Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which one next.....

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which one should I buy next?

Red Breast 12
33%
Balvenie 21 Port wood
13%
Laphroaig QC
46%
Glenfarclas 105
8%

Total votes : 24

Which one next.....

Postby xcel » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:00 am

Which of these should I buy next, I'm curious to hear your oppinions on these. They're not in any particular order or type of whisky, just ones I'd like to try and I can only buy one at a time.
xcel

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:58 am

Hi Xcel - nice choice. It really depends on what you like. The two that stand out for me on your list are the Balvenie and Laphroaig.
The Balvenie is a sweet unctious dram with good balance between the whisky and port finish (IMHO).
The QC is a very good whisky much appreciated by many on these boards. It is a powerful peaty smoky dram which is remarkably sweet and moreish.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:02 am

I haven't tried the Redbreast 12 but just recently I did enjoy a marvellous Redbreast 15.
If you get the chance, I would very highly recommend that one.

From your actual list I would probably opt for the Balvenie.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 pm

My top two choices would be Laphroaig QC or Redbreast 12. Both are well-priced, and seldom disapoint those who like smokey or Irish whiskies. The Glenfarclas I've heard is a bit unbalanced, and the Portwood is a big gamble (pricewise) if you haven't tried Balvenie.

I voted Redbreast partly on it's price point at the LCBO ($40 cdn) but it may be more in your neck of the woods. Still would probably be worth it though...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:06 pm

I concur with Frodo, both are amonst my top whiskies also so I won't side with either.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:46 pm

I think you should decide on the Balvenie, get your money together, go to the shop, and then change your mind and buy the other three with what you would have spent on the Balvenie. Well, two of them, anyway.
Deactivated Member

QC

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 pm

Quarter cask. If you've tried a Lappie before, you'll love the QC.
M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: QC

Postby Steve Rush » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:36 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Quarter cask. If you've tried a Lappie before, you'll love the QC.
M.P.

Absolutely, QC is a wonderfull dram and it has to be said very reasonably priced.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:31 am

Another vote for the QC! Wonderful stuff.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby xcel » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 am

Looks like Lap QC it will be. I love the C/S, and I thought the QC would be similar and wasn't that eager to try. But it seems like from what I'm hearing it has a different profile.
I will definitly buy it then
xcel

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:04 am

Looks like quite a variety to choose from! I'd go with the Glenfarclas 105 for sure if I had to choose from those right now. Then the Laphroaig Quarter Cask next, the Balvenie 21y Port Wood after that, and finally the Redbreast 12y.
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:20 am

I haven't had the Glenfarclas or the Balvennie 21 but the Laphroaig is very good and the Redbreast 12 is divine. Go for the Redbreast!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Never tried a Redbreast, so my curiosity is aroused. But I voted Lap QC, the best "Lappie"(!!) I ever had, remembering how I kicked myself all the way home from Brisbane to England, for passing up a great deal on one in duty free...

I sat down in the plane, the truth dawned, and it was too late to go back.

Would like to try the Balvenie again, tho' by all accounts it costs two QCs...I only ever tried it at a tasting, and by the time we got to it my tastebuds were shot...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:14 pm

Go for the Laphroig QC! I got it recomended last year, and it has been one of my favourites ever since. The quality/price ratio is very good. This is actually the only whisky of witch I had to buy two bottles last year.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:44 pm

All good whiskies but very different so impossible to compare. Laphroaig QC is a good value sweet Laphroaig with plenty of medicinal peat, Redbreast 12 is an excellent sherried potstill quite different to scotch malts although the 15 is even better if you can find it, Glenfarclas 105, I have a bottle about a year old and it is very well balanced between big rich malt and sherry( perhaps better balanced than some previous bottlings). The Balvenie I haven't tried but in a way I'd suggest a younger unfinished bottle if it's your 1st Balvenie simply as it may offer a better, more affordable insight into the distillery without the port.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby xcel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

I bought the Redbreast 12, by the way. I was not very impressed with it, certainly not one of my favorites. That's the 3rd Irish whisky I've tried now, and I guess I'm just not big on Irish whiskies
xcel

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder