Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Type of glass?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What type of glass do you regularly use?

Small whisky glass with marks for precise dilution
17%
Brandy snifter or other large tulip-shaped recepticle
59%
Straight cut tumbler
13%
shot glass
2%
Anything will do! Just fill it up!
5%
Straight from the bottle baby!
5%

Total votes : 126

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:17 pm

peergynt323 wrote:I recently picked up a couple of Spiegelaus. I plan to do a little blind nosing between that and the Riedel's to see if the tulip shape really does make a difference.

I've got the Spiegelau single malt snifters myself. In my opinion they are quite good but compared to the Glencairns I would say they suffer from having a too large copita. I've got the Riedels too but they are now purely a decorative item in the bar cabinet. Personally I prefer the Glencairns and haven't looked back after I got them.

Please let us know what you think Peergynt?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:26 am

glass A; I have exatly these in my kitchen the kids drink milk out of them.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Glass preference

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:32 pm

I use a Czech glass made by Bohemian Crystal, the pattern is the Florence (Belfor) whisky glass. I pick them up at the Rob Mcintosh display in Sears around Christmas. It's the only time I seem to find them. The closest example would be "D" without the long stem.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:42 pm

I like many others prefer the Glencairn glass for everyday use. I also use it for nosing and tasting, but not always.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:59 am

The brachyonus rotifer. Nice, although the serrated lip takes some getting used to.

Deactivated Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:07 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:The brachyonus rotifer. Nice, although the serrated lip takes some getting used to.

:D Nice "tumbler", but if memory serves me right, the Brachynos does not hold much whisky...

I have to update my own post on this thread. Since my last post, I have purchased a few Glencairn glasses, and I just love them! Specially since I have started to take tasting notes whenever I try I new whisky. I have not used my Riedel glasses after I got the Glencairn.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:51 am

Glencairn glasses are my everyday glass (they take the abuse). I have oodles of them... and they are great to "cuddle" with...

For our club tastings we use the ISO Tasting glasses and they work great (have the advantage of being easier to "hand warm").

I also like the "B" and "D" glasses from lexvo's pic - and I have an Ardbeg glass that best resembles "B"... I'm just too afraid to use it everyday (fear of breaking it)...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:18 pm

I have a couple of the Glencairn glasses which, as many have noted, are very sturdy and take a lot of punishment. My glass of choice at the moment, however, is a tulip-shaped Moscadello Vendemmia Tardiva by DaVinci Crystal. Yes! I know it is a wine glass, but with with its long, elegant stem and wonderfully-structured lip the whisky just flows beautifully into the mouth as one is scenting the whisky. Purists will probably say that it should be narrower at the top for a proper snifting glass for whisky, but the way it delivers the goods on the tongue more than makes up for its deficiency as a snifting glass. Besides this glass more easily accomodates my fat head. :)
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:35 pm

That would be this:

Funny, I recently bought a similarly-shaped glass, a little broader and with a short stem. A liquor-store cheapie. I like it quite a bit.

Like I really need more glasses.... :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby sparky » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:25 am

Can you believe that after all of this great info I still am using the same old brandy glass? Recently I switched to using port glasses because I like the form factor. But, the real reason is that I just can't find a decent "Whisky" glass. Every time I am near a store that sells any kind of glassware I go sniffing for a "Whisky" glass but I can't find one. The port glasses are easy to come by -- IKEA carries them. When are those IKEA folks going to wise up and offer a proper whisky glass?

So far it sounds like the Glencairn is the best bet, especially as I am apt to knocking my glass over from time to time. Anyone know where I can get one?
sparky

Postby les taylor » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:10 am

Hi Sparky Whisky mag sells them as do LFWand Royal Mile Whiskies. I'm sure some of our friends your side of the pond could advice you as to getting them locally to you.

:)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:27 pm

Lawrence will give you one if you attend the Victoria Whisky Festival in January.
Deactivated Member

Postby LeoDLion » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:42 pm

I also have an ardbeg nosing glass but I never use it. I like a regular scotch glass, straight and cylindrical, about 3 1/2 inches tall and 3 inches wide. I think I am describing the lexvo (A) glass. And I have a set of these so whatever I grab from the cupboard is fine. I dont like heavy ornate scotch glasses. Pardon me but the nosing glass I think is too dainty.
Last edited by LeoDLion on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:50 pm

I bought a few funny glasses from distillers like Talisker or Bruichladdich as well. I have a few lidded Ardbegs but my favs still are the Glencairn type. Sturdy and beautiful imho.. !
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby bond » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:04 pm

While this is a Whisky forum and most of us will be more than particular about glassware etc, its strange that glassware is not too important to the average whisky drinker.

In these parts of the world, almost everybody drinks from a tumbler. I noticed the same in London pubs too. One is often dismissed as being overly snobbish when suggesting people shift to tulip shaped glasses.

Strangely, I have never found anyone drinking wine in a whisky glass. Wonder why "snobbery" in wine is par for the course but the same rules do not apply to whisky.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:25 pm

I think it's simply that most people think the tumbler is the appropriate glass. When you make a point of contradicting the conventional wisdom, you will be regarded as either a heathen or a snob. One should face such criticisms with good humor and confidence, without arrogance--"I know what I like" rather than "I'm right and you're wrong".

I've never had any trouble asking for a snifter at a bar. In fact, on several occasions, I've noticed other customers following suit after seeing me order.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Mr T you're such a trend setter, a leader of men.

:)
les taylor

Postby mithril » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:14 pm

sparky wrote:Can you believe that after all of this great info I still am using the same old brandy glass? Recently I switched to using port glasses because I like the form factor. But, the real reason is that I just can't find a decent "Whisky" glass. Every time I am near a store that sells any kind of glassware I go sniffing for a "Whisky" glass but I can't find one. The port glasses are easy to come by -- IKEA carries them. When are those IKEA folks going to wise up and offer a proper whisky glass?

So far it sounds like the Glencairn is the best bet, especially as I am apt to knocking my glass over from time to time. Anyone know where I can get one?

The Strath over in Victoria carries them and there's also now a CDN distributor for Glencairn Crystal but as I recall his prices were actually a good bit more than ordering the 6 pack from RoyalMile Whiskies and paying the shipping. I took the RoyalMile route last year and the total was £33.98 which works out to about $72CDN at current exchange rates (plus whatever your credit card company charges for foreign currency).
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby bond » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:12 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I think it's simply that most people think the tumbler is the appropriate glass. When you make a point of contradicting the conventional wisdom, you will be regarded as either a heathen or a snob. One should face such criticisms with good humor and confidence, without arrogance--"I know what I like" rather than "I'm right and you're wrong".

Oh no doubts on that. The point I was making is that the purveyors of wine seem to have done a better job of propagating glassware and other preferred accompaniments than the whisky world has.
bond
Gold Member

Postby mithril » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:28 am

mithril wrote:
sparky wrote:Can you believe that after all of this great info I still am using the same old brandy glass? Recently I switched to using port glasses because I like the form factor. But, the real reason is that I just can't find a decent "Whisky" glass. Every time I am near a store that sells any kind of glassware I go sniffing for a "Whisky" glass but I can't find one. The port glasses are easy to come by -- IKEA carries them. When are those IKEA folks going to wise up and offer a proper whisky glass?

The Strath over in Victoria carries them and there's also now a CDN distributor for Glencairn Crystal but as I recall his prices were actually a good bit more than ordering the 6 pack from RoyalMile Whiskies and paying the shipping. I took the RoyalMile route last year and the total was £33.98 which works out to about $72CDN at current exchange rates (plus whatever your credit card company charges for foreign currency).

The CDN Glencairn distributor is WhiskyGlass.ca and their pricing on 6 glasses is $81 + $12 shipping + GST for a grand total of $98.58 CDN. It's a good $20 cheaper to order from Edinburgh and have them shipped across to Vancouver, rather loopy if you ask me. The only advantage to ordering from the CDN distributor is they are naked glass whereas the RoyalMile glasses are etched with RMW's logo (not sure if you care but I prefer no etching). WhiskyGlass.ca also carries the copita made by Glencairn for $10/ea but since you've already got a bunch from Ikea it's likely not of interest. If you do want more copita's, since you're in Vancouver, Herzog Crystal in Park Royal sells Belfour Bistro iso tasting glasses for about $6.95/ea + tax which is my glass of choice.
mithril
Bronze Member

Re: Type of glass?

Postby psr-740 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:55 pm

I use this type of glass.
the taller one for the better whiskeys.
psr-740

Re:

Postby hiccy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:14 am

Crieftan wrote:Always the Glencairn for me. I have nearly twenty of the darn things. They just will not break!!!

Try knocking it off the cabinet with your jacket as you fling it onto the chair back, making sure it falls precisely onto the 10mm spanner you left strategically on the floor. Worked for me! :D

Just as well I have a couple of spares otherwise last night could have gotten messy. :wink:
hiccy

Postby mattbuty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:53 am

I used to use grappa glasses...

Now thanks to whisky live I need never worry about not using the appropriate receptacle again. 8)
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:42 am

is what i use
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:50 am

I've been using a tulip glass (Lexvo's type B) for years.

Hadn't really appreciated the Glencairn until recently, thinking that the chunky base would take longer to warm when first taken from the cupboard, (thus delaying the warming and drinking of the dram, ... tremble ... ).

However in the last few months I have tried the Glencairn and found it to be a splendid glass. Not only does it warm a lot quicker than I thought, but it is a bit wider and allows for better swirling of the dram (wonderful for viscimetrists apparently) and it offers less chance of the glass slipping through anaesthetised fingers. (Not that that has ever happened, but I suppose its theoretically possible :o )

In short I am a convert. I will use a Glencairn whenever possible from now on.

PS It is also more manly than the tulip :smoke:
Willie JJ

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:58 am

mattbuty wrote:I used to use grappa glasses...

Now thanks to whisky live I need never worry about not using the appropriate receptacle again. 8)
Wait until you do an online live tasting with Ganga and Mikey! Then, all your carefully structured preconceptions about having found the right whisky glass, get thrown out the virtual window!

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:16 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
mattbuty wrote:I used to use grappa glasses...

Wait until you do an online live tasting with Ganga and Mikey! Then, all your carefully structured preconceptions about having found the right whisky glass, get thrown out the virtual window!

Muskrat Portage

:D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bongoman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:58 am

I've just purchased a couple of the Riedel O-series spirits glass.

They are the stemless glasses, sort of a cross between a tumbler and a snifter.

I use them for both brandy and whisky.
bongoman

Postby Lawrence » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:59 am

The Glencairn is good, the copitia is a little better and the SMWS glass is very good. I think the Glencairn benefits from a larger dram.

The Riedel is hopeless but ideal for sticky flowers in.

You can read some observations on the subject of glassware at;

http://maltmaniacs.org/malt-103.html
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am

Lawrence wrote:I think the Glencairn benefits from a larger dram.

That'll be why I like it then :thumbsup:
Willie JJ

Postby MacAttack80 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:43 pm

I just got some medium sized Brandy Snifters. I like them due to the fact I can swirl the Whisk(e)y around and get more air to it. What a difference they make :thumbsup:
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby mikeymad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:11 pm

Good call Mac,

And if you move to a large brandy you can blow your head off with some beverages.

Be careful out there.... :o

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby hook55 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:37 am

For me, it's the Riedel Whisky Glass, have not seen many other suitable glasses here. Oh when I just want to drink without tasting I use the Waterford whisky glass. i would add pictures but don't know how to do it yet? :?
hook55
Silver Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:12 pm

It is not easy to find a Glencairn glass where I live, so I use four kind of glass: a Michael Jackson-like glass, a wine balloon, and two tulip-shaped. I think it is very enlightening to try the same whisky by different glasses. I am not sure if there is "the best glass", but I think it depends on which whisky you are drinking.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby mikeymad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:18 pm

laphroaig10_65 wrote: I am not sure if there is "the best glass", but I think it depends on which whisky you are drinking.

That is the best point in the thread... depends.

But it is fun to keep in looking. I tried too new glasses last night, and had a great time at it.

Cheers,
mikeymad

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder