Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How do you Display your collection?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How do you show your collection of whisky?

On display, alphabetically. It's easier to replace them.
4%
On display, by region.
22%
Where-ever I can find room, in the dining hutch, under the stairs, wherever there's room
45%
Hidden away under lock and key for safety.
13%
I drink what I buy so don't waste the space.
5%
It's none of your business.
3%
You have enough to display? What's the address?
7%

Total votes : 130

How do you Display your collection?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:11 am

To give credit where credit is due, I just read this post of Laddies' from The "What are you drinking now?" forum:
The Laddie wrote:Filled the gap with a Caol Ila 12yo OB (my shelf is alphabetical so this was the only way to fill the ugly gap without mucking about moving bottles...) Not opened it yet.
...which led me to wonder if there is any plan used to display your personal collections, or if you toss them up willie-nillie....
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:15 am

Very first vote! :P Where ever I can find room..........
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:30 am

In a large metal cabinet under lock & key!

Originally it was a sucessful attempt to keep my (ex)wife's paws off of the good stuff, now it's just a good idea because of some of the expensive bottles I collect. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:24 am

since I'm new to scotch, I put mine in the hallway closet, away from all unless one goes into closet (large walkin)... then the 8-9 I have open are there for one to see.... I find myself going in there just to look at them.... :D and await the next tasting..... 8)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:32 am

I organize from left to right, favorite to least favorite. This way, I will naturally reach with my right hand for one of the bottles I wouldn't mind seeing empty.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:41 am

I display my bottles on a shelf above the television. The closed bottles at the right hand side, the opened bottles at the left, at the far left the less scored; but I’m thinking to invert all!
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:47 am

I store the bottles after how tall they are. It seems ridiculous but it's the only way to remember what I have and where because I use an old cupboard for storing. The cupboard also work as an upper limit on my collection as I've said to myself I'll stop purchasing when there's no room for more bottles. After emptying the Aberlour 15 yesterday I have a vacant slot.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 am

I store mine by the region i.e Bruichladdich then Islay, ( my Laddie collection is my biggest ) Then the other Islands, Speyside, Highlands and Lowlands together. Then the rest of the world, i.e Irish, Indian, American and Welsh.

It seems to make sense that way and I can always put my hands on something I'm looking for quickly.

:D
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 am

Mine are well out of the way in a cool, dark and as constant a temperature place as I have. Definitely not displayed.

<dream mode>
Although when I win that infamous lottery I will have a very large whisky room purposely fitted out in the basement of whatever property I buy.
</dream mode>
Deactivated Member

Postby kljostad » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:35 am

I hide mine away in a (treasure) chest. As we have large windows, I do not want to encourage any burglars to break in.

I do not want do critisize people who sort their whiskey alphabetically, og in other fashions, but apperently a lot of good librereans is lost in this forum. :)
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Steve Rush » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:39 am

Dispalyed in a cabinet with various whisky accessories and a cigar humidor on the top shelf. A largish selection of bourbons underneath that and underneath that a shelf full of about 20 bottles of various single malt heaven. Underneath that in a locked shelf have about 12 collectable bottles in their original boxes. Underneath this one a shelf full of various other spirits including a few good cognacs.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:01 am

After saying that they are well hidden away from sight, I have just realised that they are in fact displayed.
My full collection can be found displayed on the worldy wide webby thingy.

Now looking for that as an option in the poll.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:10 am

MT I liked your dream mode wouldn't that be fantastic. Mine although displayed are in my office which is on the north side of the house and is cooler than the rest of the house. So the display is for my benefit only.

:)
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:57 am

My sealed bottles are kept in the dark, moderately cool and constant basement storage, ie, the whisky cellar/closet. The opened ones I drink from are in a cabinet, also with the tallest ones in the back so I can see what I have. Yes, one day I'd love to have an in-house whisky bar/room where I could display everything.
Di Blasi

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:37 pm

Closed cabinets in the kitchen with six shelves(holds 66 bottles with boxes or tubes behind). No particular order, just grouped together by distillery. Voted "wherever" because my Bourbons are in another cabinet and all my craft beer in yet another. Not much room left for food. :wink:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:34 am

Well I guess my vote was a given...Cheers MP!

My drinking bottles are on a long shelf in the kitchen and are displayed alphabetically by distillery. For some reason there is often an open bottle next to my PC.

My "collection" whiskies are kept boxed in the garage on shelves at the back.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:45 am

Behind closet doors, protected from the sunlight that may be shining through the window.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:45 pm

Mostly in 12bottle cardboard delivery boxes :wink:

I actually had a 3foot wide floor to ceiling glass fronted shelving displaying 60 odd random bottles just for self gratification. However since moving I have not yet got around to setting this up.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:50 pm

Hey IWC you've moved have you got your open fire going yet?

les taylor

Postby Bullie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:51 pm

Today I have my bottles on display in a big bookshelf. But I'm planning for a rebuild to a 'wall-of-whisky'.... :lol:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:24 pm

les taylor wrote:Hey IWC you've moved have you got your open fire going yet?

Yes the big move to the sticks went fairly smoothly :D but we have yet to install a proper fireplace :cry: Lost the run of ourselves and spent way too much on the kitchen :lol: So waiting for our old house to sell and we should be there.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby vitara7 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:46 pm

i add to my collection all the time so putting it in alpabetical order would mean changing everythign everytime i got another bottle.

the way i work it the now is whereever i can find space....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Dan G » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Not really wherever I can find room, but close: 3 or 4 open bottles in the bottom of the china cabinet in the dining room. Usually still in their boxes/cans. No glass in door, so they can't be seen. Convenient because that's where I keep my whisky glasses as well.

The rest is on a shelf in my basement, dark, consistently 55-58 degrees, in no order. Usually a couple of cases of wine and a few bottles of champagne there too.
Dan G

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:31 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I actually had a 3foot wide floor to ceiling glass fronted shelving displaying 60 odd random bottles just for self gratification.

:shock:

Whatever floats your boat....
Deactivated Member

Postby mithril » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:41 am

Currently I display mine as below, in a built-in book case next to my computer. However we're moving at the end of the month so it'll likely either be a bookcase or some of those hidden mounting shelves at the next place as my current display isn't exactly portable.

mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 am

Just in a cupboard in the dining area, away from light, if I had them on display I think I'd be too tempted.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Dan G » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:57 pm

If I started displaying whisky in cabinets or on shelves as some people here discuss, I think my wife might wonder about me being a bit too obsessed with it.

She might also notice how many bottles I have and start questioning my expenditures! As it is, with bottles behind closed doors, no thought about it. She's one of those practical people - can't understand why I would buy another bottle when there's already several unopened in the basement.

But I guess she is allowed to wonder about that, as long as I'm allowed to wonder why she needs another pair of shoes when there are already 40 in the closet...
Dan G

Postby Quaichuser » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:22 am

In glasses....with my friends. :lol:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Whisky display

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:06 pm

Interesting to see how we all choose to store/display our whisky. I was in the Lair this past weekend and it was pointed out that I'd displayed my collection by region, geographically. I hadn't noticed that. :oops:

The Irish, Canadian, American and Japanese are to the west of the main shelves, in a small display cabinet, while the remainder are displayed as they would be found in Scotland, from North to South. Highland Park & the Islands, then Islays on the top shelf, Highlands on the next followed by two shelves of Speysides with Lowlanders on the bottom right shelf. At least I didn't group them by town location, that would be too excessive, even for me!

(So who's the clever boy or girl that wants the address?)

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:49 pm

I voted 3 although I have no collection since I'm not a collector of whisky :wink:

But since I'm seriously behind in drinking I do need to stove away the bottles. Away from light in a cupboard. The open one's are in another cabinet more at hand :P
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby middlecut » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:10 am

As you may see I am running a bit out of space, so I keep some others at the office.
I also try to rotate them as the Aberlours and Glenmorangies are at the back and I like to see them too.

I'll just have to drink faster!
middlecut

Re: Whisky display

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:05 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:...displayed as they would be found in Scotland, from North to South. Highland Park & the Islands, then Islays on the top shelf....

Mr Picky sez Islay is pretty far south. 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:48 am

Under the stairs. Not exactly auspicious. Need to buy a new house., It's just not good enough!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Re: Whisky display

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:55 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:...displayed as they would be found in Scotland, from North to South. Highland Park & the Islands, then Islays on the top shelf....

Mr Picky sez Islay is pretty far south. 8)

Yeah, however, as Islays are generally considered Islands, he's pretty easy to ignore.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:15 am

Well...... you asked.....

It kind of looks like this.......

with the Archive samples and others over here.......

Cheers,
mikeymad

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder