Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Irish Whiskey

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which Irish Whiskey to put on the shelf

Jameson
8%
Jameson 12 Year 1780
25%
Redbreast 12 Year
68%

Total votes : 40

Irish Whiskey

Postby ScotchPalate » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:12 am

So, I've tried some Irish Whiskey. Jameson, Bushmills, Black Bush, Bushmills 10 Single Malt. Of the Bushmills I like Black Bush best, I'm partial to sherry. But I actually preferred Jameson above the Bushmills. Bushmills just seemd a bit too creamy for my taste. I haven't tried Redbrest or Jameson 12 Year (1780), but I've heard good things about them. Unfortunately, I can't find any minis. The Jameson 12 Year 1780 and the Jameson 18 year fly off the shelves at the local liquor stores!
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:36 am

I voted for the Jameson 12. It is fantastic and the price is very reasonable.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:43 am

I get nice smoke from the Jameson 12yo that I don't get from the Redbreast. It's not your typical blend and it's well priced.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 am

I'd go for one of the last two. I voted for Redbreast, but I could easily change my mind.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Which Irish?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:37 pm

ScotchPalate:
I'd be interested to see the outcome of this poll as I've only touched the surface of Irish Whiskey with most of the Cooley offerings. When I've gotten around to trying these three, I'll add to the poll.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:18 am

I have yet to try J12 though Redbreast is a good dram.... was not impressed with standard Jamesons.....
keep reading J12 is very spicey so I keep passing it up.... will have it sometime though :) but Redbreast is definately worth a go.....
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:39 am

KW you should give the Jameson's 12 a go. It really is a class act. In the Uk it's around the £20 mark so it's fairly priced to. I do like the Redbreast but I think the Jameson's 12 just has the edge.

:)
les taylor

Postby IainB » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:44 am

My votes for Redbreast, though the Jameson 12 YO wouldn't be far behind.
I think if you like one you'll probably like the other. The 12YO has a healthy percentage of pot still anyway (75-80%??? Aidan will probably know.)
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:20 pm

I personally would go for the Redbreast 12yo but for this poll I have voted for the 12yo. I think you should go for the 12yo first and then move on to the Redbreast. But in all fairness you will not go wrong with either.

I actually am not a great fan of Jameson Nas and find it a bit coppery or something but with the other 2 you get a softer and smoother influence from the sherry.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:35 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I personally would go for the Redbreast 12yo but for this poll I have voted for the 12yo. I think you should go for the 12yo first and then move on to the Redbreast. But in all fairness you will not go wrong with either.

I actually am not a great fan of Jameson Nas and find it a bit coppery or something but with the other 2 you get a softer and smoother influence from the sherry.

Interesting poll for the boys (and girls) and Midleton, even if it is a small sample size. And I agree on the Jameson NAS - for pub drinking I'd generally go for Powers.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:43 pm

Redbreast 15y
Deactivated Member

Postby IainB » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:45 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Redbreast 15y

Good call! That's the one
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:10 pm

Redbreast 15 is the man......

but it is not widely available out side Germany and virtually impossible to source for the unfortunate guys State side.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:58 pm

Yeah, no Redbreast 15 year available across the pond :(
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:27 pm

I'd love to try a Redbreast 15, but I've never seen it around.

I really enjoy both Jameson 12 and Redbreast 12. Not sure if the Jameson I had was a "1780", but I'm sure it's all good. I voted for Redbreast because I've had it more recently and know exactly how much I like it. But as others have said, you're fine with either.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:51 pm

You'd think with all the Irish Americans over here, they'd make a point to send some RB 15yo. :evil:
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Well, I picked up the Jameson 12 year 1780. Y-U-M!! This is a great whiskey. It is smooth, with some gentle fruitiness and a touch of creaminess (no strong creamy texture/taste like the Bushmills Blends). The finish reveals the sherry influence, a wee bit of spice and some sweet-tart sherry. The finish is medium in length. A great sippin whiskey, that can fit almost any occasion. Of course, it isn't as robust, challenging or complex as a SMW (didn't expect it to be), but no doubt enjoyable. Sometime, I look forward to trying the Pure Pot Still that is Redbreast.
Last edited by ScotchPalate on Thu May 03, 2007 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Redbreast

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:52 am

Now that sounds intriguing. We have Redbreast 12 yo in Ontario, no 15 yo at a price point of $ 38.45 in all cities. The closest source is three hours south in the Fort, however I'm off to Thunder Bay this weeke and will do some browsing in the LC down there.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed May 02, 2007 1:23 pm

ScotchPalate wrote:Well, I picked up the Jameson 12 year 1780. Y-U-M!! This is a great whiskey. ....... Sometime, I look forward to trying the Pure Pot Still that is Redbreast.

Glad you enjoyed it. The J12 is a good base to work off for any further premium Irish Whiskies...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby martin grant » Wed May 02, 2007 3:15 pm

I voted the Jameson 12. A definite improvement over the NAS.
I need to pull my finger out however and get round to trying the Redbreast.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat May 19, 2007 1:19 am

For years I was a Bushmills kind of guy...until a friend gave me a bottle of Redbreast 12. It only shows up occasionally in my neck of the woods but I always make sure I grab one.

Although I had my first taste of the Conamara 12 last night. It got me thinking. :)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat May 19, 2007 2:06 am

Quaichuser wrote:I had my first taste of the Conamara 12 last night. It got me thinking. :)

Thanks for the warning. There are people I definitely wouldn't want to give that to.
Deactivated Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat May 19, 2007 2:20 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Quaichuser wrote:I had my first taste of the Conamara 12 last night. It got me thinking. :)

Thanks for the warning. There are people I definitely wouldn't want to give that to.

I just don't remember what it made me think. :)
See my entry under "What did you drink last night."
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby jruddy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:09 pm

Redbreast 12 is the best I've had. No 15 yo here in Canada... :(
jruddy

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Redbreast 12 for me but my mate insists Bushmills 10 is better? Cant see it myself .What do you think IWC ?
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby Aidan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Jim Murray gives normal Jameson a very high rating, but I think that's because he believes he influenced them into putting more potstill into it.

The Jameson NAS used to have 7 and 8 yr old whiskeys in it, but these days, due to a shortage in stock, it's 6 and 7 yr old whiskey. I think it is an ok whiskey, but nothing special.

Jameson 18 is very good, but too expensive. It may be my favourite regularly available Irish at the moment.

Powers is what I usually have. I think it's just wonderful.
Aidan

Postby Gearóidmuar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:50 am

As a man who drinks whiskey fairly regularly, mostly Irish but some Scotch, and who had drunk most Irish whiskies,

I think that there are 4 really good Irish Whiskies which are reasonably priced.

Tyrconnell Single Malt.
Redbreast
Powers 12 yr old
Jameson 12 yr old. Jameson 12yr old distillery reserve, which can only be bought in the Distillery, is even nicer!

They are all subtly different.

Connemara, which is peated, is lovely when I'm in a certain mood, and other times it does nothing for me.

In cheap whiskey, Paddy is lovely with ice, but only with ice, Powers is good, Jameson ok, Kilbeggan good, Original Bushmills lovely and I don't like Black Bush (I don't like Glenmoreangie either).

In Scotch, I've most liked Lagavullin, Arran, Leapfrog, Glenkinchie and in the cheaper ones, Teachers, the Low Flyer and so on. The Best to my taste though (I suppose because it tastes like irish) is the Macallan.
Gearóidmuar

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:03 am

Dia duit Gearoidmuar

Another Irishman on the forum...

Welcome

John
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:04 am

Gearóidmuar wrote:The Best to my taste though (I suppose because it tastes like irish) is the Macallan.

:o

This is to me a very surprising comparison. Does anyone else think this so?
Deactivated Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:53 am

i'm irish. forgive lack of caps but am temporarily one-handed after an accident.

the top ones are imo redbreast, powers 12yr old, jameson 12yr old, and its "distillery reserve" companion, tyrconnell. in certain moods i like connemara

cheaper ones. paddy with ice is great, ordinary bushmills.

midleton very rare is like laphroaig in that the taste is not great but the after-taste is fab. redbreast otoh has great taste but less after-taste.

gun to the head which one?

powers 12 yr old
Gearóidmuar

Postby bamber » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:19 am

Someone just bought me a bottle of Jameson Gold :) - opened last night.

Had a bottle before and thought it was great, but this one is even better. At the risk of making an a***e of myself I'll say that this one has a lot more sherry influence than the previous bottling I had (this is where I find out it is purely bourbon barrel aged ).

Still got that hint of drying age on it, and bourbon notes from the new wood, but the extra sherry makes it rounder and richer. Wish I had a bottle of the 12yo on the go at the moment as well. Be good to do a head to head, because this one is more similar.

After struggling with my first bottle of Jameson 12yo I now think it is probably the best everyday whisky in the world. As much as I like the Redbreast 12yo, I think the pot still is too full on for an everyday dram.

Jameson 12yo for me.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:05 pm

indeed i agree that at first tasting one may not like jameson 12 yr old. it took me three efforts to like it. it's just different. it's now my general favourite but i like to chop and change and drink scotch too. favourites i've tried in that lagavullen, the macallan, arran
Gearóidmuar

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:45 am

Gearóidmuar wrote:indeed i agree that at first tasting one may not like jameson 12 yr old. it took me three efforts to like it. it's just different. it's now my general favourite but i like to chop and change and drink scotch too. favourites i've tried in that lagavullen, the macallan, arran

Good to see another Irish member, hope you can stick around Gearóid.

There is a few of us lurking around but we can always do with a few more....
irishwhiskeychaser

Re: Irish Whiskey

Postby rdanaitis » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:37 pm

I like the Redbreast 12 year old. Don't usually drink Jameson or Bushmills unless with coffee or at a bar.
I much prefer Green Spot and the Cooly Whiskies: Connemara, Greenore, and Knappogue.
rdanaitis

Re: Irish Whiskey

Postby IainB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:35 pm

rdanaitis wrote:I like the Redbreast 12 year old. Don't usually drink Jameson or Bushmills unless with coffee or at a bar.
I much prefer Green Spot and the Cooly Whiskies: Connemara, Greenore, and Knappogue.

Hi,

Which Knappogues do you drink? I think 93 onwards was made by Bushmills.
IainB
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder