Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

40 Days and 40 Nights

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Can he do it?

Yeah, sounds like he's got enough self-control.
73%
He'll crack when the finish line is in sight.
No votes
He'll make it about halfway and then the bottles will start calling him.
No votes
He'll make it a few weeks but then he'll worry that his bottles are oxidizing and get back on track.
13%
He'll have a dram on Friday so that he has time to start a new vow.
13%

Total votes : 15

40 Days and 40 Nights

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:18 pm

I was born Catholic and I am a believer, but since I moved and got this promotion, my church attendance has been heavily lacking.

Regardless, one of the most valuable things I have taken from being Catholic is Lent. My sophomore year in college, I gave up soda and sweets and ended up shedding a good deal of belly fat/love handles in that time. I decided to keep that one partially intact for the rest of my life.

Two years ago, I gave up cigarettes. I've never been a smoker, but when I go to clubs and someone offers me a smoke, I never turned it down. Plus I had just gotten back from a Europe trip, where cigarettes are great openers for talking to girls. Anyway, I've kept that one up since then as well.

Last year I gave up alcohol, and I was amazed at the amount of increased physical ability it gave me. I'm pretty tall (6'4") but I had never had such an easy time dunking a basketball. It took almost no effort.

Anyway, I'm no longer in a basketball league, but I'm gonna do the alcohol thing again. I know it's not all that creative, but it's really the only thing that I would "mind" giving up at all.

My gf and I watched 40 Days and 40 Nights last night--the movie where the guy gives up sex for Lent and people are betting on what day he's going to crack.

So do you think I can do it? What day do you think I'll crack (if I do). I don't have 100% success rate with Lenten vows, but I'm pretty confident about this one.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:56 pm

Nah, you'll do it.

But probably have a good night out at the first opportunity afterwards.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm

40 days and 40 nights and no nookie... :shock:

i think youll fail... or maybe i just think i would...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:12 pm

I voted for complete success :)

I know I'd fail, about all I can do is go on a diet and lose weight, but you have a proven track record and if you're going to post something like this in here I think that means you have already decided to succeed.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:51 am

Big deal. If you wanna do it, you will! No problem at all. As long as you understand why you're doing it, or not doing it rather, for 40 days and 40 nights, and you'll be fine. Good luck! What will you substitute it with??
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:08 am

I expect the major craving to hit tomorrow of course.

I actually failed on this one last year--the sticking point being my birthday in late March.

No plans for a substitute. Maybe really good food?

It will be nice to have a virgin palate and a virgin nose again after Easter.

Also I'm not trying to make a big deal of it or anything. Just thought I'd mix up the polls a bit.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:17 am

I voted the last alternative - but that's just a way of saying "break a leg" .
Mr Fjeld

Giving up for Lent

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:36 am

peergynt323:
I suspect you'll have no problem with it. The concern I have is you'll have to start all over again re-educating your palate once the 41st day rolls around. You'll have to dram like a madman to get back to where you are now, just in time for Lent next year. Somehow seems recursive. :D
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am

Hi peergynt323 I congratulate you on your abstinence, and I know that many people do observe lent. But is there a scripture in the Bible which Christians can turn to as to why they do observe lent? I'd be interested to know what it is. Thanks in advance.

Les.

:)
les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:16 pm

Hi Les,

Lent is all about abstinance, self exploration, spiritual cleansing and self disipline.

It's supposed to be a time of inward reflection as well as spiritual reflection.

It is basically derived from when

Jesus when into the 'Wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights'

To fast, pray and reflect on himself and his mission in life.

It is deemed as time to rebuild you spirital self and faith.

I was brought up as a Catholic but I'm not into it really so I cannot quote the Bible to you :?
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi IWC That was helpful. But did not Jesus go into the wilderness for 40 days at the start of his Ministry which was 3 and a half years before his death, and was autumn time not spring. So Why is Lent 40 days leading up to Easter. Prior to Jesus death. It would be nice to know if Jesus expected his followers to fast for 40 days as well. Is that in the Bible. Thanks IWC

Les

les taylor

Postby Matt2 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:45 pm

Les, most dates in the bible have been shifted around to make it more appealing to the Pagans, such as christmas / dec 25th. Pre 11th / 12th century bibles are apparently quite different to the ones you read today.

It is not mentioned in the bible, believe it is quite a modern idea circa 15th / 16th century. Also has origins in other cultures when this time of year was not good for food, winter stocks running low and nothing growing for a month or two.

Anyway, good luck peergynt323 and I am sure you will make it to the end. Giving up anything and exercising some self control in our modern 'have everything' world is to be commended what ever the reason.
Matt2

Postby martin grant » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm sure you can do it peergynt. I certainly voted for you to do it, and I see most folk seem to have voted that way.
Would be interesting to hear how you feel after the your self imposed abstinence
Good luck
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:56 pm

The Bible is very interesting historical book on it's own but not very accurate at times but has some very accurate info too.

As I say I'm not into the whole religion thing but I'm very interested in history and it is certianly true that Jesus was a real person but this crack of running off into the wilderness is all very vague.

But as Matt has said most christian dates have been re-organised so as to run alongside pagan dates and eventually to swallow up the pagan rituals to be replaced by the christian ones. They even took some of the symbolism for their own. Christianity did this very well and conquered the pagan world fairly quickly through this method.
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:03 pm

les taylor wrote:Hi peergynt323 I congratulate you on your abstinence, and I know that many people do observe lent. But is there a scripture in the Bible which Christians can turn to as to why they do observe lent? I'd be interested to know what it is. Thanks in advance.

Les.

Nope. Just one of our crazy traditions. :wink:
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:24 am

Good luck to you. I am agnostic but I give up chocolate for Lent every year just to prove to myself I have a shred of willpower.

My missus has given up sex for Lent, and appears to have got "40 days" and "40 weeks" mixed up... :cry:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Lent

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:35 am

TheLaddie wrote: ......My missus has given up sex for Lent, and appears to have got "40 days" and "40 weeks" mixed up... :cry:

I take it "Mrs Laddie" doesn't read the forums, otherwise, let us know when it stretches to 40months...
I might give up the forums for 40 days... but whisky - never!
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:53 am

Many people are expecting Jesus to come again, and see current global madness as a sign...

If He should knock at my door I'd offer the best that i've got...and after a dram or two I would beseech(is that the right word,scholars?)Him to do the water into wine thing...but could he make it water into whisky this time...and preferably Ardbeg '77?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Favorite wine prayer

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:14 am

One of my favorite "prayers" which I've posted somewhere here before and initially heard invoked at a Robbie Burns dinner is:
"Oh Lord, that changes water into wine, have mercy on us who change it back again"
Love that, thought you'd enjoy it RB. :D
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:38 am

I take 30 days off every year, the first week can be a bit of a challenge but happily after that I don't miss having a drink at all. I'm sure you can do the full 40 days.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby heatmiser » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:07 pm

I am also giving up alcohol for Lent. Three days in and still holding strong. Wish me luck!!! :cry:
heatmiser

Re: Favorite wine prayer

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:"Oh Lord, that changes water into wine, have mercy on us who change it back again"

:D Love it! :D
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Re: Lent

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:16 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
TheLaddie wrote: ......My missus has given up sex for Lent, and appears to have got "40 days" and "40 weeks" mixed up... :cry:

I take it "Mrs Laddie" doesn't read the forums

I was sorta hoping she would and get the hint...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder