Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

St Patrick's Day celebrations

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How do you propose to celebrate St. Patricks' Day on March 17?

Chase all the snakes out of my backyard and then drink Whisky 'til the wee hours.
11%
Get my wife/husband to chase all the snakes out of our backyard and then drink Whisky 'til the wee hours.
No votes
Put on a decent suit and go out to celebrate with whisky and a good dinner.
5%
Sit at home and after a good home cooked meal, dram in his honour.
16%
Celebrate as I see fit with a good bottle of Irish whisky.
21%
Drink green beer at the pub with my mates and get a right good p_ _ _ up going!
No votes
Well, let me tell you....
47%

Total votes : 19

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:40 pm

I've acquired some Irish whisky (Greenore 8 yo) and propose to toast the Patron Saint of Ireland in my own inimicable fashion on March 17. Since Ireland invented whisky, in honour of this inventiveness and to celebrate the day, what do you propose to do to celebrate?
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:46 pm

ahh begorra begorra, can ye not be adding a little option "all of the above, beJaysus"? :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:54 pm

I have a fine bottle of Jameson's Gold in the old drinks cabinet, then the good lady has a lovely drop of Connemara tucked away and if that should mysteriously evaporate before the day comes, then a few Euros down the supermarket or even a little raid into my own stock will soon see it replaced.

Then I'm sure that the other two (four-legged and furry) ladies of the house will be seeing off any little snakes that intrude on the evening...... so I'm sure we'l be managing quite well, thank you very much, begorra begorra.

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Option G, dlúthchara!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:54 pm

Malt Teaser wrote: ahh begorra begorra, can ye not be adding a little option "all of the above, beJaysus"?

...well, let me tell you... :D
M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:04 pm

Does having a cold bottle of Guiness Foreign Export count as other? If it does i'm in.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:47 am

Unfortunately, I'm going to be in Montreal that weekend, and my favored pub there will be intolerably crowded with amateurs. A nice weekend ruined.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:39 am

I have a bottle of peated Connemara specifically bought for the purpose and will partake on the night.

Mainly Malts will be doing a themed tasting on the 22nd as well with G&M. We're going to have an Irish vs Scotch comparison (I think we should do it blind but I don't think Ron is convinced...)
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:44 am

Like the Laddie I also have a Connemara Peated Cask Strength. 60.0%

We won't be doing the comparison though.

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:47 am

I saw somewhere (maybe even Lawrence or somone here on the forum mentioned it) that Malt Maniacs were doing a "best galss test", but as yet I haven't seen the results of their tests.
I look forward to reading their findings.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:37 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:I saw somewhere (maybe even Lawrence or somone here on the forum mentioned it) that Malt Maniacs were doing a "best galss test", but as yet I haven't seen the results of their tests.
I look forward to reading their findings.
MT

See how it is? St Pat's Day is more than a week off yet, and already M-T is stumbling around in the wrong thread!

(We've all been there, M-T.... :wink: )
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:40 pm

Honestly, what can I say other than ...... ooooops ...... sorry everyone. It must be the effect of NOT drinking anything today!

:oops:
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:53 am

Hopefully, I'll be invited to a St Patricks Day party somewhere. I really know if there's one on, but there might be. You'd never know.
Aidan

Postby Ann-Helen » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:13 am

We don`t celebrate St. patricks day .
I`m not even sure I know what it is and why you celebrate it.
Would someone tell me? :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:22 am

St Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. St Patrick's Day (March 17) is a pathetic excuse for non-Irish people to get drunk (especially in the US). Personally, I don't need any such excuse....
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:16 am

Nothing much. I played in an Irish band for a few years, Paddys Night was always very weird, it started off OK then latter on you would always get the drunks demanding 'Whisky In The Jar' or 'Danny Boy' for the umpteenth time. English drunks that is, the Irish drunks still managed to ask politely.

The worst gig ever was in an RAF Officers Mess, I don't think I've ever seen so many drunks on one room, before or since. By drunks I mean drunks, not just tipsy or merry, but almost out of their heads. So it's nice to get the night off now.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:19 pm

I have sympathy with anyone to who doesn't like the Irish. I'm sure the day is a pain in the backside.

The celebrations actually started in the U.S., I believe. It was the Irish in New York or somewhere who used to parade, and the Irish back home copied them.

Anyway, it's a day off work for us, so that's the most important thing.
Aidan

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:46 pm

My gf and I will head into the city to Johnny Foley's to have some steak & potatoes, some guinness and some Irish Whisky.

TH, I see where you're coming from, but why let the stupidity of a few ruin a good holiday?
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Aidan wrote:I have sympathy with anyone to who doesn't like the Irish. I'm sure the day is a pain in the backside.

I have no trouble with real Irish--it's the half-***ed wannabes chugging green Budweiser who are annoying. If one really wishes to celebrate Irish culture, it behooves one to get a little deeper than shamrocks and leprechauns.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:59 pm

peergynt323 wrote:TH, I see where you're coming from, but why let the stupidity of a few ruin a good holiday?

Oh, I wouldn't much care, pg--after all, I can usually avoid it all easily enough, just as I avoid New Year's Eve madness generally. It's just that I will be in Montreal on business that weekend, and I don't get to Montreal as much as I'd like, and I'm annoyed that I won't even be able to set foot in my favorite pub. It's just too crowded, and it isn't any fun in my book. I know it's the one day of the year the bartenders dread.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:00 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Aidan wrote:I have sympathy with anyone to who doesn't like the Irish. I'm sure the day is a pain in the backside.

I have no trouble with real Irish--it's the half-***ed wannabes chugging green Budweiser who are annoying. If one really wishes to celebrate Irish culture, it behooves one to get a little deeper than shamrocks and leprechauns.

We call them Plastic Paddies :wink: :lol:

In all fairness I agree with Paul .... it is one wierd day.

The problem with it is that there are Parades starting as early as 12noon and once it is over everybody piles into a pub. It's grand for a few hours but by 8-9pm everybody is for want of a better word rat arsed :?

I personally don't like the day anymore is it just gets too messy. I enjoy an excuse as well as any man but Paddies Day and New Years Eve I have just given up on.

That is why I voted

Sit at home and after a good home cooked meal, dram in his honour
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Go to Wikipedia to read about St Patrick. He actually was a Welsh man :roll:

Basically attributed to turning Ireland into the Catholic Country it still is today and the begining of what eventully became the Island of 'Saints and Scholars'. This was actually a true term as Ireland became the leading exponant of Catholic teaching for centuries but Rome did not like it too much as the Monks were actually speading the word and set up centres of religious learning when Rome was more interested in Coining it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Wendy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:22 am

I have been invited out to a St. Patrick's Day party and sometime that weekend, (if not sometime this month) I am hoping to fit in an Irish Whisky Tasting at my home with a few special friends which hopefully will include Harry and Frodo.

My great grandmother was born in Northern Ireland in Armagh. I have very vivid memories of her and one thing for certain was that she was very sentimental about Ireland. It was no coincidence (however corny some of you may feel) that her favourite colour was emerald green. At family parties, she would sit at the piano for hours on end accompanied by other family members and their instruments and play Irish ballads until the wee hours of the night. As a little kid, running around with my cousins, it was great fun. She used to love celebrating St. Patrick's Day; I personally don't look at it as a day of drunken madness (although, I agree it is that to many). I think of my great grandmother, Mary Kelly, and her love of Ireland.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:56 am

My own great-grandmother was from Belfast, Wendy, but I never met her. What lovely memories you have. Wherever I am on the day, I'll raise one to Mary Kelly.
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:51 am

Sorry guys, I was wrong, I will be out on March 17th. We are going to see Martyn Joseph at The Stables, Wavendon, he's Welsh so it kinda fits!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Beannachtai na Feile Padraig.
Aidan

Postby les taylor » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:39 pm

Maybe to help with the day Jameson's on at £10 at Asda.

les taylor

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:36 am

Wendy, Frodo, Harry et al:
Glad that many of us are planning some form of celebration of this day. I'm in the throes of a Connemara CS 58.6 abv at present, having enjoyed a Greenore 8 yo; Tyrconnell 40% and a Connemara Peated SM 40% prior.

One more dram and it's off to dreamland.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:01 am

CS.... sounds wonderful!
I had a redbreast 12 at the end of the day and it was wonderful!!!
hopefully it will help chase the snakes out of my dreams!!!!!!! :lol:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 pm

Harry and Frodo joined me at my home for an Irish Whiskey tasting friday night which ran into the wee hours of the next morning being St. Patrick's Day. Because we hadn't had the chance for a get together for quite sometime, our Irish Whiskey tasting session quickly turned into an Irish/Scottish event with Harry adding to the table: PC 5, a sample of Gordon's Blood Tub, an Arran and a couple of Bladnoch's for good measure. It was one of our more "informal" tastings as we reached for bottlings that we hadn't tried before or not in a long time. It was really fun.

With regards to the Irish line-up, these were the offerings:
Redbreast 15 yo, Greenore 8 yo, Tryconnell, Old Bushmills 16 yo, Tullamore Dew Heritage, Jameson (no age statement)

I like them all! But, my favourites of the night (and the only two that were also cracked open by Harry and Frodo) have to be the first two topping the list. The Greenore 8 yo is a lovely, soft grain whiskey. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is exploring grain whiskies.

Cheers,
Wendy

The Happy Campers:

Wendy
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:19 pm

It was a lot of fun. Thanks again for hosting! Those were the only two Irish whiskies I had that night though now I wish I'd had some Jameson as well.

I too find Irish pubs too crazy this time of year. Much better to relax with friends.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:46 am

Yes, it was a great time! Thanks a mil for hosting Wendy!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:52 pm

If Frodo is the guy in the right hand side of the picture, you will have to reread your Lord of the Rings. He looks a lot more like Gimli... :-)

For St. Patrick's day I went to Downpatrick in Northern Ireland. I was there on vacation, and found out that Down is the district where the good Patrick himself spent most of his time. I visited what is believed to be his grave, the cathedral raised in his honor and watched the local parade. For once I did not drink whisky that day, but went for Guinness instead. i hope you can forgive me.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:07 pm

This was my first St. Pattie's Day in SF and will probably be my last. In Orange County my local pub consisted of groups of buddies out drinking guinness, but this was pure drunken madness. I couldn't keep guys off of my gf and we had to leave rather quickly.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Ar, that would make _me_ the dwarf... :D

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:24 pm

Everybody knows you're Hairy.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll