Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

My view of sample swapping

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What is your opinion of sample swapping?

It is a great way to try new things
70%
It is my favorite part of the board, making those connections
14%
I cannot be bothered
11%
I don't think samples are worth trying, whole bottle for me only
No votes
I think it is wrong
No votes
I just wish I had more interesting whisky to trade
5%

Total votes : 37

My view of sample swapping

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:26 pm

For me, it has been a wonderful way of trying new things, and has helped me make some very cool whisk(e)y connections. To date, I have tried and enjoyed the experience of tasting 230 malts, in large part due to swapping. I love the anticipation of knowing that something new is arriving shortly, and that my wife and I will be able to tasting things that we may never try again.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:58 pm

It's a great way of making connections/friends and gives you an opportunity to try and to share a huge range of whiskies. It's not the reason i joined the forum but it's certainly a major benefit.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:36 pm

Although this is something I haven't done very much of, I consider it a great idea and way of tasting new drams and making new friends.

But may I ask a question or three of those with more experience than I:
I assume you use some kind of small bottles for sample swapping.
Exactly what do you use?
If the answer is new bottles, how easy are they to come by?
Is it easy to prevent leaks / damages during postage?

Having seen an earlier post about an "online blind tasting", my interest is peaked and I would love to do something like this at some time.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:40 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Although this is something I haven't done very much of, I consider it a great idea and way of tasting new drams and making new friends.

But may I ask a question or three of those with more experience than I:
I assume you use some kind of small bottles for sample swapping.
Exactly what do you use?
Is it easy to prevent leaks / damages during postage?

Having seen an earlier post about an "online blind tasting", my interest is peaked and I would love to do something like this at some time.
MT

You can use old or new bottles. Old bottles can be bleeched, watched with soap, and rinshed til' the cows come home. That is my method. I can assure you there are clean as clean can be. In the US, healthfood stores have plastic and glass sample bottle, 50- 100 mls. I have bought big ones from time to time to give people I swap with a bit extra of something they seem excited about.

Add whisky, close tight. some people add a layer of plastic on top and a ruber band; that seems overkill. If the bottles are glass, a good deal of bubble wrap works well, and is light thus cheap for sending. I have yet to have a problem with leaking.

I also would love to do some on line tastings, or telepone tastings, blind or other wise. Technology expands our opportuntiies for enjoyment of this hobby.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:18 pm

I've simply used 5cl bottles, making sure they are immediately rinsed thoroughly with very hot water and left to air dry before refilling.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:51 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:I assume you use some kind of small bottles for sample swapping.
Exactly what do you use?

I've just recently started exchanging samples with fellow whisky friends here in DK. I am using 100ml bottles with plastic lids, they are very similar to those used for sampling in the whisky industry.
I've ordered them here: http://shop.whiskynyt.dk/
(sorry the web-site is in danish :oops: )
They have 100ml and 260ml, and now also 65ml.

BTW I use the 260ml's for storing remainders of open bottles for later enjoyment.

You can also get similar bottles from Loch Fyne Whiskies: https://www.lfw.co.uk/main.html
Click "Browse & Buy" (twice). Select "Hardware, glasses etc.", and then "Sample Bottles"
They have 10cl, 20cl and 30cl bottles
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:49 am

I've used "alcohol-proof" plastic containers made for laboratory purposes. They are solid and won't brake and work well - and not too expensive. Most providers of medical/laboratory equipment also sell them to ordinary customers.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:27 am

It’s definitely a great way to try new whiskies. For example, I just tried a Longmorn 31yo tonight that I probably wouldn’t have tried if not for swapping. It’s also a way to connect with like minded whisky nuts (which are different from beer nuts :roll: ). The only problem as I see it is the same issue with trying new drams in a bar, that is, sometimes it takes me a while to ‘get to know’ a whisky, and a couple of ounces might not be enough to form a proper judgment. There have been quite a few bottles that when first opened I didn’t care for, but by the last few drams I love.
l'chaim

Re: My view of sample swapping

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:12 pm

I've just received 7 different samples from Randall Fairbrook, thanks!! Luckily the only one that leaked completely was a double he sent "because it is just so damned good!" (His packaging would have evaded bomb/drug sniffing dogs had they been present! Note to US Government: only joking of course!!! Bad joke I know, sorry for that!)
I think this is a great way to taste whiskies before buying a full bottle, and it's also a great way to establish contacts and create a trust and friendliness with other members. It really establishes a real nice, warm sense of camaraderie, I like that.
Di Blasi

Postby Ganga » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Besides the old exchange of sample bottles, I get together with people and the exchange of whiskies is in a glass. The best part about this is the ability to sit down and have a conversation over the dram and/or a meal.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Ganga wrote:Besides the old exchange of sample bottles, I get together with people and the exchange of whiskies is in a glass. The best part about this is the ability to sit down and have a conversation over the dram and/or a meal.

Yes, even better for sure Ganga!! But since some of us are so far away, it kind of brings us closer. I guess the Live Forum Tastings are meant to do just what you say, to "get together with people and the exchange of whiskies is in a glass. The best part about this is the ability to sit down and have a conversation over the dram..."
Di Blasi

Postby r900p » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:07 pm

To do swapping i'd have to have interesting things to swap with, until i earn more i can't afford the try that many things and i'm just happy sticking to what i like. So do you know what you are getting before the bottle arrives, or is it a surprise, i think i'd prefer a surprise.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:23 pm

We told each other what we had available, and we picked from that. Yes surprises are nice, but since this was a first time for me, it was nice to pick things I hadn't tasted before. If it's a regular thing with the same person once or twice a month or something, it is nice to be surprised.
Di Blasi

Postby randall fairbrook » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:53 pm

i am glad you got your stuff di...strange is i sent a friend some books on the same day...she lives in ontario but has yet to get her package...

sorry about the leak...i should have wrapped the tops like you did...

what i did was put them in glass tubes, all in a ziploc bag with styrofoam spacers and coffee beans then in a box inside another box....i am glad the spirit did not leak out of the bag..or did it?

this is a nice way to try stuff before you buy it...but sometimes kinda frustrating if you taste something wonderful that you cannot get where you are...so many things i cannot seem to find around the us that they only sell in the uk....and elsewheres..i hear so much about all different types of ardbeg and i only see about 4 0r 5 diff types around here...

and yes, it is a nice way to make friends!
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:29 pm

Just a simple vote on the pole (I missed it last year).

I like to trade samples.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 pm

The missus glanced at the screen as she was passing and thought I was reading about wife swapping. What's all that about then? :o
Willie JJ

Postby randall fairbrook » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:24 pm

willie.........i have no wife but an unopened bottle of HP5.....
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:32 pm

Seems like a fair swap Randall. You can have her :D
Willie JJ

Postby clicker7 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:19 am

Willie you're bad!

Hope the missus doesn't see your last post you will end up in the doghouse!

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:34 pm

the doghouse ain't so bad, especially with a bottle of pc5
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:26 am

randall fairbrook wrote:i am glad you got your stuff di...strange is i sent a friend some books on the same day...she lives in ontario but has yet to get her package...

sorry about the leak...i should have wrapped the tops like you did...

what i did was put them in glass tubes, all in a ziploc bag with styrofoam spacers and coffee beans then in a box inside another box....i am glad the spirit did not leak out of the bag..or did it?

this is a nice way to try stuff before you buy it...but sometimes kinda frustrating if you taste something wonderful that you cannot get where you are...so many things i cannot seem to find around the us that they only sell in the uk....and elsewheres..i hear so much about all different types of ardbeg and i only see about 4 0r 5 diff types around here...

and yes, it is a nice way to make friends!

The coffee grounds did a great job of soaking up one of the PC5 samples, (lucky it was that one since you sent 2!!) I'm not sure if the ziploc was still sealed, I think it was cause the mess was well contained in it. Even if the bag leaked, there was no way the box would have!
Di Blasi

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:00 am

mmmmmmmmmmmm......coffee flavored pc5.....
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:32 am

clicker7 wrote:Willie you're bad!
Hope the missus doesn't see your last post you will end up in the doghouse!
Joseph

Just kidding Joseph. She's used to me by now and thumps me occasionally just to account for the misdemeanours she hasn't detected. :D

randall fairbrook wrote:mmmmmmmmmmmm......coffee flavored pc5.....

Pity you hadn't used coffee beans Randall. He could have had a morning cup of PC5 flavoured coffee. Mmmmmmmmmm!
Willie JJ

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:51 am

A new definition for morning rocket fuel, PC5 enhanced coffee beans!
Di Blasi

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:55 am

ACEd! (Additional Coffee Enhancement) :thumbsup:
Willie JJ

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:26 pm

Good to see this post revived..I continue to enjoy my trading relationships- I have been able to sample some wonderful whisky (and more lately, whiskey) that I never wound have tried on my without. I have, in the last year, traded samples ranging from 3ml to 4oz. I now have tried malts from all but five distilleries, and plan on buying a bottle of Strathmill over the next couple of months. Right now, Im having being being decadent and having some SMSW 15 year old Bowmore that I recieved from one of your esteemed members. Very floral and perfumy, with some deep peat for balance. Is it my favorite of the 15 Bowmore expressions I have tried? No, a bit too much on the FWP side of things, but trying a new and unique SM is one of lifes great plasures that trading affords me...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder