Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How do you feel about Peat?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How do you feel about medium to heavily peaty whisky?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:37 pm

I love Peat (Strongly Like)
65%
I like Peat
29%
I hate Peat (Strongly Dislike)
4%
I dislike Peat
2%

Total votes : 48

How do you feel about Peat?

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:37 pm

I just sampled some medium and highly peaty whiskies. I am NOT a peat person. I have heard that you either like peat or you don't.
What do you think?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 pm

I have recently sampled various peaty whiskies but they were each very fdifferent. Some very soft and smooth with fruity undertones but still lots of peat, whilst others were really typical Islay peat monsters.

Personally I like peaty whiskies, but my everyday taste is leaning more towards slightly different whiskies, many of which are wonderfully flowery and lighter Lowlanders.

Each different style has its own time and place in my drinking repertoire.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:46 pm

I really enjoy each "style" of single malt. Over time, what I truely love if balance, Peat AND malty sweetness, Peat AND a good dose of sherry, Maltyness and a hint of port finish, Peat AND Malt AND Sherry and........complexity, balance and grace wins for me..that being said, a good peat monster works for me over a sherry monster...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:52 pm

What are some sherry monsters? Could you give me a list?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:09 pm

Aberlour A'bunadh (!!!)
Macallan Cask Strength
Glenfarclas 105 (not quite as monstrous)

My favorite sherry cask I have open right now is a Mannochmore 13yo by Signatory matured in a South African Sherry Butt. It's malty with burnt carmelized apples that have been drizzled with honey.

There are lots of single sherry cask bottlings of Highland Park around too. I recommend those as well. Very dark and sweet.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:15 pm

I like peat in it's many guisesbut to me it's just another element, there are plenty of exceptional whiskies which are peat free.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:19 pm

I love my peat but as with all things it depends more on the whisky than the actual peat as to whether I like it or not.

I love Laphroaig but still iffy about Ardbeg :roll:

Further I would not consider myself as a peat freak as I also love the other side too and enjoy sherried malts or just smooth malts.

Peat and smoke flavours do change and do influence the whisky but for me if I don't like the whisky well it's the underlying whisky that is at fault and not the peat levels.

Examples of Sherry Monsters are

Aberlour a'bunadh
Bowmore Darkest 15yo
Most Glenfarclas
Macallan Sherry casks
Auchentoshan Three Wood.

and just to confuse the situation Lagavulin DE is both a sherry and peat monster 8)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:21 pm

It depends I don`t like F ex Laphroaig but I do like F ex Ledaig 1972 vintage.
So there were no alternative for me.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Steve Rush » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:07 pm

Though I wouldn't dream of geting into a complex discussion about which malts in particular I prefer, as let's face it the choices are simply too vast. I would say that if I'm not in a mood where I fancy to dram anything specific from another region, I'd usually go for one of the big peaty islays.

As Malt-Teaser briefly touched upon, there is a huge wealth and difference between all the Islay whisky's and I would say that if anyone has tried one that is not to their particular fancy try a different expression or one from a different distillery.

Someone who likes an Ardberg 10 may love or hate a Lagavulin 16 and vise versa. With the likes of Bruichladdich you may have a love and hate relashionship with a few their expressions over the last few years as they have been very varied.

I would also go as far as saying for anyone starting out on the Peat trail and wants a good inexpensive starting ground. Go for one of the finer blends such as the Black bottle. The 8yr is a great dram and the ten is a peice of blend quality in my mind.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby middlecut » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:21 pm

I voted for 'like peat'. In my opinion too much of any one flavour trait seems to drown out the complexity I enjoy. A well balanced whisky wins through for me.

irishwhiskeychaser hit the nail on the head with the Lagavullin DE.... an exellent dram
middlecut

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:44 am

Pete? Never met him...

Not keen on Peat. Love peaty whiskies. :D
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:23 am

Tucked away somewhere I have a great photo of Ben and Peat from Connemara :lol:

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:45 pm

I prefer the other regions marginally, but still love a peaty dram. There are times when nothing else hits the spot.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:46 pm

peat and repeat were sitting on a wall, peat fell off and who was left....repeat...peat and repeat were sitting on a wall........
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:23 am

I like the peat and smoke, my better half doesn't.
Which is great when we go to a tasting. I get her Islay's. :wink:

I am also a big fan a the majority of Highland & Speysiders too.

I concur on the Lagavulin DE. I am never without a bottle in the house.

So many whiskies......so little time. :(
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby l'chaim » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:51 pm

I like whisky. Peated, un-peated, and especially repeated. I usually have at least one bottle of peated whisky in my rotation, which right now consists of Bruichladdich 10, George T. Stagg, and Caol Ila 12. I didn’t have high hopes for the Caol Ila, because it doesn’t seem to be mentioned on this forum very often, but I think it’s excellent.
l'chaim

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:46 pm

l'chaim wrote:I like whisky. Peated, un-peated, and especially repeated. I usually have at least one bottle of peated whisky in my rotation, which right now consists of Bruichladdich 10, George T. Stagg, and Caol Ila 12. I didn’t have high hopes for the Caol Ila, because it doesn’t seem to be mentioned on this forum very often, but I think it’s excellent.

I am a big Caol Ila fan, and usually like to have on open at all times (although not one for the last few weeks). The 12 year old is excellent, but I like to try different indy bottelings just for the variety, and for trading perposes. The 19yo McGibbons Provenence is really nice, and for $50 at binnys. My next one to open will be a cask strengts G & M 8 or G and M 10. I have yet to try a one in the 20 plus year old range, of the ten or so I have had. If you like the oily mouth feel (and some do not), then they are great.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:39 pm

I would love to try different expressions of the Caol Ila, especially the CS as that’s where my tastes tend to gravitate, and also the IB’s. However, my selection is extremely limited up here in the ‘North Country’. I happened to find this bottle when I was in Syracuse to see BB King a couple of weeks ago. I also bought a Bruichladdich Infinity and a Sazarac rye while there, along with the aforementioned GT Stagg (which I’m a-sippin’ on now).
l'chaim

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:47 am

If peat is a whisky's chief flavor or sensation -- as is often the case in younger, peated whiskies -- then I'll pass (I don't eat dirt, either).
However, I find that when it is one more of many flavors in an older, more complex flavor package (i.e., a 24yo Port Ellen, or 32yo Bowmore), it often is a desireable element.
Deactivated Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:59 pm

then I'll pass (I don't eat dirt, either).

LOL
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:09 pm

For your nasy diry haters...listen and learn

http://www.bananaslugstringband.com/sound/DirtMML.mp3

CHORUS:
Dirt made my lunch,
Dirt made my lunch.
Thank you Dirt, thanks a bunch,
For my salad, my sandwich
My milk and my munch 'cause
Dirt, you made my lunch.

Dirt is a word that we often use,
When we're talkin' about the earth beneath our shoes.
It's a place where plants can sink their toes;
In a little while a garden grows.

CHORUS

A farmer's plow will tickle the ground,
You know the earth has laughed when wheat is found.
The grain is taken and flour is ground,
For making a sandwich to munch on down.

CHORUS

A stubby green beard grows upon the land,
Out of the soil the grass will stand.
But under hoof it must bow,
For making milk by way of a cow.

CHORUS :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby middlecut » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:42 am

Well I can happily say there's no dirt in this one!
I finally got round to profiling the Lagavullin DE 1989 and her are my results. (click the pic)

And what a way to finish a great evening!

Happy Drammin'
middlecut

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:27 am

Yes, Middlecut,the Lag DE!!

My dad's initials as it happens...still dramming at 88!

he dropped in 5 years ago(He lives in Switzerland) and he , my neighbour and i pooled our resources. We stopped at Oddbins on the way from the airport and he bought me a Balvenie 12 and an /Ardbeg 10. the neighbour brought HP12 and Dalmore...between us we sampled 13 malts and were still sitting upright.

the winner? lag DE (1984) with Mac allan 18,(Also 1984)a close second.

there has always been an Ardbeg 10 open in this house over the last 4 years...

Right now i'm sipping a Tallisker 18.

Peat??? I say Brrring it on!!!!

P.S. l'chaim wrote: "I was in Syracuse to see BB King a couple of weeks ago. "

Lucky you! missed his swansong tour here. I was just writing a tune to submit for his new album beore I sat down at the Mac! it's themed around new orleans i believe...

P.P.S Thumbs up to peat for sure, but it's hard to find a whisky i hate...
If a blend is all that's on offer, gimme a bog standard Blackbush, or a JW Black.

Ah, but i reckon the JW red is peatier...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:44 am

Reggaeblues wrote:P.S. l'chaim wrote: "I was in Syracuse to see BB King a couple of weeks ago. "

Lucky you! missed his swansong tour here.

BB was incredible. Maybe the 5th time I’ve seen him, and he never fails to put on an amazing show. At 81 and diabetic, he needed help getting on the stage, but once he sat down he started belting out the tunes and wailing on Lucille. The venue, the Landmark (http://landmarktheatre.org/), is an ornate theater built in 1928 in an ‘Indo-Persian’ style, and the acoustics were superb. Of course he closed with “The Thrill is Gone”. Simply fantastic.

l'chaim

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:38 pm

L'chaim, what an amazing place! I do hope some enterprising top whisky or whiskey co, names a bottling in his honour when he's gone...

These old bluesmen are a dying breed.

I was in SF 10 years ago and hung out and played with John Lee Hooker's daughter Zakiya, which was a LOT of fun. Back in UK I used to get weekly bulletins on the health of the dying Albert collins from Z.s sax player. Apparently BB was one of the last people to visit him...

...and of course John lee left us not so long ago...days after doing his last gig.

They sure leave in style, i must say, bless 'em!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Come to think of it, I'm not a bourbon man(probably appropriate for BB), but I'd happily associate BB with the Talisker 18 I was drinking last night...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:31 pm

I’ve never seen JL Hooker, unfortunately, but I did see Albert Collins a couple of times, what a unique player he was, with that capo on his Tele and all. I try to see as many of the blues guys as I can, nothing like it, and from your name, I’m sure you agree. I also saw Marley a couple of times, but that’s a different story. 8)

As for whisky, the night of the concert I had a Dalmore 12, a Glenmorangie 10 (the waitress called it Glenmalingy and I took a chance) and a Basil Hayden’s. And at the concert itself, a Magic Hat Ale from Vermont which wasn’t bad even in the big plastic cup they served it in.
l'chaim

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:09 pm

Freddie King...saw him 3 times as a youngster. Still my favourite among favourites.

D'you know BB's album "Blues Summit" where he lets Albert C take over Stormy monday in fine style? Maye he knew something we didn't...

Glenmanlingy eh? sounds kinda...cute! You say you "took a chance". Was that with the Glenmalingy, or the waitress??
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:30 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Glenmanlingy eh? sounds kinda...cute! You say you "took a chance". Was that with the Glenmalingy, or the waitress??

Puh-leeze reggaeblues, my wife was with me. :oops: Actually I asked her if she meant Glenmorangie and she said she thought so, so I figured I’d go for it.

Never saw Freddy King, that must have been a treat. I’ve probably seen Buddy Guy more than any other bluesman, I guess I would have to say he’s my favorite.
l'chaim

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:55 pm

Well, exCUUUSE me!!

Seen buddy guy a few times myself. A friend of mine jammed with him when he was just 15, a few years ago here in London.

Apparently , at the albert Hall gigs with EC some years ago, they had to hide his brandy!

always very playful - a good sense of fun. Great dynamics too, at his best. Standing at the back of the stage playing and singing REAL quiet...teasing the audience...

...like the peat I was surprised to discover on the finish of an aberlour a'bunadh I sampled last night. don't remember it being there before...maybe because the bottle is low and the whisky's accents are changing.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:26 pm

I love PEAT!! I instantly fell in love with it the minute my nose curiously hovered above the Ardbeg Ten! And even before that, whenever I smelled oher peated whiskies, I was always fascinated and curious as to what the hell that smell was, how they made it, and gosh, was it good! Great memories!! Great stuff that Peat!!
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:03 am

I love PEAT!! I instantly fell in love with it the minute my nose curiously hovered above the Ardbeg Ten! And even before that, whenever I smelled oher peated whiskies, I was always fascinated and curious as to what the hell that smell was, how they made it, and gosh, was it good! Great memories!! Great stuff that peat!!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:10 am

Well there's a new one--twins born 37 minutes apart. How'd that happen?
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:21 am

A delayed edit, too many pages opened. Too busy surfing around, posting on lots of topics. Lost, confused, tired, bla bla bla. And damn!! Now I find another typo!! Damnit!
Di Blasi

Postby Photon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 am

Speaking of Bluesmen past...

I saw Stevie Ray on his tour with Jeff Beck. Just blew Beck off the stage. Unreal.

The show I regret missing the most was RL Burnside's last trip thorugh Portland. We had tickets, but we got several inches of snow (which sat on ice out in the boonies where we live), so we bailed.

Oh - to keep this on-topic. The smell and taste of peat reminds me of helping my dad in his greenhouse.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder