Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is a more remarkable human achievement?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Travelling to the moon
37%
The creation of fine distilled beverages
63%

Total votes : 46

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:50 pm

In your opinion, which is the more impressive use of our enlarged primate brains and opposable thumbs?
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:53 pm

Second option of course. Distilling is per se the most impressive simply because it's something we all can do to at a low cost while sending man to the moon is done at a high cost and only for a few!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:54 pm

i personally get nothing from mans ability in being able to get to the moon, where as i get enjoyment from fine malt whiskies and vodka.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:06 pm

I have to agree with the the last two speakers.

Sending a man to the moon has ment very little for mankind, whatever Mr. Amrstrong claims. It was a small step indeed, for both man and mankind.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:09 pm

kljostad wrote:Sending a man to the moon has ment very little for mankind, whatever Mr. Amrstrong claims. It was a small step indeed, for both man and mankind.

Yeah, but if Earth ever becomes uninhabitable, space travel might be necessary to save the human race.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:43 pm

I believe the greatest achievement in human history was Shane MacGowan getting kicked out of the Pogues for being a drunk.

The other two are apples and oranges, of course. Now if Armstrong could have had a dram of Glenmorangie in the Sea of Tranquility....

***WARNING***
--Repeat Joke!--

He did go to the pub there, but he didn't like it--there was no atmosphere.
Deactivated Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:05 pm

shoganai wrote:
kljostad wrote:Sending a man to the moon has ment very little for mankind, whatever Mr. Amrstrong claims. It was a small step indeed, for both man and mankind.

Yeah, but if Earth ever becomes uninhabitable, space travel might be necessary to save the human race.

Well, at the rate we are going, the planet will be inhabitable before we know it. Since it is the human race that does all this damage to the planet, I don’t think it is such a good idea to for us to spread to other parts of the universe. Lets try to make it right here first. :shock:

Anyway, we will never be able to send large amount of people to other inhabitable planets anyway. The distances are too great, the resources limited and we are not close to finding such a place.

And more importantly: We have no guarantee that we will be able to make whisky on other planets. Will we be able to grow barley there? How will the difference in air pressure impact the distillation process? Do they have oak to make casks on other planets? How will the whisky mature in a different atmosphere? These are important questions, and we need to get answers before we make any plans for evacuating the planet. :D
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:08 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I believe the greatest achievement in human history was Shane MacGowan getting kicked out of the Pogues for being a drunk.

:D

Indeed! How do you get kicked out of an irish drinking band for excessive drinking? That is truly an achievement.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:27 pm

I would go for somewhere in between - moonshine.
Aidan

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:06 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Second option of course. Distilling is per se the most impressive simply because it's something we all can do to at a low cost while sending man to the moon is done at a high cost and only for a few!

Perfectly put Mr Fjeld! Nice one!
Di Blasi

Postby killerwhale » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:13 am

going to the moon represents a very high knowledge base and to get there, mankind would obviously be in a position to 'branch out' from the technology that it would take to go to the moon in the first place..... ie) math, science, medicine, chemistry etc., so I would have to vote going to the moon and think that a beast (man :P ) who could make such a journey to another planet would eventually be able to distill .....

on an individual level, I'm glad the distilling came first! 8)
too few are in a position to go to the moon yet millions can enjoy the products produced from distilling
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 am

The thing is we are still waiting for man to get to the moon. That was just a film studio that Neil and Buzz went to. So the best achievement has to be distilling.

les taylor

Postby killerwhale » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:18 am

les taylor wrote:The thing is we are still waiting for man to get to the moon. That was just a film studio that Neil and Buzz went to. So the best achievement has to be distilling.

I saw that argument and I must admit it looks powerful, however I will say they did indeed go there..... and even if they did not, they certainly have the technology to go there now, it's just a matter of 'will'. So I shall stick to my first post.... :P (but man I love conspiracy theories!!)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:45 am

How about better discovering the world we actually live in instead of heading to the moon?? The earth is covered by 70% water, but yet we have no real idea what's down there!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:02 am

Aidan wrote:I would go for somewhere in between - moonshine.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now if mankind could put a distillery on the moon............ :P
One for the 'Laddie boys to ponder on. Bruichladdich Space series :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:07 am

Crieftan wrote:
Aidan wrote:I would go for somewhere in between - moonshine.

Now if mankind could put a distillery on the moon............ :P
One for the 'Laddie boys to ponder on. Bruichladdich Space series :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about BRUICHLADDICH ROCKETS. :D :D :D
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:16 am

les taylor wrote:
How about BRUICHLADDICH ROCKETS. :D :D :D

Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:23 am

Followed by BRUICHLADDICH SHUTTLE

A limited edition of only 12,000 bottles.

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:28 am

les taylor wrote:Followed by BRUICHLADDICH SHUTTLE

You've taken that too far!

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:41 am

Crieftan wrote:

Sorry :oops:
les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Until they get a decent whiskey bar on the moon I think I'll stick with 'The creation of fine distilled beverages' :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:05 pm

shoganai wrote:

You think going into space is going to change mankind's tendency to f*** up whatever beautiful planet he's given, but forgets to appreciate? I don't think so!

One of our greatest misconceptions is "The Earth Belongs To Us". when in fact "We Belong To The Earth."

So, this Easter Monday, I think I'll open by Ardbeg AT and give thanks for the Water Of Life...especially from this distillery, and for the planet that provided its raw materials...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:44 pm

les taylor wrote:
Crieftan wrote:

Well, I think you are spot on. Is there any distillery with that amount of expressions? Thank God so many of them are top quality! :D
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Bowmore CS limited edition in me hand(and mouth)...

..."Fly me to the moon " in me head!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:32 pm

You mean that video wasn't a fake? :wink:

I can't really choose. Flying to the moon is a great feat in collaboration and focusing of human resources. Distillation of spirits doesn't really take that much brain or thumb power. So I gotta go with the former.

I consider whisky more of an art form. Comparing a great dramming session to a great song or a painting would be a tougher call.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:58 am

kljostad wrote:
les taylor wrote:
Crieftan wrote:

Well, I think you are spot on. Is there any distillery with that amount of expressions? Thank God so many of them are top quality! :D

I'm just waiting for Sir Richard to step in - buy-out (or buy-in to) Bruichladdich and launch a "Virgin Laddie" bottling exclusive to Space Travellers...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:32 am

WestVanDave wrote:
kljostad wrote:
les taylor wrote:
Crieftan wrote:

I'm just waiting for Sir Richard to step in - buy-out (or buy-in to) Bruichladdich and launch a "Virgin Laddie" bottling exclusive to Space Travellers...

It would probably come in a glass case and you get a pair of white gloves to wear so as not to put smudgy prints on the glass. You could not make it up. " Virgin Laddie " at what age statement would that be?

:)
les taylor

Postby Quaichuser » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:30 pm

It's not that I don't think that landing on the moon isn't a wonderful accomplishment.
But many of us here saw them walk on the moon in '69'
nearly 40 years ago now and what have they done there since.
( Apart from littering it with junk.) :x

I voted for the one that has provided more pleasure to more people on this earth over the millenium. :)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:35 am

les taylor wrote:" Virgin Laddie " at what age statement would that be?

None of your business. :shock:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:38 am

Whatever the rights or wrongs of it are, travelling to the Moon is by far the more remarkable achievement. I would give up whisky for life to do it.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Best use of opposable thumbs...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:14 am

The distillation process, as used in whisky creation, is the forebearer of our ability to fly and even reach the moon. The creation of the RP-1 (kerosene) fuel which drove the Saturn V rockets' first stage was by the use of fractional distillation, basically being the heating up of crude oil into fractions (various components) and letting it cool after vapourisation.
The invention of distillation, therefore, is the primary acheivement of mankind using his larger brain and opposable thumbs. Any subsequent actions are merely derivatives of this major invention.
Of course, the development of promethian fire is right up there as well. :D
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53 am

TheLaddie wrote:Whatever the rights or wrongs of it are, travelling to the Moon is by far the more remarkable achievement. I would give up whisky for life to do it.

I bet if you get there you'll want a dram or two to celebrate :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:56 am

Crieftan wrote:
TheLaddie wrote:Whatever the rights or wrongs of it are, travelling to the Moon is by far the more remarkable achievement. I would give up whisky for life to do it.

I bet if you get there you'll want a dram or two to celebrate :lol:

Criefy, Laddie might even decide I wish I hadn't swapped my life of dramming for coming to the moon. It's a terrible place it has no atmosphere.

les taylor

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:59 am

I just remembered a vaguely related story since so many on this forum is into photography.

One of the first guys to walk on the moon took a picture of the other guys on the trip, with the earth in the background. What he called the picture? "Everybody else"...
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Dan G » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:08 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I believe the greatest achievement in human history was Shane MacGowan getting kicked out of the Pogues for being a drunk.

Shane's back with the Pogues - has been for a few years. They do a few gigs every year around St. Pat's day. Saw a tv report about them again this year, and Shane looked and sounded as good as he ever did!

I think the greatest achievement by any one human being is Shane surviving this long. When he finally kicks off, I hope they autopsy him and figure out what was so special that allowed him to function with that level of alcohol and drug consumption.
Dan G

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder