Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cocktail Articles in Whisky Mag, Good or Bad Idea

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Great idea, I want to see an article in every Issue
20%
Good Idea, but I only want to see an Article every 3rd or 4th issue
20%
Okay Idea, but I only want to see an article once every blue moon
31%
Bad Idea, Cocktails don't belong in a Whisky Mag.
29%

Total votes : 35

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:45 am

From a issue brought up in Forum Magazine Like and Dislikes

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93963#93963

I decided to see if the Mag Readers had an opinion.

Thanks you looking
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:53 am

I voted

'Okay Idea, but I only want to see an article once every blue moon'

by the way
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby fishboy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:06 pm

I agree with you IWC.

They have a limited appeal as far as I'm concerned

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:27 pm

I like the idea of there being a cocktail every issue, just a half page or something, perhaps sponsored by a different company each time, with how they feel their spirit, (whisky obviously, or whisky-based spirit!) can be enjoyed differently! Even though I don't drink many cocktails, it's always good in case you have guests over, a change in season, and the mood fits.
Di Blasi

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:37 pm

That maybe a fair point Di Blasi just a small snippet would suffice instead of a full page....

It will be interesting to see how much interest there really is in Cocktails in general though...
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:49 pm

I voted Blue Moon. I guess having a little information now and again is okay. However if I was really interested I would subscribe to Bartender Magazine. That's where I'd get my ideas from. It's not a subscription I'll be taking up any time soon.

I think cocktail people are very different to single malt people.

:o
les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:06 pm

les taylor wrote:I think cocktail people are very different to single malt people.

I totally agree ... the social aspect may be similar in certian demographs but the whisky drinker goes beyond that ...

The only places that I know where Whisky and Cocktails are equal is in certian cool trendy (now/in) bars and 'work in the city' types where both drinks are seen more as a fashion accessory than anything else.

However every pup the length and breath of the country will have whisky drinkers but many will never serve a cocktail ..... closest being smirnoff ice :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Feldrin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:22 am

First of all, I voted for the 'once in every 3th-4th' thingy.

Second, let me jump in to play the devils advocate and defend cocktails, just a bit.

On the social aspect I agree. In a pub or any other place that serves drinks you'd almost never order a cocktail. Perhaps a gin & tonic at most. But what I like about cocktails is making them myself, being able to completely change the taste just by adding a tiny amount of one of the many ingredients.

There's quite some joy in crafting the perfect cocktail for the perfect moment. After a nice and sunny day, in the evening, a gin & tonic is great stuff. A margarita with a salt rim is quite enjoyable at most moments. Yesterday I made a martini and added ½cl more vermouth. Instead of being a perfect mixture between gin and vermouth, the vermouth dominated making it a lot sweeter.

You don't have to stick yourself to what the popular audience made from cocktails. They don't have to be all trendy and stylish; they taste good enough without all the posh around it.

Anyway, I'm not a great devils advocate. Whisky is still miles and miles above cocktails, even if there's whisky in them. Just saying that you're not violating any whisky-drinker-rulers by throwing in a cocktail every once in a while. And you don't have to be in Hollywood to enjoy a good cocktail.
Feldrin

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:41 pm

That's basically why I brought this up ... just to see what's what and who's in agreement or not.... basically is there support for Cocktail articles in the mag or to what degree. And at the monent it is inconclusive. But the lack of interest in this topic maybe another indicator.

I know for instance it is much more popular and a regular thing in the States and nobody blinks an eye lid .... however over here in Ireland all I see is either people poseing with cocktails or trying to get out of their faces :roll:

However that is not the main reason I don't like Cocktails ... in general I just don't like them taste wise, too sweet, and also I like to taste my whiskey ... it's the same with Vodka ... I don't see the point to it as you don't get a whole pile from it by sipping it straight, or else you drown in it cola or some thing which again just does not do it for me. I know I'm wierd :wink:

Gin I think is different as I can tell the differences with gin and Tonic seems to enhance it .... I suppose it is what makes us all different at the end of the day which is great. Life would be very boring and bland otherwise

I'm sure I will have another cocktail before my lifes end but it will never be a regular thing.

Long live the cocktail ... so long as I don't have to drink too many of them :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:29 pm

My initial reaction was to immediately say "Blue Moon", but then as a bar owner I thought again and after reading the above responses, I think I agree with the idea that one per issue in a smaller article would be a reasonable idea.

Maybe I could implement some of these in my bar, especially during a hot Summer when whisky is not so popular.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Feldrin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:18 pm

However that is not the main reason I don't like Cocktails ... in general I just don't like them taste wise, too sweet, and also I like to taste my whiskey ... it's the same with Vodka ... I don't see the point to it as you don't get a whole pile from it by sipping it straight, or else you drown in it cola or some thing which again just does not do it for me. I know I'm wierd

Aye cocktails in general, and then I'm not even talking about the cola-mixtures and such, are often either sweet or sour. The nice thing about making cocktails yourself is that you can adjust the amount of the sweet liqour. I generally like my White Lady with less cointreau then it's supposed to be made for example.

On the subject of whisky and cocktails...I don't quite know. I can imagine them being good but I'd usually not want to 'waste' my whisky, which is generally expensive. I made a 'mizuwari' once, which is basically heavily diluted Famous Grouse with old ice (ice older then 24 hours, it melts at a slower pace thus not dilluting the whisky even further). As I might have said, cocktails are situational. This time I was quite tired, had a long day, and didn't quite want a lot of alcohol. The perfect moment for something simple, low alcohol, yet still firm and tasteful.

Sadly, I don't see much possibility for cocktails to become socially...acceptable in Europe. Bars and pubs just aren't the place for them; posh parties just reinforce the stereotype, youth right now rather wants to be binge drinking; cocktails are often too expensive and making them yourself requires a certain amount of interest, investment and curiosity; whisky drinkers are usually more then content (and rightfully so I might add) with what they're drinking.

I usually have a cocktail before I start with the whisky, or in between a few of them to clean my pallate, especially if I had an Islay and am planning to taste another Islay. It's terrible that it feels almost impossible to rate the second Islay after tasting the first. I'm crazy about the stuff.

And I've been rambling again. I have to stop doing this.
Feldrin

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:59 pm

I don't mind articles about whisky cocktails at all. I don't drink them but I wouldn't mind trying one or more in the future. I can't say I think of cocktails as "whisky" but on warm summer days the idea of cocktail makes sense as it's sometimes too hot to drink single malt (in my opinion) .

I don't care about the socio-cultural value of alcholic beverages at all. I drink whisky, wine, rum and ale and if I tried to fit into a category I would surely fail big time. Bring on the whisky cocktail articles!
Mr Fjeld

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:14 pm

if i wanted to read about cars, id buy a car magazine, if i wanted to read about motorbikes, id buy a motorbike magazine, i feel whisky and cocktails are the same. i want to read about whisky so i buy whisky magazine, i i wanted to read about cocktails, id put on a tight spandex dancing suit and pop down my local retailer and buy a cocktail magazine.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm with the blue moon. The occasional article is ok - but the subject does not really interest me.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:30 pm

I voted 'Great Idea'. Not that I drink cocktails myself, but let's keep the magazine lively and interesting with plenty of variety.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:36 am

Paul A Jellis wrote:I voted 'Great Idea'. Not that I drink cocktails myself, but let's keep the magazine lively and interesting with plenty of variety.

Well said!

There are quite a few readers of this magazine. Not all of them frequents this forum and perhaps many of them aren't as hardcore as some of us. I bet a few of them also enjoy the occasional whisky cocktail. If the mag is only supposed to appeal to single malt maniacs who frown upon blends and cocktails this mag won't last very long.
Mr Fjeld

Postby bond » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:56 am

I do not drink cocktails ever. However, like I voted in a separate poll, we should welcome anything that increases whicky consumption. The battle from wine and so-called "spirits" is a bit too much to counter.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:55 pm

I voted Great Idea

Whisky cocktails are surely a great way to introduce new drinkers to the category.

Sure cocktails can have a pretty poor image - lots of whipped cream, umbrellas and bizarre parrots sticking out of fancy shaped glasses, but things really have moved on. Throughout Britain there is now a plentitude of quality bars offering really good drinks lists. Just like it's great to try new food dishes, I think it's great to try new cocktails now and then. I can only think that those not keen on the whole cocktail culture are stuck in the dark ages. If you don't try and experiment, you'll never learn.

Just ease yourself into your leather armchairs, settle down with your pipe and slippers - I'm off out for some fantastic food and drink :lol:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:02 pm

martin grant wrote:Just ease yourself into your leather armchairs :lol:

Martin some of us are very comfortable in our leather armchairs.

les taylor

Postby martin grant » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 pm

les taylor wrote:

And thats my point Les. To often we can all become very comfortable, just sticking to what we know and like. Surely we should all look to stretch ourselves and try something new or something different. If that involves some muddled mint, than all the better!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:45 pm

les taylor wrote:
martin grant wrote:Just ease yourself into your leather armchairs :lol:

I'm with you Les :thumbsup: nothing wrong in being comfortable

I still waiting for mine though ..... 12-16 weeks order time :shock:

The joys of a new home ..... but at least I don't really have to worry as of yet as I've not organised the fire place either :roll:

It will all hopefully all come togther before the winter though :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Leither » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:39 pm

IWC - some good fireplace/stove ideas here:

http://www.dowlingstoves.com/default.htm
Leither
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:42 pm

Leither wrote:IWC - some good fireplace/stove ideas here:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:21 am

Martin, I have to disagree with you--I don't think cocktails are a good way to introduce drinkers to whisky, and I don't think I'm in the dark ages--just not interested in trendiness. But to each his own. There are several magazines dedicated to mixology, aren't there?

Don't smoke a pipe, but a leather chair sounds nice....
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:46 am

Leither wrote:IWC - some good fireplace/stove ideas here:

Thanks Leither, however I want the whole lord of the manor scene .... you know the type ... one where you can throw a whole hind of beef on a spit and let it roast away :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately space constrictions will probably demote me to a rack of lamb :D
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:10 am

IWC you mean something like this. :-

You can cook some wicked chestnuts on it. The girls like marshmallows as well. Sorry it's a bit dusty It was hidden behind the fireguard and we've not used it for a couple of months. You need a good cast iron backplate as well. It weighs a ton but protects the bricks and and throws heat back into the room.

I hope nobody tries to sell it on ebay. :wink:
les taylor

Postby Quaichuser » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:26 am

This is an expansion of what I wrote under the "magazine likes and dislikes" section

Whisky cocktails are interesting and it may indeed serve as a way to attract new fans.
Apart from a good Rusty Nail (It's always a good way to make a bad bar blend more tolerable) cocktails don't appeal to me. Probably because in my youth, ...and I doubt that I am alone in this,..... I indulged in far too many of them :oops:

When I finally discovered it was the mix that made me ill and hungover I stopped drinking mixed drinks. for the most part.
I still like a well made traditional martini and a G&T is still great hot weather drink. But I limit those to one.
( I'd say one per sitting but then someone would probably tell to stand up so I could drink more. :) )

That said..the denizens of this forum are for the most part, single malt purists. So I guess as long as nobody is making their Rusty Nails and Manhattens with 25yr old Macallan there is room for those who enjoy their cocktails.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:54 pm

Visiting Vinopolis yesterday at the end of the tour we visited the Bombay Sapphire Gin Bar. Very good. Mrs Les had the Pina which is the Gin cocktail with coconut. I had the Rose which is made with masharino cherry ( I probably have spelt that wrong. )

Both very good. The Pina was too sweet for me though.

:)
les taylor

Postby Frodo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:39 am

Would much rather the mag have articles about "world" whiskies (read: other than Scotch) than about cocktails. Not enough about non-scotch whisky in whiskymag IMHO.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Most disappointed to see a complete lack of cocktails in Issue 65.

Disgraceful

:x
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby JWFokker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:40 pm

It's wrong to use any decent whisky for a cocktail. Only low grade stuff like Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort should be relegated to being a mixer and I can't imagine the peaty flavor of a single malt Scotch whisky being a great compliment for any cocktail.
JWFokker

Postby Frodo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:23 am

It's interesting that from a cooking perspective you use the highest quality ingrediants available to make the best dish. Not sure if I think this carries over into cocktails...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby JWFokker » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:47 am

Well, I'm sure the best cocktails could be made with the best whiskies, but as a whisky enthusiast, I think it's a waste of good whisky. I mean, you could make beef stroganoff with Filet Mignon, but you use chuck roast or flank steak instead because it's just not deserving of a high grade cut of meat.
JWFokker

Postby martin grant » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 am

JWFokker wrote:Well, I'm sure the best cocktails could be made with the best whiskies, but as a whisky enthusiast, I think it's a waste of good whisky. I mean, you could make beef stroganoff with Filet Mignon, but you use chuck roast or flank steak instead because it's just not deserving of a high grade cut of meat.

If you want a really good beef stroganoff you could use fillet steak. If you use the best ingredients you can, you end up with the best dish. Same rule applies to cocktails.
Peaty whiskies work well in cocktails as well. You should try making an old fashioned, but swap the bourbon for some Ardbeg
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Klas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:06 am

Mixing my Ardbeg with Pernod, Peach liqueur, Green Chartreuse or sweet Vermouth?

No thanks! Whisky cocktails is not the thing for me.

Klas
Klas
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder