Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

When having a few (or more) drams, do you usually...

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

stick to one scotch
8%
have 1-2 different types
42%
2-3
19%
3-4
9%
more than 4
6%
almost always have a different scotch no matter how many drams I consume
17%

Total votes : 53

Postby killerwhale » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:19 pm

curious as to the number of different scotches one generally consumes in a given sitting.... I know many have a lot of bottles opened so perhaps many shuffle their flavour profiles for scotches during a sitting... though perhaps dirking one type is popular also....
just curious 8)

opinions are welcome....
killerwhale
Gold Member

2-3 different drams

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:47 pm

Simon:
Good question, I had to think for a few moments about this. I prefer to have 2 to 3 different drams if I'm sitting quietly, enjoying the variety of flavours and nose that each has to offer. Sometimes I'll do a HTH with two different ages or bottlings, otherwise, I generally stay within the same region for the samples I choose.

If doing an organised tasting, then we're talking over 12 different whiskies but that's not how I dram normally, now is it? :D
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:57 pm

Once again, this depends upon what type of evening it is.

If we're talking about an informal evening, then I may just have a single dram or a couple from the same bottle, but there again I may decide to make a comparison of flavours in which I could be sampling 2-3 different ones. But not usually more than that.

If I'm hosting a tasting, then it will usually comprise either 6 or 8 different whiskies but as the host, I would not be drinking during one of these events.

MT
Deactivated Member

Hosting without drinking...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote: ...If I'm hosting a tasting, then it will usually comprise either 6 or 8 different whiskies but as the host, I would not be drinking during one of these events. MT

Really? :shock:
M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:06 pm

MP for MT's tastings he normally has to drive. So He'll have a dram when he gets home.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:11 pm

Yes MP, the tastings are held in Munich and I don't indulge in them as I usually drive. But even if I didn't drive, I think I would still prefer to abstain as the host and see others thoroughly enjoying themselves.

For the Gourmet evenings, I do join in and pour myself some shorter measures, but I do like to experience the food and whisky combinations that I would not be able to reproduce later at home.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Dan G » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:31 pm

It really depends on the situation. If I'm drinking whisky with friends, I usually choose something the we all enjoy, and as most of my friends aren't really whisky drinkers, that would probably be a Highland whisky like a Balvenie, Dalwhinnie, etc. So I would stick to one, because not worth having a few bottles out for myself while only pouring one for guest(s) who don't really care that much what they are drinking.

If I'm drinking whisky with friends who are drinking other things, I might switch up, starting with something I really enjoy but as the night progresses, and I get a little tipsy, pull out whatever bottle I've been ignoring because it wasn't that interesting. At that point, the result of drinking becomes more important than the process.

More often than not, regardless of which scenario above, I probably switch to beer after a couple drams anyway - easier to control intake!

Alone, depends on the mood - some evenings are for sampling, some for savoring and really getting to know a malt.
Dan G

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:29 pm

It depends....

A session of sitting around with a few mates reminiscing or concocting some bizarre plan to rule the universe usually happens over one malt.

Other events might require tasting several, or even half a dozen, but they never seem to result in a satisfactory plan to take over the universe, they tend to concentrate more on the whiskies....
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 pm

Mustardhead wrote:It depends....

A session of sitting around with a few mates reminiscing or concocting some bizarre plan to rule the universe usually happens over one malt.

Beautifully put. When the focus of the evening is on the company, I'll stick to one fairly straightforward whisky. If I'm alone watching basketball or a movie, each will be a different dram of something very complex.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm

I ussually don't drink more than 2-3 whisky's in any give sitting unless it is a tasting or a festival (then it's more like 20-30)

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:31 am

On my own it is usually 1 sometimes 2.
When I have friends of a like mind over it can be at least 2 different ones prior to dinner and 1 or 2 more after dinner.

I'm sticking with the "different whiskys" parameter as opposed to the number of drams consumed. That's an entirely different question. :)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:48 am

thanks all for input... :D

since being new to scotch I found myself going with a different one each dram.... was nice to sample different flavours though, will get to know some that I really like by having more than one in the future.... :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:51 am

Normally I have two or three different drams. Perhaps one time in ten, I opt for homogeneity.
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:11 am

thanks Mr.T. :)
interesting how no one has opted for sticking to one scotch in the poll.... in general ofcourse.... seems like most prefer to have a few types in a sitting....
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 am

I usually go for four or more different whiskies in one drinking session. It's nice to experience contrasting flavours but in the last dram of the night is usually a bourbon.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Ann-Helen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:07 am

I have to say when I take a dram at night before going to bed its 1
if me and my husband are enjoying some drams together on the weekend its 3 or 4 different but if we have friends over it can be 10 12 different .
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:17 am

I do a lot of private head to head tastings at home, and usually I have one or two more different as reference. So, 3-4 different drams...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:46 am

I would rarely have more than two drams of a night but they are almost always different unless I'm trying to finish off a nearly empty bottle.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:33 am

Most of the time it's just one, but occasionally it will go up to three.

If I'm doing something like a chocolate and whisky tasting then it could be as many as six, but they will be smaller measures!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:00 pm

As I try to drink whisky as often as I can, I rarely drink more than one a night. Sometimes, especially if I have company, I will drinkt 2 or 3. But i can't remember ever to be drunk on whisky.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:01 pm

I usually only drink every other weekend. My habitual routines require 4-6 different whiskies and maybe a rum or aquevitt.
Mr Fjeld

Postby shoganai » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:03 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Normally I have two or three different drams. Perhaps one time in ten, I opt for homogeneity.

What he said.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:59 am

I rarely have more than two ounces in an evening, and that doesn't leave me much room for more than one or two varieties at a single sitting.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:25 am

excellent posts.... and informative..... :)
I like whisky and enjoy a few different types....
with regards to drinking a little, I will plead the fifth (yes I know it's American though I shall still plead it :lol: )
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:46 am

This just all really depends on how many I'm having. If I'm at home, sure, I may have a few of the same, or 3 or 4 various, but when I'm out, I'll always have different ones, never repeating, as I like to taste things I've never had, and try lots of different ones!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:06 pm

killerwhale wrote:....with regards to drinking a little, I will plead the fifth (yes I know it's American though I shall still plead it :lol: )

Actually, even we've gone metric, kw! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:18 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
killerwhale wrote:....with regards to drinking a little, I will plead the fifth (yes I know it's American though I shall still plead it :lol: )

Not 5th of a gill. Something else. :wink:
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:29 pm

For the record, the fifth amendment to the US constitution is the one that covers the right not to provide evidence against one's self. "Taking the fifth" is widely seen as a tacit admission of guilt.

Now excuse me, I'm going to go plead a 750....
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:37 pm

More often than not I will around 3 different malts if I'm having a few drams just to keep them fresh if ypou know what i mean. I very rarely have just the 1 but sometimes if I'm really enjoying 1 I will rest it anyway so will go for something different for my last one or two. So I voted 2-3 but there have been times that I've had 4-6 in the one night but that is usually while doing tasting notes.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby l'chaim » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:10 pm

I usually have about three or four bottles open at one time, and will rotate through them throughout the week. Usually two drams a night from the same bottle, next night two from a different bottle, etc. If I go more than two, the third will be from a different bottle, however.
l'chaim

Postby Quaichuser » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:49 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:

Using Mr Peabody's Wayback machine..wasn't there a time when a quart bottle was referred to as a Fifth. :?:

So Mr T.. you could actually take the fifth and drink one as well, whereas
KW and I would have been restricted to just drinking one. :lol:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:09 am

whereas
KW and I would have been restricted to just drinking one

unless we repeatedly took the fifth, then we could have more than one.... :lol:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:19 am

You can't take your fifth and drink it, too. :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:09 pm

If I had a lot more bottles open I am sure it would be more than my usual 1-2 different whiskies. I usually start with a non-Kildalton and then end with one of the 3 Kings of Islay.

Unfortunately, I can only plead a 700 here. :cry:
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:29 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote: Unfortunately, I can only plead a 700 here. :cry:

What does this mean???????
Lawrence
Matured cask

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder