Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What are your thoughts on "double matured" whisky?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

It is just a cunning way of hiding a bad batch of whisky.
No votes
In general I don’t like it, but for some whiskies it makes an improvement.
6%
Done the right way, it can improve a whisky. I like the diversity it offers.
88%
I love it. All whiskies should be double matured!
No votes
Have no opinion, so why do I bother voting...? :-D
6%

Total votes : 17

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:28 pm

After answering the thread where someone asks for what we drink regularly, I came to reflect on the fact that a disproportionate amount of my favorite whiskies are double matured, namely Lagavullin Distillers Edition, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Auchentoshan Three Wood. What are your thought on this subject?
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:45 pm

I had to go with the "if it's done right...diversity" answer.

I don't know enough about the whole process to have a strong opinion, but anything that improves the final product and creates a wider range of whiskies for me to try is aces in my book.
Last edited by shoganai on Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:47 pm

I like the pratice and can think of two others that are very good; Aberlour 12 DM and Aberlour 16 DM. I also think that this pratice is nothing new, distillers (more correctly blenders ((the people who put together single malt bottlings)) have been doing it for years, they're just recently telling us about it on the label. This should not be mistaken for the current fad of 'finishing'.
Last edited by Lawrence on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:36 pm

Some will say this is meant to "cover" mediocre whisky. My answer is, So? Whisky is put in a barrel to improve it. If one barrel doesn't quite do the job, why not finish it with another? It's the end result that counts. I've had a few whiskies I would have liked to have put in another barrel for a while.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:26 pm

My view is that sometimes it produces excellent results, like the Lagavulin DE or Balvenie Doublewood, or some of the Douglas Laing rum or claret finishes.

Other times it would be a shame to ruin a good whisky by mucking about with it ;)

In other words ... it depends!
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:28 pm

It's worthwhile, I think. Not always, of course.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:12 am

It's all about selling as much distillate to the public as possible. If finishing or double maturing whisky makes it more palatable to the average joe, then all's well and good.
Yeah, there will be some dogs in the pack, but taking the huge number of whiskies out there, you've got to expect a couple of baddies (though not quite of the Ledaig Sherry scale!!)
So I'm in favour of it. If the industry stands still, it is dead in the water. Whisky production has been developing since it was first made on flood plains of the Euphrates and long may it continue to do so.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:03 pm

I voted

'Done the right way, it can improve a whisky. I like the diversity it offers.'

but would not like to see all whiskey double matured. They all have their place.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder