Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

E-tasting

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Good idea?

Yes get the bottles open...
92%
No i'll stick to drinking on my own thanks...
8%

Total votes : 13

E-tasting

Postby jotter » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Has anyone ever organised a tasting for forum members? I thought it might be interesting to get to meet a few like minded individuals for a dram or two? :thumbsup:
jotter

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:53 pm

Yes, great idea, I've thought about it! Set up a tasting of whisky that are easy to come by, available to most of us. Or have it be open, with guests wanting to join input what they wanna taste hoping others have the same whiskies to taste, thus a discussion to take place. Or maybe it's just easier said than done? Or maybe what we're doing already around here is a form or virtual tasting, at our own pace, less organized, drinking at our own pace. Not bad at all!
Doesn't Spirit of Islay (Gordon) do a Wednesday thing on his site, I'm sure he and his guests are sipping and tasting? I haven't joined in yet, but have been planning too. Just I'm rarely off Wednesday nights.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi Jonathon ,
your quite correct we do a small chat every wednesday night on my site . We do drink and chat about Drams during it but we also talk about other things .
We've had "Guests" on the chat and even had people from the trade dropping in from time to time , the wednesday chat is timed for people from Europe but we've had people from America coming in regular .
On a thursday night /friday morning (Depending on where your from !) the Plowed mob use the room for their thursday night chat .
Everyones welcome but you do need to register to get in as in the past i've found some unwelcomed dodgy logs so need to know who's using it .

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:17 pm

Yeah great idea!

Or perhaps to ensure enough participants across timezones and markets, we could model it more after the MM Jolts.

One weekend, one distillery, all expressions goes.... ?
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:55 pm

Jolly good idea, let's organise it!
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:22 am

Yes, we should do it! And since Spirit of Islay is already doing this, we should all join in! I have yet to sign up, (but I do still have your pm regarding how to do it Spirit of Islay!) It sounds like a bit more bang for our buck! And supporting each other is always a nice pleasure!
Di Blasi

Postby Ganga » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:25 am

Every Friday night and sometimes Saturday as well. Mikey, can we conference people in?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:26 am

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Ganga wrote:Every Friday night and sometimes Saturday as well. Mikey, can we conference people in?

If you mean into my chatroom , no .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Yes, we should do it! And since Spirit of Islay is already doing this, we should all join in! I have yet to sign up, (but I do still have your pm regarding how to do it Spirit of Islay!) It sounds like a bit more bang for our buck! And supporting each other is always a nice pleasure!

Hmm... would it not be better to do it here in the forums? Chat are well and good - but time differences would make it hard for some members to participate. Much better IMHO to declare weekend X for Malt Y weekend and make a thread were members share notes on the expressions in their glasses and discussing the distillery and it's offerings.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Steve Rush » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:53 pm

Sounds like a great idea...
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

E tastings

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:12 am

Jotter:
I've done some "live tastings" while on the forum a few times and would enjoy getting together with a group of like minded individuals to do so. Mayhaps something could be set up under the auspices of the existing User groups in a side discussion area.

Matt, this would give a great reason for having such groups. Would it be possible? The members have been "vetted" so are trustworthy types I would assume.

I am definitely interested, however there's a 6 hour time diffence between myself and Europe . Badmonkey in Alberta is an hour later while poor Lawrence and Killerwhale out West are two hours beyond me.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:31 am

Just make it Saturday. :o Noon my time is 8 pm London time. 8)
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Matt2 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:25 am

Sounds like a great idea, let me know if you want some of groups setup....
Matt2

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder