Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Type of glass?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What type of glass do you regularly use?

Small whisky glass with marks for precise dilution
16%
Brandy snifter or other large tulip-shaped recepticle
59%
Straight cut tumbler
13%
shot glass
2%
Anything will do! Just fill it up!
5%
Straight from the bottle baby!
5%

Total votes : 123

Type of glass?

Postby sparky » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:52 am

I use a medium sized brandy glass that I like because it has a good swirl-factor and requires a steep sipping angle that forces me to take it easy, but I was thinking of getting one of those little tiny glasses (like the ones that recommended by whiskymag and other web sites).
sparky

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:20 am

Personally I would have liked to have seen a couple more specific whisky glasses listed on this poll which would have made it much more interesting (and possible accurate) for me.

In my whisky tastings I use a variety of two glasses:
The Bugatti which has a long stem and a slightly shorter-stemmed version whose name isn't listed on the box, but the actual glass design is very similar.

Commercially, I handle the Glencairn Glass as I like the quality of this one and also its robustness with the dumpy base. The Glencairn fits perfectly into the hand and just "feels right".

When I have a drink at home myself, I have all these three styles of glass, plus a more traditional "tulip" style one.
If I have a few guests at home for a drink, my order of use is 1. Glencairn, 2. Shorter-stemmed version of Bugatti, 3. Bugatti, 4. Tulip.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 am

Just to complete my answer to the poll:

I always use a crystal brandy glass - for cognac
I always use a 2cl / 4cl marked shot glass for measuring drams to be served at my whisky tastings - but never to be drunk from.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:01 pm

I have tried a variety of glasses. I don't like the traditional tasting glasses. I think the mouth is to narrow. I like to get a good nose of the whisky when I drink it.

Sometimes I use port-glasses for tasting. They have much the same shape as the whisky tasting glasses, but a bit more volume and a wider mouth.

But most often I drink from Riedel's whisky glasses. I think they are great for whisky. You can see them here: http://www.riedel.com/website/english/frameset/homeenglish/collections/riedel_collections/vinum/vinum.html. The second glass from the right.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Rudy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:00 pm

I always have a tulip shaped glass on a stem.
Actually different models, but never did glasses HTH.
Never noticed differences anyway.
On business trips I always pack the Glencairn glass as it comes with a carton box and has no fragile stem that could break.
Rudy
Rudy
Bronze Member

Whisky glass

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:39 am

Sparky:
I have one as described glass with marks that I use for personal dramming, a gift from my wife at Christmas. Otherwise I have some stemless whisky tasting glasses that I picked up in Winnipeg for an intimate group tasting. For bigger tastings we borrow glasses from the Scottish society like sherry copitas.

In foreign territory, (someone else' house) anything that doesn't seep liquid will do.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:20 pm

I have some different types of glasses but they all are kind of tulip shaped
My favouritt glass would be "the malt whiskies of scotland" thats what it says on the foot.
another favouritt is the glass from campbeltown it`s like a glencairn glass only smaller .
Here is a picture of the singel malt glass
Well I`m trying to get a picture in here but this is not my strong side so I`ll have to tell you where to find them http://www.scotchwhisky.com :)
[/img][/url]
Last edited by Ann-Helen on Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:45 pm

I voted "Straight from the bottle baby!" cause the Glencairn glass isn't listed. I like to be funny sometimes, sarcastic too. But I almost always use the Glencairn, or a proper nosing glass.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:53 pm

I have a collection of shot glasses, glencairns, brandy snifters, etc.
I've also been known to drink my liquor from an old fruit jar!
....so Anything will do! Just fill it up! :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:23 pm

Tends to be the glencairn Glass or a stemmed tulip glass. I have quite a collection of glasses. So for instance its nice to drink Ardbeg from an Ardbeg glass, or a Bruichladdich from a Bruichladdich glass.

I like to ask my guests do they have any idea what they are drinking. The clue is its written on the glass. Its amazing how many people don't notice.

:)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:33 pm

les taylor wrote:....... The clue is its written on the glass. Its amazing how many people don't notice.

:)

I wonder how many people don't notice the engraved "Glencairn" on the bottom of the glass which best shows when the glass is standing on a table?
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:58 pm

These are the glasses I mostly use in order of preference.

I use the Glencairn for everyday use and the middle one mainly for nosing and sometimes use the last one for nosing also.

Image Image Image
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:19 pm

IWC - isn't the Otard snifter exactly the same as the Glenmorangie/Ardbeg snifter?
Mr Fjeld

Postby lbacha » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:30 pm

Yes I have the Ardbeg one and it is the same, the Ardbeg/Glenmorangie one comes with a little glass cap to hold the fumes in. I bought a few cases of them while I was in Europe because they were cheap (unmarked ones that is) and they make good glasses for doing tastings with.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Ah thanks lbacha! I bought four from the Ardbeg webshop and thought they looked similar. I haven't used mine yet, they look great though - but fragile?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Dan G » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:08 pm

There's no other category! First one or two pours of a new-to-me whisky go into a Glencairn glass, a souvenir from the Edinburgh Tattoo. As this is supposed to be the ultimate 'tasting' glass, I use it first. Next I might use a Reidel single malt glass, but not always. I use both of these as a tasting/sniffing/examining...glasses.

After that, once I have a feel for the whisky and just want to enjoy it (so, really, the vast majority - 600 + mls - of each bottle) I use a glass that Bruichladdich was giving away a few years ago in the 15yo cans. Sort of a tulip shaped tumbler that fits perfectly into my hand.
Dan G

Postby lbacha » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:32 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Ah thanks lbacha! I bought four from the Ardbeg webshop and thought they looked similar. I haven't used mine yet, they look great though - but fragile?

I bought mine bulk from a restaurant supplier so I'm not all that concerned about them breaking, I will say that the bar in the Netherlands that got me started on whisky used them and I never saw one break in 6 months of regular patronage there. I figure the bar test is as good as a glass is going to get.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:42 am

I liked Glencairns for a while, then preferred a snifter bequeathed to me when Ron moved west. The large bowl seemed best suited to accumulating aromas. Lately I have been using a tulip similar to the Glenmorangie/Ardbeg ones, a bit wider and heavier. It's easier than either of the others for handwarming. I can't for the life of me remember where I got it. I'm thinking of trying to find some mini-snifters.
Deactivated Member

Postby mithril » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:32 am

I've been alternating between the Glencairn and a copita shaped glass called a "Belfor Bistro Taster" that I discovered in a local crystal shop. It's got a heavier cut and feel to it that most stemmed crystal and seems to do just as nice a job at aroma channelling. The Glencairn is better for hand warming bu the Belfor is better for checking colour and whatnot.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:05 am

Glencairn most of the time. At tastings I use sherry copitas such as those in irishwhiskeychaser's pictures.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 pm

Hopefully Mr. Picky and Mr. T will concur that this is the appropriate place to mention in an un-stumbling kind of way that somewhere I recently read that Malt Maniacs were doing a "best glass test". I look forward to reading the results.

(I even think it was Lawrence who mentioned it here on the forum somewhere).

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:04 pm

Glencairn for me too - always.
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 am

Glencairn for me as well.

I have collected many different shaped glasses over the years, some purchased, some freebies, but it is the Glencairn that I prefer.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:15 pm

The Glencarn glass is my first choice. At home i always drink my whisky out of a Glencairn glass even though i have a cupboard full of expensive glass i have acquired over the years.

Mark
Mark

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:00 pm

Riedel. The glencairn glass doesn't have the lip. It's (the Riedel) extremely fragile though. Extremely fragile. I think this scares most people away from this glass.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:21 am

I always use the Glencairn, rarely a proper nosing glass. But that Glencairn glass is damn durable too, as it's taken a bit of a beating, falling in the sink.
Di Blasi

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:16 am

As Di B points out the glencairn glasses can take somewhat of a beating. Riedel won't suffer any sort of abuse at all, nor negligence.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:35 am

Di Blasi wrote:I always use the Glencairn, rarely a proper nosing glass. But that Glencairn glass is damn durable too, as it's taken a bit of a beating, falling in the sink.

I had 5 for about two years, and just broke on finally, which for me is a record.

Great glasses.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:44 am

We have several Glencairn glasses Non of us likes them .
They don`t fit my hand if you know what I mean :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby middlecut » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:12 am

I have also collected a few glasses from different distilleries. I usually use one of these on a stem but it has no specific measurement markings but usually an engraved logo of the distillery.

I also collected the little short square shot glasses from the islay distilleries but they are just for show as you can't get a good nose when you are drinking.

in a local drinks store I picked up 8 nice whisky glasses on stems (not engraved) with the little hats on.. these I use when I have friends over for tasings. The hats look cool and keep the flavour in if I set up 6 or so glasses for comparison but once the hats are off its.... hats off to the whisky and we rarely put tham back on!
middlecut

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:16 pm

Always the Glencairn for me. I have nearly twenty of the darn things. They just will not break!!! They make great presents though, even if they do have the Tullibardine Distillery logo or Whisky Live slapped all over them :lol: :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

I like the Glencairn glass (C) most, with the MJ glass (D) as close second.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Lexvo I have to have a set of those "D" glasses. They are just gorgeous and the way my bejewelled hands would refract the light as I raise a glass such as that to my lips would create such a magnificent visual display!!
What are they, and where can I order some?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:36 pm

Elagabalus wrote:Lexvo I have to have a set of those "D" glasses. They are just gorgeous and the way my bejewelled hands would refract the light as I raise a glass such as that to my lips would create such a magnificent visual display!!
What are they, and where can I order some?

Type "D" is the Michael Jackson glass. I coincidentally saw one at my local store. The wide opening is great for the nose BTW.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:28 pm

I recently picked up a couple of Spiegelaus. I plan to do a little blind nosing between that and the Riedel's to see if the tulip shape really does make a difference.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder