Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How do you Display your collection?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How do you show your collection of whisky?

On display, alphabetically. It's easier to replace them.
4%
On display, by region.
22%
Where-ever I can find room, in the dining hutch, under the stairs, wherever there's room
45%
Hidden away under lock and key for safety.
13%
I drink what I buy so don't waste the space.
5%
It's none of your business.
3%
You have enough to display? What's the address?
7%

Total votes : 130

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:55 am

Nice collection Mikemyad - I can see there's no female touch in the interior design of that room.....

Nice Stax headphone & amp system - and the Grado too :wink:
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:25 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Nice collection Mikemyad - I can see there's no female touch in the interior design of that room.....

Nice Stax headphone & amp system - and the Grado too :wink:

Thanks Mr....
You are correct, that is because it is a corner of 'my' room, that being the garage.

Good eye on the headphones, ah, but you missed the Audio-Technica W5000's on the far right :D

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:48 pm

mithril wrote:.

That's a very nice look. Love seeing the bottles in front of their original boxes!

Well done!! :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:55 pm

I too store my unopened ones in the basement, but my drinking ones are in the pantry.

Just discovered a new place tho. I had a few friends over for a Highland Park HTH and a few miscellaneous others. I was too lazy to put the bottles away that night, so they've been sitting on the dining room table ever since! VERY convenient!! :D :D

We'll see how long before the wife says something... :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:06 pm

I don't have any whisky bottles on open display in my home. I keep most of the (opened and unopened) bottles stored in large containers in my basement. The favourite opened bottles (which are regularly rotated) are discreetly stored in one of the household closets. I was robbed a couple of years ago and all the bottles that I had in my living room glass cabinet were taken, so that is when I decided to hide things from sight.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:42 pm

Wendy wrote:I don't have any whisky bottles on open display in my home. I keep most of the (opened and unopened) bottles stored in large containers in my basement. The favourite opened bottles (which are regularly rotated) are discreetly stored in one of the household closets. I was robbed a couple of years ago and all the bottles that I had in my living room glass cabinet were taken, so that is when I decided to hide things from sight.

Cheers,
Wendy

Oh dear. Did they just target the whisky or did they take other stuff? I always hope that if someone breaks into my house, they won't think to take the whiskey.
Aidan

Postby Jan » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:55 pm

Nice pics - and nice whiskies folks.

Personally I do not use any system - whatever looks good at the time I guess.

I use a cupboard and some shelves to store what can't fit into the cupboard - looks like this:

Image[/img]
Last edited by Jan on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:11 pm

Hi John,
They took a number of things that is to be expected like my computer, CD's (cleaned us out of all our music!), etc. What will send shudders down your spine was that we were sleeping in our beds when this all took place. I had heard some noise, but thought it was raccoons outside and fell back to sleep. It is a blessing that I didn't get up to investigate and that the perpretrators intent was not to be violent however disarmingly bold they were. I know it was three men, because my neighbour, who is an insominiac, saw them in our back courtyard drinking! She thought they were street people and scared them away. It is a bit of a long story which I won't get into, but in their "rush" a bottle of 12 yo Old Pulteney was left in the courtyard which the police dusted for fingerprints. One good fingerprint was lifted which really helped the case. I believe 10 bottles in total were stolen. My household insurance paid for the losses, whisky included.

Generally I feel very safe in my neighbourhood and know it was a random act. It just made me reevaluate a few things which led me to store my whisky more discreetly.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:34 pm

Wendy

Of course your health is a lot more important than CDs and whisky. You were as well to sleep through it.

I don't have my whiskey on display, but I think I'll tuck anything that's no open away somewhere safe, just in case.
Aidan

Postby MrAwesome » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:57 pm

`My whisky is stored in an oak cabinet I made with leaded glass doors- just a hobby making the cabinet. I also store the glassware on the two top glass shelves. The unopened bottles and collector ones I store in my office. The wife doesn't like them out for display.
MrAwesome

Postby mithril » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:18 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:
mithril wrote:.

That's a very nice look. Love seeing the bottles in front of their original boxes!

Well done!! :D

Thanks, I agree that if the space is available having the bottles with their packaging is ideal. Unfortunately the shelving most cases isn't space to easily accomodate larger boxes :( That unit pictured above was part of a built-in desk in my old apartment. Since I couldn't take it with me I've been searching for a replacement and it's been difficult since the box for my Glen Garioch 21yr is 14" tall and most bookcases are designed for a 13" spacing. I was going to look at having a custom cabinet build simliar to this one:

but I found this LACK bookcase at IKEA yesterday and at $139 I'm sure it's alot cheaper than commissioning a custom cabinet ;)

Width: 41 3/8 "
Depth: 15 "
Height: 74 3/4 "
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:53 pm

Yeah, but it doesn't come with all those cool vases.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm

mithril wrote:

The dog looks pretty fed up ... you obviously have banned him from the whisky :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby bernstein » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:32 pm

I would like to do it this way all the time

But instead the missus says: "This is enough!"

:wink:
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby mithril » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Yeah, but it doesn't come with all those cool vases.

Perhaps not, but I'd rather have the whisky over the vases anyways ;) My g/f on the other hand.......
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:06 pm

mithril wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Yeah, but it doesn't come with all those cool vases.

Perhaps not, but I'd rather have the whisky over the vases anyways ;) My g/f on the other hand.......

The new Balblairs come in pretty decanter style bottles ;)

Maybe a compromise......
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Mustardhead wrote:The new Balblairs come in pretty decanter style bottles ;)

Maybe a compromise......

So does Glen Ord ... and of course Signatory do decanter style bottles :)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby mithril » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:56 am

Meh, no real compromise is needed as she finds my scotch obsession more amusing than anything else. She just uses it as an excuse to to buy more shoes :roll: Good thing too since neither Balblair or Signatory is available in my part of Canada and the only Glen Ord available is the 30yr @ $350.
mithril
Bronze Member

How to display my collection, now?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:57 am

mithril: Is your hide a sort of dull greyish colour that deflects orc arrows and spears? :D

I have a new problem to contend with, now that we have a new location to store and stage my whisky I'll have to design new shelving. I'm considering tall cabinets with lockable doors, but will have to wait and see what's left in finances after the renovations are complete on the main floor. If anyone has ideas and photos they'd like to share, I'd be interested in seeing them.
Thanks,
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: How to display my collection, now?

Postby mithril » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:mithril: Is your hide a sort of dull greyish colour that deflects orc arrows and spears? :D

Caught the Tolkien reference eh? ;)

Muskrat Portage wrote:I have a new problem to contend with, now that we have a new location to store and stage my whisky I'll have to design new shelving. I'm considering tall cabinets with lockable doors, but will have to wait and see what's left in finances after the renovations are complete on the main floor. If anyone has ideas and photos they'd like to share, I'd be interested in seeing them.
Thanks,
Muskrat

Personally I'd look at modifying the idea of that box shelving I posted above with the vases. 16" tall shelves are more than high enough to accomodate even the tallest packaging box/tube. You could have a unit built that would accomodate 4 or 5 sections plus an additional drawer section on the bottom. Put locking glass doors over the top 4 for safe/secure display and have the bottom drawer section lock like a filing cabinet to store additional stock that you've not opened yet, duplicate bottles, etc.

A 16"x35"x15" shelf section is roughly the same width as a commerical bookcase and could be easily covered by a pair of glass doors. By my calculations that width shelf will display 7-8 bottles with original packaging behind them, so a 35" wide 4 shelf unit would display up to 32 bottles and packaging. Depending on how big your space is you can just add additional units until you've and entire wall unit built. That would be my goal if I had a purpose built study or other space in a place that I owned. Obviously there's not alot of point in investing that kind of money into a rental unit though.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:33 pm

ive got two walk in closets converted in my home for displaying whisky. what i done was to line the walls with the long stips of metal brackets that you can hook shelfs onto, i hae shelfs from floor to celing and running round all the walls in each closet.

there great as you can adjust the heights etc, and if you ever moved home, just unscrew them from the walls and bolt somwhere new.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby mithril » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:48 pm

So I picked up that LACK bookcase from Ikea on the weekend and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. I'll post pics later but I expect that you can comfortably fit 8 bottles w/ packaging per shelf (more w/o packaging) giving space for 40 bottles per unit. At $139 + tax CDN it's going to be hard to beat it from a price/usability perspective.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby mithril » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:07 am

As promised here's the picture. The exterior dimensions are 191cm x 105cm (75" x 41.5") with an internal shelf dimension of 41cm x 95cm x 38cm (16" x 37.5" x 15"). I tested it out this evening and you can actually fit 9 bottles with OE packaging per shelf so 36 bottles is the max capacity of this display. Not a huge amount but more than enough to keep me going for a bit.

mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Pnzrschrck » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:35 am

Display??? I don't...it makes people become currious and longing to taste...which I prefer not, in particular when some swallow it down as if they're all the same (or have my Laga mixed with coke...Arghrghrghr)...
Pnzrschrck

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:04 pm

mithril wrote:As promised here's the picture. The exterior dimensions are 191cm x 105cm (75" x 41.5") with an internal shelf dimension of 41cm x 95cm x 38cm (16" x 37.5" x 15"). I tested it out this evening and you can actually fit 9 bottles with OE packaging per shelf so 36 bottles is the max capacity of this display. Not a huge amount but more than enough to keep me going for a bit.

Don't over fill it mithril it looks great the way it is ....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Scotchio » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:18 pm

At present the minis and open bottles live in the kitchen cupboards. As I have a habit of rebottling as the levels drop they wouldnt make for a very pretty display anyway. It is becoming quite difficult to organise properly, which pleases me immensely.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:05 pm

I chose the last option, so start sending the addresses. :lol:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mithril » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:49 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Don't over fill it mithril it looks great the way it is ....

I tried, but sadly failed ;) Actually I think the perfect number is 7 per shelf but with the top carrying 8 it means I have to either suck it up and finish off a bottle or buy a couple more expressions to balance it out. Decisions, decisions......

Top Shelf:

1. Aberlour a'bunadh, Batch 15
2. Ardbeg 10yr
3. Auchentoshan 17yr Bordeaux Wine Finish
4. Balvenie 10yr Founder's Reserve
5. Benromach Traditional
6. Bowmore 15 Year Mariner
7. Bowmore Dusk
8. Glen Garioch 21yr

Middle Shelf:

1. Glenfiddich 15 yr Solera Reserve
2. Glengoyne 10yr
3. Glenlivet 18yr
4. Glenmorangie Madeira Wood Finish
5. Highland Park 12yr
6. Lagavulin 16yr
7. Laphroaig 10yr (+ 2 reserve bottles as it's now unavailable in BC)

Bottom Shelf:

1. Longmorn 15yr
2. Longrow 14yr
3. Macallan Fine Oak 15yr
4. Old Pulteney 12yr
5. Scapa 14yr
6. Strathisla 12yr
7. Talisker 10yr
Last edited by mithril on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:15 am

Yes I agree 7 per shelf. The top shelf with eight is verging on cluttered but still looks good to me :thumbsup:

7 would be the perfect number ...

Pick a shelf every week and a dram for every day of the week then :wink:
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby LeoDLion » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi to all, first time to post here....
I have a collection of about 25 bottles which I put on top of my little bar. I need to get a picture.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Welcome to the forums LeoDLion. We'd love to see your collection.

:)
les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:29 am

Welcome from me also ... yes try and post a pic ... we are all very nosy here :wink: :lol: :lol:

but it's all a bit of fun too .............
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby mithril » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:38 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:7 would be the perfect number ...

Pick a shelf every week and a dram for every day of the week then :wink:

On the premise that 7 per shelf max is aesthetically best I decided to pick up a couple more bottles and move my glassware and measures onto the shelf as well, no need to have to walk all the way to the kitchen now ;)

Top Shelf

- Aberlour a'bunadh, Batch #15
- anCnoc 12 Year
- Ardbeg 10 Year
- Auchentoshan 17 Year Bordeaux Wine Finish
- Balvenie 10 Year Founders Reserve
- Benromach Traditional
- Bowmore 15 Year Mariner

2nd Shelf

- Bowmore Dusk
- Caol Isla 12 Year
- glassware*
- Glen Garioch 21 Year
- Glenfiddich 15 Year Solera Reserve

3rd Shelf

- Glengoyne 10 Year
- Glenlivert 18 Year
- Glenmorangie Maderia Wood Finish
- Highland Park 12 Year
- Isle of Jura Supersition
- Lagavulin 16 Year
- Laphroaig 10 Year

Bottom Shelf

- Longmorn 15 Year
- Longrow 14 Year
- Macallan Fine Oak 15 Year
- Old Pulteney 12 Year
- Scapa 14 Year
- Strathisla 12 Year
- Talisker 10 Year

* Belfour 'Bistro' ISO Taster & Glencairn Glasses
mithril
Bronze Member

New display

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:01 am

Having moved into new digs, I've acquired some "cast-off" display shelves that used to sit in our family room. Once I've finished installing the kitchen counters and sink, I'll be allowed to start working on my whisky lair again.

The cabinets are great as they have glass doors on three shelves, for display and a lower solid door for the more valuable items.

Nice to be almost back to the forums and to enjoying whisky again. Both will hopefully be on a regular basis. By the by, the renovated house looks great. well worth all the effort to upgrade it.

I ache, though, all over.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: New display

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:54 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
I ache, though, all over.
Muskrat

And you know the cure for aching all over - don't you???

More whisky!!! :thumbsup:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder