Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wild Turkey

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Preference?

Kentucky Spirit (Single Barrel)
36%
Rare Breed
64%

Total votes : 14

Wild Turkey

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Preference? I've heard both are good. That RB is a little more consistent (6, 8 & 12 year blend). That KS can be fantastic, but a little more of a crap shoot as it's single barrel.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:04 pm

I'd go with the Rare Breed it is a great bourbon and only the old Russel Reserve 10 yr old is a better wild turkey in my opinion. The Kentucky spirit is not bad mind you but I thought the RB was just fantastic.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:42 am

No brainer for me, but in the opposite direction as Len. I find Rare Breed rather ordinary for a 'premium', barrel-proof brand, but think the Kentucky Spirit is exceptional at its best. Granted, it helps that I have a stash of bottles from before issue, bottled in 1994 (KY Spirit was first distributed in 1995). But I've found later issues also quite good.
Still, if you can find either at a reasonable price since both are defunct, my overall preference would be the Wild Turkey 12yo or the Jimmy Russell Tribute.
Deactivated Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:15 am

I suppose I will have to try them both...eventually.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:46 pm

I got the Kentucky Spirit. It's great! It has an interesting complexity to it. It is smooth and light in some places, heavy and oily in others. Streaks of corn and a tobacco-oaky spicy finish. High-class taste to it. Yum.

I'm still intrigued by the Rare Breed, have to try it sometime.

SP
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:21 pm

To not directly answer the question and to prove that i have a tad of oppositional definant disorder mixed with a very loveing, helpful nature, I just love Wild Turkey Rye. It is really outstanding, flavorful, big, spicy whiskey, and only about $17.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:54 pm

Drrich1965,
You are an American, therefore, oppositional defiance is inevitable. I suffer from the same syndrome, as I am also an American. I've heard good things about WT's Rye expression. I might just give it a shot. BTW: You can clearly taste the Rye influence in the WTKS.

SP
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:19 pm

ScotchPalate wrote:I got the Kentucky Spirit. It's great! It has an interesting complexity to it. It is smooth and light in some places, heavy and oily in others. Streaks of corn and a tobacco-oaky spicy finish. High-class taste to it. Yum.

I'm still intrigued by the Rare Breed, have to try it sometime.

SP

Have had nothing from the Wild Turkey stable but your tasting notes make me a wee bit thirsty :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:19 pm

ScotchPalate wrote:Drrich1965,
You are an American, therefore, oppositional defiance is inevitable. I suffer from the same syndrome, as I am also an American. I've heard good things about WT's Rye expression. I might just give it a shot. BTW: You can clearly taste the Rye influence in the WTKS.

SP

Have a bottle of the Saz 18, Summer 2005 version open, and while I certainly identify as a SmS guy still, that is darn good stuff.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 pm

IrishWhiskeychaser,

Is Kentucky Spirit available in your neck of the woods? A great upscale Bourbon (IMHO). However, the standard WT expresions (80 & 101 proof) are good (and economical) everyday Bourbons.

BTW:
Thanks for the advice on my Q&A post regarding Irish whiskey. I believe I'll pick up Black Bush this week, and give it a go. 8)
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:
ScotchPalate wrote:Drrich1965,

SP

Have a bottle of the Saz 18, Summer 2005 version open, and while I certainly identify as a SmS guy still, that is darn good stuff.

I have a bottle of the Fall 2004 open right now and it is great stuff, really opens my friends eyes to Rye whiskey when I let them try it, for some reason rye has a poor following and I think it is a shame, I have a bottle of old Potrero straight rye that is amazing, it is the 62% version. Another good rye is the Jim Beam rye, there are so many and they are so much different than Canadian rye whisky which is what my friends think of when I tell them we are going to try a rye whiskey.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:01 am

ScotchPalate wrote:You are an American, therefore, oppositional defiance is inevitable. I suffer from the same syndrome, as I am also an American.

Not me! :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:34 am

not had either though am waiting on a bottle of rare breed recently ordered.... should be any day now.... :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:05 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
ScotchPalate wrote:You are an American, therefore, oppositional defiance is inevitable. I suffer from the same syndrome, as I am also an American.

Not me! :wink:

Not Me Damn It, you mean :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Killerwhale,
I don't know if you're planning on opening that Rare Breed when it comes in. But, if you are, could you post some tasting notes. I'm very interested.

MrTattieHeid wrote:
ScotchPalate wrote:
You are an American, therefore, oppositional defiance is inevitable. I suffer from the same syndrome, as I am also an American.

Not me!

Tattie, I figured you'd gobble your way into this thread :lol: :lol: . (Oh, that was bad). I'm sure you folks in Mass. must feel very proud, as some say American defiance was born there (Boston Tea Party). I'll drink to that.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby heatmiser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:48 pm

I have a bottle of Rare Breed that has been open for awhile and in my opinion it is better than average bourbon but not outstanding. I haven't had Kentucky Spirit yet...

At the same price point (or less) as Rare Breed I would rather have Elmer T Lee, Buffalo Trace, Old Fitzgerald 12, Van Winkle 10/107, WL Weller Centennial and WL Weller 12.

Now with the price point of Kentucky Spirit, the door opens to my favorite bourbon... Pappy Van Winkle 15
heatmiser

Postby ScotchPalate » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:26 pm

I can't seem to find any Pappy 15 here in AZ. I've found the 20. In fact, it's all over the place. Was the 15 a limited release? Is it all gone?

SP
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby heatmiser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:25 pm

The Pappy 15 is a standard release from Julian Van Winkle. There was a shortage about 1-2 months ago. Maybe you are seeing the results of this. Places in California that normally stock it now have plenty...

BTW - The Pappy 20 is fantastic (although pricey) as well!!!
heatmiser

Postby killerwhale » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:47 am

Killerwhale,
I don't know if you're planning on opening that Rare Breed when it comes in. But, if you are, could you post some tasting notes. I'm very interested.

the bottle is sitting snugly on my shelf atm.... need to finish another whisky before I open Rare Breed, though will post once I do if thread is still about :)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:49 pm

Believe it or not, I actually found a 50ml mini of Rare Breed! I didn't know that they made it. The nose is great, though not as appealing as the Kentucky Spirity), I thought I got a whiff or two of butterscotch. Without doubt, it is one of the more complex Bourbons I've tasted. Lots of flavor developments. Of course, the corn prevails, but it's mixed with wood/spice, and a faint lemon zest flutters about. Some of the tones are subtle, and I haven't picked them all out, yet :) . It is easy drinking for a barrel-proof (cask strength) type whiskey. The Kentucky Spirit (101 Proof/50.5%) actually seems more spirity to me than the Rare Breed. One thing I noticed on the finish, is an old time tobacco flavor that is darker than the tobacco flavors in KS. I will have to pick up a bottle.

Killerwhale has some great tasting notes. I'd contact him if you are interested in RB.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Re: Wild Turkey

Postby talisker10 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:46 pm

I voted for the Rare Breed. I may need to turn in my Glencairn glass, but it's now in my top 5 whiskies. Just fantastic stuff. It need just a splash of water. I think it's every bit as complex and flavorful as many SMS. Kind of reminds me of a Highland Scotch.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby p_elliott » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:35 pm

I know it was not one of of the choices but my favorite WT is just WT 101 you can't beat it with a stick. I drink this most of the time and prefer it to most to more expensive bourbons.
p_elliott

Postby talisker10 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:19 pm

I agree about 101 being very good, especially at $20 a bottle, although the Rare Breed at $36 is still a good deal. I can tell a noticeable upgrade with the RB, so on occasion for me it's worth the extra money.

WT is the most scotch-like of bourbons, complex, spicy, without that overwhelming corn syrup sweetness many bourbons have.
talisker10
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder