both name various rums - and it looks like rum is one of the most popular alternatives. Unfortunately I haven't got much experience with it but I'll have to check out what's available around here.I've tried to enlighten myself a little and it seems the "El Dorado Rum" (the 15yo is available in Norway) from Demerera Distillers is distilled in wooden pot stills :shock: :shock: :shock: . And, they've been profiding the british navy its rum for 200 years (untill 1970) . Quite fascinating to know that Lord Nelson and his seamen could have had a double ration of rum before the battle of Trafalgar - and you can buy a bottle with rum made in the same wooden stills.....

Edit: They also produce "Pusser's Rum" and is marketed as "The single malt of rum" http://www.pussers.com/
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Rudy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:26 am

Hi Paul,

now that you mentioned that, I have overlooked that. Guess it got a tad late again....night night.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:05 am

Hello mr. fjeld
Here in Norway you can`t get ahold of good rum you have to go to Danmark. I think that most norwegians and Swedes only drink rum as in cuba libre or mixed with something else .you don`t put any thing into my rum !!
Ellers kan du alltids få smake rom hos oss når du kommer med mrs Fjeld :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:33 am

One of the most amazing pieces of shop theatre we enjoyed was in a Calvados shop in Horn Fleur in France. The shop was owned by a huge but gentle French man. We could not communicate the differences about the Calvados with him because of the language barrier.

Until a very helpful french lady came into the shop and translated for us. He got out so many different bottles for us to taste, with each one he would bang it down on the table before providing us with a sample. It was great and like single malt the different expressions and years were very varied.

Hence we bought a 25 year old Calvados which we must open soon.

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:47 am

Hi Mr. F.
Unfortunately I am unable to complete your poll as this only allows for ONE choice!

So, I will offer the following:

I enjoy a good Cognac or on the rare occasions I am somewhere that sells them by the dram, a good Armagnac.
Living very close to Northern Italy I have also grown to like and appreciate fine Grappa and I even have my preferred shop for buying this, only 3 hours drive away.
I also know a private vineyard or two who distill their own! :wink:

Back in the UK I used to enjoy an odd glass of rum, but haven't done so for many years now.

Regional alternatives to cognac, like Vecchio Romana and calvados are also on my list of drinks that will take in restaurants, but rarely buy these to drink at home.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:48 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Bamber & Ann-Helen; you both name various rums - and it looks like rum is one of the most popular alternatives. Unfortunately I haven't got much experience with it but I'll have to check out what's available around here.I've tried to enlighten myself a little and it seems the "El Dorado Rum" (the 15yo is available in Norway)
Edit: They also produce "Pusser's Rum" and is marketed as "The single malt of rum" http://www.pussers.com/

Not tried Pusser's Rum, yet. There are around 80 different ones in 'The Rummer' and I plan to try them all eventually.

I've had a 20cl sample of the El Dorado 15yo rum and though it is pretty good, it has a slight off taste that has been extracted in the 25yo.

So far in my limited rum experience (about 15 different ones), older does seem to be better (when comparing the same brand).
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:53 am

"Woods old Navy 100" Is a rum that everyone should try, even if only once.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:55 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
bamber wrote:My mum bought some Calvados: Domaine du Bordage 10yo. This stuff is truly fantastic. Reminds of a well spiced American Rye, with big Oak and apple flavours. I've also had the 5yo. Buy it if you see it.

Don't know that one! Most of the ones I've tried carry the appellation Pays d'Auge, a subregion in Calvados. Auge is the circular trough in which apples are pressed, either for cider or calvados. To carry this appellation, the spirit must be double-distilled; recycled cognac stills are used (below). Elsewhere, a single distillation is done in eau-de-vie stills.Image

Love that image Mr. TH, looks really rustic :)

With regards, the Calvados I mentioned, I've looked for it here, but think it is only available in France. I must confess I was so impressed, by both the 5yo and 10yo, it actually shook me up a bit ! All this dedication to whisk(e)y and here is a drink that might just slot into my favourite pours, out of the blue :shock: I felt like a bit of a traitor :D

This website might interest you / everyone: http://www.calvadosonline.co.uk/
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Ann-Helen wrote:Hello mr. fjeld
Here in Norway you can`t get ahold of good rum you have to go to Danmark. I think that most norwegians and Swedes only drink rum as in cuba libre or mixed with something else .you don`t put any thing into my rum !!
Sounds like I have to go abroad then.......
That's too bad as I want to bring back whisky and not rum.
Ellers kan du alltids få smake rom hos oss når du kommer med mrs Fjeld :)

Fristende :D

Bamber wrote:I've had a 20cl sample of the El Dorado 15yo rum and though it is pretty good, it has a slight off taste that has been extracted in the 25yo.

So far in my limited rum experience (about 15 different ones), older does seem to be better (when comparing the same brand).

I don't think we have anything that old in Norway yet but I think I'll have to try the El Dorado 15. Seems to go well with the enthusiasts but from what I read they say exactly the same as you do; the 21/25 is better.

I wonder if any of these are worth trying:

Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum
Mount Gay Extra Old Rum
Pampero Aniversario
Plantation Barbados 1995 Old Reserve Rum
Plantation Jamaica 8 Years Old Reserve Rum
Plantation Trinidad 1996 Old Reserve Rum
Rhum J.M Reserve Speciale
Rhum J.M. 1992, Rhum J.M. 1997
Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva
Saint-Etienne Rhum Agricole
Saint-Etienne Rhum Vieux
Trois Rivières 1996
Trois Rivières 8 Ans
Trois Rivières Cuvée Moulin

Some of the alternatives are too expensive as I rarely use that much on whisky which after all is a priority. But the Mount Gay maybe?
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby martin grant » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Every now and then, when the sun does occasionally shine, I like to sit on the patio after dinner with an XO cognac and a cohiba. Fantastic.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:23 pm

Some of the alternatives are too expensive as I rarely use that much on whisky which after all is a priority. But the Mount Gay maybe?

Mount Gay is a good rum, in fact I just bought a bottle of the Mount Gay Extra Old Rum last night.

Also have:
Appleton Estate Reserve Jamaican Rum
Cadenheads Barbados 12yo Green Label
Cruzan Estate 151 Rum
Flora de Cana Grand Reserve 7yo (1 liter)
Flora de Cana Centenario 12yo
Plantation Barbados 1991 Old Reserve
Plantation Guyana 1990 Old Reserve
Plantation Venezuela 1992 Old Reserve
Planters Gold Pyrat XO Reserve (my favorite!)
Pyrat Rum "Pistol" (375ml)

I use to drink Pusser's & Myers rums a few years ago but they now pale in comparison to Planters Pyrat & Flora de Cana which are now my favs with Mount Gay up and coming. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Wave wrote:

Mount Gay is a good rum, in fact I just bought a bottle of the Mount Gay Extra Old Rum last night.

Also have:
Appleton Estate Reserve Jamaican Rum
Cadenheads Barbados 12yo Green Label
Cruzan Estate 151 Rum
Flora de Cana Grand Reserve 7yo (1 liter)
Flora de Cana Centenario 12yo
Plantation Barbados 1991 Old Reserve
Plantation Guyana 1990 Old Reserve
Plantation Venezuela 1992 Old Reserve
Planters Gold Pyrat XO Reserve (my favorite!)
Pyrat Rum "Pistol" (375ml)

I use to drink Pusser's & Myers rums a few years ago but they now pale in comparison to Planters Pyrat & Flora de Cana which are now my favs with Mount Gay up and coming. :wink:

Cheers!

Hi Wave - thanks for your help :D
Think I'll add Mount Gay Extra Old to my list then - and/or one of the Plantation rums.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:55 pm

bamber wrote:Love that image Mr. TH, looks really rustic :)

With regards, the Calvados I mentioned, I've looked for it here, but think it is only available in France. I must confess I was so impressed, by both the 5yo and 10yo, it actually shook me up a bit ! All this dedication to whisk(e)y and here is a drink that might just slot into my favourite pours, out of the blue :shock: I felt like a bit of a traitor :D

One of these days I will post a page on my visit to Brittany and Normandy on my website, with a number of calvados-related photos. It's about fourth on my to-do list, though, and first isn't getting done any too quickly.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder