Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which Ardbeg to use?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which Ardbeg to replace 17yo?

Ten
20%
Airigh Nam Beist
80%

Total votes : 10

Which Ardbeg to use?

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:00 pm

I'm planning to try the "Difference analysis" from Philip Hills' book "Appreciating Whisky" to train my nose and palate. This involves learning to pick up aromas by comparing the nose of two diffent malts and the difference is the aroma you are looking for. I have procured the recommended malts at reasonable prices:

Macallan 10yo
Glenmorangie 10yo
Bowmore 12yo
Glendronach 12yo

Unfortunately the other recommended malt, as it is an older book, is Ardbeg 17yo. I'm not really willing to shell out the silly money people want for this bottle to complete the exercise.

So, which Ardbeg that I already have would be best suited to replace the 17yo in the exercise? Ten or ANB?
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:16 pm

Neither, the 17 is much lighter on the peat and fruitier than those. The 17 does turn up as a mini on ebay and also appears in the peat pack although again that is slightly different as it is a recent bottling
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:02 pm

The last mini of 17 I saw on Ebay went for more than the price of a full bottle of 10.

I'd use the ANB because it's a little (a lot) less "in your face" than the 10 and more suited to picking out subtleties in the nose. Just my opinion.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Mustardhead wrote:The last mini of 17 I saw on Ebay went for more than the price of a full bottle of 10.

Looks like I should be splitting my peat packs and selling the 17s and Kildaltons separate then.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:21 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:
Mustardhead wrote:The last mini of 17 I saw on Ebay went for more than the price of a full bottle of 10.

Looks like I should be splitting my peat packs and selling the 17s and Kildaltons separate then.
MT[/quote

Mercenary! I'm sure i picked up a mini last year for less than a fiver, it's a good whisky but I'm amazed anyone would pay that kind of money for a mini 17
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:29 pm

I got a couple mini's of 17 tossed into my bag at the Party Source in Kentucky just for buying a couple bottles of whisky, I bet they are wishing they didn't do that now.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:48 am

Beist is closer but in reality all three are very different Ardbegs.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder