Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

which do you prefer and why?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

which whisky do you prefer and why?

Glenfiddich 18
42%
Glenlivet 18
58%

Total votes : 26

which do you prefer and why?

Postby killerwhale » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:45 am

just curious.... which whisky do you like better and why?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:10 pm

This is a tough one. I enjoy both. Both have a noticeable malt presence. The Glenlivet has some spice to it, not too much mind you, some sherry. It is worth buying. I prefer sherryish flavor of the Glenfiddich and some of the more complex flavors like green apples, cinnamon-nutmeg, and a whiff (just a tiny whiff) of smoke. If you are asking which to buy, the answer is definately both. Pick one and buy, and later on go buy the other. I think it's be nice to have the choice of these two in your cabinet.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby lexvo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:47 pm

Yes, tough one. I prefer the Glenfiddich by a small margin. The Glenlivit is a nice whisky but - for me - sometimes lacks some depth. I would rate the Glenlivet 81 and the Glenfiddich 83.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:49 pm

This is a really tough call. Both whiskies are similar, with fruity grapes, melons and, perhaps, apples; chocolate, malt, and some vanilla. I'm not sure I get much sherry on either of them. I tend not to be good at picking sherry - especially in whiskies that mix sherry and American wood. But to my mind, Glenfiddich Solera Reserve has a more pronounced sherry feel and older Glenlivets are more sherried.

I confess that I tend to associate Glenlivet 18 with BMI airport lounges, so I am used to trying it in sub-optimal conditions. But nevertheless, the quality shines through. On the other hand, I have enjoyed a bottle of the Glenfiddich at home from a Glencairn glass. This makes comparison even harder.

I'd put both of these on a par, but I'd say that Glenlivet as a whisky has more in the tank - other expressions far exceed the 18yo - whereas Glenfiddich is getting about as good as it gets at the 18yo.

I must also declare some interest as I have received extraordinary hospitality at both distilleries during Spirit of Speyside festivals.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Glenfiddich always for me if I only have a choice between the 2... I find both quite different actually ..... and the difference is in the sweet taste ... both are equally sweet but there seems to be something in the Glenlivet that I don't go mad about ???
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:44 pm

I would have the Glenlivet after a light citrus dessert and then follow up with the Glenfiddich and a coffee later in the evening.

:smoke:
Matt2

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:17 am

Neither is among my favorites. But given the choice between the two I would take the Glenfiddich 18 (not the Reserva).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby killerwhale » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:00 am

very close poll.... thanks for input!
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:52 am

Think both are great .... The 'Livet, but the 'Fiddich is great too.

The 'Livet is just at tad less cloying for me. Fresher, easier to drink.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:08 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I find both quite different actually ..... and the difference is in the sweet taste ...

They probably are - I've never had the luxury of tasting them one after the other or even in similar conditions. Just trying to go on memory.
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:41 pm

I've owned both , as gifts. the Glenlevit 18 I remember as not being very willing to give up its secrets, whereas the Genfiddich had me thinking "Pretty good for a glenfiddich..." that old 'fiddich snobbery/brainwash creeping in again!

but i didn't rush out to replace either one. Whereas, when i saw the GF 15 solera on offer a few months back, I grabbed one , and thoroghly enjoyed it.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:24 am

thanks again for input.... very close poll.... 8-7
I wonder what the poll would be for the 15 yr. olds..... :?:
I have a feeling the the 12 yr olds would be a hands down win for the 'Livet'.

:)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:31 am

...I think you're right.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:57 pm

The Glenlivet wins hands down for me at every level. In fact I'd take a Glenlivet 12 every time over the Glenfiddich 12, 15 or 18.

The Glenfiddich 18 is nice as Glenfiddich goes but it really is running out of steam, I think the 40% abv hurts it a lot.

In contrast the Glenlivet 18 is full of flavour and has a lovely weight on the tongue, like a good Aussie Shiraz. The Glenfiddich is the Lambrusco ;)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:08 pm

Glenlivet for me.

les taylor

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:36 am

Glenlivet has lighter more fruity notes, Glenfiddich is deffinately the heavier and touch smoother IMHO. As for my liking, I would leave them both on the shelf. passing them by to find a bottle of Dalwhinnie or Balvenie.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby mikeymad » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:02 am

'fiddich,

Pretty much even at 18yo the Glenlivet still taists of alcohol. Not that this is a bad thing, I just like the other better.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:14 pm

How about scaling "down" and going with the Glenfiddich 15? I know it is not in the pole, but I really am impressed with the balance and depth of this one. As I said elsewhere, I spent a week with the bottle while travling, and loved it. My wife, who normlly only likes Islays (oddly enough for a totlal rookie), really thought it was special when she sampled it blind. Oak, malt, sherry, spices, all well integrated. Also, it can be found very inexpensivly.

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:43 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:How about scaling "down" and going with the Glenfiddich 15? I know it is not in the pole, but I really am impressed with the balance and depth of this one. As I said elsewhere, I spent a week with the bottle while travling, and loved it. My wife, who normlly only likes Islays (oddly enough for a totlal rookie), really thought it was special when she sampled it blind. Oak, malt, sherry, spices, all well integrated. Also, it can be found very inexpensivly.

Rich

Yes, the Glenfiddich 15 is a nice whisky. My wife and I discovered this one as a nice after dinner whisky during our last holiday.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:20 am

Yes, an excellent dram. I've actually made it through 2 Glenfiddich 15s this year! One bought. One gifted. Both lovely. A nice roundness and depth, and relief from the islays that usually frequent my tastebuds...

...and i'm pretty picky when it comes to non-Islays.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:23 am

I agree, the Glenfiddich 15 is a good malt.... I wish it was bottled higher than 40% though.... :?
anyway, thanks all for posts, seems it's a very close poll ....
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:02 am

Between the two that is a very tough call however I lean toward the Glenlivet. Just a touch more luxurious to the my humble tastebuds.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Cam » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:28 pm

No question, it would have to be the 'livet! Guardian protocol and all :).

Cam
Cam

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder