Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How long does it take you to finish a bottle?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

how long to polish off a 750ml bottle of quality scotch?

1 week
15%
2 weeks
24%
3 weeks
47%
a day... or two... or three
6%
days? are you nuts? let's talk hours... o_O
9%

Total votes : 34

How long does it take you to finish a bottle?

Postby killerwhale » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:49 pm

750ml quality bottle of scotch?

I know many have multiple bottles on the go, so roughly, how long to finish 750ml of good scotch.... not cheap stuff, that's another poll altogether 8)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:00 pm

Impossible to give an accurate answer, I said three weeks, but this is probably a minimum. A good bottle could hang around for a year before it is finished, or more usually last a month to six weeks.

That figure also depends on how many bottles I have open at any one time, this year I'm trying to cut down on the number of open bottles that I have. So far this year the maximum number has been three malts plus a blend.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:05 pm

was getting at the rough figure of 750ml of good scotch.... and how long it takes one to work through that size....
with multiple bottles on the go, just wondering approx. time to go through 750ml.... in total
:D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby lambda » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:11 pm

Goal is about 2 weeks.. but sometimes I have some days left at the end of the bottle :)
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:01 am

thanks for posts.... :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:35 am

Some in weeks, others in months.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Are you nuts?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:11 pm

Killerwhale:
How about a third option? Over 3 weeks? At the prices they charge in Canada for decent or better 750 ml Single Malts and the limited amount of dramming that I have time to do over the course of a month, it would take me anywhere from a year to three years to finish off a bottle. In some rare circumstances it takes a decade just to get around to opening one.

Mind you, at present I have 60 bottles open in various levels of depredation including the following at well below the 50% mark:
ROYAL BRACKLA,(Hart Bros) 18yo
BALVENIE, THE PORTWOOD 21yo
CAOL ILA 11yo
GLENDRONACH Sherry cask 15yo
HIGHLAND PARK 1977
HIGHLAND PARK 18 yo
LAGAVULIN 1979
ROYAL LOCHNAGAR, RM 23yo (59.7 % VOL)
ROYAL LOCHNAGAR, RM 30 yo(56.2 % VOL)
PORT ELLEN 22 yo (1979) Cask Btl # 3038
ST. MAGDALENE 21yo Cask Str
SINGLETON of AUCHROISK 1981 (I've had this one for 14 years)

As some of these bottles ranged in price from $130 - 240.00 CDN, I am loath to drain them rapidly. In the interests of sharing , I'm going to offer them up for the next tasting I hold entitled "Lets' Drain Pete's Dregs". :D
This will also open up a dozen spots for new or replacement drams.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:45 pm

Well given that I drink around 35 units a week, which is nearly all whisky and there are 28 (UK) / 30 (US) units in a bottle .... Oh dear better not carry on, with this calculation :D
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:49 am

Muskrat.... 60 bottles open? :shock:
wow.... that would scare me.... :P
I would like to attend that draining event though.... :lol:

I understand that some take much longer to go through 750mls.... I should have added that option indeed.... sorry

I also think my question was not very clear... it mainly had to do with units, not specific bottles... as many have a lot open..... *pokes your bottles*

thanks for post..... :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:51 am

bamber.... lol..... but that is perfectly okay... at least you are getting much enjoyment out of it.... though your wallet may disagree with me if it could... still.... we only live once.. :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Estimate

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:59 am

Killerwhale:
It took a long time to get that many opened and will take just as long to clear them up. Ideally I would like to have two or three open at a time and have replacements sitting in the wings. If I had a dram or two every couple of days, say averaging 8 oz (250 ml) a week , it would take three weeks to empty one bottle of 750 ml. :D

As I have 60 1/2 full bottles it will take 1 year, 38 weeks of light dramming to clear them up without help. :shock: You could always just skip over the large hills and bit of prairie that stands between us to come dram, you know.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Estimate

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:16 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:You could always just skip over the large hills and bit of prairie that stands between us to come dram, you know.

"Large hills"? You can't even stub your toe west of Whiteshell....
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:17 am

Oops! He's from BC. I was still thinking of spiff, from Winnipeg.

My inventory says that I opened 15 bottles and finished 16 in 2006, so that's about one every three and a half weeks. But that's just at home. I spent a month in Scotland, and a lot of other time on the road. I don't think I really want to figure it out.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

He's baa-aaack!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:22 am

Bruce:
Nice to have you back. I missed your wit and wisdom.
MP
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: He's baa-aaack!

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:26 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Bruce:
Nice to have you back. I missed your wit and wisdom.
MP

Most everyone does.... :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:06 am

I don't drink as much as I use to due to my health so if I had only 1 bottle openned at a time (atm about 30!)
it would still take me me about 4 weeks to finish it. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:14 pm

As I have 60 1/2 full bottles it will take 1 year, 38 weeks of light dramming to clear them up without help. You could always just skip over the large hills and bit of prairie that stands between us to come dram, you know.

that isn't all that long really..... and you must have a golden selection aswell so I'll tip my hat to you :D

these large hills are a tad slippery at the moment.... not good for skipping at all which is my loss really... :(
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:21 pm

MrT., a month in Scotland sounds wonderful.... and I don't think one should have to add what has been consumed during such a trip to ones general consumption, personally I'd chalk it up to a dream and not give it any more thought... :wink:

wave.... aslong as one can still enjoy life, everything else is pocket lint :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:59 pm

I reckon I'm polishing off a bottle a week. This is of course a combined total of all the different drams and not a single bottle.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby fergusa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Good question.

It depends if I'm with friends then I'll easily see a bottle off in a night. On my own grazing it'll take months to finish a bottle as I swing from a strong malt to easier ones.
fergusa

Postby Dan G » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:51 pm

Even at the longest time period of the pole - 3 weeks - that would be 17 bottles a year. A bit much for me. I'm probably more in the 6-8 bottle range, which would also be about 6-8 weeks per bottle. But I tend to drink less whisky in the summer, when I switch to beer, so maybe if I had only 1 bottle open at a time, I'd find that I was replacing it in 4-5 weeks during normal drinking periods.
Dan G

Postby killerwhale » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Irish, yes my question wasn't very clear though combined total is exactly what I was getting at... :D

also, I should have put a longer option to include more people.... :?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:04 pm

fergusa, grazing.... I like that :D nice to sample a wide range of flavours

Dan, that is very true regarding summer.... a cold beer goes a long way on a hot summer day :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Cam » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 pm

I checked off '3 weeks' as that was the longest option. I have numerous bottles open and dip into them only 2 or 3 three times a week taking 3 or 4 drams at a time.

I have bottles that have been open for almost a year. So with all the talk on a different post about whisky deterioration in open bottles had me concerned. Then again, my rather inexperienced palate hasn't brought that concern to fruition.

Cam
Cam

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:15 pm

thanks Cam for the post... I have also read about the open bottles issue..... I wonder if that makes some bar scotches a whole new experience if they don't sell much of some particular scotches? :?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:38 pm

Absolutely. I've had a number of drams in bars that were plainly not what they ought to be, and have learned to be wary of bottles in their last inch or two--especially expensive ones that don't likely sell fast. I don't really like to see open-topped pourers affixed permanently to the bottle, either. If I owned a whisky pub, I would mark the opening date on each bottle with a grease pencil, and if any one was too low for too long, I would mark it down to move it before it was too late.
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:46 pm

thanks MrT., that is good info and I shall look closer in the future when ordering a scotch from a bar/pub... no sense paying an arm & leg for a dram that could be entirely different than it's intended flavour
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:02 pm

But sometimes you just have to try it...so you pays your money and you takes your chances!
Deactivated Member

Postby Quaichuser » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:23 am

I voted for 3 weeks....sometimes a little longer sometimes a little shorter depending on the stress of the day.

Although on my annual fishing trip it drops to a day :oops:

What can I say. There is no dress rehersal for life!!
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:19 am

What can I say. There is no dress rehersal for life!!

I agree fully.... :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:09 pm

Once I went to our local liquor store Specs and bought a bottle of malt. When I came home, I remember I forgot to buy a certain bottle so off I went back to the store. As I was paying with the same cashier, she asked, "Where you not here an hour ago?". I replied, "Yes but that bottle is gone and I need another one!".

Usually a bottle last a week.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:46 pm

Well, I empty about 16 bottles or so a year. Some don't ever see the cork once removed others have lasted years. Several of mine are getting low so I expect 6 to 8 to be :empty: by the end of August. Must be time to open some new ones. 8)
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:05 pm

LeoDLion wrote:Once I went to our local liquor store Specs and bought a bottle of malt. When I came home, I remember I forgot to buy a certain bottle so off I went back to the store. As I was paying with the same cashier, she asked, "Where you not here an hour ago?". I replied, "Yes but that bottle is gone and I need another one!".

Usually a bottle last a week.

Brilliant. I bet her face was a picture like sucking a lemon.

:thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder