Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Supermarket Single Malt & Bourbon Selections

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which Supermarket offers the best variety Single Malt & Bourbon Ranges

Sainsbury's
33%
Tesco
17%
Asda
No votes
Morrisons
17%
Waitrose
33%
Other (please state)
No votes

Total votes : 6

Supermarket Single Malt & Bourbon Selections

Postby Steve Rush » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:35 pm

More one for the UK members but also interesting to hear how in general supermarkets worldwide stand with regards to the stocking of Single Malts and Bourbons.

I have to say I think UK supermarkets have improved vastly over the last couple of years with regards to what they stock single malt and indeed bourbon wise. Although there is still plenty of room for improvement.

I know each chain and even different stores of the same chain can vary but which store in your own experience offers the greatest variety.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:48 pm

I only get back to the UK infrequently but I agree that the supermarkets have vastly improved their ranges in recent times.

It was only 2 years ago that Morrisons had an initially exclusive offer for the Bruichladdich Rocks and that first bottling was rather excellent.
(Unlike the second - generally available rocks, which was more of a red in colour and not half as good as the first (pale yellow) one!)

When I do get back, I tend to frequent a local Sainsbury and they do seem to have a good selection.

Here in Germany, there is a brand new Edeka in each of two shopping centres that I sometimes use and they also have a very good range of single malts, especially for a German supermarket.

MT
Last edited by Deactivated Member on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Right now I have a choice of Somerfield or Coop - or Engebret's petrol station.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:45 pm

has to be waitrose.

name another supermarket that sells 20yo talikser, rare malts bottlings and OB port ellens....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:58 pm

I find it varies all over the place. Where I live we shop at Sainsbury's in Dunstable for our groceries. Which is the closest to where we live. A Mid size supermarket. Has an Okay range nothing special.

In the other direction Harpenden smaller Sainsbury's with a much better and varied selection. The difference being Harpenden is very upmarket and housing is much more expensive. Hence the selection in the store is better.

Go in to Waitrose in Harpenden. I have never seen anything unusual or that I don't have already, very dissappoiting.

Yet go into Asda or Tesco which seems to appeal more to the masses they always have some really good offers with some bottles being discounted by up to a third.

The moral of the story for me is to shop around all the time. Thats why I love it when someone flags up an offer with the supermarket deals thread.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:10 pm

yes, your right, shop around, but ive never seen a port ellen or anything quality in a supermarket myself apart from the two waitroses in edinburgh, one in comley bank and the other in merchiston.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Yep, Les! like smokey robinson said..."Shop around..."

I plumped for Waitrose. Lucky Vitara in Scotland may get Port Ellen there, we ain't so lucky down sarf England way...but the local Waitrose do stock Ardbeg 10/Compass box Peat Monster/Talsker 18/Lag 16 and 12 (sometimes) / Aberlour a'bunadh etc. so...with lots of Oddbins disappearing tht can't be bad.

...and even our local Asda has a pretty good selection. And SOME Sainsbury's are OK, as you say.

P.S. Looking forward to meeting up in Harpenden on April 21st...not at Sainsbury's but at the Plough and Harrow - for music and a Glen Ord!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder